Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Fixed" greenhouse - no glass roof effect :(

I'm very sorry to see that the "fix" they came up with for the greenhouse didn't take into account one of my favourite glass roof effects - the shadows thrown by the glass roof pieces' framework... I love that effect in sunrooms.

See what I mean here:

Before the update:
screenshotnp.jpg

After the update:
screenshot2gi.jpg

Anyone shares my opinion?
I once started a Sims blog called My Sims Pieces (snapshots and stories from the lives of my Sims) and maybe I'll get back to it one day...

Comments

• Options
    nytikanytika Posts: 275 Member
    edited December 2012
    i can definitely see what you are saying. but in my opinion i think a functioning greenhouse is more better than shadows. but the shadows do add to the game also. even though we spend plenty of money on these things they never fully fix stuff. it sucks because we want whats promised.
  • Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    edited December 2012
    I'm big on visuals, so I also think this is unfortunate. However, from my understanding, they fixed the greenhouse by adding invisible ceiling tiles to it, so this effect makes sense. They needed to act quickly on this issue, and they have, but perhaps they can rework it again sometime in the future to enable the full greenhouse effect.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    SimCarlexSimCarlex Posts: 349 Member
    edited December 2012
    One can only hope! :)
    I once started a Sims blog called My Sims Pieces (snapshots and stories from the lives of my Sims) and maybe I'll get back to it one day...
  • Options
    savethestarlightsavethestarlight Posts: 350 New Member
    edited December 2012
    BryonyRae wrote:
    I'm big on visuals, so I also think this is unfortunate. However, from my understanding, they fixed the greenhouse by adding invisible ceiling tiles to it, so this effect makes sense. They needed to act quickly on this issue, and they have, but perhaps they can rework it again sometime in the future to enable the full greenhouse effect.

I agree with this. Trust me, I'm so happy it's finally fixed! But if somewhere down the road they could update it so that the shadows came back that would be appreciated. But don't get me wrong, if they don't, it's not that big a deal either, I'm thrilled it's fixed, like I said :D
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited December 2012
    What a bummer!
    And BryonyRae, I wouldn't hold my breath for another update.
    We can count ourselves lucky for EA doing that ONE fix.
    That's more than we could ever expect in the past.
    For instance many of us are still waiting for a revamped launcher. :(
    I am just back from wasting two hours of work. The greenhouse wasn't listed under installed content (but it was installed!).
    So I had to clear out the DCCache folder and install every content again from scratch!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    VihzelVihzel Posts: 734 New Member
    edited December 2012
    That is a real bummer. The glass roof shadows looks really beautiful! EA just didn't really think the greenhouse all the way through.
  • Options
    chopin27chopin27 Posts: 764 Member
    edited December 2012
    No glass roof shadows and unfinished room moodlet....
    Now my sim got a new moodlet, "Not as seen on TV -50".
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    edited December 2012
    Just be there is somewhat of a fix and I really doubt they will get this a true greenhouse with shadows.

Don't worry.Be happy. :D
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    So they have just placed floor tiles under the roof.
    That's a bad joke. We could have done THAT ourselves with the help of Inge's mod!
    Thanks for nothing, EA.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited December 2012
    IKR, Cyron? I was using Inge's mod before this fix, but now seeing how things are working with the fix, I think I will keep the old set and Inge's mod. Sad.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited December 2012
    I waited for the fix before I used the greenhouse so I wouldn't have even known about this. But now I know... I miss it too! :cry::lol:

It does seem a shame that they've gone. I'm happy with the fix though. :D
  • Options
    FriedCheezFriedCheez Posts: 24
    edited December 2012
    If you remove the flat roof under the glass pieces, you'll get those shadows back. That's what I'm doing 3 out of 4 seasons, then I replace it for winter. :wink:
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    FriedCheez wrote:
    If you remove the flat roof under the glass pieces, you'll get those shadows back. That's what I'm doing 3 out of 4 seasons, then I replace it for winter. :wink:
    Way to go! And what do you do when it's raining - in spring, summer or fall? :roll:
    Anyway that's not what I call a fix.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    FriedCheezFriedCheez Posts: 24
    edited December 2012
    Cyron43 wrote:
    FriedCheez wrote:
    Way to go! And what do you do when it's raining - in spring, summer or fall? :roll:
    Anyway that's not what I call a fix.

Oh gawd... my plants will get wet! You know how much plants hate water.

Seriously. I was trying to give an alternative option for people. No reason to get an attitude.
  • Options
    SimCarlexSimCarlex Posts: 349 Member
    edited December 2012
    FriedCheez wrote:

But I like the shadows they cast in sunrooms (which are used during all four seasons)...
  • Options
    evilsockladyevilsocklady Posts: 86 Member
    edited December 2012
    SimCarlex wrote:
    FriedCheez wrote:

But I like the shadows they cast in sunrooms (which are used during all four seasons)...

Totally an understandable want (the shadows are so pretty!!). But I don't know if there's any way around it with the current game engine.

When the roof pieces were conceptualized and initially developed, it was most likely in a Seasons-free game.
    So the roof pieces were designed to be sculptures that would let light through. Sculptures can let light through, but unfortunately they also let weather through.

Instead of acting like sculptures, many people wanted the roof pieces to act like roofs.
    Roofs don't let weather through, but unfortunately they also don't let light through.

If I had to guess, I'd bet that there is something deep within the Seasons code that defines how roofs work with weather/light and how regular objects work with weather/light, and there is no way to make the roof pieces get a roof's weather effects and an object's lighting effects without altering the actual Seasons code specifically for these pieces... which is just something I do not see happening when you consider these roof objects only equate to maybe $4 worth of the venue (Aside from the fact there would have to be cross-team support, there could be compatibility issues altering the game to have a special case for a particular object the user might not actually have, plus corner-cases in general make a code ugly and possibly slower).

Use the pieces as sculpture as they were originally developed and advertised, or use them as roof in the way the team has graciously developed into an official fix.

We can hope one day we get the best of both worlds, but the little work I did with computer graphics in college, aside from reflection, lighting and transparency were two of the trickiest issues. So we'll probably be waiting a while.

Here's hoping though!
  • Options
    nikkicat21nikkicat21 Posts: 41 Member
    edited December 2012
    Maybe it is just me but I just downloaded the venue for the first time and start building a greenhouse on a home lot and I have shadows so I don't know what to say in response to this topic....
  • Options
    lizbethbearlizbethbear Posts: 3,201 Member
    edited December 2012
    nikkicat21 wrote:
    Maybe it is just me but I just downloaded the venue for the first time and start building a greenhouse on a home lot and I have shadows so I don't know what to say in response to this topic....

Did you put a flat roof underneath these roof pieces?
    WznfzGr.gif
  • Options
    AznSenseiAznSensei Posts: 11,789 Member
    edited December 2012
    Think of it this way:

- For those who don't have Seasons, well you aren't required to have those flat roofs under the pieces so removing them would be pretty okay and you can have shadows and still garden like normal.

- For those with Seasons, well, unfortunately I don't think anyone had considered shadowing effects, probably not even the programming team tbh as the main focus was to add the blocking of weather, but not showing roof tiles.

We "may" see an update in the future, but I don't think this one would be a huge priority, versus others which hasn't been updated for a long time.

I think this would be an example of a flaw in the game itself tbh, but not a major one.
  • Options
    Jillyson_Twozaks_1Jillyson_Twozaks_1 Posts: 3,334 New Member
    edited December 2012
    Cyron43 wrote:
    What a bummer!
    I am just back from wasting two hours of work. The greenhouse wasn't listed under installed content (but it was installed!).
    So I had to clear out the DCCache folder and install every content again from scratch!

I just did the same thing - I thought I was losing my mind & kept missing it! Lol!
    I haven't removed it via the DC Cache yet, so I haven't redownloaded. Is there a new roof tile that comes with it now? (since the flat roof we have now has color)
  • Options
    nikkicat21nikkicat21 Posts: 41 Member
    edited December 2012
    Oops, that's what I get for being half asleep on the forums but I wanted to play with my new greenhouse! Thanks, for giving me the heads up I'll have to fix it tomorrow after I'm done studying for finals. :)
  • Options
    maria_loves_alexmaria_loves_alex Posts: 9,054 Member
    edited December 2012
    blewis823 wrote:
    IKR, Cyron? I was using Inge's mod before this fix, but now seeing how things are working with the fix, I think I will keep the old set and Inge's mod. Sad.

I think I will do the same, save myself the headache of uninstalling only to be dissappointed >.<
    My Page: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/maria_loves_alex

Follow me on the Sims 4 Gallery - ID 'MariannaSims'
  • Options
    MSladyTSOMSladyTSO Posts: 2,586 Member
    edited December 2012
    If tiles are required under the Greenhouse roof pieces for them to keep out snow and rain... wouldnt it work to just give us clear glass floor/ceiling tiles? That way we could have tiles under the Greenhouse pieces that would let light through. The tiles could have edges that show (metal-like), and/or they could be like the carpet tiles and create a seamless surface when laid down. I'd love to have glass tiles (yes I know I have said this buncha times) :)
  • Options
    AznSenseiAznSensei Posts: 11,789 Member
    edited December 2012
    MSladyTSO wrote:
    If tiles are required under the Greenhouse roof pieces for them to keep out snow and rain... wouldnt it work to just give us clear glass floor/ceiling tiles? That way we could have tiles under the Greenhouse pieces that would let light through. The tiles could have edges that show (metal-like), and/or they could be like the carpet tiles and create a seamless surface when laid down. I'd love to have glass tiles (yes I know I have said this buncha times) :)

We might just see that in the future, since they can sell tiles now through the Store.

Of course, they wouldn't give us free ones, like a normal business they'll probably sell it to us in the future.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,930 Member
    edited December 2012
    SimCarlex wrote:
    FriedCheez wrote:

This is what I've been thinking about doing. I think I'll turn some of the weather off (rain and hail) during 3 seasons and put the flat roof tiles back on the roof for winter when I want to have snow in my game. It may turn out that I end up turning weather effects off completely if I need to do that go get my shadows beck.