Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA Couldn't you fix these CAW issues in a patch?

Would like to install Seasons / 1.42

Just sayin' =(

Comments

• Options
    SimExpertJaredSimExpertJared Posts: 865 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I support the above statement

*Signs my name*

-Jared
  • Options
    ClairkPClairkP Posts: 136 Member
    edited December 2012
    Boy I would really like them to fix CAW. It's so hard to create at the moment
    Allergic to Trolls
  • Options
    Stablehand6Stablehand6 Posts: 288 Member
    edited December 2012
    Ditto, I've got Seasons sitting in a desk drawer here because I'm afraid to install it or 1.42. I'm dying to play Seasons, but I don't want the world I've been working on for well over 2 1/2 years now to become corrupt and inaccessible/unplayable in some way, or lose a ton of painstaking work. So, stuck in limbo here... A fix would be great... Oh well; going through all my lots and beta testing what I already have in the meantime...
  • Options
    StarbucaneerStarbucaneer Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited December 2012
    I agree, how difficult can it be to give us a copy of the Dev's CAW which obviously worked okay for them to produce Monte Vista?.
    Simming since the beginning! :)
  • Options
    leridianleridian Posts: 3 New Member
    edited December 2012
    Me too. Haven't even taken Seasons out of the plastic wrap. Wish I hadn't bought it now 'cause who knows when/if they're going to fix CAW. I like playing the game, but I like creating more.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited December 2012
    Hi :)

I'm sure if it was a simple fix it would have been fixed by now. Maybe it's more then just a little tweak. . .
    I agree, how difficult can it be to give us a copy of the Dev's CAW which obviously worked okay for them to produce Monte Vista?.

Was MV built with an updated program? I know the Greenhouse wasn't or they wouldn't have missed the snow on the ground. :lol:
  • Options
    tlc10175tlc10175 Posts: 2,550 Member
    edited December 2012
    It's been over a month with no news, no fixes and no *sign* of fixes. I am pretty sure they can resolve the 3 or 4 errors in a *simple* patch.

Edit I have seen WritinReg say they use Maya for worlds. Just the same this is a free program and I don't *obviously* see it getting priority.
  • Options
    SimNajaSimNaja Posts: 429 Member
    edited December 2012
    Yes please.. FIX IT :)
  • Options
    leridianleridian Posts: 3 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I just hope they realize that even though CAW is a free program, at least for me, it's the primary reason I stay interested enough to buy other content.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    leridian wrote:
    I just hope they realize that even though CAW is a free program, at least for me, it's the primary reason I stay interested enough to buy other content.

Ditto. =)
  • Options
    RemmoRemmo Posts: 597 Member
    edited December 2012
    I hate to be grim, but I really don't think it's an issue of simple or hard problem to fix :(

Take, for example, not being able to register a game. This must be an incredibly simple thing to fix, but thousands of players haven't been able to register any games since Deisel released. I'm sure we can all think of many other simple fixes that just haven't happened but significantly effect many players.

I would imagine that it's more a case of EA (like many gaming companies) has simply had to reduce it's staff to a bare skeleton crew in order to balance the books. If it isn't essential for a majority of users to play the game, then I expect 99% of programmers time will be on the next item that will bring in cash. The rest of the error reports go into a 'file' known to you and me as the bin ;)This doesn't mean the team doesn't care, it's just the way it has to be.

If I were really synical, which I'm not(!), one might also notice the recent flurish of 'pay-for-this-new-world' if you want a change. Is it really a co-incidence that CaW has all but died? ;)

But seriously, as sad as it is, I'm not expecting any fix for CaW anytime soon. As proud as we are of our hard work, we're probably no more than a tiny slice of the Simmer market overal. If we were all to quit, I doubt it'd have much effect.

I'd just go ahead and install Season's. It's such a great addition to the game and make's the world so much more like a simulation. Trust me, I understand the want for CaW, but I really don't think it's going to happen.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    That's all we can do right now, is 'imagine' 'guess' and 'wonder' but we don't know because we aren't EA and we don't know EA's bottom line, we can only speculate.

I wish EA would speak up and say something.
    If they don't plan on fixing it or putting it off for six months for example, I wanna know so I can install my game and 1.42. That simple.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Rflong7 wrote:
    Hi :)

I'm sure if it was a simple fix it would have been fixed by now. Maybe it's more then just a little tweak. . .

Was MV built with an updated program? I know the Greenhouse wasn't or they wouldn't have missed the snow on the ground. :lol:

Hmmm I like to think that the Devs copy would be as up-to-date as possible to aviod the finished product failing to install in all our systems..... :shock: :wink: . I really REALLY miss CAW. I did bite the bullet and install seasons, and it is still wowing me BUT I really would like my beloved CAW fully functional again.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    tlc10175 wrote:
    It's been over a month with no news, no fixes and no *sign* of fixes. I am pretty sure they can resolve the 3 or 4 errors in a *simple* patch.

Edit I have seen WritinReg say they use Maya for worlds. Just the same this is a free program and I don't *obviously* see it getting priority.

Do we know if that is in actual fact what they use??
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I believe EA will fix it. Maybe not until after the Holidays, it's been my guess for the longest.

I don't think there's a conspiracy or a desire to drop CAW. These were all tossed around when CAW took so long to update with Ambitions.

And no, even with Seasons this game wouldn't be more fun then using CAW. The only reason I still play and buy these games is because of CAW. Without CAW, there isn't any reason for me to play. Building is playing the game... that's the bottom line for me. :mrgreen:

• Options
    DocsprockDocsprock Posts: 3,869 Member
    edited December 2012
    tlc10175 wrote:

Well, they certainly cant use CAW. Not even for worlds like Sunset Valley. CAW does not have the capability to add sims/ghosts/etc. Never has.

CAW may have been developed originally to create EA worlds for TS3, but they found/built a much more compatible tool, and dropped CAW down to the masses for fooling around with.

I doubt they ever update it again. But then again, EA has been known for doing the opposite of what people expect. :roll:
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Rflong7 wrote:
    I believe EA will fix it. Maybe not until after the Holidays, it's been my guess for the longest.

I don't think there's a conspiracy or a desire to drop CAW. These were all tossed around when CAW took so long to update with Ambitions.

And no, even with Seasons this game wouldn't be more fun then using CAW. The only reason I still play and buy these games is because of CAW. Without CAW, there isn't any reason for me to play. Building is playing the game... that's the bottom line for me. :mrgreen:

Until Seasons came along I would spend more time creating worlds than actually playing the game.
    Once CAW is fixed I think it will be a 50/50 split for me from now on.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Docsprock wrote:
    tlc10175 wrote:

Well, they certainly cant use CAW. Not even for worlds like Sunset Valley. CAW does not have the capability to add sims/ghosts/etc. Never has.

CAW may have been developed originally to create EA worlds for TS3, but they found/built a much more compatible tool, and dropped CAW down to the masses for fooling around with.

I doubt they ever update it again. But then again, EA has been known for doing the opposite of what people expect. :roll:

Ahh... I would love them to release a Lite version of their world building tool. I would gladly buy it if they released it as an official add on to the game.
  • Options
    MSusko13MSusko13 Posts: 743 New Member
    edited December 2012
    My CAW Works fine... All updates installed and Seasons installed.

I did have to uninstall then re install CAW..... But it works
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    MSusko13 wrote:

You mean you can now export and install a new world made with CAW and the newest update? :)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    MSusko13 wrote:

When did you install? Are you able to export? Does EIG not crash? Are all your lots okay and not 'read only'?
  • Options
    CobranVidiaCobranVidia Posts: 56
    edited December 2012
    Considering the number of bugs in the actual game, I think EA has its hands full if it's actually doing anything to address the bugs at all.

I don't think the problems with the CAW have to do with them selling worlds online. Those have custom stuff like trees and objects. As well, the CAW was working with 1.38, so it's not like they can stop people from making worlds by forcing them to update somehow.

Anyway, rest assured I will not be paying 20 or more bucks for a custom world from the store. That's just insane.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2012
    Star Buccaneer - YES - we know for a fact they use World Builder plug in for Maya. SimGuruSmitty said it herself again just recently in her thread called ask a producer in the Store - worlds forum. But that has never been any secret - it was stated when they were building Sims 3 they used Maya. I was familiar with it just because my middle son needed help buying that program when he was in college - as it cost over 3000 dollars just for the professional version of Maya with out all the plug ins. So of course there was no way they could just give us what they used to create worlds - I understand they built CAW a sort of a real lite version of world builder - seeing we of course do not have Maya to use what they do.

I was just surprised they still are using the same program - but Smitty said herself it is like an Uber version of CAW.

Here I went and found this mention of it, but it was mentioned many times back in the beginning of the Sims 3 by Ben Bell and others when people kept asking them if we were going to get a map making tool and if we could possibly get what they use - they said sure we could use what they use if we had the money to invest in the programs and the courses it takes to learn to use Maya and it's plug ins... I knew the minute he said Maya - my son went to college 4 years studying the Maya program as well as C++ programming and he still had more to learn about using Maya. He used the map builder plug in though, not the world builder - so I was not at all familiar with it.. not that I am even familiar with Maya, other than having to take out al loan to help my son buy it. That I was real familiar with. hehehe

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/90/610545.page

"SimGuruSmitty

"mysticdiva2 wrote:2 quick questions, I read that they use a different program to create worlds than we do, whats the name of it.
    Also why do they always make mens pants so short? I would love to see normal length pants"

"We use a program called World Builder. It's like CAW but a more Uber version of it.

LOL. World Builders actually don't create the CAS content. But I will pass this on to our CAS team. "

(it's on page 7 - 3rd post in this thread)
    Post edited by Unknown User on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    jona67jona67 Posts: 259 New Member
    edited December 2012
    Does the 1.42 update ruin CAW too? And what have they done to CAW? What happened to it?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    jona67 wrote:
    Does the 1.42 update ruin CAW too? And what have they done to CAW? What happened to it?

Yes 1.42 and/or the installation of Seasons ruins CAW. Hoping they fix it. <=(