Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Successfully Exported & Installed World

So I don't want to post this too soon but today I successful exported and installed a world from the newer version of CAW. I just did a fresh install last night (Saturday night) on a world that I updated with Seasons. It kept crashing on me I discovered because of the big park I had that I made into a festival lot.

Essentially I went in and then added the seasonal lot changer ball thing and then afterwards in the neighborhood changed it to a festival lot. What I learned is that it then placed two of those on the lot which is what I think was causing it to crash.

There were 2 work arounds that I had to do to get this to work. When going into EIG, I have it minimized until loaded. And then to install I had to install it and then in the DC backup folder take the new file and transfer it to the Non-Packaged world files and then it worked just fine. I tested this a few different ways and sure enough every time I added that park I could not even load Storybrook to play it but without the park it was fine. I created a new festival lot and it was fine so I do not think it is that. Just wanted to give the heads up to anyone antsy to get their world in their game, this may work for you now :)

I hope it does... but don't read this EA and assume I am happy about having to go through this extra work to get my stuff to install! I'd still like it fixed without having to do all of this!

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2012
    SR, have you tried to see if the save made by doing it this way is also working? As people claim their saves won't work after they shut off the pc for the night and come back the next day to play - instead it crashes if it is lit, and others say the save will not even lit up or let them click on it. Atleast that is the last report I saw where people successfully got the world to work the way you described. Which is great if you never shut off your pc, but not so great for most of us that shut it off before we go to bed.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    SimRealtorSimRealtor Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited November 2012
    Hm... not sure but I will try it now :)
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Affirmative YES affirmative - I exported a world, installed it with the work around, started a game and made some progress, closed it down, restarted the computer and voila! Yes it was still there as I had left it! =D Here is to an updated Storybrook and Anne Arbor coming soon!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Excellent, now if everybody can get it to work - for some reason - even the one that came up with the work around reported they could not play their save after the pc was shut off all night. So it is good to know you aren't having that problem. I have been having that problem with a world we have been testing the save for and cannot seem to get them to work any where but on the creators machine. We download his files from media fire and so far the game keeps giving us the thing where "this save was made on a previous version or with eps you no longer have" which neither is true. It was made in his final version with all eps - it is obvious seeing there are Venues in the game from all eps made by EA even, and even one he made last night was still doing that. So you are lucky for sure.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited November 2012
    SR - another thing I just read you need to test in the save you got from that world - seeing you did get a save - is play in the save a little, then use edit town and add a house, do a little work on a lot and such, but do a few different things as a simmer might do in edit town, then save it and see if it shows all your progress and lets you continue. I also see two posts that did get a save - but they played their worlds a bit and then went into edit town to add some lots the CAW wouldn't let them add and to fix a couple of their houses, and then the game either would not let them save it - would crash I believe - or in the other case would not let them go back into the save , or the third, let them go back into the save but did not have the lots in it they added. Hopefully that is not confusing.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    ANNIEOVERANNIEOVER Posts: 2,014 Member
    edited November 2012
    Do you have the same updated CAW as everyone else? The CAW that went down a version after the new patch?

How can we share our CAW with.others who cannot access their EIG and read only files?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Yes I uninstalled CAW the other day and then installed a fresh version downloaded from their site. I have a few people testing this out and so far no one seems to be having any problems losing their save files. Guess I'm just lucky but I would still like EA to fix the issue with not being able to install correctly.
  • Options
    aynat134aynat134 Posts: 638 Member
    edited November 2012
    After reading this, I went into my CAW, deleted the seasons lots I created and saved.......it saved with no warnings! Ok so lets EIG......it loaded, didnt crash, let me edit. Ok lets save again....it did! No warnings no anything just a successful save! I havent tried to export and install yet, but I am content just working in CAW again for now. Besides the work around changing the package into world thing is fine for now too!

Thank SR!!! Yeah I can play in CAW again!!! I will just have to install the festival lots separte til CAW is updated. But thats ok! I was rebuilding lots for Peaceful Valley anyways for the seasons release. So I can do that for now!

Thanks so much again SR!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    aynat134 wrote:
    After reading this, I went into my CAW, deleted the seasons lots I created and saved.......it saved with no warnings! Ok so lets EIG......it loaded, didnt crash, let me edit. Ok lets save again....it did! No warnings no anything just a successful save! I havent tried to export and install yet, but I am content just working in CAW again for now. Besides the work around changing the package into world thing is fine for now too!

Thank SR!!! Yeah I can play in CAW again!!! I will just have to install the festival lots separte til CAW is updated. But thats ok! I was rebuilding lots for Peaceful Valley anyways for the seasons release. So I can do that for now!

Thanks so much again SR!

Actually just try making a new festival lot - I was still able to export after creating one. The issue is, if you go in and build and use a seasonal marker and then go out and make it a festival lot - it adds another one and that was my issue. If I made it start as one, or just never changed it to that, I didn't have a problem. Glad you got it working =D
  • Options
    aynat134aynat134 Posts: 638 Member
    edited November 2012
    SimRealtor wrote:
    Actually just try making a new festival lot - I was still able to export after creating one. The issue is, if you go in and build and use a seasonal marker and then go out and make it a festival lot - it adds another one and that was my issue. If I made it start as one, or just never changed it to that, I didn't have a problem. Glad you got it working =D

I will try later! I dont want to mess up what is working now for me!!! I will do it last minute!
  • Options
    SimExpertJaredSimExpertJared Posts: 865 New Member
    edited November 2012
    I need to bookmark this. I am having the trouble with EIG, it always crashes. I only have se game and Diesel.
  • Options
    JohnnySimsJohnnySims Posts: 76
    edited November 2012
    Can anyone help me? I am also using this new version of CAW, all of a sudden I can't get my world to show up in game... I export and install from the Launcher, it installs the world and it show up in the Installed tab as well.

But run the game, and it's not there. I notice it also doesn't show up in installed worlds in My Docs