Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tell me why "you" think it's so hard to install mods/cc?

Comments

• Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited June 2012
    MGSFan612 wrote:
    How is it difficult?

Maybe for generations that didn't grow up with home PCs but it should be simple for anyone in their 20's or younger. It uses the most basic of basic computer skills navigating and creating folders. How can you not know how to navigate or create folders when most if not all professors/teachers require you to type your essays/term papers/reports/etc(at least in America) which would mean you would need to know how to access your saved files by navigating through folders and therefore need to know how to create folders to put them in.
    Well this is what I was thinking but it appears to not be the case apparently. Hence the reason for this thread. :wink:
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    CoreyCanadianCoreyCanadian Posts: 5,701 Member
    edited June 2012
    I stayed away from mods because I was afraid of ruining my game, I don't really have mods but I sort of do, I have a program for changing the upload pictures, but either than that I'm free of mods or CC.
  • Options
    ChristGirl201ChristGirl201 Posts: 1,392 Member
    edited June 2012
    Truthfully, I was scared I would do something wrong and have to explain it all to my dad. But after seeing your thread, and bookmarking it for any future questions, I was able to figure everything out and am seriously checking out MS3B everyday. Not joking!!! I also had my dad by my side since he knows more about computers than I do, especially when it came to 7-Zip or WinZip because he knew those programs better than I did and also which sites to trust with getting the program. So, thanks to you I no longer have that awful LN glitch thanks to Nraas' Overwatch!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I stayed away from mods because I was afraid of ruining my game, I don't really have mods but I sort of do, I have a program for changing the upload pictures, but either than that I'm free of mods or CC.
    Yeah but that's not really the same thing. The Sim 3 UIC is just another program application like any other you have installed on your computer.
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
  • Options
    yoursharona34yoursharona34 Posts: 3,201 Member
    edited June 2012
    I didn't read this whole topic yet.. but yeah, I figured it out by using google and forum search. Reading is a beautiful thing.

I get pretty annoyed by seeing "How do you install mods?" topics every few days myself :P

But hey, I guess some people just don't understand folder and file/copy and paste/zip and unzip type things. Just start and run :)
  • Options
    Jamesmc2012Jamesmc2012 Posts: 1,264 New Member
    edited June 2012
    I didn't read this whole topic yet.. but yeah, I figured it out by using google and forum search. Reading is a beautiful thing.

I get pretty annoyed by seeing "How do you install mods?" topics every few days myself :P

But hey, I guess some people just don't understand folder and file/copy and paste/zip and unzip type things. Just start and run :)

But...but...there are just so many WORDS! D: You mean I have to READ??? Preposterous!
  • Options
    4thefunofit44thefunofit4 Posts: 3,032 Member
    edited June 2012
    Where should I begin?? I wrote a huge paragraph (That I won't be sharing apparently) about my experiences and with my experiences with others. Some people really don't know. A lot need visuals like videos like on youtube. And a select few really don't want to know so it feels like they need you to hold their hand.

• Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited June 2012
    Blu - it saddens to me to say that I am one of those people who isn't very savvy about how their computer works. Of course, I am pretty cluey about working things out and being able to search for answers I need without bothering people like you who already have too much on their plates. I guess in my case it has something to do with teaching an old dog new tricks. I was already pretty long in the tooth before I ever saw a computer. :P
  • Options
    dark5id3dark5id3 Posts: 2,476 Member
    edited June 2012
    Hiya, Blu! :mrgreen:

Do you remember being in class before an exam and the professor is giving instrutions and says "absolutely no pens....pencils only". Then when he/she is finished with the instructions, they ask if there are any questions and someone invariably says "I don't have a pencil. Can I use a pen?" Clueless!! 'Nuff said! :roll:

And to all you people blaming age.....phooey!! I was in my 50's the first time I touched a computer and I know my computer inside out and backwards. :-)
    2rxu2ph.png
  • Options
    angldiorangldior Posts: 4,379 Member
    edited June 2012
    I see those " How do you install mods" all the time and I think it's mainly because people are lazy and would rather have someone else do it for them.

• Options
    ltd2mp87ltd2mp87 Posts: 728 Member
    edited June 2012
    dark5id3 wrote:

And to all you people blaming age.....phooey!! I was in my 50's the first time I touched a computer and I know my computer inside out and backwards. :-)

Yea thats true, age is totally irrelevant. I know as many young people as I do old people who are completely clueless about computers.
    I think it has more to do with the way people's brains function. They process and organize information in their minds' in a way that is incompatible with computers.
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited June 2012
    dark5id3 wrote:
    I actually agree with this. I choose not to spend time working out how my computer works but, by the same token, I am more than capable of finding out what's wrong on my own and fixing it.
  • Options
    Angelllite7Angelllite7 Posts: 9,730 Member
    edited June 2012
    haha blu, this post was a long time coming! Unfortunately, I think you'll still see a lot of the same, but at least now you can direct those to here. :)
  • Options
    SmithMarshSmithMarsh Posts: 1,057 Member
    edited June 2012
    Yeh, I remember the time that I did some volunteering that was in my same work "area of expertise". :lol: Which of course meant that during my off hours when it would have been better to be destressing, I got to deal with the same frustrations I did at my job.

Give yourself a break, and do something when you aren't at work that is basically the opposite of your job. If it's bothering you enough to make a thread, the chances that you will unknowingly grit your teeth when the CEO calls you in to fix his computer are increased.
  • Options
    smilesandlovesmilesandlove Posts: 548 New Member
    edited June 2012
    The bottom line is, everyone is different.

Has anyone ever heard about the different styles of learning? Some people can just hear someone tell them how to do something one time, and then they can do it themselves perfectly. Others, myself included, are visual learners, and have to actually SEE it being done before they can even attempt to understand it.

This is how it was with me for installing mods. I couldn't figure it out just from going off of the extremely well-written guide Blu posted. I needed to look up videos on YouTube of people taking video of themselves actually setting up the framework/resource (the part that gave me trouble) to supplement the great information she posted for us. I don't think there is anything wrong with not knowing exactly what to do.

Yes, I know, some people are actually lazy and if they can't figure it out on their own, they will head straight to the forums and start a topic on it when they could have easily searched and found a million old topics asking the same exact question.

I'd just like to emphasize again, everyone is different. Something may be mind-numbingly simple for one person, but it could be the equivalent to rocket science for someone else. Even a young person such as myself may not have always had access to a computer, which is true for me. So yes, while I learned about computers in school, I didn't always have one of my own to actually apply the info I learned to practice and as such the info kind of slipped away from me.

I think everyone on this forum is very kind and helpful and I appreciate everyone's willingness to help. I just wanted to share my thoughts so the people who have had issues aren't afraid to ask for help when they need it.
  • Options
    MayIHaveACookieMayIHaveACookie Posts: 20,488 Member
    edited June 2012
    Okay, when I first tried to install a mod, I failed. Miserable. Same with the next few times. I found it hard and confusing. :XD:

Now when I know how to install them, I feel like an idiot. It's so simple once you know how. I bet I frustrated a lot of people when I asked for help - it did take me a WHILE. I don't think it's fair getting really irritated with people who have trouble. I mean, some people find it harder than others.
    sb2cck.gif
  • Options
    SimNajaSimNaja Posts: 429 Member
    edited June 2012
    Okay, when I first tried to install a mod, I failed. Miserable. Same with the next few times. I found it hard and confusing. :XD:

Now when I know how to install them, I feel like an idiot. It's so simple once you know how. I bet I frustrated a lot of people when I asked for help - it did take me a WHILE. I don't think it's fair getting really irritated with people who have trouble. I mean, some people find it harder than others.

Thank you..

I am one of them who really dont get it.. I tried to search on the internet for an answer, but i still dont get it..
    My problem is my english. I use this page because it is much better than my own language. And i don't get all the explanations.

but why not solve the problem by creating a locked post with pictures and a description of how to do it.

Maybe it can make all us "dummies" to understand it and not keep asking.. :)
  • Options
    PhantomflexPhantomflex Posts: 3,607 Member
    edited June 2012
    I think that the biggest problem people have with installing mods/cc is that they don't take the time to read up on the mods they are downloading. Laziness is factored in that. Creating the setup is only a matter of new folder, new folder, Resource CFG.

All of Twallan's mods for example have specific instructions for uninstalling, updating, and patching, yet many people probably don't know that because they didn't *gasp* read! That is one reason why many people's games are corrupted and that bad experience stops them from using mods/cc again and starts them whining on about how mods/cc are bad.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    dark5id3 wrote:
    Hiya, Blu! :mrgreen:
    Do you remember being in class before an exam and the professor is giving instrutions and says "absolutely no pens....pencils only". Then when he/she is finished with the instructions, they ask if there are any questions and someone invariably says "I don't have a pencil. Can I use a pen?" Clueless!! 'Nuff said! :roll:

Yes I do. And I agree age is irrelevent to some degree.
    SmithMarsh wrote:
    Yeh, I remember the time that I did some volunteering that was in my same work "area of expertise". :lol: Which of course meant that during my off hours when it would have been better to be destressing, I got to deal with the same frustrations I did at my job.

Give yourself a break, and do something when you aren't at work that is basically the opposite of your job. If it's bothering you enough to make a thread, the chances that you will unknowingly grit your teeth when the CEO calls you in to fix his computer are increased.
    I take breaks all the time especially from the Technical Forum. I just want to know what it is that people are looking at when the path is pretty much the same. Is it the instruction or is it the person's own ability? I'm still under the impression that what I posted in the original post is still the case. None of the people are sitting down in front of a computer for the first time ever.
    The bottom line is, everyone is different.

Has anyone ever heard about the different styles of learning? Some people can just hear someone tell them how to do something one time, and then they can do it themselves perfectly. Others, myself included, are visual learners, and have to actually SEE it being done before they can even attempt to understand it.

This is how it was with me for installing mods. I couldn't figure it out just from going off of the extremely well-written guide Blu posted. I needed to look up videos on YouTube of people taking video of themselves actually setting up the framework/resource (the part that gave me trouble) to supplement the great information she posted for us. I don't think there is anything wrong with not knowing exactly what to do.

Yes, I know, some people are actually lazy and if they can't figure it out on their own, they will head straight to the forums and start a topic on it when they could have easily searched and found a million old topics asking the same exact question.

I'd just like to emphasize again, everyone is different. Something may be mind-numbingly simple for one person, but it could be the equivalent to rocket science for someone else. Even a young person such as myself may not have always had access to a computer, which is true for me. So yes, while I learned about computers in school, I didn't always have one of my own to actually apply the info I learned to practice and as such the info kind of slipped away from me.

I think everyone on this forum is very kind and helpful and I appreciate everyone's willingness to help. I just wanted to share my thoughts so the people who have had issues aren't afraid to ask for help when they need it.
    I won't disagree that everyone learns in different ways, as I have taught plenty. That's still not an excuse (in this case), because you're either running Windows or you're on a Mac OS. I am Windows Certified and the path on that operating system is pretty much the same. Everyone is playing "The Sims 3" and the installation of game data files is the same. People don't have a problem getting to the sims 3 folder under Documents (in most cases), they have a problem following directions. Again, none of these people are sitting down in front of a computer for the first time.

Even if an image is placed in the directions, people will swear up and down their folder looks just like the one in the image. When you have them post a screenshot, it looks nothing like the image in the directions. So tell me what are people looking at?

Is it really that hard to right-click and create a folder, then name it; Do it again and save a file? Seriously, that is about as basic as it gets. There is your framework in the most basics of terms.
    SimNaja wrote:

Thank you..

I am one of them who really dont get it.. I tried to search on the internet for an answer, but i still dont get it..
    My problem is my english. I use this page because it is much better than my own language. And i don't get all the explanations.

but why not solve the problem by creating a locked post with pictures and a description of how to do it.

Maybe it can make all us "dummies" to understand it and not keep asking.. :)
    Your situation is a bit different and in the case of a language barrier I always make an exception, even though your English in this post is pretty good. However, you're still using either Windows or a Mac, so the computer operating system is the same.

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    nicolebrittanyynicolebrittanyy Posts: 6,513 Member
    edited June 2012
    I don't think it's hard now, but back in 09 when I first got the game, I admit that I was just being lazy :lol: I saw the instructions and I immediately thought, "Holy cow. I don't feel like reading all of that!" When the time came when I really wanted mods in my game, I read through it all and it actually seemed fairly simple.

Then again, everyone is different. I also had experience with mods and cc from TS2, so it wasn't really anything new to me. Some people are actually scared to do anything because they think they might mess their game up, others literally do not have a clue what they're doing, others don't really want to take the extra time to do it, or some people just expect someone else to do it for them :P But when the time comes when they really want mods and cc in their game, they'll take the time and figure it out sooner or later.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I don't think it's hard now, but back in 09 when I first got the game, I admit that I was just being lazy :lol: I saw the instructions and I immediately thought, "Holy cow. I don't feel like reading all of that!" When the time came when I really wanted mods in my game, I read through it all and it actually seemed fairly simple.

Then again, everyone is different. I also had experience with mods and cc from TS2, so it wasn't really anything new to me. Some people are actually scared to do anything because they think they might mess their game up, others literally do not have a clue what they're doing, others don't really want to take the extra time to do it, or some people just expect someone else to do it for them :P But when the time comes when they really want mods and cc in their game, they'll take the time and figure it out sooner or later.
    Installing it the old way was actually more dangerous because it was in the Program files. So back then you better had paid attention because if you messed up in the Program files, you would be uninstalling/reinstalling. It's much easier now than it was before because you only get one folder for game data. Everybody gets one and it's in the same place. And yes you're right that what it boils down to is people are going to have to read/learn sooner or later. Just depends on how bad they want it.
  • Options
    smilesandlovesmilesandlove Posts: 548 New Member
    edited June 2012
    Well I'm sorry, but I have a feeling you only made this topic to get a bunch of people together to agree with you that we (those who have problems installing mods) are all idiots.

People give you their reasons, and your only response is to say "how hard is it to make two folders" or something along those lines. I thought you wanted real responses, but maybe you just wanted to make us feel stupid.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Well I'm sorry, but I have a feeling you only made this topic to get a bunch of people together to agree with you that we (those who have problems installing mods) are all idiots.

People give you their reasons, and your only response is to say "how hard is it to make two folders" or something along those lines. I thought you wanted real responses, but maybe you just wanted to make us feel stupid.
    People that know me know that is not the case. And the only person that can make you feel stupid is you. Now if you have some feedback on how to make it easier for others to install them that is fine. However, your response was to provide another excuse as to why it is hard. If that's your answer then what's a solution? Images are already provided in most of the documentation which I stated. If you have no other feedback or solutions as to how to improve then don't come back and whine about it.

ETA: I usually don't create a topic for the sake of creating a topic. There is usually some thought put into it before I create it. :wink:
  • Options
    dylsoccer12dylsoccer12 Posts: 9,357 New Member
    edited June 2012
    It was confusing at first, but if you really try and understand you eventually get it if you aren't lazy. Now when I see those "How do you install mods" threads, I skip right over them. -__-
  • Options
    ChanticoChantico Posts: 793 Member
    edited June 2012
    Honestly? I think it's pretty simple . At first I didn't want any CC/mods but then I just gave in to temptation 8) . I think I skimmed one tutorial and I was ready to go. What I don't understand is how using WinRar can be confusing . After all , we've got google . But maybe it's just me : I always try to look for a solution to my problem myself should I have one.
    "Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top