Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tell me why "you" think it's so hard to install mods/cc?

Comments

• KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    edited June 2012
    Honestly, it's overwhelming to me. I'm afraid of irreversibly messing something up. I've read and re-read those instructions and I just can't muster up the courage. I guess you could say I'm scared of failing. (Woah, this turned into a therapy session!)

To me, technology is a little like magic. I point my remote control at my tv, and magically the channel changes. I don't crack open my remote to see how. So trying to metaphorically crack open my computer to change stuff is equally as foreign to me.

But I've accepted this fact. I try not to beat myself up about it. I appreciate all the help that you and lots of other simmers give to everyone around here. It makes me happy!
    giphy.gif

• EuanSimEuanSim Posts: 2,345 Member
    edited June 2012
    I'll admit, I used to get really frustrated when I tried to install mods. Why? I didn't do it properly. It only takes a few clicks for me now, and whomph, I'm done. It's a very simple thing to do.

For beginners, it can be tricky. They may not know how to extract or whatever, but in general, the people who try to install them and fail are usually quite lazy.
  • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited June 2012
    True story I kid you not. Our IT group at work has placed an icon on the desktop of every computer on our network that will give the computer name and serial number of the computer. We need this information so we can access their computers remotely. And several times a week, I have to tell someone to get out from under their desk looking for that icon. That icon has been on their desktop for over 3 year. :lol:
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • brunettesimgirlbrunettesimgirl Posts: 6,370 Member
    edited June 2012
    I don't think it is.

I think what happens, other than what other people have already mentioned, is they are not familiar with their computer (how to set them up), and maybe the terminology? I really don't know...your thread on how to install CC seems really straight forward to me. :?: :?: :?:
    eOI9EQ4.gif
  • HaidenHaiden Posts: 3,841 Member
    edited June 2012
    First off . . Heya Blue, it's been awhile :mrgreen:

I thinks it's because of two things, peeps don't read. . . And most don't know their way around a pc. With just a little pc savyness, and the instructions you post here in the forums, it should be pretty straight forward.

• SpazzAttkSpazzAttk Posts: 876 New Member
    edited June 2012
    Wow. I was going to comment here, but anything I could have said has been covered nicely. :D

Anyhow Blu, I just hope you don't let the frustrations change who you are and discourage you from helping those in need. I have seen very nice people become very embittered in situations like this. Just saying, be "You" and try your hardest to let the irritants roll off.

Happy Simming all. :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    edited June 2012
    Haiden wrote:

I thinks it's because of two things, peeps don't read. . . And most don't know their way around a pc. With just a little pc savyness, and the instructions you post here in the forums, it should be pretty straight forward.

Heya back. I posted a message on your wall Thursday, so check your messages. "I" could use your assistance. :wink:

*hugs & junk*
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
  • RAE2786RAE2786 Posts: 683 New Member
    edited June 2012
    I think it would be best to direct people who are clueless about mods to the modthesims cc basics help page. I know it helped me tremendously the first time I added mods to the game since it was so straight forward and easy to read. They even have the framework set up for those people so they don't have to make the folders themselves.
    I just think people can get overwhelmed when presented with SO much information that they have to read through when in fact it basically takes a couple of seconds to set it up :-) .
    edited June 2012
    blunote00 wrote:
    Haiden wrote:

Heya back. I posted a message on your wall Thursday, so check your messages. "I" could use your assistance. :wink:

*hugs & junk*

Kk will go check its out. . .;)
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    edited June 2012
    blunote00 wrote:
    True story I kid you not. Our IT group at work has placed an icon on the desktop of every computer on our network that will give the computer name and serial number of the computer. We need this information so we can access their computers remotely. And several times a week, I have to tell someone to get out from under their desk looking for that icon. That icon has been on their desktop for over 3 year. :lol:

:lol: Now this makes me feel better.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
    edited June 2012
    RAE2786 wrote:
    I think it would be best to direct people who are clueless about mods to the modthesims cc basics help page. I know it helped me tremendously the first time I added mods to the game since it was so straight forward and easy to read. They even have the framework set up for those people so they don't have to make the folders themselves.
    I just think people can get overwhelmed when presented with SO much information that they have to read through when in fact it basically takes a couple of seconds to set it up :-) .
    I have directed people to the CC Basics and it is informative. However, this falls under homework imo.

As for automated frameworks, I'm not fond of them and I'll tell you why. Before the the current one they used to have Delphy's Installer Helper Monkey. Now EA can and has change their code at any time. When they changed how CC was installed, anyone that had that automated framework was lost. They didn't know what the framework had installed and where. Lots of people messed up their games.

To me if you rely on this automation you'll be sorry in the long run. People need to know what and where things are being installed on their computers. And even with the new framework.zip setup, people are still getting it wrong. And that is why I previously posted here I will not help those that go that route. People are to always too quick to post the link for that and it does not always work for everyone. I've had to help someone fix their Mac because of it. Never again!

At least with my guides, I'm around to help you on a regular basis.
  • Julia526Julia526 Posts: 4,194 Member
    edited June 2012
    The only thing I got confused about was learning how to use Winzip but, you helped me and I haven't had a problem since. But that was after I had been using CC for months on my mac and had just switched to a PC.

But, one thing I hate, is when people say that it takes too long to set up the framework. Seriously? Making two folders and dropping a file in one of them is hard?
    edited June 2012
    Kk blue, I will go look for that post I made ( though I think it was awhile back), might take some time to find it and I will post back to the thread in question

:mrgreen:
    edited June 2012
    Haiden wrote:
    Kk blue, I will go look for that post I made ( though I think it was awhile back), might take some time to find it and I will post back to the thread in question

:mrgreen:
    Oh thank you love. :wink: I looked too and couldn't find it.
    But I could have overlooked it I was going off about 2-3 hours sleep over a 72 hour period. :shock:

Thanks again your're the best! :mrgreen:
  • RAE2786RAE2786 Posts: 683 New Member
    edited June 2012
    blunote00 wrote:
    RAE2786 wrote:
    I have directed people to the CC Basics and it is informative. However, this falls under homework imo.

As for automated frameworks, I'm not fond of them and I'll tell you why. Before the the current one they used to have Delphy's Installer Helper Monkey. Now EA can and has change their code at any time. When they changed how CC was installed, anyone that had that automated framework was lost. They didn't know what the framework had installed and where. Lots of people messed up their games.

To me if you rely on this automation you'll be sorry in the long run. People need to know what and where things are being installed on their computers. And even with the new framework.zip setup, people are still getting it wrong. And that is why I previously posted here I will not help those that go that route. People are to always too quick to post the link for that and it does not always work for everyone. I've had to help someone fix their Mac because of it. Never again!

At least with my guides, I'm around to help you on a regular basis.

I'm sorry for those who get it wrong but their instructions are pretty straightforward, they even stress that the framework folders they've set up should only be used if your game is patched above 1.12. If someone gets even simple instructions like THAT wrong then they should not be using mods at all.
    edited June 2012
    RAE2786 wrote:
    I'm sorry for those who get it wrong but their instructions are pretty straightforward, they even stress that the framework folders they've set up should only be used if your game is patched above 1.12. If someone gets even simple instructions like THAT wrong then they should not be using mods at all.
    Nothing against Delphy (brilliant dev btw) or anyone else at MTS. I just don't think some things should be automated. :wink:
  • skm36skm36 Posts: 2,754 Member
    edited June 2012
    Speaking for myself, I was a little scared at first to put mods in my game. I honestly didn't think I could, without messing up my computer. But, as you said, do your homework. So, with the same determination that I used finding a gaming laptop, I used for information on how to install mods. I came across your post on installing the new way. I will confess I needed to go over it a couple of times to understand. I did not grow up with the computer age and some of the lingo goes over my head. Plus I was used to my mac so, I was having to learn all about my laptop and how it worked.
    But, I was determine to figure it out. I guess , I'm a little bit of a lame brain when it comes to computers. But, with all that said, your instructions helped me a lot. You were very informative and even had pictures showing everything.
    Needless to say because of your instructions , I did understand and it actually only took me 10 minutes from start to finish to get the stuff setup for mods. It took me longer to pick the mods I wanted than installing the folders for them.
    I said a big thank you on your other post and I'm saying a big thank you again. Because, of your instructions I was able to walk my sister through it over the phone. I am now a happy mod user because you took the time to make a post to help us who didn't get it. :mrgreen:
    j7zqrt.jpg
    edited June 2012
    @ Blu

Ik I found the post, dunno if is the rite one, but from what I can see from her thread, it's possible the photo editing programme she my be using does not seem to recognize PNG, or the pics may be getting saved in the wrong format. The screens should show up in her launcher if she used the in game cam, and should also have saved them to default My Pics folder minus the control interface and interaction que. other that that. . . .i dunno :?
    edited June 2012
    skm36 wrote:
    Speaking for myself, I was a little scared at first to put mods in my game. I honestly didn't think I could, without messing up my computer. But, as you said, do your homework. So, with the same determination that I used finding a gaming laptop, I used for information on how to install mods. I came across your post on installing the new way. I will confess I needed to go over it a couple of times to understand. I did not grow up with the computer age and some of the lingo goes over my head. Plus I was used to my mac so, I was having to learn all about my laptop and how it worked.
    But, I was determine to figure it out. I guess , I'm a little bit of a lame brain when it comes to computers. But, with all that said, your instructions helped me a lot. You were very informative and even had pictures showing everything.
    Needless to say because of your instructions , I did understand and it actually only took me 10 minutes from start to finish to get the stuff setup for mods. It took me longer to pick the mods I wanted than installing the folders for them.
    I said a big thank you on your other post and I'm saying a big thank you again. Because, of your instructions I was able to walk my sister through it over the phone. I am now a happy mod user because you took the time to make a post to help us who didn't get it. :mrgreen:
    I remember you posting you walked your sister through it on the phone. :wink: Wooot... You go!
    I love it when people pass the knowledge forward. Thank you. :mrgreen:
    edited June 2012
    Haiden wrote:
    @ Blu

Ik I found the post, dunno if is the rite one, but from what I can see from her thread, it's possible the photo editing programme she my be using does not seem to recognize PNG, or the pics may be getting saved in the wrong format. The screens should show up in her launcher if she used the in game cam, and should also have saved them to default My Pics folder minus the control interface and interaction que. other that that. . . .i dunno :?
    Maybe that will be a work around for her until the real issue (I've seen others that have it), can be looked at by EA.

Well thank you for looking.
    Still drools over your hot avi :oops:
  • tashie_baby11tashie_baby11 Posts: 2,284 New Member
    edited June 2012
    It isn't hard at all! Especially not if it's in a sims3pack. I mean, how much easier can you get? Double click = install.

When I first started using .packages I sat my little butt down and read all of the tutorials on modthesims. I set up my packages folder ( forgot the resource file first time! lol ), but that was an easy fix. I mean, the tutorials are self-explanatory, and they even have a completed mods folder you can download on modthesims now. All you have to do is put it in place. It's easy. :/ I don't understand what the issue with it is.
  • skm36skm36 Posts: 2,754 Member
    edited June 2012
    You are very welcome. And my sister thanks you, because without you helping others and me understanding, she would not have mods in her game. :wink::mrgreen:
    j7zqrt.jpg
    edited June 2012
    It isn't hard at all! Especially not if it's in a sims3pack. I mean, how much easier can you get? Double click = install.

When I first started using .packages I sat my little butt down and read all of the tutorials on modthesims. I set up my packages folder ( forgot the resource file first time! lol ), but that was an easy fix. I mean, the tutorials are self-explanatory, and they even have a completed mods folder you can download on modthesims now. All you have to do is put it in place. It's easy. :/ I don't understand what the issue with it is.
    Well that's great! But I so prefer (.package) files over (.sims3pack) files any day. I feel I have much more control using (.package) files. Any third party (.sim3pack) files have to be 1) installed via the launcher, and 2) get mixed with all your official EA game / store content. Besides the launcher is a shepherd for the devil and just pure evil. :wink:
  • tashie_baby11tashie_baby11 Posts: 2,284 New Member
    edited June 2012
    blunote00 wrote:

Well that's great! But I so prefer (.package) files over (.sims3pack) files any day. I feel I have much more control using (.package) files. Any third party (.sim3pack) files have to be 1) installed via the launcher, and 2) get mixed with all your official EA game / store content. Besides the launcher is a shepherd for the devil and just pure evil. :wink:

I prefer .package files too. They are much easier to install, and I like to combine them with that tool hehe. I'm just saying that as far as simplicity goes, sims3packs are just a double click away from CC haha.
  • MGSFan612MGSFan612 Posts: 3,429 Member
    edited June 2012
    How is it difficult?

Maybe for generations that didn't grow up with home PCs but it should be simple for anyone in their 20's or younger. It uses the most basic of basic computer skills navigating and creating folders. How can you not know how to navigate or create folders when most if not all professors/teachers require you to type your essays/term papers/reports/etc(at least in America) which would mean you would need to know how to access your saved files by navigating through folders and therefore need to know how to create folders to put them in.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top