Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Maxis is BACK!

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    H0RTENSISH0RTENSIS Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited March 2012
    Flashygrrl wrote:
    LOL I wasn't just talking about the Sims franchise. Sim City, Sim Earth, even Sim Ant, Town, Farm, Tower, and Copter (ok, that one wasn't quite as stable as the rest) were all new and fun when they came out with them. They were pretty basic, yeah but a lot of people spent many an hour doing the same thing over and over again hoping to get a different outcome :)

Oh blimey! You are going back to the time when Maxis truly was MAXIS, lol.
  • Options
    FlashygrrlFlashygrrl Posts: 634 Member
    edited March 2012
    Dang straight!!!!! I LOVED those games.
  • Options
    PsychYourMind08PsychYourMind08 Posts: 3,464 Member
    edited March 2012
    I liked how quarky Maxis was. I suppose at that point they hadn't really had an image since they were newer. They could take bolder risks becuase people didn't expect anything really concrete at the time (well, other than a good-quality game obviously)

I think that's why I love Sims 1 above all. Not necessarily for graphics and such but it was just so silly. It was more a joking, lighthearted parody than a simulation and I think 2 and 3 are missing that.

And SimAnt? It's so random but it worked. Little ants taking over the yard and house and colonizing it.

One thing I love about many of Maxis's ideas (some carried into today, ie The Sims) is that they were about expansion and control. Really satisfies my God complex. :lol:
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited March 2012
    Guys, there is no difference between Maxis and EA. The Sims team has always been the same people, regardless of whether it says Maxis or EA, that's what I'm trying to say.

• Options
    H0RTENSISH0RTENSIS Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited March 2012
    Callum9432 wrote:
    Guys, there is no difference between Maxis and EA. The Sims team has always been the same people, regardless of whether it says Maxis or EA, that's what I'm trying to say.

As far as the Sims series is concerned? Correct :) We were briefly talking about the games made before EA's acquisition of Maxis ;)
  • Options
    MckenzieMemberMckenzieMember Posts: 1,231 Member
    edited March 2012
    Glic2003 wrote:
    Thetford wrote:
    I think that after The Sims 3, they should take a break like SimCity, and allow themselves to take a breather and catch up (though probably not as long, I think a good couple of years may be enough), and maybe, just maybe consider a release schedule suitable for a game made this day and age. I don't think any game is in as much constant production as The Sims.

Yeah, I completely agree. In fact, I think they may have to take a break. If they try to release The Sims 4 too soon, it won't be significantly different from TS3 for anyone to really care about it, and the fans will be tired of the constant need to spend money on it.

But if The Sims disappears for a couple of years, then makes a triumphant comeback...(!) players will be much more excited about it.

And if fans are still clamouring for new content, EA can just keep the TS3 Store online.

^This^. I would glady wait 2-3 years (after the sims 3 series ends) for sims 4 and I agree that having such a gap would hopefully give the Sims team a breather. Plus if Sims 4 was anywhere near as buggy as Sims 3 they would have no excuses after they have taken several years off to perfect the base game.

Thetford wrote:
    ... I read an article recently in PC Gamer UK, and it gives a fresh insight in to the production such as Maxis management not being keen on the idea of the Sims, but EA management throwing people and ideas at it left, right and centre. Originally there were no children in the game until they hired this female PR person, and originally the game was focused on the houses rather then the sims, until this other person came along to put the spotlight more on the people and renamed the modes from People, Objects and Houses, to Live, Buy and Build. Interesting article, you should read it.

Hmm you learn something new everyday. I'll track this article down if I remember.
    Flashygrrl wrote:
    ... If they didn't make themselves look like such dolts every time an EP is released half-🐸🐸🐸🐸, there wouldn't be people saying that stuff in the first place. Maxis did earn its loyalty with games that at the time were fresh and innovative. Not to mention a lot more stable.

I completely agree with that ^^
  • Options
    wizplacewizplace Posts: 1,820 Member
    edited March 2012
    Just because Maxis is back dosen't mean they'll take the Sims over again.
  • Options
    hartagehartage Posts: 4
    edited March 2013
    Ya know, I just really think Maxis is a good faith name now. It really is just EA trying to get fans all hyped up thinking Maxis is back so we can buy their games.