Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Maxis is BACK!

Comments

• Options
    Darksim8Darksim8 Posts: 784 New Member
    edited March 2012
    I'm sorry but I tried playing Sims 2 the other day and I lasted 5 minutes (hyperbole - I really played for about an hour or so) before I was bored to tears. :) I love The Sims 3! I can customize everything and my Sim isn't trapped in his tiny lot.
    lol sims 2 is soo fun... well if u have a few expansion packs. theres college, weather, and a bunch of cool stuff.. i really like how in sims 2 the day doesnt go by too fast. u can go to a night club and 9:00pm , leave the club at 5:00am and when ur home it's still 9:00pm.

That's one thing I didn't actually like about the Sims2. I wanted to go to night clubs so I could pass the time so I didn't have to worry about every sim for that night, just one, but I still had too.
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited March 2012
    SimsTias wrote:
    crimrose wrote:
    ^This.

Maxis is EA. EA is Maxis. When it comes to the Sims series, they are and always were one and the same. In fact, Maxis was only ever able to make The Sims because EA backed them financially once they had bought them. Really, without EA, The Sims probably never would have gotten outside Will Wright's programming room.

Oh, the irony.

Sims 3 is all EA's work! that's why The SIms 3 isn't as good as Sims 1,2. and i know that because the whole crew working with TS3 aren't from MAxis, so no. well one thing is right and that is that they are a part of EA but they have always been that,
    Read the credits!

Sims is made by The Sims Studio. The Sims Studio has always been made up by the same people. The game just says EA instead of Maxis.

ETA:
    Mstybl95 wrote:
    Sims 2 was in development before TS1 was completed. Of course Maxis had a huge hand in TS2s development.

And for those that care, EA has renamed The Sims Studio into Maxis Studio. They are betting on name recognition to appease all of us that want the Maxis style back. What does it actually mean? Nothing. The developers are the same and will continue pumping out garbage and hope that seeing Maxis written on the box will encourage more people to buy.

Instead of putting more funding and better talent into this game, they rather try tricking us first.

Nothing has really changed since TS1 besides the fact that Will Wright left. People come and go. Maxis as a name didn't really have anything to do with TS2 either. People who worked on TS1 worked on TS2 and people from TS2 worked on TS3. People get so attached to a label/name. Maxis doesnt really mean anything for the actual development. No one is trying to trick anyone. EA have different groups and teams working on different things, sometimes they rename groups even though the people are the same. What you and many other people actually want is for Will Wright to come back. But asking for that doesnt make sense either. Why would he want to make another TS1?
    Link:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/15/324182.page#7694015
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited March 2012
    Callum9432 wrote:
    SimsTias wrote:
    crimrose wrote:
    ^This.

Maxis is EA. EA is Maxis. When it comes to the Sims series, they are and always were one and the same. In fact, Maxis was only ever able to make The Sims because EA backed them financially once they had bought them. Really, without EA, The Sims probably never would have gotten outside Will Wright's programming room.

Oh, the irony.

Sims 3 is all EA's work! that's why The SIms 3 isn't as good as Sims 1,2. and i know that because the whole crew working with TS3 aren't from MAxis, so no. well one thing is right and that is that they are a part of EA but they have always been that,
    Read the credits!

Sims is made by The Sims Studio. The Sims Studio has always been made up by the same people. The game just says EA instead of Maxis.

ETA:
    Mstybl95 wrote:
    Sims 2 was in development before TS1 was completed. Of course Maxis had a huge hand in TS2s development.

And for those that care, EA has renamed The Sims Studio into Maxis Studio. They are betting on name recognition to appease all of us that want the Maxis style back. What does it actually mean? Nothing. The developers are the same and will continue pumping out garbage and hope that seeing Maxis written on the box will encourage more people to buy.

Instead of putting more funding and better talent into this game, they rather try tricking us first.

Nothing has really changed since TS1 besides the fact that Will Wright left. People come and go. Maxis as a name didn't really have anything to do with TS2 either. People who worked on TS1 worked on TS2 and people from TS2 worked on TS3. People get so attached to a label/name. Maxis doesnt really mean anything for the actual development. No one is trying to trick anyone. EA have different groups and teams working on different things, sometimes they rename groups even though the people are the same. What you and many other people actually want is for Will Wright to come back. But asking for that doesnt make sense either. Why would he want to make another TS1?
    Link:

I did try to point this out. Like normal it makes no odds.
  • Options
    crimrosecrimrose Posts: 401 New Member
    edited March 2012
    I'm sorry but I tried playing Sims 2 the other day and I lasted 5 minutes (hyperbole - I really played for about an hour or so) before I was bored to tears. :) I love The Sims 3! I can customize everything and my Sim isn't trapped in his tiny lot.

I agree with you, and I'm one of those "hardcore" "long-time" Simmers. Since TS1 first came out, I've been playing The Sims. (That makes me feel very archaic.)

TS3 has a ridiculous amount of customization that TS2 never had. Everything can virtually be customized to whatever you want. You can create your own patterns, you can re-texture anything you want. You can create your own worlds (you could kind of do it in TS2, but not with the same level of customization).

We have traits, which are a much more sophisticated personality "measuring stick" than personality points, which are obscure an idea at best. We have this whole open world idea, which, despite people saying it's "overrated", I say they never had to sit through what probably amounted to hours of loading screens. See, back then, we had slow computers, kids. :lol:
    Nah, I'm not trying to patronize you...but computers WERE slower, and Sims was considered to be a "huge game."

A huge amount of career options - self-employment, anyone? This was never possible in TS2. Also there are now "branches" in careers depending on the direction you want to take it, which is awesome. With Generations, children have so many more possibilities. Do you have any idea how boring kids were in TS1? They never grew up and they peed themselves a lot. How does that sound - an eternity of looking after a 7-year-old who wets themselves a lot and never grows out of it? Sounds like hell to me. :D
    They can get grounded, they can go to prom, they can do so many new things. Sign up for afterschool clubs, which was a great idea.

I dunno, I could go on, but I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread is just gonna ignore me anyway. :lol:

I'm not saying TS2 sucked - I loved it. I had every EP and every SP for it. Still do, as a matter of fact. But I really feel that people are polarizing the two way too much. They are in the same field of games. Also I have to wonder how many people remember how terrible the routing was in Sims 1 and 2. TS3 isn't fantastic either, but it's a heck of a lot better. TS2 got caught on EVERYTHING! You couldn't have bedside tables because it would block the bed somehow. That annoyed the crap out of me.

TS2 ran way worse than TS3 did, for me. It crashed an infinite number of times. It glitched. People got into their showers and emerged as horrifying monsters...
    It was slow, and I was playing it on this computer, this same laptop, that runs TS3 quite well.

TS2 didn't suck, but don't hold it as the pinnacle of perfection. It wasn't. TS3 isn't either. And don't put everything on Maxis. Everyone here is way too hard on EA. Yes, they've done some absurdly asinine things. Yes, they ignore us. Yes, they don't care about us anywhere near as much as they probably should. But no, they can't release a patch that'll fix all your problems. They can't individually come to your house and see what's up with your system. They can't magically make the game run flawlessly. They can't make it morph into whatever you want.

People are too hard on EA when it comes to TS3 because it is impossible to please everyone. I guarantee that if they made it more like TS2, many people would be angry. EA has no hope of pleasing you all, so they don't try to. They try to do what they think most people will like...and unfortunately, people hate them for it. But that's what being creative is all about. Some people love you, some hate you.

And before you say that most people don't like what EA have done with TS3, consider that you don't know everyone who plays TS3. Consider that negative voices speak much louder than positive ones. Consider that because you personally dislike TS3, it colours your perceptions of how other people feel about it.

Anyway, TLDR, I know. :P
  • Options
    Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    edited March 2012
    n00biityo wrote:
    What Graham Nardone said about the singers and band thing pretty much summed it up for me why I still think TS2 is the superior of TS3.

It's a factory and they just pump out what's needed and they make decisions based on time/cost/profit. It's as simple as that. Here's his tweet again: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/g531vg

I think it's weird that it doesn't occur to them that integrating the EPs would spur fans that didn't get previous EPs to go get them after all because it combines greatly with future EPs.

Exactly. I would have thought that making the EP content work well together would have made all of the EPs more valuable. So fans would be thinking, "Wow, I'm going to go back and buy Late Night so my singer can have a band!"

Instead of looking forward to getting Showtime, I'm instead wishing I had purchased it instead of Late Night, since it appears they did a much better job on it.

Oh, and just a little tip for the Sims Team: if you don't have enough time to make features from the EPs work well together, then I guess I don't have enough time to go to the store and buy them. Sorry about that. ;)
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Options
    simsacesimsace Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited March 2012

this sounds to me like they are doing everything BUT updateing the core SPORE computer game :cry: why MAXIS!? we never wanted those cruddy spin off games.

back on topic i think MAXIS might have played a part in showtime since the video on the sims 3 channel has several people from maxis talking in it. hard to say though witout any maxis logo at all on this game
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Arletta wrote:
    Callum9432 wrote:
    SimsTias wrote:
    crimrose wrote:
    ^This.

Oh, the irony.

Read the credits!

ETA:
    Mstybl95 wrote:

Link:

I did try to point this out. Like normal it makes no odds.
    :roll:
  • Options
    crimrosecrimrose Posts: 401 New Member
    edited March 2012
    ^I love how everyone just conveniently ignores the parts they don't like, i.e. that Maxis as a whole had little to do with TS2, Will Wright had next to nothing to do with TS2, and TS3 was made by many of the same people. :lol:

Blows my mind, really does, how selectively people can listen when they think they are right.
  • Options
    PixelRainbowPixelRainbow Posts: 865 Member
    edited March 2012

Me too! I tried going back to it this week in fact but I just couldn't get back into it. I kept comparing things to Sims 3 and I got so bored of the neighbourhood and loading screens, and the people and houses weren't as pretty. I love Sims 3 :), I don't think it's rubbish compared to Sims 1 or 2 at all.
  • Options
    SimsManiac2k9SimsManiac2k9 Posts: 11,322 Member
    edited March 2012
    Last thing I knew EA was Maxis.
    Ea just bought them.

I do like the look of this alot better than Sim city 3000.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    simsace wrote:

this sounds to me like they are doing everything BUT updateing the core SPORE computer game :cry: why MAXIS!? we never wanted those cruddy spin off games.

back on topic i think MAXIS might have played a part in showtime since the video on the sims 3 channel has several people from maxis talking in it. hard to say though witout any maxis logo at all on this game
    When you say "cruddy spin off games", are you referring to SimCity? :?
  • Options
    PsychYourMind08PsychYourMind08 Posts: 3,464 Member
    edited March 2012
    I always thought the better part (and by better I mean more) of Maxis went off to work on Spore, along with Will Wright. Hence why they weren't working on TS2.

I would think there are many people from Maxis that worked on TS2 and even TS1 that are on TS3, but I imagine most of them split off back after TS2 released but are now working on SC. So in some ways, while not all of Maxis left to begin with, some did and perhaps and are "coming back" to the Sim City series. At least that's how I look at it.

If that makes sense.

• Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 2,114 New Member
    edited March 2012
    Callum9432 wrote:
    simsace wrote:

I believe the Sims is the spinoff to SimCity, and I believe he was referring to that instead of updates, Spore gets spinoffs.

Anyway, to me, on the production side, the only thing that seems to have changed is the demand (by which I mean increase effort, time, skill etc required) in creating a game. The developers are still the same, just named something else ("a rose by any other name still smells as sweet"), the fanbase is the same, the core gameplay, and also (which is what I believe is damaging this game) is the timescale of release and being constant development, which has remained unchanged since 1999. But if they dare to delay an EP, well, you may as well rake out your Anderson shelters and start belting out Vera Lynn tunes.

I read an article recently in PC Gamer UK, and it gives a fresh insight in to the production such as Maxis management not being keen on the idea of the Sims, but EA management throwing people and ideas at it left, right and centre. Originally there were no children in the game until they hired this female PR person, and originally the game was focused on the houses rather then the sims, until this other person came along to put the spotlight more on the people and renamed the modes from People, Objects and Houses, to Live, Buy and Build. Interesting article, you should read it.

In the end, the same people who worked on TS3, worked on TS2 (aside from those who left to do their own projects, or those just starting), even SimGuruShanon has worked for the Sims since the beginning and beyond for 15 years (she even worked on SimCity 3000).

I think that after The Sims 3, they should take a break like SimCity, and allow themselves to take a breather and catch up (though probably not as long, I think a good couple of years may be enough), and maybe, just maybe consider a release schedule suitable for a game made this day and age. I don't think any game is in as much constant production as The Sims.
  • Options
    Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    edited March 2012
    Thetford wrote:
    I think that after The Sims 3, they should take a break like SimCity, and allow themselves to take a breather and catch up (though probably not as long, I think a good couple of years may be enough), and maybe, just maybe consider a release schedule suitable for a game made this day and age. I don't think any game is in as much constant production as The Sims.

Yeah, I completely agree. In fact, I think they may have to take a break. If they try to release The Sims 4 too soon, it won't be significantly different from TS3 for anyone to really care about it, and the fans will be tired of the constant need to spend money on it.

But if The Sims disappears for a couple of years, then makes a triumphant comeback...(!) players will be much more excited about it.

And if fans are still clamouring for new content, EA can just keep the TS3 Store online.
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Options
    PsychYourMind08PsychYourMind08 Posts: 3,464 Member
    edited March 2012
    Glic2003 wrote:
    Thetford wrote:

Yeah, I completely agree. In fact, I think they may have to take a break. If they try to release The Sims 4 too soon, it won't be significantly different from TS3 for anyone to really care about it, and the fans will be tired of the constant need to spend money on it.

But if The Sims disappears for a couple of years, then makes a triumphant comeback...(!) players will be much more excited about it.

And if fans are still clamouring for new content, EA can just keep the TS3 Store online.

I agree with both of you. I think it would be wise for them to take a break for a while - When TS2 and even 3 came out, a lot of people were screaming "Already? But Makin Magic/Freetime just came out!" (AL came out after TS3's announcement, I believe) Anyway, I think it would allow people to enjoy previous Sims games more without feeling as though they have to keep up or that they are rushed. It would give them a chance to miss the series and stop comparing as harshly to it's predecessors (becuase at that point, "who cares! SIMS IS BACK OMG!"-kind of thing)
    They could take the game into a new direction and people would be more receptive to it because they would be ready, and most likely feel less "abandoned". Also has a fresh, rejuvenating air about it.
  • Options
    simsacesimsace Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited March 2012
    Callum9432 wrote:
    simsace wrote:

no the crudy spore spinoff games. they only made 1 parts pack, one expansion pack. and 4 spin-offs and were planning a 5th that got canceled because everyone hated the idea of it.

all the spore community ever wanted was more on PC
  • Options
    NathanNowellNathanNowell Posts: 933 Member
    edited March 2012
    Thetford wrote:
    Callum9432 wrote:
    simsace wrote:

I believe the Sims is the spinoff to SimCity, and I believe he was referring to that instead of updates, Spore gets spinoffs.

Anyway, to me, on the production side, the only thing that seems to have changed is the demand (by which I mean increase effort, time, skill etc required) in creating a game. The developers are still the same, just named something else ("a rose by any other name still smells as sweet"), the fanbase is the same, the core gameplay, and also (which is what I believe is damaging this game) is the timescale of release and being constant development, which has remained unchanged since 1999. But if they dare to delay an EP, well, you may as well rake out your Anderson shelters and start belting out Vera Lynn tunes.

I read an article recently in PC Gamer UK, and it gives a fresh insight in to the production such as Maxis management not being keen on the idea of the Sims, but EA management throwing people and ideas at it left, right and centre. Originally there were no children in the game until they hired this female PR person, and originally the game was focused on the houses rather then the sims, until this other person came along to put the spotlight more on the people and renamed the modes from People, Objects and Houses, to Live, Buy and Build. Interesting article, you should read it.

In the end, the same people who worked on TS3, worked on TS2 (aside from those who left to do their own projects, or those just starting), even SimGuruShanon has worked for the Sims since the beginning and beyond for 15 years (she even worked on SimCity 3000).

I agree with you lol... After Sims 3, they should take like a 3 year break. Idk some people would hate it and others would love it.

If that happened, Sims fans would have nothing to do really except buy the store stuff. But if they release it later, it would be improved a lot, and the game would be better planned with less bugs.
  • Options
    n00biityon00biityo Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited March 2012
    Speaking of selective reading, I never claimed TS2 didn't have any flaws, I even summed up good and bad stuff from both games from EP to EP. Of course I didn't deal with all of them but I'm not saying that TS2 couldn't use some improvement.

When it comes to game-play though TS2 rules by far. A lot of people are too concerned with aesthetics to care. I want more than just shiny stuff though. Of course I'm glad with the level of customization that TS3 offers but all of that doesn't matter much if the game isn't a sandbox. Which is what I want and what made the game so popular.

I have no clue how people can even say that you couldn't run your own business in TS2. That person obviously never had OFB. It offered a lot more possibilities than the Ambitions careers. Sure they are fun mini-games but that's not what the franchise is about. It's supposed to be a sandbox. They are supposed to give us the tools so we can do as we please.

Also people still are talking about logos, logos?! as if they mean anything. They don't. They could wake up tomorrow and call themselves Cherry Pie Studios and change the logo to watermelons, it's still the same people.

It doesn't really matter to me who's on the team anyway. As long as the product is good.
  • Options
    H0RTENSISH0RTENSIS Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited March 2012
    crimrose wrote:

^This absolutely. It's just a recurring topic that can't/won't be put to bed. The original, small team that worked for Will Wright were bought by EA before The Sims was in development. I think when people refer to Maxis what they really mean is 'Will Wright'. Maxis/EA, by the time The Sims was a reality were one and the same, the people have changed over the years, as you would expect in any company of that size but some of the original crew remain even today. The recent push for social features, digital distribution and micro purchases are decisions made and driven by management in a bid to keep up with the changing market.

And talking of marketing, it makes good marketing sense when all EA ever hear is, 'if only Maxis were still making the game' to change the name back again. Clearly there is HUGE brand loyalty associated with it :)

Showtime was made by a different team within the Sims Studio/Maxis but the teams change anyway from game to game as the credits confirm.
  • Options
    n00biityon00biityo Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited March 2012
    Will Wright is not the sim messiah. Did you guys read his recent interviews? He's talking a lot about people giving up their information so they can cater games to their personal taste.

I don't understand this trend in the technology community of "collecting people's information" so they can cater better to our needs. Sod off! Do a proper market research, try to think about original ideas and create a decent product. I can make up my own **** mind about what I want, thank you.

He even sad that the younger generation is more willing to give up their information if they think they'll be entertained. Ha! So they are aiming for a younger/naive audience who are willing to share everything and have all their business posted online or used for god-knows-what.

Thanx but no thanx. I'll gladly pass.
  • Options
    ShaneyBoyShaneyBoy Posts: 2,134 Member
    edited March 2012
    n00biityo wrote:
    I have no clue how people can even say that you couldn't run your own business in TS2. That person obviously never had OFB. It offered a lot more possibilities than the Ambitions careers. Sure they are fun mini-games but that's not what the franchise is about. It's supposed to be a sandbox. They are supposed to give us the tools so we can do as we please.

Ohh the sims 2 open for business!! :XD: My favourite expansion pack ever.. (that I've played, atleast!). I loved the fact that I could run my own business! And the amount of content we got with that expansion pack too, (A LOT). 8) I remember you could even run a restaurant. (which wasn't a rabbithole by the way :roll:..)

I've been waiting for a remake of this expansion pack, but I'm still waiting.. :cry:
  • Options
    FlashygrrlFlashygrrl Posts: 634 Member
    edited March 2012
    H0RTENSIS wrote:
    And talking of marketing, it makes good marketing sense when all EA ever hear is, 'if only Maxis were still making the game' to change the name back again. Clearly there is HUGE brand loyalty associated with it :)

If they didn't make themselves look like such dolts every time an EP is released half-🐸🐸🐸🐸, there wouldn't be people saying that stuff in the first place. Maxis did earn its loyalty with games that at the time were fresh and innovative. Not to mention a lot more stable.
  • Options
    H0RTENSISH0RTENSIS Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited March 2012
    Flashygrrl wrote:
    Maxis did earn its loyalty with games that at the time were fresh and innovative. Not to mention a lot more stable.

I agree absolutely that The Sims was fresh and innovative. Who would ever have thought that a dolls house scenario of micro managing pixellated peoples lives would be so well received for so long. However, the game is a life simulator and by that very definition every subsequent release is going to contain the basic elements of life. It can never be as innovative as that first game was even though each new generation can build on that which has already gone.

Back then there were no stuff packs, no store, no multiple platforms and the game was released once a year. The expansion packs delivered all the new content and game play and the team could dedicate their time to that one purpose. I suspect a lot of the problems today arise because more time is needed to perfect things, but with both Management and the fans screaming for more I really can't see a return to yesteryear. I am also sure we would see the benefits if it were to.

I still have The Sims (loaded it up a couple of weeks ago actually and took some screen shots), The Sims2 and Sims3 installed on my computer. I have played and continue to play them all.

Anyway, sorry to go somewhat off topic. Back to discussing the return of Maxis ;)

• Options
    Darksim8Darksim8 Posts: 784 New Member
    edited March 2012
    I have no way read any of the other posts, but I am really excited for this game now. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    FlashygrrlFlashygrrl Posts: 634 Member
    edited March 2012
    LOL I wasn't just talking about the Sims franchise. Sim City, Sim Earth, even Sim Ant, Town, Farm, Tower, and Copter (ok, that one wasn't quite as stable as the rest) were all new and fun when they came out with them. They were pretty basic, yeah but a lot of people spent many an hour doing the same thing over and over again hoping to get a different outcome :)