Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

☆~ KLorelei's Works In Progress ~☆ Villa di Fiori ♦♦ Mysticdiva2 ♦♦ p.30

KLoreleiKLorelei Posts: 7,606 Member
Given the recent changes in format to the layout of the mypages, I've decided to create a thread dedicated to my current DNA projects. It's here that I'll be asking (and answering) questions that come up during the creation process and also sharing WIP pics so as not to spam the mypages of everyone else in the process.

DNA Request Thread

My Showcase Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2013
    My next project -

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Completed DNA Projects:

Villa di Fiori

i2pZU9yn50J6U.png
    (click pic for more)

Summer Sage Cottage

ifdSduxr9vta3.png
    (click pic for more)

Blackwell House

BlackwellHouse.png
    (click pic for more)

Iggy Pup Memorial Dog Park

IggyPark.png
    (click pic for more)

Fitzgerald's Luxury

FitzgeraldsLuxury.png
    (click pic for more)

Blue Moon Plantation

BlueMoon.png
    (click pic for more)

Practical Magic

PMtitle1.png
    (click pic for more)

T'Angelo Blaze

TangeloBlaze1.png

Pacific Heights

PacificHeights.png
    (click pic for more)

The Fallen

FallenTitlePage1.png
    (click pic for more)

End of Line
    Tron.png
    (click pic for more)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Hi Maygin, I have a few questions before I get started on your build (I tend to like a lot of communication if that's alright with you). My goal in all of this is to get a better idea of what you're envisioning so I can create exactly what you want.

First of all, do you have a preferred town you like to play in over the others?

You also mentioned on the form that you're open to whatever color scheme as long as it flows together but if you have a favorite color or colors it'd be very helpful in giving me a good place to start with regards to the color palate.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Hi Maygin, I'm sure you've been busy as you haven't had a chance to check in here, but I thought I'd give you a preview pic of your soon to be finished house. I still have landscaping and a couple of rooms inside to finish up, but it's very close to being done. I'm hoping it's what you're looking for as I tried to make it as close to the plans you provided as I possibly could. ^_^

MayginModern.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Hi Maygin Rai, your request is finished and in my studio:

Pacific Heights

PacificHeights.png

For some reason it's listing Showtime as one of the EPs although I did not use anything from Showtime. I did have Showtime installed while I was playtesting it, but that should not have affected it in any way. Sometimes the exchange erroneously lists things (and neglects to list other things needed) so I'm not entirely sure what's going on here. In any case, let me know if you have trouble uploading.

Other than the garage door and the couple windows from Bah Haus that I mentioned to you earlier, I only used items from the store that were free so you should be good on that front. Here are a few more pics just for fun.

PacificHeights3.jpg

PHkitchen1.jpg

PHkitchen2.jpg

PHtvroom.jpg

PHlivingdining2.jpg

PHfrontyard1.jpg

As you can see in that last pic, the mailbox is tucked inside the fence post, but when you place the lot, it will be outside the gate. You can use MOO (moveobjects on) to replace it back inside the post, just make sure that all of the red flag is still showing so it remains fully functional. I didn't think the standard mailbox fit at all with the style of the house, so I wanted to come up with something that would help it blend in a little better. ^_^
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Hi SoleilStarr, I have a couple of questions for you before I get started (and quite possibly I'll have more as I go along, heh) but I'll begin with these for now.

I know you said no store content in the build but I was wondering if you owned any of the Victorian/Regency/Edwardian style content. It's of course no problem if you don't but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask since some of these items would fit in nicely with the house.

I'm going to do my best to re-create it as close to the movie version as possible, but as we both know since it was a combination of a faux exterior set piece and partial interior set pieces, it may not be exactly the same. Still, I'm going to give it my best, no my better than best shot because I'm a purist.

Oh and do you know, one of the best things about this project is that it gives me an excuse to re-watch the movie again. ^_^
  • Options
    SoleilStarrSoleilStarr Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited March 2012
    No unfortunately I do not have either of those sets, except for the flower vase.

Things I do have that might be of some use for this house (I dunno maybe not, but it doesn't hurt):
    The entire magic set
    Not-A-Street Floor Lamp (It's Victorian looking)
    Lush Bloom Lily Vase
    Flower Tower
    Festoon to the Honeymoon
    Elite Efflorescence
    Bridal Bouquet
    Faire Wheel Barrow
    Faire Frog Fountain
    Lady Ravendance Spellbook thingy
    Gothique Relics
    Divided Partition
    B. Harvard's Water Collection Set
    Advantageous Washstand
    The Benet Phonograph
    Greaves' Writing Set

Sorry if I'm being annoying by listing these things. That's everything I have from the store with a Victorian feel to it. Sometimes I just don't have the funds to get the entire sets so I pick out specific items from them I love (since I adore Victorian period furniture and what not) so thats why it's so mixed. :lol: Hope some of those are useful!

I understand it won't be able to be exact, but I appreciate you even trying! I just think the overall feel for the house is beautiful and if it cannot be replicated, I'd be fine with something close to it! My favorite rooms were the kitchen and the green room. Man I'd give anything to live in a house like that. :oops:

Edit: Thanks to sweetiepie CrescentMoonPye I have 3 more things that could be useful for this build. :D

Jazz Me Up! Photo Series
    Classic Candelabra
    Steampunk Kitchen- Pre-Steam Aquarium Tank
  • Options
    CrescentMoonPyeCrescentMoonPye Posts: 2,080 Member
    edited March 2012
    Hey Soleil & KL,
    I got bored torturing Kylie and thought I'd come over here to see what you two were up to. I adore PM [fav romance movie] and I'm just plain interferring cuz I need to waste 5 minutes before TV show starts.

I just sent Soleil the steampunk fishtank, the romanza? candelabra, and some jazz wall photos thingie i]Soleil, you'll have to add the names to your list in the last post[/i. Don't know if they'll help you decorate, but like I told Soleil, the fish tank water can be used to make Jimmy's Banishment Soup to open the pores.

Carry on kids - I'll likely come over here occasionally to see what youre doing when Kylie tells me to go find something to do and stop pestering her.
    Heehee!
  • Options
    CrescentMoonPyeCrescentMoonPye Posts: 2,080 Member
    edited March 2012
    Dang, youre quick Soleil! Heehee!

Are any of those sets on sale for March madness?
    Now would be the time to grab them if they are. I know how frustrating it is to not just be able to buy them outright.
    The african set is only 250 right now. If you can afford to go grab it, do, cuz there's only 3 more days of that sale. Not that there were african bits in the movie - but still!

*waves* gotta go...
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Don't be silly, listing the items you do have is not annoying it's very helpful! In fact, feel free to list any and every decor/build object you own from the store (assuming that isn't a huge huge task). Anything that possilby be used gives me just that much more flexibility. You never know what can be tweaked to look period/appropriate even if it wasn't originally intended for that purpose. And I completely understand about picking and choosing your favorite or must have items from the store. The sets are quite expensive and especially if you're not sure you'll use everything, certainly not the best use of your money.

The spellbook is certainly handy though. Oh and the cauldron too of course. ^_^

I loved their kitchen and greenroom/herb garden too! So perfect. Like I said, I'm going to try to come as close as possible. I normally don't work off of floor plans, so I think that will be to my advantage here, I won't be stuck with the sections that are more vague. lol

Still, I'm fairly certain I can get pretty darn close, although sometimes small adjustments have to be made just to allow for pathing issues, etc. I'm even determined to do the attic with the stairs that lead up into the tower/widow's watch.

eta: Hey Cressie - nice of you to drop by! And that's so sweet of you to shower Soleil with gifts like that. I'm sure I can find a use for them (ok, maybe not the fishtank but we shall see, ya never know).
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Ok I'll list the furniture I have (don't worry it's not a ton, I buy more clothes generally then furni when I do get points.) :lol:

Generation Clock (Was a freebie, but it can be of use!)
    Japanese Inspired Living Compilation(The whole thing)
    Snugglebunny Swing
    Mystical Fence
    Dr Pepper Alice in Wonderland: Arch, Table, Chair, Drink Me Bottle
    Bryan and Angela (Statue toy horses, maybe for attic clutter I dunno)
    I have some nursery stuff but to my knowledge theres no nursery in the movie.

Plus anything free in the store (With he exception of the bayside set I missed on Christmas day) I have.

I don't really have any build stuff, but I have now every single expansion + OLS and FLS. :D
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Ha, that makes total sense Soleil. I'd probably buy more clothes than build/object items too, except that I've really gotten into building and decorating and now I'm a sucker for it all. heh

Thanks for listing out your stuff, it's quite helpful. ^_^
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Soliel, just to give you a current, state of the build report, my perfectionist tendancies are threatening to do me in, lol! Okay, not really but there are a few things that I'm driving myself crazy over because I'm determined not to settle for anything less than perfect, so I've scrapped several versions of the house because it just doesn't look "right" and I'm determinded to get it as close to the movie version as possible. I hope you don't mind that it's taking so long, but I tend to be meticulous in my methods, going over and over things to make sure everything's "just so". Hopefully you won't be disappointed with the end result. ^_^

*disclaimer: I know you said it doesn't have to be perfect, but I love this movie so much that if I'm going to build this house, well then it's got to be as close as it can be, ya know?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Hey Soleil, hope all is well with you today hon. So I've been hemming and hawing about what to do with the entrance stairs for a while now, when I realized I should just ask what you'd prefer, duh! lol

They were actually one of the first things I built in the house, sounds strange but when you have split level stairs, and in this case there are several in the house, I had to build it kind of from the inside out. Which makes for an interesting experience to say the least. Anyway, I wanted to get the exact look of the foyer stairs

entry-hall-2.jpg

and I was able to replicate the three levels and the shape of the stairs. However, with the stair build tools that we have in Sims3, which are no where near as awesome in regards to those in Sims 2, when you have the walls right next to the stairs, it makes them go all hinky and doesn't have as pretty a look. I'm not sure if how I'm describing it makes sense, but if you've ever seen a house on a foundation with an attached garage, the differing heights in the walls have to be leveled out using CFE and it makes for a kind of sloping look in the places where the two different walls join together.

Well with the foyer stairs, we're talking three heights we're dealing with. It can be done, but it makes for a situation where there's no option to play with the "walls up" without being immediately bumped to the second level. I don't know about you, but as a player, that would annoy be a bit because I like to see the whole room, not just parts of it at a time (does that make sense?).

Now one solution would be for me to move the walls away from the staircase on those three sides, which would leave the walls "normal". It's not exactly like the movie, but I think it's the option with more playability. So let me know which you prefer and if you would like a visual aid/picture before you decide, I can certainly accomodate you.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Well I definitely want playability to come first and the wall situation would drive me nuts. So go ahead and do what it takes so that it doesn't bump me to the second floor. I want to be able to see the whole room. :D
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Ok hon, that's what I figured. ^_^

eta: the way this house is configured is already convoluted enough, lol. What's really funny is if you look closely at the plans, the second floor is mostly Sally's room. They didn't even bother with plotting out anything else, which I guess you don't have to when it's just a set. Where the aunts slept? No clue! I guess maybe the attic, heh.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I wondered that too. I assumed the daughters slept in the attic because theres a point where there is two beds up there when Jimmy appears and it looks like a childrens set. But yes, where do the Aunt's sleep? Ah well. Confusing!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Well I'm finding a way to fit in your requested four bedrooms (plus the attic if you count that as a bedroom since there will be beds in it). They're just going to be more traditionally Victorian (read: small) and not movie version bedrooms (read: massive). lol

Thought I'd give you a sneak peak of how things are progressing. Keep in mind I still need to CAS the outside of the house, the colors are pretty much just temporary (I hate working with a "naked" building, lol) and obviously landscape, etc. I am also going to move it to a bigger lot, I just wanted to start building on a smaller one to make sure I had plenty of land around it because so much of it is the property, not just the house.

PMprogress2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Omgosh so far it is wonderful! I truly love it you're doing an amazing job thank you so much!!! :D

Sorry it took so long to reply, been busy IRL.
  • Options
    TarynTempestwindTarynTempestwind Posts: 4,438 Member
    edited April 2012
    This is going to be lovely, Lorelie!! I love that lookout tower! Good job!

T.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Omgosh so far it is wonderful! I truly love it you're doing an amazing job thank you so much!!! :D

Sorry it took so long to reply, been busy IRL.

I'm so glad you like it. And no worries, you're totally allowed to have a rl. ^_^
    This is going to be lovely, Lorelie!! I love that lookout tower! Good job!

T.

Thank you Taryn. I'll admit that tower was a bit of a pain because of the level limitations. I really wish we had more than just five. *sigh*
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Oops, I almost forgot why I popped into this thread before heading off to bed. I wanted to give you another peek, this time from a different angle, with some landscaping starting to take shape.

PMprogress3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Soleil, I have a question for you. I've been able to fit 4 bedrooms and 2 full baths on the second floor. One of those rooms is shaped in such a way that I think it'd make a charming nursery. Now of course the movie doesn't specify if there is a nursery or not, but it's a Victorian house, so it's likely there would be or would have been at some point. I just wanted to check in with you before I went ahead and made it one to make sure that was okay. You could always change it back to a regular bedroom of course but I figured since the attic also has those two twin beds, it might be nice to have room for an expanding family. You did mention previously that you owned some nursery items, so if you don't mind letting me know what those are, that'd be wonderful. Thanks much darling. ^_^
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Omgoodnes it is just getting more and more awesome! I see you made that overhead trellis like thing. I have no idea what its called but I love it. :D

And sure! Feel free to make a Nursery. I'm not recreating the characters from the movie for this house, though some magical sims might live there. I'd love a nursery, I'm always making babies. It's on of my fatal flaws, I cannot keep single sims. :lol:
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    So I have another question for you Soleil. In the garden plans, there isn't anything laid out for the area behind the right side of the house as you can see in this image below.

grounds.jpg

So instead of leaving a big empty space I was thinking of adding in a swimmable pond but wanted to run it by you first. It would fit in more naturally with the landscape than a swimming pool obviously, but still give your sims that fun option.

I also wanted to ask if you were interested at all in having laundry facilities in the house. I do have room to put a washing machine (and dryer although a clothesline would probably be more faithful to the feel of the house and the movie).