Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My game isn't allowing more than 8 total pets and sims

My current family has 5 sims and 3 pets and the game is telling me I have no more room in my household. I've heard that the limit was raised to 10. Does anyone know a way to fix this? I lost the opportunity to adopt a unicorn because of this....

Comments

• Options
    ZeekSliderZeekSlider Posts: 5,831 Member
    edited November 2011
    You were told wrong.

The limit is and always will be 8.

At max, you can have 6 Pets and 2 Sims. Or, if you can juggle them, 4 Pets and 4 Sims.

There's no way to get more than that without a core mod.
  • Options
    thetideschangingthetideschanging Posts: 250 New Member
    edited November 2011
    Huh really? I read a lot of stuff saying that it was raised...
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    They were misinformed.

EA's press release was unclear with how many Sims and Pets you can have in one household, and a lot of players jumped to the conclusion that the cap was increased.

It was not.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2011
    No, they are not misinformed - you can have up to 6 pets, along with 8 Sims and all the small creatures you can care for.

But that also depends on your pc. Just like the game sets your game settings according to your pcs capabilities - it also will set a default for the number of sims and pets your game can control in one household. I am not sure if it goes by how great the specs are or how much ram - but I have great spec and 8 gigs of high speed gaming ram and I have families with 6 pets and as many as 7 sims in their house. I have not tried for an eigth sim yet. I am not alone as family members of mine that have a similar set up as I do, get the same.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    No, they are not misinformed - you can have up to 6 pets, along with 8 Sims and all the small creatures you can care for.

But that also depends on your pc. Just like the game sets your game settings according to your pcs capabilities - it also will set a default for the number of sims and pets your game can control in one household. I am not sure if it goes by how great the specs are or how much ram - but I have great spec and 8 gigs of high speed gaming ram and I have families with 6 pets and as many as 7 sims in their house. I have not tried for an eigth sim yet. I am not alone as family members of mine that have a similar set up as I do, get the same.
    Can you upload the household? I'd love to see it. :)
  • Options
    SimsplyRuthSimsplyRuth Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited November 2011
    If you get twallen's story progression one of the options is to set a higher number for the total size of the family.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I only use one mod - the Overwatch and all it does is keep the abandoned cars removed.

Zeek I can give you the family I downloaded, as it was not mine It is the Abernethy Family by Mrsbosselman112

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4828978

The mom has a set of twins a few days after they were in the game - the family comes with 5 sims, the pregnant mom, and 2 cats, and 2 dogs. In my game the teens befriended a foal and it's wild mom and they added those to the house with no problem.

I was looking for the other two families I have where they already have 7 and 8 sims plus 6 pets, but I can't find them. I downloaded them off the exchange as just families and their kids were small some time ago and they got the pets themselves in my town, I did not get the pets for them. I generally just put a few large families in my game that look fairly good, get each one jobs and set up to play, like I gave them barns and gardens, jobs, etc and then left them to their own accord. That way my own sims will have decent looking friends and possible spouses. On their own most of them have all kind of pets without me doing any thing.

The Abernathies I stayed with just for a sims week - usually i just stay a sims day to get them skills and jobs, but where I discovered the mom was expecting, I stayed to hopely give the baby a good set of traits and did help the Teens befriending the horses. When one was feeding the foal it just asked if I wanted to adopt them and I clicked yes.

ETA -Sorry I didn't answer right away as we were having Real life problem with the propane and the hubby was having a fit. No Offense but i just got to stomp my foot and Yell "MENNNNN!!!!!" Sometimes he is exasperating.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    wishinstonezwishinstonez Posts: 448 Member
    edited November 2011
    I hadn't reached the max in my current household since Pets. I just tested it now and it's only allowing me 10 in total.

I've got: i7 950, GTX580, 12GB of RAM, running off a SSD. Not sure which spec is lacking and needs to be improved :(
    Shelled out nearly 3k on a gaming computer and a year later it "can't handle" max sim/pet households in Sims 3 lol.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    wishinstonez - yep, I can't see why you aren't getting the max either as your system is a bit better than mine. Mine is a gaming machine too but an AMD Phenom II X 6 with just 8 gigs of Crucial Ballista High Speed gaming Ram an Asus Mobo, Asus Nvidia 550 ti tcp top Video card black edition, My system was built for me and my hubby is a pc Technician, it's well tweaked but i don't think it would meet your spec in Mark 3 tests. His would as he is also a competitor gamer, but not mine.

Hmmm Perhaps it's a combination of things. I am playing one of Rflongs worlds that i am populating myself - so there is way less families in it right now than a standard world would have. I don't have or use third party content or mods with the exception of Overwatch and ErrorTrap.

So nothing to grate on my memory at all. I run an FPS limiter locked at 65 fps. My machine runs super cool with my cooling system and Arctic silver coolant - I run 140mm 750 V8 coppee fans in here - case and processor, the V Card runs the ASUS never needs cleaning fan system, and my ram all has those little dual fans on each of them with Arctic Silver - I don't know. Unless it is a population thing for the overall hood. Perhaps when I have more houses and households in here the max will drop.

Right now there is just 7 households but each one has at least 7 or 8 sims in them with 2-6 pets. In my own house hold I just have my sim. He had a hedgehog that he let go before his last Egypt trip to finish the last tomb.

No other sims can move in on their own because I removed all the houses and only build a new one for each family as I add it, so it takes a while. I am building them all farms or ranches.

So I'll see how it is when I get to the average hood - or more wildlife comes into town. So far I have only seen 1 raccoon, 1 deer, 6 horses. No cats, dogs, or Unicorns. The family above took two of the horses. If the number reduces when the town reaches a normal limit I will come back here and post. Maybe that has something to do with it.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    wishinstonezwishinstonez Posts: 448 Member
    edited November 2011
    Writin_Reg - My boyfriend put my rig together as he's a techie too :mrgreen:

Those are some interesting points you've made. I do play with a lot of custom content and no mods except Overwatch. I'll try removing them and see if there's an improvement.

I don't have fancy cooling in my computer but there is enough airflow and it's staying quite cool since I found an fps limiter.

I've never tried self populating a neighbourhood before though. Is it as simple as downloading a user made world and creating families? Or is there something I need to change so it won't self populate?
  • Options
    sdhoeysdhoey Posts: 1,876 Member
    edited November 2011
    You can have a total of 10 sim/pet combo.. that's the new total now... unless you have TWALLENs mod

Create A Pet

Create a Pet offers players the ability to create and customize any Cat, Dog or Horse Also, for the first time ever, you are able to play as the pet within a household. In order to add a Pet to a household, there must be at least one Sim in the family. You can create a new pet to add to a household with Sims, or use the Telephone to adopt a pet. Animal only households are not possible.

You can however create Pets in CAP without a Sim and they will automatically be saved into the neighborhood bin for you to add to any household at a later time. Upon exit from CAP, you can also choose the relationship between pets.

The Household limit has been upgraded to 10 members. You can have a maximum of 8 Sims and 6 pets per household. Combined, the members cannot exceed 10 per household, and also cannot exceed the max allowed per species. Collectible Pets (Birds, Lizards, Snakes, Rodents etc) do not have a max allowance. As long as you can afford them, you can have as many as you would like.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Writin_Reg wrote:

The game does not set the number of sims per household by the specs of your computer, EA sets the limit for the game, Not the specs of a computer. And your computer HAS to meet the SPECS of the game. The game will not adjust to the pcs compats. If your computer doesn't not have the correct processor or graphics card it's not gonna run correctly, or maybe not at all. That's the problem alot of ppl are having now with the PETS EP. The more advanced graphics for the game, the higher specs are gonna be...
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited November 2011
    I wouldn't break the default limit for household members. If you (I mean all Simmers) decide to play without that mod one day you'll be in big trouble!
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    esperonza16esperonza16 Posts: 3,830 Member
    edited November 2011
    My family has a mom, dad, 2 daughters, 2 unicorns, 2 horses, and a dog. So I have 9 and room for one more. So mine is at 10 being the limit.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Cyron43 wrote:
    I wouldn't break the default limit for household members. If you (I mean all Simmers) decide to play without that mod one day you'll be in big trouble!

I've had it in my game before... to try it out, it works. I removed it, I have had no problems with my game.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    So if that's the case any ideas why my game won't let me have more than 8 and how I can fix it? My computer has higher specs than the game requires and runs it fine.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    are any of the pets pregnant?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Nope... I have a sim that is but I counted the future baby as one of the 5 sims.
  • Options
    LittleVLittleV Posts: 8,565 Member
    edited November 2011
    ZeekSlider wrote:
    They were misinformed.

EA's press release was unclear with how many Sims and Pets you can have in one household, and a lot of players jumped to the conclusion that the cap was increased.

It was not.

Um... then how was I able to make a 10-member household?
    ZeekSlider wrote:
    Can you upload the household? I'd love to see it. :)

You really wanna see it? 6 pets and 4 sims:

Household1.jpg
    Household2.jpg
    Household3.jpg

So yes, you can have more than 8 members to a household.
  • Options
    miloandotismiloandotis Posts: 5,475 New Member
    edited November 2011
    Here's what my understanding of the household limit is;
    As always..you can have up to 8 sims in a family. And, you have up to six pets in a household. However that doesn't mean you can have 14 sims/pets in a family. The limit of active sims/pets is 10.
    So you can have any combination within the 8 and 6 limits that adds up to 10 family members. :)
  • Options
    LittleVLittleV Posts: 8,565 Member
    edited November 2011
    Here's what my understanding of the household limit is;
    As always..you can have up to 8 sims in a family. And, you have up to six pets in a household. However that doesn't mean you can have 14 sims/pets in a family. The limit of active sims/pets is 10.
    So you can have any combination within the 8 and 6 limits that adds up to 10 family members. :)
    This. Although the OP was talking about not being able to have more than 8 total sims PLUS pets in the household.
  • Options
    NotSoLuckyNotSoLucky Posts: 4,682 Member
    edited November 2011
    My game only allows 10 without mods.
  • Options
    secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited November 2011
    Nope... I have a sim that is but I counted the future baby as one of the 5 sims.

maybe the sim as more then one baby going to be born when mine wouldn't let me add anymore with 8 in my pregnant sim had twins which made it 10
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    wishinstonez

All I did to keep the game from moving in sims is remove all the houses. If sims have no where to live they can't move in. The game will still put in service sims and register operators, mixologists and all, they will live off world without a house to steal. So I will take and either make a family in Cas or download one already made. I move it to a big empty lot and build them a house. That way I get just the sims I want in the town. But yeah I use just User created worlds that are unpopulated to do this as it mucks up the game if you delete sims, so I won't use the EA ones in worlds where I want to play just the sims I choose. I started this world with just 4 families that already had a pet or two I downloaded. My own sims I made in CAS. I have since made 2 more big families for the hood with no pets - and they have somehow secured their own pets once I finished there houses and moved them in.

But as I move each family into it new house I play them just one sims day to get them set up with skills and jobs according to their traits or wishes. Sort of get them established, and then go to the next family and empty lot and start over with them next. I do tend to go back to a family if I see a mom expecting and play them to try and make sure their baby gets good traits and a normal name. Left to EA's choice some babies have atrocious names. But other than that I don't play with the families I added for my own household to mingle with again until my sims finds a mate and sometimes I dod go back to that sims house to push the relationship along, as I try not to use any cheats. It keeps the game more interesting to me. I do use the motherlode cheat to build each families home though, just not my own sim. I make mine work their bottoms off and build their homes a bit at a time off of their own earned money. No easy street for my main sims for sure. hehehe

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited November 2011

maybe the sim as more then one baby going to be born when mine wouldn't let me add anymore with 8 in my pregnant sim had twins which made it 10

No I know it isn't that because I had a sim I kicked out of the house before she got pregnant and I wasn't allowed to "try for baby" until after that sim was kicked out....