Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Romantic Interest is NOT Cheating

Comments

• Options
    MichelleMarusMichelleMarus Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    What I can't understand is when I invite someone over, it's now a date.
  • Options
    diddl97playerdiddl97player Posts: 1,258
    edited July 2011
    I think they take it too seriously with the relationships.
  • Options
    NeonixNeonix Posts: 143
    edited July 2011
    What I can't understand is when I invite someone over, it's now a date.

Yeah, that happened to me too. I invited her and some of my Sim's friends over, and she automatically grouped with him for a date. Ugh...
  • Options
    russiantararussiantara Posts: 74 New Member
    edited July 2011
    That happens to my sims ALL the time. She/He has a romantic intrest in two sims and all of a sudden shes/hes cheating? It even has a action saying " confess to cheating". I hate it..
  • Options
    Faith12368Faith12368 Posts: 2,997 Member
    edited July 2011
    jdnnhff wrote:
    I read that if you break up with a Romantic Interest you won't get a naughty or a cheater reputation. But you don't have the option to "break up" with them if you weren't "going steady" etc with them in the first place! Therefore, who are you cheating on? Are you supposed to be glued to this person forever for having kissed him after dancing with him? :shock: It's just a big screwed up mess! That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :x

I had the option, "ask to be just friends" and after that they spoke for a few minutes and were at the good friends level. Also the naughty reputation disappeared.
    Long live the new Doctor!
  • Options
    loopsydooloopsydoo Posts: 336 New Member
    edited July 2011
    The romantic side of the game is boring anyway. It was far more fun in Sims 2 when you did not know how the other sim felt about your one. There is only one relationship bar in this game and so they always feel the same about each other.

How unreal is that.

I loved having my female sim madly in love with the most popular male in town and he not even know she existed. Ok I had to use a cheat to achieve this but it was sure fun having her swoon over him and him chat with all the other females but her.

Then it was time for revenge. She lost weight, applied some makeup and died her hair blonde and his tongue was hanging out. (His turn ons) But she ignored him for weeks strutting about com lots whilst he followed like a puppy.

Gosh I used to love playing that scenario over and over but alas as I said, not possible in this game. Boo Hoo.
  • Options
    Emma859929Emma859929 Posts: 4
    edited July 2011
    It is cheating in each game. If you have any type of romantic fling with a sim and flirt with another it is cheating in the sims world.
  • Options
    StrawberryBasketStrawberryBasket Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited July 2011
    I consider having more then one romantic interest cheating in real life and the sims. Even if your not boy/girlfriend and your still kissing and dating them if you or the other kiss someone else it's still cheating.

I agree with catlover. The last thing I would ever want is someone to get close enough to me for me to allow them to kiss me only to see or hear about them kissing someone else later on. Whomever could deal with that I say more power to you but personally I would feel cheated on. I can totally see why the game considers it cheating. Others feel differently though.
  • Options
    MisfireCUMisfireCU Posts: 1 New Member
    edited January 2012
    Okay I get the whole arguement of it's cheating to kiss someone and then turn around and kiss someone else. But my sims went on one date with a guy (and they kissed, once!), then couldn't get in contact with him for two weeks, so she started dating someone else. She got engaged to new sim and one day she goes over to his place and he`s ****** because she `cheated` on him by kissing that guy awhile before she even met him.
  • Options
    lwllms007lwllms007 Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2012
    I don't understand why romantic interest would be cheating. If the other sim makes it clear that they don't really see your sim as "the one" the heart should disappear from them even if your sim is still pining after them. My sim keeps getting a naughty reputation because she dated a sim exclusively, I got a pop up box where he basically gave her the "it's not you it's me line" and when the new guy she was interested in became a romantic interest she was suddenly naughty! I mean the dude dumped her and yet because they had dated in the past she has a negative reputation.

Even sims she dated that passed on seem to negatively effect her reputation. She was married, her spouse died, came back as a ghost and her girlfriend, they officially broke up so she could move on, all new love interests want her to break up with the ex spouse ghost, and she keeps trying to confess to cheating when she only sees one sim at a time.

Even using the clean reputation award doesn't help, ot resets her relationships with non family sims and they still obsess over her dead spouse that she never mentions!!!! Does anyone know how to get them past the dead spouse so she can get married or at least go steady already!?
  • Options
    SuzalilliSuzalilli Posts: 88 New Member
    edited January 2012
    Woah! I think some of you are, much like the game, taking this way too seriously.

In real life, or at least my experience of it, confessing an attraction to someone, or even having a little kiss, does not signify a long-term commitment on my part! I think it's really quite sinister that the game conditions you to think that flirting with someone and saying "You know, I kinda like you" means you cannot flirt with or like another person because that makes you - gasp - *naughty*.

I call BS. In my younger, more care-free days there might have been a couple of guys I was interested in at one time, and I might have gone out on a couple of dates with them both to get to know them better and decide which one, if either, I liked best. I don't consider that cheating.
  • Options
    AminididiAminididi Posts: 125 New Member
    edited January 2012
    Yeah haha my sim did that with like 5 diffrent sims, then ivited them all over and they all accused him of cheating. Now they all hate him :)
  • Options
    knt1229knt1229 Posts: 2,227 Member
    edited January 2012
    Dating can be complicated but I think the game does a decent enough job at trying to simplify it. Keep in mind it is a family game. So all the hook ups and friends with benefits type of situations aren't going to be included and shouldn't be for a game with a "T" rating.

Kissing someone doesn't make a long term committment but alot of people would be mad to find out someone who told them they really liked them turned around and was saying the same thing to someone else.

And kissing/hooking up/making out with multiple people can get you a bad reputation IRL.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Perhaps in your world, knt1229. But in mine we are all adults and kissing a few boys does not give one a bad reputation.

It's different to date a person, and therefore be committed to them, and then play around behind their back. That's cheating. Flirting with more than one man is not cheating, and I really resent the game telling me that it is.

The keyword here is commitment. A romantic interest is just that, an interest. It's not necessarily a precursor to a long-term relationship. If someone I just met went out on a date with someone else as well as me, what right have I got to be angry? We just met, for crying out loud! It's not like he's put a ring on my finger.

The cut-off point here should be when a sim asks another sim to go steady. Any shenanigans after that should count towards their reputation. Until then, while they are just romantic interests, it's nobody's business but their own.

Edit: And they really need to change the interactions for finding out what someone's sign is and whether or not they're single from romantic to friendly.
  • Options
    shogunfishshogunfish Posts: 10,167 Member
    edited January 2012
    It bothers me that if you have them break up, and then they see each other around town they get accused of cheating.

Going on a couple of dates with a couple of people without agreeing to be exclusive with anyone is not cheating. Although sometimes I wish I could make my sims be players without having everybody be mad, for story telling purposes. Does the 'Above Reproach' LTR do that?
    tumblr_mvnzkbN6yD1ric1guo1_1280.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Suzalilli wrote:
    Perhaps in your world, knt1229. But in mine we are all adults and kissing a few boys does not give one a bad reputation.

It's different to date a person, and therefore be committed to them, and then play around behind their back. That's cheating. Flirting with more than one man is not cheating, and I really resent the game telling me that it is.

The keyword here is commitment. A romantic interest is just that, an interest. It's not necessarily a precursor to a long-term relationship. If someone I just met went out on a date with someone else as well as me, what right have I got to be angry? We just met, for crying out loud! It's not like he's put a ring on my finger.

The cut-off point here should be when a sim asks another sim to go steady. Any shenanigans after that should count towards their reputation. Until then, while they are just romantic interests, it's nobody's business but their own.

Edit: And they really need to change the interactions for finding out what someone's sign is and whether or not they're single from romantic to friendly.

I live in the USA as an adult and as I said the game is a family game. So hook ups and friends with benefits shouldn't be included. In my very adult world not everybody thinks that's cool.

If hooking up is how you "date" then that's on you but you must realize that not everybody does things that way and those type of choices aren't appropiate for a kids game.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    But this isn't a kids game. I'd be very uncomfortable letting my 10 year-old play this game. I even cringed when I found out my 14 year-old was playing Sims Social.

I don't want EA teaching my kids about relationships. Especially when they're teaching my kids that someone asking your star sign is a romantic overture and flirting with one person you've only just met means you must stay 100% faithful to them or people will say mean stuff behind your back!

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Suzalilli wrote:
    But this isn't a kids game. I'd be very uncomfortable letting my 10 year-old play this game. I even cringed when I found out my 14 year-old was playing Sims Social.

I don't want EA teaching my kids about relationships. Especially when they're teaching my kids that someone asking your star sign is a romantic overture and flirting with one person you've only just met means you must stay 100% faithful to them or people will say mean stuff behind your back!

Well the game is rated "T" for teen. IMO, teens are still kids and many young teens haven't experienced any forms of dating, yet. EA needs to keep it wholesome and innocent. No need to get into all the gray areas of dating. This is just my opinion, of course.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    But that doesn't make any sense, because you're not taking into account how you get the other reputations (Casanova? Natasha? Don Juan?), and the strut of pride or the walk of shame. Those are VERY grubby areas. But by your reckoning that's perfectly okay. It's just hedging your bets that's wrong. :?:
  • Options
    GrimboldeGrimbolde Posts: 3
    edited September 2012
    Ok. I have a female teen sim who went to the Prom without a date (she got in car with the other household teens who did have dates before I could stop her, so I went ahead and let her go "stag" not knowing what would happen). During the prom she automatically became romantically interested in Dimitri Ivanov, but were not going steady. Not long afterward, I had that sim ask her "romantic interest" out (but not on a date) in order to socialize with, learn that sim's traits, and see if compatible before deciding on whether or not to continue the "relationship" between them. After learning some of that sim's traits, I found that Dimitri was Dramatic, Over-Emotional, and the complete opposite of my female teen sim (an "umm no, just no" moment lol).
    Unfortunately, there was no "break it off" or "just be friends" option (I checked). Since it didn't, I decided that she not interact with him in any way simply because I did not want my sim with him (keeping the relationship meter between them at/around acquaintance level).

Later, my sim finally met a male teen that she was compatible with. I had the two sim's become "boyfriend/girlfriend", but whenever she goes on a date with her sim boyfriend she gets the naughty/cheating notice.

I really wish EA would patch this and enable "just be friends" option with a "romantic interest", as well as an option to accept or decline auto assignment of a romantic interest as a result of "prom".

• Options
    n00biityon00biityo Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited September 2012
    I'm sick and tired of the puritan psychobabble silliness. What may be "wholesome" to you, may not be the same for others. This is why EA should leave room for people to decide for themselves what they want to do with their games.

Next thing you know Sims 4 won't have the option for same sex couples. People should know that every aspect of life comes with grey areas; it's those who think in therms of it's either black or white that often cause problem in society.

Another thing I can't stand is the "wonchu think of the cildrun?!!" rhetoric. If you're kid can't understand the difference between a game and real life than you have bigger problem on your hands that has nothing to with EA.

As a child I could watch a movie about bullying without getting the urge of bullying others or thinking that it's ok because they mad e a movie about it.

Not to mention that just because the game is rated T for Teen that doesn't mean that only teens play the game. I mean do the freaking math. Many of the hardcore fans predate TS1, how old do you think they are?! Old enough to know be able to handle the grey areas of dating life I'm sure.

And whatever happened to "talk to your kids"?! Good parents would talk to their children so even if there was any confusion, that would have cleared it right up. Children aren't as dumb and helpless as certain people would like you think.

You also have to keep in mind that a 7 y/o won't be interested in playing out the same scenarios as a 17 y/o or a 27 y/o. Chances are if you think a certain behavior is wrong, you won't be playing it out in your game in the first place.

So yes, having a rep is fun but EA should allow me to play that story about that "playa" who changed his life around or a shy sim that had 180 after her first couple of dates and decided she doesn't want to commit to anyone and just want to enjoy life, without having me to jump through hoops to make it happen.

It would have been more sensible if romantic interests wouldn't feel betrayed or cheated on but it the game kept track of how many the sim had at the time and gave it a rep based on that.

It would have also been sensible if the romantic interest would go away over time if the sims didn't interact with each other for a couple of sim days. Maybe a sim week or two.

It would have made sense if sims with different traits had other reactions to said rep.

For example:
    Sims who have many romantic interests get the casanova rep
    Sims who are committed (married/engaged/going steady etc.) who engage in romantic interactions with other sims should indeed be considered as cheaters and get a "heart breaker" rep.

A flirty sim would have no problem dating either one. A sim with commitment issues would date either one but be put off by a sim who has the faithful rep (since they are more likely to want a serious commitment). A family oriented sim would be put off by both reps but be attracted to a sim with the faithful rep.

That would give the player plenty of room to play out many exciting stories without turning it into a nightmarish task.
  • Options
    sammiesammiedeansammiesammiedean Posts: 16
    edited September 2012
    Grimbolde wrote:
    Ok. I have a female teen sim who went to the Prom without a date (she got in car with the other household teens who did have dates before I could stop her, so I went ahead and let her go "stag" not knowing what would happen). During the prom she automatically became romantically interested in Dimitri Ivanov, but were not going steady. Not long afterward, I had that sim ask her "romantic interest" out (but not on a date) in order to socialize with, learn that sim's traits, and see if compatible before deciding on whether or not to continue the "relationship" between them. After learning some of that sim's traits, I found that Dimitri was Dramatic, Over-Emotional, and the complete opposite of my female teen sim (an "umm no, just no" moment lol).
    Unfortunately, there was no "break it off" or "just be friends" option (I checked). Since it didn't, I decided that she not interact with him in any way simply because I did not want my sim with him (keeping the relationship meter between them at/around acquaintance level).

Later, my sim finally met a male teen that she was compatible with. I had the two sim's become "boyfriend/girlfriend", but whenever she goes on a date with her sim boyfriend she gets the naughty/cheating notice.

I really wish EA would patch this and enable "just be friends" option with a "romantic interest", as well as an option to accept or decline auto assignment of a romantic interest as a result of "prom".

This! A thousand times this. My sim aged up too close to prom to properly get a date, and she was chatting up a guy before hand, but he left before she had a chance to ask him to prom. Still, she wanted to go so I sent her and her brother stag (because for some reason, there really aren't any female teen sims in my town. I think they were all shipped to boarding school, or something).

She came home with a romantic interest (the brother didn't, though. sexist much? or maybe there really aren't any teen girl sims in my town) with a guy she never talked to in her life and hasn't talked to since, and gets penalized for it when I finally get her together with the guy she'd been (ok, I'd been having her) chasing before the prom. It's not right in a game I'm supposed to control. I thought long and hard about who she'd be with in the end (as I'm sure everyone else does for their sims), and she WOULD be faithful (like her mother and father) if it weren't for the stupid, rabbit-holey prom.
  • Options
    quil1986quil1986 Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    I completely agree. I think that a romantic interest should just be that, a romantic interest, a way to keep your options open. I hate the fact that I want my sim to date around a little without a full commitment but then considered "cheating".
    It is like this for all sims 3 games, I don't have the generations version yet.
  • Options
    RockleyfamilyRockleyfamily Posts: 5,730 Member
    edited January 2014
    Personally if my boyfriend had romantic interests and went on dates with them I would count that as cheating, deffo. :shock:

I do agree though that some of the interactions in the game seem harmless to me but get my sims in trouble. Asking somebody their star sign or asking them if they're single aren't really romantic interactions, you'd ask a new friend those things in RL while trying to get to know them. I've had sims get in lots of trouble for those things... v silly.
  • Options
    Kstailey56Kstailey56 Posts: 3 New Member
    Think of this, like this - Old Fashioned, as in 1950 Old Fashioned - In this era of 'American Life' (Granted The Sims is more Global - most of the time) - It was considered inappropriate for a person to be "Kissing On" more than one person - When you kissed a (girl/guy) it was then an unofficial official declaration of a committed relationship - Therefore if you were later kissing someone else - well, you got a bad rep and you were in essence cheating - Fast forward to modern life globally - You can kiss a guy as a guy, a girl as a girl, interracial, anything goes from that aspect, however, once there is a "Romantic Interest" Tag on you Sim - you are "Flashed Back" to 1950 - Go figure. Granted in real modern life we can and do have perhaps even several 'love or romantic interests', and unless or until you make one an exclusive love interest, you are single and available. IMO The Sims Model should be exactly like this - You can kiss, make-out, embrace, even WooHoo whomever you wish with no "Accusations of Cheating" even remotely considered - THEN, IF/WHEN, when you press that "Propose Going Steady" - this is when you are in an exclusive relationship and further all other "Romantic Interest" designations should disappear WITHOUT a Negative Impact on the underlying relationship - i.e. you are still Friends. All this being said - there is in The Sims 3 at least a Life Achievement called "Clean Slate" - it costs 25000 Simoleans, can only be used once - (which is dumb, what if you break up and start searching for love again), anyway, this will clear all romantic interest level relationships and you will not be "Accused of Cheating" with your new love. My opinion for what it's worth - But hey, it's a game and it has bugs in it - this is one annoying bug - It is after all kind of fun too in way - Create Drama in your life - Lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top