Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Romantic Interest is NOT Cheating

Comments

• Options
    angldiorangldior Posts: 4,379 Member
    edited July 2011
    To me having a romantic interest is cheating. In this game the only way to get a romantic interest is to kiss them so that in my book is cheating. In my game if I have a sim with an older romantic interest in time they will turn back into friends.
  • Options
    ladynaavaladynaava Posts: 1,243 New Member
    edited July 2011
    katoregama wrote:
    I had a topic about this myself. I had a sim browsing town, trying to find a potential partner. NO kissing and NO dating was involved. I stuck to the platonic interactions like Flirt, Compliment Personality/Appearance, and Hold Hands. I made no commitments to anyone.

Well, once I found a few compatibles, I decided to move them up to being romantic interests. Seeing as how several NPC sims may be MARRIED with a Romantic Interest or two on the side, I figured there was no harm in having a few casual dates. Again. There was no kissing involved.

The second person I confessed an attraction to immediately gave my sim the cheater relationship. It didn't even go to Naughty first. It was just, BAM! Instant Cheater. He was dating no one, married to no one, had kissed no one... and had 4 counts of cheating, with only 2 romantic interests he hadn't even involved himself with.

Apparently at every stage of a sim relationship (there are three), you have small percentage of being accused of cheating at each stage of the relationship.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    nadynej wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I do agree with freedom in gameplay, but people tend to confuse what is ok in gaming or TV and what this does in RL.

It might be fun to burn the wife in-game, but divorce is better in RL. :P

Just like having woohoo with 20 sims can be challenging, in RL its having risky, "casual" fun. Still, can't pretend you're being serious, it's just a question of respect.

But, yeah, that's just me.

Heh.I see what you are saying. And I'm by no means advocating promiscuity in RL. But I don't think I'm confusing reality and tv/gaming with the fact that I still think its ok to date multiple people as long as you are upfront about it.

Threads like these are interesting because it shows that people have different values and beliefs about relationships.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    LEvans102071LEvans102071 Posts: 448 Member
    edited July 2011
    usergino wrote:
    @yournamehere488: You r definetly a player if u think its ok to go on dates wit multiple people and kiss other people that is just like so wrong and i feal really sorry for whoever u date in the sims game or in rl

So.. by that logic, by reading the way you post on these forums, you must be unable to spell correctly...

"I feel sorry for you, and your lack of spelling comprehension."

For you people that feel that dating different people is "cheating" .. I do not envy the world you live in.. B&W is soooooo 1950's It's the new millennium... and life shouldn't be black and white.

Peace
  • Options
    nadynejnadynej Posts: 43 Member
    edited July 2011
    Anyway, I haven't got really far in this expension yet, I bought it yesterday. I was starting to get a bit too frustrated with the game. I have to confess, I'm a tweek freak!

The fact that you can't modify the map to upgrade it to the new expension possibilities (add city HERE) or even align lots to roads properly makes me nuts. Also, that the game slows or crashes just because I organized every family on the map (+bin) to make more sense, thats just ARG!

Back to the subject, if what you guys say is right, then it defies the perpus (? sorry I frenchy) of the Master romancer/heartbreaker lifetime wishes. I know someone once suggested to add the "cheater" thing on this forum, but it shouldn't hinder the gaming experience.

Why didn't they just improve on sims 2... :roll:
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    nadynej Yeah, I hear you on both counts and customization to boot. I'm constantly trying to make attractive sims and alas it is hard to do! Adding things to towns to take advantage of the latest expansion is likewise time consuming. I always want the new lots so I do not have to travel to china to use a dojo.

I can't honestly imagine what EA was thinking with the romance rep feature. It really doesn't fit the 'generations' theme at all. Perhaps an overall rep- would've been better... A sim could be a total floozy and still donate more to charity than anyone else in town, but EA is only tracking the romance rep of a sim and a sim is more than just who they sleep with. How about tracking how many times the sim put out a fire, donated to charity, etc.

I can only think, that they wanted to reward sims who were 'faithful' and instead of making a faithful award, or trait they came up with this.

I can't imagine doing the master romancer lifetime want. I've never done it personally, as that much promiscuity doesn't appeal, but You'd have sims following you all over town giving your sim a hard time. Especially with no jealousy completely broken.

Clearly, EA didn't test this very well, and then only base game with new expansion. If they had, they'd see that it doesn't play well and the rep feature hampers gameplay too much.

If I were doing it, I'd continue to reward faithfulness but leave the negative stuff out. No value is added by having your sim called a 🐸🐸🐸🐸- at least for me.
  • Options
    savethecatssavethecats Posts: 345 Member
    edited July 2011
    My Sim came home from a hard day at work, found her one and only Romantic Interest waiting at her door, where he proceeded to accuse her of cheating and then slap her! HUH?! They had ONE date the night before! LOL!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    :mrgreen:Ok, so what was your sim up to during her coffee break... :oops: Ooo lala!

Seriously, that sucks, even in RL :?
  • Options
    koolyaidkoolyaid Posts: 789 New Member
    edited July 2011
    nadynej wrote:
    First of all, please don't bring reality TV into this, cause everybody with a working brain knows it should be called uber-fake TV.

I know it's fake. I was trying to say that in real life people have open relationships and have no problem with their partner being with someone else and that going on a few dates is not so bad in comparison to having a household full of guys/girls that you are making out with.
  • Options
    koolyaidkoolyaid Posts: 789 New Member
    edited July 2011
    usergino wrote:
    koolyaid wrote:
    usergino wrote:
    @yournamehere488: You r definetly a player if u think its ok to go on dates wit multiple people and kiss other people that is just like so wrong and i feal really sorry for whoever u date in the sims game or in rl

Really!? It's just a game :roll:. Just because you make your sim do one thing (like have 100 kids) doesn't mean you would do it in RL or even want to do it in RL. Besides people date around in RL all the time and on reality shows and people still want to be with them. I don't date around in RL, but there's no need to insult people who do it in their game and asume they do it in RL.

@koolyaid: he even said he dont see anything wrong wit kissing other people so that means he prolly does that in rl

He probably meant that there was nothing wrong with it in the game and even if he does do that in RL, you don't know him personally, so that doesn't give you the right to insult him or call him out on it.
  • Options
    PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member
    edited July 2011
    Personally, I feel the new Reputation system is too conservative and judgemental.

It not only takes away from my control in making my own stories the way I want, but also hampers full functionality of certain built-in gameplay features:
    LTWs such as: Heartbreaker, Master Romancer, Golddigger;
    Traits: such as Commitment Issues, Flirty, Inappropriate, etc.;
    Lifetime Rewards: such as No Jealousy, Midlife Crisis, Master of Seduction.

It is interesting to hear different people's definitions of what constitutes "cheating." My opinion is that cheating can only happen when there is commitment: you've promised to see someone exclusively, and then break your promise.

Just because you're going out on dates or outings with different people to whom you're attracted, doesn't mean you've promised to see them exclusively. If you happen to get a little intimate and kiss your date, that certainly doesn't mean you're in love with them and are making a commitment to see only them. Love takes time to grow. A kiss does not equal love. This is where the Sims gets a bit overdone.

Yes, if you go around kissing all your dates IN FRONT of each other, that will make the others jealous, and is actually quite rude. But in the privacy of your home, it is no one else's business, especially the general public's, and especially if you are not married or committed to anyone.

For my Sims, monogamy is my preference and ideal, but not for every household I play. If EA doesn't lighten up with the Reputations, I will have to resort to using a mod.
  • Options
    JustKeepSimmingJustKeepSimming Posts: 3,447 Member
    edited July 2011
    Pamhamlet wrote:
    Just because you're going out on dates or outings with different people to whom you're attracted, doesn't mean you've promised to see them exclusively. If you happen to get a little intimate and kiss your date, that certainly doesn't mean you're in love with them and are making a commitment to see only them. Love takes time to grow. A kiss does not equal love. This is where the Sims gets a bit overdone.

No one has put it better. 100% agree with this.
  • Options
    MiyuEmiMiyuEmi Posts: 2,404 Member
    edited July 2011
    I agree with this entirely. This was a really, really stupid thing to do in my opinion. Flirting, being interested in etc does not a partner make. You should not have to track down these people and say you 'Just want to be friends'. It's ridiculous to learn you're cheating just because you flirted with or kissed some sim back in school and they were then made a romantic interest. Only if you made this sim your boyfriend or girlfriend should things be considered cheating. Another annoying entry to my otherwise favourite expansion pack.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
    Crowley Family Legacy Patriarch - Jonah Crowley
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Pamhamlet wrote:
    Personally, I feel the new Reputation system is too conservative and judgemental.

It not only takes away from my control in making my own stories the way I want, but also hampers full functionality of certain built-in gameplay features:

It is interesting to hear different people's definitions of what constitutes "cheating." My opinion is that cheating can only happen when there is commitment: you've promised to see someone exclusively, and then break your promise.

Yes, if you go around kissing all your dates IN FRONT of each other, that will make the others jealous, and is actually quite rude. But in the privacy of your home, it is no one else's business, especially the general public's, and especially if you are not married or committed to anyone.

For my Sims, monogamy is my preference and ideal, but not for every household I play. If EA doesn't lighten up with the Reputations, I will have to resort to using a mod.

I agree. I think the new system is definitely too conservative, and inescapable as well. It is no fun, when your sim is having a consensual relationship behind closed doors and the rumor mill starts, when, nope, no one ever saw. It is very difficult to avoid. It started with celebrity rumors: (child born out of wedlock), but now this...

The sims is about simulating life, and not every sim should want the same kind of romantic relationship. There will be faithful monogamist types, and freeloving hippie types, and everything within the spectrum.
  • Options
    BoltzY2kBoltzY2k Posts: 11,123 New Member
    edited July 2011
    ladynaava wrote:
    Pamhamlet wrote:

I agree. I think the new system is definitely too conservative, and inescapable as well. It is no fun, when your sim is having a consensual relationship behind closed doors and the rumor mill starts, when, nope, no one ever saw. It is very difficult to avoid. It started with celebrity rumors: (child born out of wedlock), but now this...

The sims is about simulating life, and not every sim should want the same kind of romantic relationship. There will be faithful monogamist types, and freeloving hippie types, and everything within the spectrum.

I too have noticed the conservativeness with the celebrity thing when your sim is disgraced for having a child born out of wedlock. Makes me wonder if they have old fashioned 80 year olds on their creative team. Though I think the celebrity system was inspired by old hollywood where it was widely believed that celebrity couples had arranged marriage and it was a bit conservative back then. The rich celebrities living in the "Bridgeport Hills", Check out Alan Stanley? is that his name, he's supposed to be a spoof of Woody Allen. He has this old fashioned type of bar in his basement. But yeah EA tried to make celebrities very snobbish they won't talk to you unless your're friends and they look down on "immoral acts" like having babies born out of wedlock. But with that said it was a fail because like you mentioned about the spectrum of romantic relationships in the game plus also player perspectives. In a way it does offend people who have different views than EA. Bottomline it wasn't well thought out and they didn't do their research. Like with the ask alma mata interaction where it's mostly a U.S. thing and sims is an international game not everyone is gonna get it.
  • Options
    NeonixNeonix Posts: 143
    edited July 2011
    I agree with the OP on this one. I wouldn't consider it cheating unless two people had already made a commitment to go steady. Breaking up with one interest to date another is not necessary. But it's good to keep in mind that some people may want your full attention even early on, so you should talk about your intentions.

Here's one thing I wonder. If you want to have a Sim with many girlfriends at once, like some bad boy biker with a woman under each arm, is it possible in this game or would they automatically get jealous and break up with him? It should be possible to make our Sims do whatever we want.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited July 2011
    BoltzY2k wrote:
    I too have noticed the conservativeness with the celebrity thing when your sim is disgraced for having a child born out of wedlock. Makes me wonder if they have old fashioned 80 year olds on their creative team. Though I think the celebrity system was inspired by old hollywood where it was widely believed that celebrity couples had arranged marriage and it was a bit conservative back then. The rich celebrities living in the "Bridgeport Hills", Check out Alan Stanley? is that his name, he's supposed to be a spoof of Woody Allen. He has this old fashioned type of bar in his basement. But yeah EA tried to make celebrities very snobbish they won't talk to you unless your're friends and they look down on "immoral acts" like having babies born out of wedlock. But with that said it was a fail because like you mentioned about the spectrum of romantic relationships in the game plus also player perspectives. In a way it does offend people who have different views than EA. Bottomline it wasn't well thought out and they didn't do their research. Like with the ask alma mata interaction where it's mostly a U.S. thing and sims is an international game not everyone is gonna get it.

I wonder if EA has abandoned the theories of Will Wright, because it sounds like their solution space is not adequate to the problems people are trying to get around.
    So I guess what really draws me to interactive entertainment and the thing that I try to keep focused on is enabling the creativity of the player. Giving them a pretty large solution space to solve the problem within the game. So the game represents this problem landscape. Most games have small solution landscapes, so there’s one possible solution and one way to solve it. Other games, the games that tend to be more creative, have a much larger solution space, so you can potentially solve this problem in a way that nobody else has. If you’re building a solution, how large that solution space is gives the player a much stronger feeling of empathy. If they know that what they’ve done is unique to them, they tend to care for it a lot more. I think that’s the direction I tend to come from.”

I'm going to take a break from my current household and try playing around with the romantic reputations just to see what this is all about.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    BoltzY2kBoltzY2k Posts: 11,123 New Member
    edited July 2011
    CK213 wrote:
    BoltzY2k wrote:

I wonder if EA has abandoned the theories of Will Wright, because it sounds like their solution space is not adequate to the problems people are trying to get around.
    So I guess what really draws me to interactive entertainment and the thing that I try to keep focused on is enabling the creativity of the player. Giving them a pretty large solution space to solve the problem within the game. So the game represents this problem landscape. Most games have small solution landscapes, so there’s one possible solution and one way to solve it. Other games, the games that tend to be more creative, have a much larger solution space, so you can potentially solve this problem in a way that nobody else has. If you’re building a solution, how large that solution space is gives the player a much stronger feeling of empathy. If they know that what they’ve done is unique to them, they tend to care for it a lot more. I think that’s the direction I tend to come from.”

I'm going to take a break from my current household and try playing around with the romantic reputations just to see what this is all about.

I think so it's evident since the base game. Everything is a bit constricted and water down compared to sims 2. Looks like it's a trade off between quality for profits. Add a bit of elements from the old games, up a notch with some eye candy and bedazzlement for marketing and they turn out with a new product but it's a half done job. But that's okay we can push our EA store and get people to buy virtual items there for inflated prices. No wonder people compare sims 3 and sims 2. But after all is said and done I still like sims 3 better mainly because of the open neighborhood and no loading screens plus there's no one "best career" that pays well (it was the hacker career in the sims 1!!) since now you can earn raises. Okay getting way off topic with my ramblings. But I do have to give it to EA for the gay marriage thing for a company that seems a bit conservative. Just when I thought I had them figued out lol.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited July 2011
    This is what I mean by the solution space being too small for the problem space.

I built this private lot for the purpose of trying to get around the issue.
    Screenshot-1710.jpg

But since the game sees everything and sims seem to be psychic, having a lot that is isolated and other sims can't visit doesn't matter at all. It just sucks the depth right out of the game.

Why can't it be that a sim needs to be present on a lot for rumors to get out?
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    from what I understand it is a proximity thing, so no one need be present. If you have a neigbor, a maid or even go to a park, you're screwed. the chances of it happening are worse if the person who spies you is a friend of your sim.

Even if there is no one present, as you up the anty, the percentage of getting 'accused' occurs at each level.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well, that all sucks..

I'd say they hired a few Microsoft programmers unknowingly and ended up with Sims 3...

Would explain all the bugs, The Store $$$ and the cheap expensions. As if they didn't have enough input from their Fans...No respect!
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited July 2011
    Neonix wrote:
    I agree with the OP on this one. I wouldn't consider it cheating unless two people had already made a commitment to go steady. Breaking up with one interest to date another is not necessary. But it's good to keep in mind that some people may want your full attention even early on, so you should talk about your intentions.

Here's one thing I wonder. If you want to have a Sim with many girlfriends at once, like some bad boy biker with a woman under each arm, is it possible in this game or would they automatically get jealous and break up with him? It should be possible to make our Sims do whatever we want.

It use to be possible before the no jelousy lifetime reward broke.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    RE: no jealousy

I guess in simslandia, reputation supercedes anything else. So even if a sim who has no jealousy- and thus is not affected by cheating is cheated upon- the game decides this upsets the sim enough to break the relationship. Kind of dumb really. This kind of shows that they didn't test it with any expansion except base game.

I did write tech support about this problem. They told me to write about it in the bugs/feedback forum. Which I did, and they also gave me a 20.00 coupon and promised to forward my complaint to the developers. I hope they do actually address it, but I'm not particularly hopeful.

I did appreciate the 20.00 coupon which I used to buy the next stuff pack... But still they need to fix it.
  • Options
    PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member
    edited July 2011
    I love reading everyone's input about this. Everyone is making good and valid points here.

ladynaava wrote:
    ... This kind of shows that they didn't test it with any expansion except base game.

I really wonder if they ever actually lay EP down upon EP altogether over the base game (just like us players do) and THEN test the game? With the amount of bugs we all experience every time an EP/SP is released, doesn't seem like they test it that way, but only as you stated---over the base game only. I wonder what features are actually tested? It'd be nice to be a fly on the wall in their studios!

I would love more input from EA, whether from developers or SimGurus about addressing our concerns. Why are they so invisible? Also, I'd want to read it here on this site where it belongs, NOT on Facebook. :roll:

ladynaava wrote:
    ...I did write tech support about this problem. They told me to write about it in the bugs/feedback forum. Which I did, and they also gave me a 20.00 coupon and promised to forward my complaint to the developers. I hope they do actually address it, but I'm not particularly hopeful...

Which is why I finally broke down after being mod-free for the last 2 years, and got Severedsolo's Reputation mod from MTS. Btw, it was generous of EA to give you the coupon, but yeah, we're looking for a real solution. ;)

I love what CK213 quoted from Will Wright. It does seem like his ideals have been swept under the rug, to our detriment.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Me, too. the mod is helpful. But I do wish I wouldn't have to mod the game to fix a poorly implemented feature! :shock:
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top