Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• Options
    amberandfreddieamberandfreddie Posts: 301 Member
    edited October 2013
    Hi everyone,
    Just taking time out to look at everyone's media, so many fantastic builds!! :P i get lot's of idea's to store away for the future ArikaB's library with the ladders is so clever, :thumbup: i hope you don't mind if i borrow it for the next build.
  • Options
    Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    edited October 2013
    Wow, so many problems with ceilings! Some of you may find this tutorial by SimEve helpful: http://createveworks.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/ceiling-tile-fix.html It has saved my hide on a number of occasions.

With regards to extra ceiling tiles being visible from underneath them, you can always try just hovering over them with the sledgehammer, it has worked for me....
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • Options
    suepeasuepea Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited October 2013
    Hi everyone,

RL has snuck up on me and both my daughter and I have been feeling pretty awful for the last couple of days. But I have been following everyone's submissions and just wanted to wish everyone good luck -- there are some amazing builds that have been posted in the last few days. I have been in bed with my ipad, pouring over slideshows and taking mental notes every time I see one of the very clever features in everyone's creative and clever houses. I have learned so much from looking at other people's work and that is a big part of the reason I take part in these competitions.

Thanks, Faith, for the link to the ceiling tutorial. Will be spending some time looking at that ASAP.

Now, on to read about the next challenge!

Best to all,

Sue Pea
    h2xmsbl]
  • Options
    anniepksanniepks Posts: 561 Member
    edited October 2013
    Beginner Results for 217-218 One Woman's Treasure are here:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/600/279926.page#11433255
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    O poor Supea,

I hope both you and your daughter feel better soon.

Faith,

Thank's for the link, it should save me a lot of time instead of having to move item's,
    i still have a problem with tile's under platform's not being visible though, so if you have any tip's there i would be really grateful.
  • Options
    countrykris1playcountrykris1play Posts: 155 Member
    edited October 2013
    3 self contained bedroom suites, that means full en-suites for all the rooms

I'm sorry but what does this mean?
  • Options
    edited October 2013

En-suit just mean's a bathroom for the bedroom its joined to,entered directly through it.Hope that help's :)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    O ok thank you.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Intermediate Results for #217-218 are now available here .
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Don't know if I will have time for this one. Also what is up with always having to have a garden.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    O poor Supea,

Faith,

Thank's for the link, it should save me a lot of time instead of having to move item's,
    i still have a problem with tile's under platform's not being visible though, so if you have any tip's there i would be really grateful.
    I'm really sorry, but I am at a loss to explain that one...

amberandfreddie has that right, it just means that the bathrooms are attached to the bedrooms.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    FaithofKaela your link only goes to a picture. It's mine so thats ok lol j/k
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for the heads up Kris, I've fixed it ;)
  • Options
    LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited October 2013
    Wow, so many problems with ceilings! Some of you may find this tutorial by SimEve helpful: http://createveworks.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/ceiling-tile-fix.html It has saved my hide on a number of occasions.

With regards to extra ceiling tiles being visible from underneath them, you can always try just hovering over them with the sledgehammer, it has worked for me....

Thanks for the link! When I read that I remembered I did do that! haha Lucky shot :) at first it was a gap of 3 by 4 (with 2 halves) and with that trick it reduced to only one halve that was left. But it wouldn't do that last one :( But I'll try to remove the floortile on the 2nd floor and try again. maybe that helps :)

Congrats to the winners of the Beginners and intermediate!
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    No worries Lebanna - good luck!

Guys, I'm really sorry, but I'm not going to get the Advanced results up today. I hope to get them to you by the end of the weekend at the latest.
  • Options
    LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited October 2013
    No worries Lebanna - good luck!

Guys, I'm really sorry, but I'm not going to get the Advanced results up today. I hope to get them to you by the end of the weekend at the latest.

No worries ;) There were suddenly a lot more entries ;) it takes time ;)
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    O poor Supea,

Faith,

I'm really sorry, but I am at a loss to explain that one...

amberandfreddie has that right, it just means that the bathrooms are attached to the bedrooms.

Thank's Faith,
    i think i'll try angling up from the floor below and deleting then hitting redo,i didn't try that before, i was worried about losing the platform,i'll see if that work's if i run into the same problem again..but thank's anyway.

No prob's about the results :D
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I'm sorry,
    But it has be a fusty old mansion
    I mean i'ts Count Dracula "right" and spooky days :twisted: right around the corner, and beside's i suddenly feel all Victorian and it wouldn't be proper..

I have just the Fusty Old Victorian Mansion i've been working on for my daughter for halloween and i'm really exicited about useing it.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I'm sorry,
    I mean i'ts Count Dracula "right" and spooky days :twisted: right around the corner, and beside's i suddenly feel all Victorian and it wouldn't be proper..

I have just the Fusty Old Victorian Mansion i've been working on for my daughter for halloween and i'm really exicited about useing it.
    Amber - feel free to build a fusty old mansion, just be aware that you may be marked down for not following the brief....
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I'm sorry,

Amber - feel free to build a fusty old mansion, just be aware that you may be marked down for not following the brief....

Oh that's fine Faith i don't really mind, i'm just enjoying building for fun
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I'm sorry,

Oh that's fine Faith i don't really mind, i'm just enjoying building for fun
    That's what I like to hear!!!
  • Options
    ArikaBArikaB Posts: 259 Member
    edited October 2013
    Hi everyone,
    Just taking time out to look at everyone's media, so many fantastic builds!! :P i get lot's of idea's to store away for the future ArikaB's library with the ladders is so clever, :thumbup: i hope you don't mind if i borrow it for the next build.

Not at all. Go for it! I've always wanted a big library like that. I'm just glad it translated into Sims. I was afraid the floor tiles for the upper shelves and the ladder wouldn't delete properly, but they did!

Suepea, I hope you feel better soon. Too bad you can't go to the hospital, take a $200 flu/allergy shot, and be immediately better like Sims can.
  • Options
    saint_gambisaint_gambi Posts: 286 Member
    edited October 2013
    ☆saint_gambi☆
    This lot is architecturally incredibly interesting, The exterior wall treatments feel a touch bland, I wonder if you had used some edged panelling, it would have made it stand out a little more. The landscaping is certainly verdant and lush, however, I do not see any lawn left! I would have liked to have been able to see a couple of overhead shots to see how this lot is laid out. Your object choices and placement are wonderful, however, I do find myself wondering if those baths in the alcoves are fully accessible. I am impressed with the amount you have managed to fit into this lot, all the skill building equipment especially. Your palette works well throughout and that pirate bar is something else. Apart from the lack of lawn, you have certainly fulfilled the requirements of this challenge. My favourite area has got to be that skill building area in what I imagine to be the basement, it's so cosy down there.

🐸🐸🐸🐸! Missed it by that much. I actually took a few overhead shots as I was trying to weed out CAPs to upload the lot yesterday. I never got around to uploading it, and forgot about those pics. It wasn't especially well laid out which was my only gripe in a previous post -- the "lab" area along with the music room were both in what was essentially an attic space, bedrooms and 2 baths on the second floor, then everything else except the underground pool was on the first. So when entertaining guests between the sitting dining bar and music rooms, you'd have to move through areas that should really be more private.

And 2/3 baths weren't useable. As much as I wished and wished they would ignore them, sims would get mad about not being able to go through the arches. It might have been possible to drop the bath back a half a space if I had more space in those bathrooms though. I had a couple hero bathroom photos to work from though, and I really just wanted the look.

Anywhen, thanks for the feedback Faith and congrats to all the winners!

Also

I also had seriously a lot of trouble with ceilings -- my problems started with the basement ceiling though, not the second floor, and I know this because before I went through to do ceiling tiles on the floors above ground, I placed some fairly gaudy yellow tiles on the ceiling of the basement. They randomly showed up on the first and second floor, and yet I had holes in my basement ceiling. I think it's that they get displaced because of something to do with levels. Not exactly sure what, but that's what I've deduced so far.

The other huge problem I've had with this build and in past builds is phantom ceiling tiles appearing. You don't see them if unless you're at a certain angle below and they hover off side, generally one or two tiles off the build, but I've found them above and off the side of just foundation before. It's easy enough to just delete them as you find them, but once you know that it's happening, it's a massive pain in the behind to have to check the entire lot, from top to bottom from an angle below each level, you know? I used to think that it was caused by the constrainfloorelevation cheat. I'm not sure exactly, but I do know I didn't use CFE during this build, and still ended up having phantom roof tiles over the garden area, so now I suspect it's something to do with either roofing being on different levels or basements.

Anywhat, I really hope I have the time to enter this next one. I've only had a brief look at the brief but it looks like a spooky castle type of theme and I seem to be in a very gothic mood of late. :P
  • Options
    JasonmlohJasonmloh Posts: 54 New Member
    edited October 2013
    Thank you Anniepks for the feedback. Congratulations to all.
  • Options
    suepeasuepea Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited October 2013
    O poor Supea,
    ArikaB wrote:
    Suepea, I hope you feel better soon. Too bad you can't go to the hospital, take a $200 flu/allergy shot, and be immediately better like Sims can.

Thanks for the well wishes! Lucky for me, my daughter woke up feeling fine the next morning. I'm on the mend as well but not quite as fast. Well, feeling poorly is my new excuse for spending too much time on the forums and planning my next build ;-)
    And 2/3 baths weren't useable. As much as I wished and wished they would ignore them, sims would get mad about not being able to go through the arches. It might have been possible to drop the bath back a half a space if I had more space in those bathrooms though. I had a couple hero bathroom photos to work from though, and I really just wanted the look.

saint_gambi -- if you want to place objects like stoves and bathtubs in arches, try holding the option key and slowly moving the object forward. You won't be able to set the bath tub directly into the space that's created by the walls and the arch because the Sims will see the arch before the bath tub and it will seem blocked to them. So the bath tub needs to appear to be in front of the arch and that will take fiddling. Adding columns on either side of the tub and possibly something (a shelf or table?) behind to fill in the empty space that is created behind the tub after you move it forward will make the little tub alcove look more finished off. But you have to keep testing the placement of the object to make sure it's usable. Did you take the MOO course that TarynTempestwind offered on ZOOU? There were a bunch of us and I can't keep track of who was following along.

Congrats to all who participated and won in the Intermediate category!
    h2xmsbl]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top