Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• Options
    RachelShennanRachelShennan Posts: 163 Member
    edited February 2014
    :lol: OMG I'm doing it!! I'm building a victorian!! Almost trashed my build but after watching the tutorials by ruthlessKK I realized I could do this! And I'm so glad I didn't trash cuz it's turning out awesome!! I couldn't resist the urge to "Barbie it up" so I may make 2 versions of the outside paint to show it more in a neutral color scheme but still want it judged on both color palates is that ok?

They may as you to only pick one colour scheme to judge as you're only allowed one entry and it may be unfair on other entrants. So just pick the one you like best is my advice.
  • Options
    redkitty42redkitty42 Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2014
    Congrats to MimilovesPJO for 1st place in Nature's Child. I didn't realize how many entries there were. Thank you ISHTARJMD for the feedback. I am learning so much from these challenges. I never thought I could make sim houses look like real life homes! LOL

My problem is though is I get emotionally attached to the Sims I have been making for the challenges and can't stop playing with them. I'm still dealing with the triplets the Johnsons accidentally had instead of twins. And Victor and Venus are enjoying college life but need to hurry to make enough $$ to move into their new Victorian Home! Plus it didn't help that the games are on sale and I have finally got ITF and working on exploring Oasis Landing!

Sorry so talkative today :oops:
  • Options
    iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited February 2014
    Congrats to the Beginner winners!! Everyone did such a great job!

"3rd Place goes to…Redkitty42!

2nd Place goes to…DesiiAnowor!

1st Place goes to…MimilovesPJO!

Optional Challenge winner is…DesiiAnowor!"

For all those that did not win this time, keep trying and you will see your name as a winner , too!
  • Options
    redkitty42redkitty42 Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2014
    Sorry :oops: and ArikaB for winning 1st in the advanced Nature's Child, loved your waterfall! Amazing!
    linzlulubell: OMG I'm doing it!! I'm building a victorian!!...but after watching the tutorials by ruthlessKK I realized I could do this!

I feel the same way! I know it wouldn't be fair for two entries but please still post a link to pics for both so we can see your finished results :-). I love seeing all the pictures from all the builds.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Congrats to all the Advanced winners!

"3rd Place: Federico

2nd Place: ISHTARJMD

1st Place: ArikaB"

Awesome builds!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    lol I thought I had already posted that... :oops:
  • Options
    saint_gambisaint_gambi Posts: 286 Member
    edited February 2014
    EleneK wrote:
    Hi, I'm new (sort of) I've been playing Sims a long time, but haven't paid any attention to the online stuff until recently. I'm interested in participating in the challenge. I'm mostly finished with the house, just can't stop making minor changes...

I dont know what level to submit my stuff. I think I might be borderline between intermediate and advanced. I know and use several cheats, but don't know if my work is good enough for the advanced competition.

Do we have to submit advanced if we use cheats, such as constrainElevation? I've never competed before and don't know what to do...

I'm going to respond because I am one of those entrants who stares at each entry I make debating whether to enter Intermediate or Advanced. My houses are decent but I still have weaknesses. Which is why I have placed several times as an intermediate, but have only won once.

My strengths are my stair-ing ability and my roofing. I am comfortable with my CFE and Moo cheats when it comes to a building. I'm not as creative as the advanced players. My B&S buildings tend to be a bit more along the line of "Keep it Simple Stupid." My landscaping abilities are a little rudimentary. I've actually managed a waterfall once by accident. My bridge-ing is unattractive. I've learned a lot of cost saving techniques entering these challenges but I still find myself wondering how the advanced entrants do all that with the same amount of money.

I quickly learned what the judge expected and often adjusted the design to avoid what I knew I would get knocked for. Even then I never got asked to advance up a level by a judge. My recommendation is to look at some of the advanced builds. If they intimidate you, go intermediate. If the judges disagree they'll let you know.

After saying this, if I finish the Victorian on time, it will be an advanced entry. There are no advanced building techniques but I do too many historic houses and I walked into this challenge with the house and gardens already researched.

I would like to say that most of the CC I had in my game had a $0 cost in game. In fact I was surprised to even find out on here that other ppl's CC has a cost attached to it. It's on a borderline of unfairness in my opinion. I quit using ALL CC because of the endless amount of trouble it caused in game and uploading, so because my computer functioning properly is important to me I can't deck my house to the hilt using "free" CC items like some of the competition. It seems unfair but at the same time lets me show my flexibility by making the items EA gives us work without all the CC. To whoever is having extra houses attach to their lot you need to get the custard file checker/fixer thing. I see this problem a lot and it spreads to innocent ppl who don't want it either.
    Yeah it's not fair. I think the competition runners actually changed a rule recently about CC items costing roughly the same as the EA equivalents. Some CC items are unusual or unique which makes it difficult to judge(like, in one build I did I remember placing Oreo cookies as like little flower beds,) but creators are left to their best judgement. Anyway, I think using CC objects should be encouraged, because it's one aspect of the game that encourages creativity and skills, but officially, like with the steam workshop. That said, I think TS3's servers are overtaxed already, but maybe we'll get something like that with TS4. (I also think it's incredibly unfair that the exchange accepts Sims with CC but not builds, but that's a different discussion.)
    :lol: OMG I'm doing it!! I'm building a victorian!! Almost trashed my build but after watching the tutorials by ruthlessKK I realized I could do this! And I'm so glad I didn't trash cuz it's turning out awesome!! I couldn't resist the urge to "Barbie it up" so I may make 2 versions of the outside paint to show it more in a neutral color scheme but still want it judged on both color palates is that ok?
    It's a great feeling isn't it? :D I wanna see the barbie version :lol: but yeah, as I think Rachel said, you can really only enter one. I was the same way. I built mine in queen anne style, then fell in love with some of the second empire style homes I was finding in my searches, so I decided to just make another one, purely for fun. :)

ALSO! Congrats to Redkitty42, DesiiAnowor and MimilovesPJO! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    ArikaBArikaB Posts: 259 Member
    edited February 2014
    redkitty42 wrote:
    Sorry :oops: and ArikaB for winning 1st in the advanced Nature's Child, loved your waterfall! Amazing!

Thanks, Redkitty! I was pretty excited about that particular build. :) Congrats on your win and congrats to DesiiAnowor and MimilovesPJO! Love all of the creativity in this group and the wonderful sense of community here. You guys are all amazing! :thumbup:
  • Options
    LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited February 2014
    Congratulations MinilovesPJO, DesiiAnowor and Redkitty42 on getting 1, 2 and 3 :)
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Oh and I just wanted to let you all know that I'm working on the intermediate results! don't worry, but the feedback part is killing me :) It's taking me a bit longer than I had expected. But I appreciate that you are all very patient and understanding.

And linzlulubell, about your 2 colour variations. Rachel is right ;) please choose 1 to officially enter, but that doesn't mean we don't like to see the other one as well ;) Maybe post a picture of how the other colour looks as well ;) but pick 1 to be actually judged ;)

I'm glad everyone is so enthusiastic about building the Victorian! Can't wait to see more entries!

• Options
    Suzieqz420Suzieqz420 Posts: 51 New Member
    edited February 2014
    Going to give it a try. First timer! :shock: :D
  • Options
    oXseashellXooXseashellXo Posts: 678 Member
    edited February 2014
    Thanks everybody for the advice! It's helpful to know that if I enter the wrong one, I won't get into trouble...

My strengths are my creativity and making basic things kind of unique. My biggest weakness is my roofing skills. I make these floor plans that just aren't condusive to a workable roof. I get so frustrated!

I've tried looking at the previous competition, but nature's child is soooo different from a traditional victorian. I think I'm leaning towards intermediate, but I'm going to wait a few days before submitting and look at the other entries.
  • Options
    saint_gambisaint_gambi Posts: 286 Member
    edited February 2014
    My strengths are my creativity and making basic things kind of unique. My biggest weakness is my roofing skills. I make these floor plans that just aren't condusive to a workable roof. I get so frustrated!
    Someone may have already beat me to it by the time I post this, but I find myself constantly referencing ruthless_kk's roofing tutorial for Zoo U. She walks you through the different roof types, how to properly utilize them and where they're most appropriate.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/45/527220.page#8368990
    Lesson 2 is specific to Victorian roofs.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/105/527220.page#8432633
    It all seems very intimidating but once you know the techniques you'll be fine. :-)
  • Options
    dducknbelledducknbelle Posts: 126 Member
    edited February 2014
    DDUCKNBELLE

Link to lot:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8014192

Link to media:
    http://s1038.photobucket.com/user/dducknbelle77/library/Build and Share?sort=3&page=1

http://s1038.photobucket.com/user/dducknbelle77/slideshow/Build and Share?sort=3

YAY IT WORKED!! THE ABOVE LINK IS TO MY PHOTOS, CHOSE PHOTOBUCKET..Um stuff is not in order though.. lol have not figured that out yet.. Thanks for all the help.. Hope people can see my entry now..

If anyone can help me with the media part, I don't know how to take pictures without using the sims in-game camera, so all my shots are in the sims profile media.. I took lots of them this time..I combined them all in a story this time so I hope this helps my entry.

Level: Beginner

Lot, Size, Cost
    50x50 lot
    Hidden Springs

This is so far my favorite house I have built. I stayed under budget because I tend to spend to much, my sims want for nothing. I tried new angles and colors. I used a plan I found online and modified it. Hope you enjoy it.

Optional challenge: I created the three characters, and a story to go with it.
    here is the media story:
    http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=461242
    The household:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8014194

Criticism: Sure, positive please.

Thanks for having such fun challenges, I love the background stories and the differences in each one, I am having a blast even without winning anything! I am making myself build more too which I have not done..So thanks for that too.

xo Jess
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. ~John Burroughs~
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    DDUCKNBELLE

Link to media:
    http://lvlt.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/397/719/016/00/screenshot_original.jpg
    http://www.thesims3.com/mediamanager.html?

If anyone can help me with the media part, I don't know how to take pictures without using the sims in-game camera, so all my shots are in the sims profile media.. I took lots of them this time..I combined them all in a story this time so I hope this helps my entry.

Hi Jess,

The way you have posted the media link right now it's just 1 picture.

You can just make pictures in live mode (this is best because you won't get those grid lines that are very distracting). If you don't plan on having a family live there, just place a temporary one, anyone will do, and remove them after taking pictures.
    When you are in live mode, just pres "Tab" and you will go in cameramode.
    You can rotate with your mouse, zoom in and out with scrolling or "z" and "x".
    go up and down with "q" and "e" and move around with "w", "a", "s", "d".
    Play around with it to get a feel of it.
    Pictures on sim-eye level are often the best, (not always). And of course don't forget an overview from above for us to see how the lot is divided, and the layout of the house.
    After you have gotten your pictures, you can find them in: Documents -> Electronic Arts -> Sims 3 -> Screenshots.
    Upload the ones you want in a logical order to a photosharing site and place the link of that album here :)

For more/better/other tips, don't forget to check out the first page of this thread.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Stupid forum error making me double post :(

• Options
    _Princess_Natasha__Princess_Natasha_ Posts: 626 Member
    edited February 2014
    redkitty42 - Your Victorian is really pretty. I can't wait to see it finished!

RachelShennan - Beautiful architecture and exterior paint; I love the mint green accent. I would like to see more eye level pictures; they show off your beautiful build better than overhead pictures. I like your color and pattern choices. Your furniture is nicely placed. I would have liked to see a little more wall art. It's a very lovely build with lots of charm. The landscape it pretty.

VannaRed - Your build is gorgeous! I love the landscape! It is perfect for a Victorian! The green house is a nice addition. Try to take pictures in game/play mode only. I don't want to see that terrain paint circle in pics. Your living room is pretty but I would have liked to see a shelf or plant behind the sofa next to the stairs; it looks lonely there. Kitchen is beautiful! Such a lovely build!

gmcrozier - Your architecture is pretty and I really love the trees! I love that your pictures are labeled; it makes judging easier. I really like the office. It has a nice layout. However, I would have liked to see you CAS the rug a little to match the room more. I like the boy's room and the nursery (very pretty yellow in there). I would have liked to see more terrain paint in your landscape, however it is pretty and suits your build nicely. Such a lovely build!

LORILYE - Your sneak peak is lovely. I love the color of your Victorian. The architecture is pretty too! I can't wait to see it finished!

I'm sorry if I missed anyone! I think I got all of them that are up and able rec'd! :) I love all the creativity in this thread! Great builds everyone!
  • Options
    2troublesome2troublesome Posts: 118 New Member
    edited February 2014
    I know literally nothing about Victorian style accept that its big. I think? with columns maybe? so I'm sitting this one out.

I'm thinking of doing a project just for fun where I pick a theme or a pattern and color and then do it to all the furniture I have in the game (or nearly all of it) and uploading it. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Jounin138Jounin138 Posts: 28 Member
    edited February 2014
    I need more money!!!!!!!!!! I'm currently at 225,000 and I still have to do the master bed and bath and landscaping. I'm in trouble. :( Does anyone know how to make my roofs work? One of my roofs won't show properly if I put another roof one story up right over it. Thought knocking out a story out of my tower isn't going to help me that much with the money. Can I take out another 50,000 :D
  • Options
    EleneKEleneK Posts: 142 Member
    edited February 2014
    I'm right there with you. I have to finish the Master, the guest room, and the TV room. Do the third bedroom and the landscaping,and I'm at 215.
  • Options
    cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    edited February 2014
    :x :x :x I almost had the Master bed n' bath done when my game crashed so I think I have to re-do the bathroom along with Vic's study, luckily I saved the game when I finished the master bedroom...and I think I may have to re-do an area I did for Venus :x :x :x...Just when you think your almost done something!!! :evil:

@Jounin138 & EleneK: I'm only at 140 thousand something but I think I'll be encountering that problem soon because I still have to do Jarvis room and the spare room along with the bathrooms, and I haven't even started on the outside so I can't wait to see how much I'll have left for that.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I still have 4 dressing rooms, 4 bathrooms, a master bedroom and a guest bedroom, a few hallways, a nursery, and another parlor or play room plus do my landscaping--with less than $25,000 to go. I completely understand the need for more money! This is going to be sooo very tough! I could use another $100,000. :lol:

Too bad Motherlode does not work on this forum *hits ctrl+shift+C*
  • Options
    JasonmlohJasonmloh Posts: 54 New Member
    edited February 2014
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM [Venus233-235]

NAME: Jasonmloh

LINK TO LOT: None

LINK TO MEDIA: http://s825.photobucket.com/user/jason_m_loh/library/Venus?sort=9&page=1

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: Same as link to media at the end after the floor plans

LEVEL: Intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: Size 60X60, 339 Hill Street Starlight Shores, $255,000.

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: A lot of grass and trees with a pond at the back of the house (Venusian Rhapsody)

The following info for optional challenge:

Pictures of them in their new home

Victor has the Ambitious, Hopeless Romantic, Bookworm, Handy and Natural Born Performer traits. He is wearing a green shirt and blue jeans

Venus has the Family Oriented, Friendly, Bookworm, Handy and Natural Born Performer traits. Her clothing and shoes from TSR

Jarvis has the Perfectionist, Neat, Handy, Bookworm and Computer Whiz traits. He is wearing a white and black suit

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: Queen Anne Door(Mutske), Table Lamp(Wondymoon), Flowers(Angela 2010), Vase(Sim_man123), Painting(Samusa06), Jars(Mutske), Herbs (TSR), Sara(TSR), Painting(PralineSims), Kiwi(Pyszny2013), Painting(PralineSims), Tulips(AnoeskaB), Rug(TSR), Towels(TSR), Enigma(Severinka), Planta(TSR), Natura2(PralineSims), Plate Décor(Severinka), Tulips(Roan), Vase(Falko), Pattern(TSR), Painting(Quazur), Plant(Sim_man123), Niobium(Wondymoon), Enigma Photo(Severinka), Curtain and Bed Pattern(TSR), Zebra Décor(Severinka)
  • Options
    _Princess_Natasha__Princess_Natasha_ Posts: 626 Member
    edited February 2014
    Jasonmloh - Your architecture is gorgeous. I really like the landscape. I love the pond; I like how you put the statue in the middle of it. Your interiors are pretty. I like the kitchen a lot altho I would have liked to see some stone, brick or tile behind the stove and counters. I like the neutral and natural colors you went with inside. The office is really nice; it has a good layout. In the bedroom with the double beds, I would have liked to see the curtains and bedding CAS'd differently. Overall it's a really lovely build with lots of charm and curb appeal! Great work!
  • Options
    Jounin138Jounin138 Posts: 28 Member
    edited February 2014
    I decided to not enter the Venus Challenge. I may do the optional part. I just don't want to hurt my build by not being able to decorate or have to take out rooms just to make the budget work. I will say I think this is my best build yet :D Good Luck to everyone

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top