Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• Options
    suepeasuepea Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited February 2014
    I really hope this doesn't come off as rude, (I'm like a Sim with the Socially Awkward trait) but I think you really need to use Create a Pattern on your furniture. I think the house is really lovely and the placing but using CAP on the furniture would improve the house HUGELY.

I am sure that using lots of CAP can make a big design difference but it's a bit of a PITA when it comes to sharing on the Exchange (at least that's been my experience.)
    h2xmsbl]
  • Options
    iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited February 2014
    LORILYE wrote:
    Here is a sneak peak at my Venus Mansion which is done but I am not ready to submit it yet because I am still working on the story progression of the characters. I started Victor and Venus as teenagers. By the time I am done they will grow up, get married and move into the mansion. It cost me 254.888 to build so far.
    http://s1057.photobucket.com/user/rubyinightingale/slideshow/Sneak Peak Venus

The teen years of Venus and Victor so far. http://s1057.photobucket.com/user/rubyinightingale/slideshow/Teen years of Venus and Victor

I tried to upload the mansion and even though the only cc it has is patterns it would not upload. Hopefully by the time the family is ready to put in it and I am ready to submit it that problem will be resolved.

Very beautiful and ornate! I can't wait to see the finished house and the kids all grown up!

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Since we are sharing...

This is a link to the shell of my house:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8003890

The house would not upload even partially furnished(maybe I CAP too much?), so I uploaded the shell with most of the landscaping. The original windows were store bought, but they changed to regular windows when I set the house on an empty lot to upload. You get the idea, though. :D

I was following some real Victorian floor plans I got off the web:
    scan0001_zps4a4370fa.jpg

I did make some minor changes on the first floor and major changes on the second floor. The plans show stairs up to a third floor so I added one, and I added a tower as well. Due to the landscaping and waterfall, I did not have enough room to do the terraces. This is my first-ever Victorian, and I am extremely please with how it is turning out!

• Options
    VannaRedVannaRed Posts: 167 Member
    edited February 2014
    iampes23 wrote:
    Since we are sharing...

Nice. I'm gonna totally use your floor plan to play in. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    VannaRed wrote:
    iampes23 wrote:
    Since we are sharing...

Would you mind if I used this floor plan for my own personal use?, I won't re-upload it.

Sure--go ahead. And thanks for not reuploading it to the website.
  • Options
    saint_gambisaint_gambi Posts: 286 Member
    edited February 2014
    suepea wrote:
    I really hope this doesn't come off as rude, (I'm like a Sim with the Socially Awkward trait) but I think you really need to use Create a Pattern on your furniture. I think the house is really lovely and the placing but using CAP on the furniture would improve the house HUGELY.

I am sure that using lots of CAP can make a big design difference but it's a bit of a PITA when it comes to sharing on the Exchange (at least that's been my experience.)
    I'm not the only one then? I always thought that was extremely strange at least in my case where it's usually been uploaded to the site before, you know?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Uggggggg! All my store-bought Gothic items are no longer showing in the game--time to uninstall/reinstall-again. :( Good thing my shell uploaded.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Yay! 8 or 9 hours later and ready to try again! :D
  • Options
    oXseashellXooXseashellXo Posts: 678 Member
    edited February 2014
    Hi, I'm new (sort of) I've been playing Sims a long time, but haven't paid any attention to the online stuff until recently. I'm interested in participating in the challenge. I'm mostly finished with the house, just can't stop making minor changes...

I dont know what level to submit my stuff. I think I might be borderline between intermediate and advanced. I know and use several cheats, but don't know if my work is good enough for the advanced competition.

Do we have to submit advanced if we use cheats, such as constrainElevation? I've never competed before and don't know what to do...
  • Options
    oXseashellXooXseashellXo Posts: 678 Member
    edited February 2014
    Hi, I'm new (sort of) I've been playing Sims a long time, but haven't paid any attention to the online stuff until recently. I'm interested in participating in the challenge. I'm mostly finished with the house, just can't stop making minor changes...

I dont know what level to submit my stuff. I think I might be borderline between intermediate and advanced. I know and use several cheats, but don't know if my work is good enough for the advanced competition.

Do we have to submit advanced if we use cheats, such as constrainElevation? I've never competed before and don't know what to do...
  • Options
    LORILYELORILYE Posts: 48 New Member
    edited February 2014
    iampes23 wrote:

Very beautiful and ornate! I can't wait to see the finished house and the kids all grown up!

Thank you! I had to do some changes to it because it won't upload. I checked for custom content but the only CC I have are the patterns.
  • Options
    LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited February 2014

Welcome! Glad you want to join! :)
    You can choose for yourself where you want to enter, if you feel more comfortable in intermediate, go for it, if you feel like you should be in advanced, go for that ;)
    But knowing cheats does not automatically place you in advanced ;) It's completely up to you
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    :cry: I keep getting the error message saying my updates need to be the latest version to install my shell house. They are the latest version, so it looks like I have to start over from scratch. I even tried to manually update and replace the current one, but nothing worked. Even when it looks as if it installed, I cannot find it in the game. Is anyone else having these problems?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    No matter how much I troubleshoot I cannot upload my Mansion. I think I will start from scratch again. This happened when I built my theme park. I built 3 before I made one that would upload without issues.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Honestly, I think there are tons of issues since they did the last patch. My items were missing, I cannot install my house, and when I tried to do a basement with the basement tool, it said I could not do it with a foundation--and I am not using a foundation! lol I think they need a patch to correct the patch! ;)
  • Options
    RachelShennanRachelShennan Posts: 163 Member
    edited February 2014

If you're unsure you can always wait and see what other interediate and advanced entrants enter then compare your skills to theirs. I usually go intermediate cause I know the basic cheats such as testingcheatsenabled but I dont really know more advanced ones and how to use them. It's all up to what you think, also, the judges will tell you if they think you should be in advanced etc if you enter intermediate.

In previous challenges some people have entered intermediate when they should be advanced which can make it unfair on the other entrants. Well, that's what I've found anyway.

Also, it might be worth looking at previous advanced entries to previous challenges to see what their skill level is.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I am still not ready to submit my mansion yet but I did get it uploaded. I had to delete all wallpapers made from custom patterns. now the only patterns i seem to be able to use now are the game generated ones recolored. It took me several days to finally be able to upload it to my studio. http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/LORILYE/mystudio I still have not moved the family into it because I am still playing them in separate households.
  • Options
    redkitty42redkitty42 Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2014
    Hi everyone! Thought I would stop by and leave a message. I have been checking out all the amazing builds that everyone has been uploading and all I can say is WoW! So many talented people involved, I am just in awe of it all. I finally finished the house and I'm onto the landscaping.

I just wanted to share some links to some google finds I came across. The first one has some history on Victorian Era (which I'm sure you all have already researched but still interesting) and the second has some landscape ideas for many different types of landscaping which might be useful for upcoming builds as well.

http://www.valegardenhouses.co.uk/period-conservatories.html &
    http://www.landscapingnetwork.com/garden-styles/design-sheets.html

Enjoying the challenge this time around it has been a learning experience for me, Thank you to the Build n Share team your are amazing!!

Here's a sneek peek at my build so far...
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/116037345868191629221/photos/116037345868191629221/albums/5978463468402257393/5978463469487111650?pid=5978463469487111650&oid=116037345868191629221
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    redkitty42 wrote:
    Enjoying the challenge this time around it has been a learning experience for me, Thank you to the Build n Share team your are amazing!!

Here's a sneek peek at my build so far...
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/116037345868191629221/photos/116037345868191629221/albums/5978463468402257393/5978463469487111650?pid=5978463469487111650&oid=116037345868191629221

Very beautiful! I can't wait to see the inside of yours, too! It is amazing how much talent is in this one thread. Keep up the awesome work everyone :D
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Crin told me there are still weird issues with my mansion so I am deleting it from my studio until he and I resolve the glitches. At first an extra lot was attached to it. Then a pattern of mine worked it's way into my wallpaper. It was my pattern of a painting I did of a fairy and dragon. When he tells me it is clear of oddities i will upload the house with its new family. So the link to my studio will not lead to my house at this point. I will submit it and the photos when Crin gives me the all clear.
  • Options
    EleneKEleneK Posts: 142 Member
    edited February 2014

I'm going to respond because I am one of those entrants who stares at each entry I make debating whether to enter Intermediate or Advanced. My houses are decent but I still have weaknesses. Which is why I have placed several times as an intermediate, but have only won once.

My strengths are my stair-ing ability and my roofing. I am comfortable with my CFE and Moo cheats when it comes to a building. I'm not as creative as the advanced players. My B&S buildings tend to be a bit more along the line of "Keep it Simple Stupid." My landscaping abilities are a little rudimentary. I've actually managed a waterfall once by accident. My bridge-ing is unattractive. I've learned a lot of cost saving techniques entering these challenges but I still find myself wondering how the advanced entrants do all that with the same amount of money.

I quickly learned what the judge expected and often adjusted the design to avoid what I knew I would get knocked for. Even then I never got asked to advance up a level by a judge. My recommendation is to look at some of the advanced builds. If they intimidate you, go intermediate. If the judges disagree they'll let you know.

After saying this, if I finish the Victorian on time, it will be an advanced entry. There are no advanced building techniques but I do too many historic houses and I walked into this challenge with the house and gardens already researched.
  • Options
    ISHTARJMDISHTARJMD Posts: 260 Member
    edited February 2014
    EleneK wrote:
    Even then I never got asked to advance up a level by a judge.

After saying this, if I finish the Victorian on time, it will be an advanced entry. There are no advanced building techniques but I do too many historic houses and I walked into this challenge with the house and gardens already researched.

Elene, you do beautiful builds. Dont take it hard if we the judges dont ask you to level up. Except in very rare situtations, you wont hear me suggest that to anyone for the simple reason that I dont like putting pressure on people. It scared me to death when it was suggested I move up. I was new enough to BNS that I did as suggested by a judge before I was probably ready for it. If you feel you're good enough to move up, please do. But do it at your pace and your comfort level.

We look forward to seeing your Victorian in advanced.
  • Options
    linzlulubelllinzlulubell Posts: 93 Member
    edited February 2014
    EleneK wrote:

I'm going to respond because I am one of those entrants who stares at each entry I make debating whether to enter Intermediate or Advanced. My houses are decent but I still have weaknesses. Which is why I have placed several times as an intermediate, but have only won once.

My strengths are my stair-ing ability and my roofing. I am comfortable with my CFE and Moo cheats when it comes to a building. I'm not as creative as the advanced players. My B&S buildings tend to be a bit more along the line of "Keep it Simple Stupid." My landscaping abilities are a little rudimentary. I've actually managed a waterfall once by accident. My bridge-ing is unattractive. I've learned a lot of cost saving techniques entering these challenges but I still find myself wondering how the advanced entrants do all that with the same amount of money.

I quickly learned what the judge expected and often adjusted the design to avoid what I knew I would get knocked for. Even then I never got asked to advance up a level by a judge. My recommendation is to look at some of the advanced builds. If they intimidate you, go intermediate. If the judges disagree they'll let you know.

I would like to say that most of the CC I had in my game had a $0 cost in game. In fact I was surprised to even find out on here that other ppl's CC has a cost attached to it. It's on a borderline of unfairness in my opinion. I quit using ALL CC because of the endless amount of trouble it caused in game and uploading, so because my computer functioning properly is important to me I can't deck my house to the hilt using "free" CC items like some of the competition. It seems unfair but at the same time lets me show my flexibility by making the items EA gives us work without all the CC. To whoever is having extra houses attach to their lot you need to get the custard file checker/fixer thing. I see this problem a lot and it spreads to innocent ppl who don't want it either.
  • Options
    ISHTARJMDISHTARJMD Posts: 260 Member
    edited February 2014
    The Beginners Results for Nature's Child are up!
  • Options
    linzlulubelllinzlulubell Posts: 93 Member
    edited February 2014
    :lol: OMG I'm doing it!! I'm building a victorian!! Almost trashed my build but after watching the tutorials by ruthlessKK I realized I could do this! And I'm so glad I didn't trash cuz it's turning out awesome!! I couldn't resist the urge to "Barbie it up" so I may make 2 versions of the outside paint to show it more in a neutral color scheme but still want it judged on both color palates is that ok?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top