Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why generations isn't necessary

Comments

• Options
    Kadaj316Kadaj316 Posts: 383 Member
    edited May 2011
    Oh for God's sake if you seriously reckon you can get people to boycott this expansion you're foolish.

If you don't want it don't buy it, but do not call those of us who are actually looking forward to it stupid because we're "letting EA get away with murder".
    I have an imagination and a use for everything in this expansion. I'll buy it because I want it and I'm sure a hell of a lot of other people will too.
  • Options
    Jdrizzle91Jdrizzle91 Posts: 323 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Kadaj316 wrote:
    Oh for God's sake if you seriously reckon you can get people to boycott this expansion you're foolish.

If you don't want it don't buy it, but do not call those of us who are actually looking forward to it stupid because we're "letting EA get away with murder".
    I have an imagination and a use for everything in this expansion. I'll buy it because I want it and I'm sure a hell of a lot of other people will too.

It appears I have ruffled your feathers a bit, and for this I am sorry.

I see my thread has been a hit in the simming community. I am very pleased.

@Ihatepizza210 I absolutely loved your post. I see where you are coming from completely.

@Tilatequilaism- "so much potential, and let me down." -agreed.

windweaver wrote:
    JDrizzle;

you are missing the whole point of this ep. It is all about the sims themselves, not the stuff.

You aren't perhaps an EA employer in disguise are you?
    It seems you've repeated word for word the most common response that EA employers gave on the EP in interviews.

Other common responses.

"What is the new neighborhood like?"
    response:"This ep isn't about neighborhoods, its about strollers."

"What are the new skills that each sim can develop in this game? Will things like car restoration introduce new ways to improve skills we already have like the handiness skills?"
    response: "we have THREE new tree houses for children, each with unique interactions involved! Granted, you won't see the sims perform the interactions because it's a rabbit hole, but we also added a slip n slide! If that isn't enough to appease you greedy simmers then Idk what will."

• Options
    Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    edited May 2011
    Jdrizzle91 wrote:

"What are the new skills that each sim can develop in this game? Will things like car restoration introduce new ways to improve skills we already have like the handiness skills?"
    response: "we have THREE new tree houses for children, each with unique interactions involved! Granted, you won't see the sims perform the interactions because it's a rabbit hole, but we also added a slip n slide! If that isn't enough to appease you greedy simmers then Idk what will."

Wow, was that from an interview I missed somewhere? ;)
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Options
    JohanFoppaJohanFoppa Posts: 1,084 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Glic2003 wrote:
    Jdrizzle91 wrote:

Most interviews are bull crap, and so are most trailers as well.

http://youtu.be/zhNDRzvI5kA look at 0:10, firefighting isn't ANYTHING like that. It's so staged that it should be illegal really
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Glic2003 wrote:
    Jdrizzle91 wrote:

Ok, that might not be a DIRECT quote from the interviewee, I just did a little paraphrasing :wink:

@JohanFoppa

That video was not made for my country apparently.. so I can't watch it.

I'm assuming the firefighter broke down the door, grabbed the toddler out of her crib, and jumped through a window with her with flames just behind him, and people were awaiting outside and handed him medals for his bravery?

There was a photo for late night of aliens on the set of a movie too.. I haven't had my sims dress as aliens for any movie scene yet!

• Options
    Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    edited May 2011
    Jdrizzle91 wrote:
    @JohanFoppa

I'm assuming the firefighter broke down the door, grabbed the toddler out of her crib, and jumped through a window with her with flames just behind him, and people were awaiting outside and handed him medals for his bravery?

There was a photo for late night of aliens on the set of a movie too.. I haven't had my sims dress as aliens for any movie scene yet!

The trailer shows your firefighting co-workers actually doing stuff. :)

They're really shooting themselves in the foot with those trailers. Now, instead of getting excited, players have to ask themselves, "Okay...now I just have to figure out which parts of the trailer are real."
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ^ Haha I know!! I noticed that, even the people that buy every EP and kiss the ground EA walks on make comments like "don't get your hopes up, this probably isn't real", or "I'm guessing this will end up as a rabbit hole guys."

Some people saw the stroller and were worried that it wouldn't be useable.

That is how bad EA's false advertising has gotten.

However, this isn't an exclusively sims 3 related issue, they did false advertising in the sims 2 as well.

Idk false advertising is just kind of offensive to me.

Why post a picture of a girl on the BACK COVER of the late night game standing with a group of band member guys if they weren't going to add an option to be a singer in a band?

EA knows what they are doing when they do things like this, we give them all this money of ours and they try to fool us all the time. It makes me very angry.
  • Options
    Kail16Kail16 Posts: 3,051 Member
    edited May 2011
    Arletta wrote:
    Kail16 wrote:
    Arletta wrote:
    Kail16 wrote:
    mlaass wrote:
    Kail16 wrote:
    Jdrizzle91 wrote:
    so you agree? Ok perfect we need all the boycotters we can get.

Boycotting? You know that is a technique that has been used to launch many revolutions and social changes throughout history. It's a tad pathetic that you think you need to gather a force of people to boycott a video game. There are more important causes out there in my opinion.

Ya seriously. Its not going to make EA cancel Generations and make a different EP. Why doesn't everyone take all those "forces" and convince EA to make an EP with things they want instead of "boycotting" something that already happening and not gonna change cause its too late!

Exactly, take that passion and work towards gaining something.

Toward gaining what, exactly?

I'm saying, why waste you're energy trying to get of a game that already exists, that people are going to buy anyway, when you can use that same passion towards driving the ideas for the next EP? Voice your opinions on what you want in an EP, instead of what you don't want in one that's finished already, then maybe you can have a product in the future that is more to your liking.

I would point out that at this point, the only thing I'd like is weather, which will eventually be released. It's also taken 10 years for ppl to get the pushchairs that they're excited about. Maybe I'll understand the fascination of that one day.

Ehh.. Strollers are cute I suppose, I'm glad for them. As for the future, I want weather too and I'm surprised it's taking so long actually,I just hope it's not being saved as the last EP or something messed up like that.
  • Options
    JohanFoppaJohanFoppa Posts: 1,084 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Jdrizzle91 wrote:

http://www.novamov.com/video/fv10nx7qkeysm

In that video the walls are on fire, the sim runs with the toddler (might be a bug in my game, but my sims sure don't run when they carry someone) and the firefighter also got glass over his face to prevent breathing in the smoke.

And as stated earlier: your workmates actually do something in that video. Sure, they appear to be standing outside mostly but seriously. Right now they don't even leave the station
  • Options
    Karu300Karu300 Posts: 437 Member
    edited May 2011
    False Advertisment = Lying, Lying= wrong and misleading, Misleading = Tricking People out of their money which = Stealing in some way, which = angry people if they feel ripped off which = skeptics we have now.

I will get the game if I can, if the little features expand on the base game or something for family related I'm ok I guess. The price not so much, though I do get games around 40 dollars+ anyway, though they may have more stuff, some games I could finish in matter of days or weeks while the Expansion Packs are constntly in my computer when I use it.

I didn't care that much about late night, clubs and celebrity status and things of that nature doesn't even interest me in real-life I think my main reason for getting late night was for Vampires.

If I can have fun with some sort of feature or theme I'm alright I guess but the price is kind of iffy it may be worth sims 2 EP prices. I don't really care about a new town either, as I tried some of the others except Bridgeport and Barnacle Bay didn't stick with it as I still like Sunset Valley.

I guess if it doesn't appeal to you then that's it, people have different ways they play the game and that's why there's different expansion packs to try and appeal to those certain people's playing styles (Late Night and people who like YA and going out on towns and Celebrities, Generations if they like more family aspecets, Ambitions if they like different types of jobs or whatever, and I guess World Adventures for well adventuring.) I do have all 3 current expansion packs, but there's some things I just happen to like out expansion packs, Like the Martial Arts Skill of WA, Simbots and Ghost and Fire Fighter Professions of AMB, Vampire of Late Night.
  • Options
    squirrel9955squirrel9955 Posts: 647
    edited May 2011
    I understand where your coming from here. Even though I'm super excited for this EP, I suppose I can also see your point. To me, this EP is really all of the stuff that should have been in the base game, but I'm still pretty pumped to get it now!

No, the imaginary friend might not be able to do a lot of things, but I think it's pretty adorable!
    Yeah, a lot of this stuff will get boring really fast, but for me that was the case for every expansion pack.

If it doesn't appeal to you, just don't buy it. Easy as that. I'm sure there will be plenty more expansions that you guys will like. Of course there are going to be people that don't like this expansion pack, but there are a lot of people that really are excited for it. They can't make all of the expansion packs at once!
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,903 Member
    edited May 2011
    I'm sorry, I read your post, but you haven't convinced me. I used to be "one of those" who had to have all things Sims (2, primarily). But I broke that habit by not purchasing the SP Outdoor Living. It just seemed to me, with the inclusion of two cool looking hot tubs in the EP LN, I didn't need to get more "stuff" I'd likely never use. It would just clutter up my game.

But so far from what I've read about Generations, not only will we get some new items, but additional interactions. A lot of such were left out of the Sims3 from Sims2, and I missed them. Also, the interactions that were left in Sims3 were greatly enhanced.

You may get along just fine without these added interactions --- and more power to you. But that's all I've been doing "getting by" making do, and just trying to be satisfied when this entire new game (platform) could be oh so much more than the Sims2 ever was. So, I wait and I hope that with each new EP this game will become superior to its predesessor. Or, at least it will become what it could become.

So, I agree to disagree with the OP. I believe Generations is necessary. It is for me, anyway.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I guess I just feel like EA has messed up with it's new EP ideas.

First it went with RPG's, then it went to watered down features for everyday life.

At this point I'd be happy for a complete ****** if a previous series ep even if it lacks no originality.

I don't like EA's "we'll give them HALF of what they want" mentality.

Idk I just don't think EA is very good at creating full circle ideas.

I'm not saying this EP is without any merit though. The new playground equipment was definitely nice. Idk, I just didn't get any must have content from this, but theres always other EP's.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited May 2011
    I'm sorry, I read your post, but you haven't convinced me. I used to be "one of those" who had to have all things Sims (2, primarily). But I broke that habit by not purchasing the SP Outdoor Living. It just seemed to me, with the inclusion of two cool looking hot tubs in the EP LN, I didn't need to get more "stuff" I'd likely never use. It would just clutter up my game.

But so far from what I've read about Generations, not only will we get some new items, but additional interactions. A lot of such were left out of the Sims3 from Sims2, and I missed them. Also, the interactions that were left in Sims3 were greatly enhanced.

You may get along just fine without these added interactions --- and more power to you. But that's all I've been doing "getting by" making do, and just trying to be satisfied when this entire new game (platform) could be oh so much more than the Sims2 ever was. So, I wait and I hope that with each new EP this game will become superior to its predesessor. Or, at least it will become what it could become.

So, I agree to disagree with the OP. I believe Generations is necessary. It is for me, anyway.

this :mrgreen::wink:
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    simfreak103simfreak103 Posts: 4,735 New Member
    edited May 2011
    :roll: Well, I understand that it is just adding to what we already have, but come on. Who doesn't want bachelor parties, sleepovers, proms, (even if they are rabbitholes; I heard they give you lots of info as it goes on) more awesome weddings, and house parties? Although, like everyone has said before, there isn't really an idea to it, you have to admit it sounds cool. I, myself, would love to see my teens pull pranks on other people. I am really excited for this EP. And please, stop complaining that it doesn't come with a new world! What would they put in it that is different? A playground, a...oh wait, nothing else. EA was using a little bit of logic there. It's not like this EP is a total waste. I read some reviews for people in London who got to try it for 4 hours and they found it to be awesome! So it might not have as much as the other EPs had. You have to admit this was a pretty good idea.
  • Options
    simfreak103simfreak103 Posts: 4,735 New Member
    edited May 2011
    I understand where your coming from here. Even though I'm super excited for this EP, I suppose I can also see your point. To me, this EP is really all of the stuff that should have been in the base game, but I'm still pretty pumped to get it now!

No, the imaginary friend might not be able to do a lot of things, but I think it's pretty adorable!
    Yeah, a lot of this stuff will get boring really fast, but for me that was the case for every expansion pack.

If it doesn't appeal to you, just don't buy it. Easy as that. I'm sure there will be plenty more expansions that you guys will like. Of course there are going to be people that don't like this expansion pack, but there are a lot of people that really are excited for it. They can't make all of the expansion packs at once!

I totally agree. Besides, the children in this game were probably the least fun (next to babies) but this EP totally changed that. And yeah, just don't buy it if you think it's lame!
  • Options
    squirrel9955squirrel9955 Posts: 647
    edited May 2011

I totally agree. Besides, the children in this game were probably the least fun (next to babies) but this EP totally changed that. And yeah, just don't buy it if you think it's lame!

Exactly! I think this expansion pack will make the childhood ages a lot more fun. I hear a lot of complaining about how boring the baby stage is, but really what do you expect them to actually do?
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Exactly! I think this expansion pack will make the childhood ages a lot more fun. I hear a lot of complaining about how boring the baby stage is, but really what do you expect them to actually do?

They need to get a job dang it!

But yeah, babies aren't that fun. They can't even hold their own heads up...
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited May 2011
    I guess what bugs me the most about the negative threads is not just the "I don't like this pack so I'm not going to buy it" but the "ZOMG THIS PACK IS THE SUXXORS ANYONE WHO BUYS IT IS A SIMSHEEP WHO KEEPS US FROM GETTING REALLY COOL STUFF LIKE WEATHER AND PETS AND STUFF!!!!!!!!" :roll:

I wasn't all that crazy about the Late Night idea, but I still bought the pack. Why? There were things in there that I was excited about -- hot tubs, new instruments, new interactions, and the like. I'd say my favorite of the expansion packs has been Ambitions, because of the ability to be a stay at home Sim parent and still make a decent living. Now I know there are people who think Ambitions was the biggest waste, but that's them -- I'm not going to tell them they HAVE to buy it or they're total losers who miss out on the whole Sim experience.

The beauty of the Sims is that you're not forced to play it the same way as anyone else; some people play legacies to the umpteenth generation, others hop from family to family, still others concentrate on building or designing. Some use mods and cheats to enrich their game experiences, while others enjoy the challenges of starting with practically nothing and working their way up the ladder of social standing. It's like real life in its elemental way -- you're given the form to work with, but what you do with your life is up to you to a certain extent.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    miloandotismiloandotis Posts: 5,475 New Member
    edited May 2011
    It might not be necessary for you, and your gamelpay tastes, but that's YOUR opinion. So to say the whole thing 'isn't necessary" is just..stupid.
    I, personally thing it's GREAT that it adds to what we already have. It gives us the option to have that sandbox style gameplay that a lot of us love. I hated how the past EP's have no connection to the base game at all (except for maybe ambitions), they just add this whole new unconnected level of the game. I think this EP is going to be great because it will add so many little touches that people have been asking for, for such a long time! People complain that Sims 3 is missing these "little" things, and yet when they give them to us people say it's missing a shiny huge new bug-causing feature. Can't please everyone, but this EP definitely makes me happy :3

And then there's those who say "This should have been in the base game! Wahh!" Well. Too bad. It's not. So get it now or not at all..it's your choice.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited May 2011
    :roll: Well, I understand that it is just adding to what we already have, but come on. Who doesn't want bachelor parties, sleepovers, proms, (even if they are rabbitholes; I heard they give you lots of info as it goes on) more awesome weddings, and house parties? Although, like everyone has said before, there isn't really an idea to it, you have to admit it sounds cool. I, myself, would love to see my teens pull pranks on other people. I am really excited for this EP. And please, stop complaining that it doesn't come with a new world! What would they put in it that is different? A playground, a...oh wait, nothing else. EA was using a little bit of logic there. It's not like this EP is a total waste. I read some reviews for people in London who got to try it for 4 hours and they found it to be awesome! So it might not have as much as the other EPs had. You have to admit this was a pretty good idea.

I'd rather build my own playgrounds -- in fact, I'm thinking of doing "mini-playgrounds" in different parts of my Sims towns, so kids don't have to go across town to play and by the time they get there it's time to go home for dinner. When I was growing up, every neighborhood had their own little play area where parents would take their toddlers and have a chance to chat with neighbors while the kids played, or that the kids could go after school once their homework was done. In fact, a small park like that would mean I wouldn't need such big lots for my houses and wouldn't need to buy my own play equipment.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    StarbucaneerStarbucaneer Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited May 2011
    Jdrizzle91 wrote:
    wrote...
    Will there still be sim fans who embrace the idea of an ep called sims 3: venetian blinds? With brand new venetian blinds for your sims homes?
    [/end venting]

Ooo new venetian blinds........ I want that LOVL! :lol:

When I read that I laughed so hard I cried. Thanks for cherring up a dull day LOL :wink:
    Simming since the beginning! :)
  • Options
    StarbucaneerStarbucaneer Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited May 2011
    The beauty of the Sims is that you're not forced to play it the same way as anyone else; some people play legacies to the umpteenth generation, others hop from family to family, still others concentrate on building or designing. Some use mods and cheats to enrich their game experiences, while others enjoy the challenges of starting with practically nothing and working their way up the ladder of social standing. It's like real life in its elemental way -- you're given the form to work with, but what you do with your life is up to you to a certain extent.

Absolutely agree, may I say you summed it up very welll, this game allows you to give your imagination free reign... well more than any game I have played to date! :D
    Simming since the beginning! :)
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,550 Member
    edited May 2011
    I'd rather build my own playgrounds -- in fact, I'm thinking of doing "mini-playgrounds" in different parts of my Sims towns, so kids don't have to go across town to play and by the time they get there it's time to go home for dinner. When I was growing up, every neighborhood had their own little play area where parents would take their toddlers and have a chance to chat with neighbors while the kids played, or that the kids could go after school once their homework was done. In fact, a small park like that would mean I wouldn't need such big lots for my houses and wouldn't need to buy my own play equipment.

I've done that for sims whom's home lot didn't allow for the space. I zoned it so other sims would stay away. I didn't want a bunch of adults hanging out at the playground. EA really should allow us to zone lots a kid only, or kid + parents. I've seen shots of sims using their playground lot in Generations. It was loaded with adults. :P

I made a fake sandbox for this little playground. I put a toychest in it. Now generations is bring a working sandbox. Perfect.
    Screenshot-522.jpg
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    @miloandotis: You think ambitions is the one that adds to the sandbox feature? I thought LN was more sandbox than ambitions.. ambitions and WA were total rpg's.
    I just don't think that an ep full of only little features should be sold at 40 dollars. They didn't even give us a lot of little features IMO.
    They definitely could have added more to this ep. I WANT MOAR.

Also, EA is capable of releasing an ep with big features that isn't hugely bugged, they just don't test the game enough, because the more time they spend testing it, the more money they spend in making the ep.

@starbucaneer: I'm glad you liked my OP! It is honestly a serious question of mine. I'm wondering how empty and pointless an sp or ep has to get before collectors decide not to get it. Will someone purchase an sp or ep about new blinds for windows? Probably.