Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• Options
    MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited November 2009
    Merry and Sunset,

So happy to find other history lovers here!! My daughter has a degree in history- probably due to my dragging her to every free historical site in the state as a child! :D

I love just about all of it but am more partial to European history and influnces.. can't wait for WA and France!!!

Yeah, I would absolutely love the Native American theme, and even ancient Greece... I'll join you Sunset retiring to live in a museum!... Seriously, you are a field archaeoligist???? That is just so awesome!!

Merry, I just checked out your prairie style house, Absolutely perfect! I wish I had as much patience and attention to detail!

Thank you Judy. It took me about three weeks to complete, and I spend a lot of time simming. LOL

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    UmiKagami wrote:
    Hello, I just wanted to drop by and say that I love this thread! I don't consider myself a novice, but I'm always looking for ways to improve my building and decorating skills. I don't have any WIP pics with me right now, but I may load up my different saved games later tonight and take some.

If it's alright, I would love to take part in MerryWiddow's homework. For the first assignment, should the bathroom and kitchen be furnished like in the floor plan or would you rather have all the rooms empty? Is there a deadline?

Welcome UmiKagami. Thank you for you comments on the thread. You are always welcome to post pics of your WIP anytime.

The challenge of assignment one is just to build the structure; the walls and the roof only. Further assignments will carry on from there. Please read the instructions carefully and have fun.

There will be no dealine, so to speak, as this will be ongoing for anyone who joins the thread. I will, however, be posting Assignment Two in one week.

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    XOX1XOX1 Posts: 2,643 Member
    edited November 2009
    MerryWiddow-

My sister and I built our first house back on the ranch when we were still teenagers, just to get away from the main house. I have built a few houses in real life from the ground up since then. I draw scaled diagrams all of the time.

A double bed mattress is 54in. x 75in.

Add a few more inches on the side to allow for the bedframe, and navigation, it will come out to be very close to six feet wide. Do the same for length, and take into consideration that the game demands the extra square at the foot of the bed for placement due to navigation, and you have very close to nine feet.

The furniture in the game can be out of scale. One only has to look at some of the dressers, and end tables to see that.

You can use a freeware measuring device called "JRuler" to get an accurate, onscreen calculation of scale and size.

• Options
    SunsetValley01SunsetValley01 Posts: 1,193 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Hehe, Judyworks, no. I'm not a field archaeologist, yet. Haha, it is my career of choice but I've yet to obtain my degree. When I do though, you can count on some awesome adventure tales. Right now I'd have to bore you with conducting stories and how incapable teenagers are (well most of them) in counting in mixed time. Haha.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    XOX1 wrote:
    MerryWiddow-

My sister and I built our first house back on the ranch when we were still teenagers, just to get away from the main house. I have built a few houses in real life from the ground up since then. I draw scaled diagrams all of the time.

A double bed mattress is 54in. x 75in.

Add a few more inches on the side to allow for the bedframe, and navigation, it will come out to be very close to six feet wide. Do the same for length, and take into consideration that the game demands the extra square at the foot of the bed for placement due to navigation, and you have very close to nine feet.

The furniture in the game can be out of scale. One only has to look at some of the dressers, and end tables to see that.

You can use a freeware measuring device called "JRuler" to get an accurate, onscreen calculation of scale and size.

My goodness XOX1 you can be a stickler for detail. LOL. I know a double bed it 54" by 75" inches. I sleep on one. What I am trying to do here is keep it simple for the novice builder. I'm hoping they won't need a math degree to do a simple house.

Therefore, for my purposes of the Homework Assignment One, a sim tile is 2' x 2'.

Love your posts. Keep me thinking.

MerryWiddow
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That's what I am here for...

To amuse and inform.

• Options
    UmiKagamiUmiKagami Posts: 412 Member
    edited November 2009
    Welcome UmiKagami. Thank you for you comments on the thread. You are always welcome to post pics of your WIP anytime.

The challenge of assignment one is just to build the structure; the walls and the roof only. Further assignments will carry on from there. Please read the instructions carefully and have fun.

There will be no dealine, so to speak, as this will be ongoing for anyone who joins the thread. I will, however, be posting Assignment Two in one week.

MerryWiddow

Okay, thanks. I'll get to work on it later.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    UmiKagami wrote:

MerryWiddow

Okay, thanks. I'll get to work on it later.

Have fun.

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    judywork1957judywork1957 Posts: 6,594 Member
    edited November 2009
    Sunset, hahaha teenagers are not the only ones incapable of counting in mixed time!! I for one would be very hard pressed to accomplish it! and, we all have those dream careers! Personally, I am so ADD that I still can't decide what that dream career would be?! It seems to vary on a daily basis! That's probably why I enjoy my sims so much... with them I can easily change my mind- or theirs with only minor negative affects!!

Merry, I have read through your homework assignments and may eventually take them on. But, right now my time is going to be extremely limited for a while due having to work a lot of extra hours. I've had over a month off of medical leave and now have been released to return to work....good thing too because my finances took a huge hit from it!! Also, I'm having on and off problems with the forum access and am never quite sure when it will let me on :? :roll: I can only hope for the best every time I try to open a thread to read it!!
  • Options
    magician1magician1 Posts: 3,098 Member
    edited November 2009
    Hi all

Lovely to see you all chat and share ideas, etc.

I need help:

My house for my Simself is just about finished and I'm having some difficulty in finding the right covershot:

Here are the 4 I have to choose from:

4)

Covershot4-2.jpg

3)
    Covershot3.jpg

2)
    Covershot2-1.jpg

1)
    Covershot1-1.jpg

Please be so kind as to help me. If u think one main Picture with the other small picture in it will be better, I will just swap the small picture.

Oh yeah about number 4 and 1. The small pic will get it's border around it. Oops a small slip. :oops:

Thank You
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Does anybody know how the Exchange reads the amount of shots for uploads?

"Southern Comfort" has 5. "Juneberry Planetarium" has 11.

While preparing "Juneberry Planetarium", I made 6 nice 512 x 512 PNGs for a walkthrough type slide show. I wasn't aware that I could have made 11.

I am not going to reload it, because it is being downloaded to my satisfaction.

I am as happy as a puppy getting it's belly rubbed if I get 100+ DLs!

For the sake of future uploads, does anyone have a scale for this?

Thanks!

BTW- Magician1- Shot Number 1 appeals to my eye the best. It is bright and clear, with a great angle. Night shots loose a lot of detail when scrunched down by the Exchange's picture viewer in my experience.

• Options
    edited November 2009
    XOX1 wrote:

While preparing "Juneberry Planetarium", I made 6 nice 512 x 512 PNGs for a walkthrough type slide show. I wasn't aware that I could have made 11.

Thanks!

BTW- Magician1- Shot Number 1 appeals to my eye the best. It is bright and clear, with a great angle. Night shots loose a lot of detail when scrunched down by the Exchange's picture viewer in my experience.

Hi

I can't help you with the number of shots Question.

Ok, No 1 has 2 votes so far. The rest none.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    Jasonmazda2Jasonmazda2 Posts: 3,532 Member
    edited November 2009
    Epitome of Modern Elegence- My finished lot

Here is the full thread for more pictures, leave a comment if you have time :)

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/122541.page

Screenshot-418.jpg

Screenshot-413.jpg

Screenshot-383.jpg
    hgjghj.jpg
  • Options
    ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited November 2009
    Maj: I like the shot labled #2....the night shot. It looks very dramatic and I think it enhances the build. :D
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Maj: I like the shot labled #2....the night shot. It looks very dramatic and I think it enhances the build. :D

ty for the 'vote'.

How r u doing?

Been a while since seeing u last.

Thank You

• Options
    edited November 2009
    magician1 wrote:
    Hi all

Lovely to see you all chat and share ideas, etc.

I need help:

My house for my Simself is just about finished and I'm having some difficulty in finding the right covershot:

Here are the 4 I have to choose from:

4)

Covershot4-2.jpg

Please be so kind as to help me. If u think one main Picture with the other small picture in it will be better, I will just swap the small picture.

Oh yeah about number 4 and 1. The small pic will get it's border around it. Oops a small slip. :oops:

Thank You

I like this one the best for angle, but can you make it a day shot? The insert pic; the lounge.

Merrywiddow
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Screenshot-418.jpg

Screenshot-413.jpg

Screenshot-383.jpg

Jason I like what I see. I'll go look at the Pic's and get back with my comments.

Thank You for sharing.

Will wait for the link to House.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    XOX1 wrote:

Thanks!

Hi XOX1. I believe it has to do with the number of levels in your home. There is one pic for each level plus a couple of full shots. You have brought up a great question.

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Screenshot-418.jpg

Screenshot-413.jpg

Screenshot-383.jpg

Jason looks good in the pics, but like Magic I'll wait for the link. May I suggest that you try tinypic.com. There seems to be less problems with them.

Hope this helps.

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    MW

You think this is fine?
    I feel the nite shot looks better!

What do you folks think?

Covershot6.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2009
    magician1 wrote:
    MW

You think this is fine?

What do you folks think?

Covershot6.jpg

I like the shot, but the roof line doesn't look modern.

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    magician1 wrote:
    MW

You think this is fine?

What do you folks think?

Covershot6.jpg

MerryWiddow

Ok, you are the first person to see that the roof is not Modern, (nobody on BB, Sterling or here noticed it) Well done MW.

Here's the actual roof.

Covershot7.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Magician1-

What I liked about shot 1, aside from the brightness, and clarity, was that it really showed off the nice pond underneath. That is a really good feature of your design. perhaps you could duplicate that angle?

Also, the dining table insert was very striking.

• Options
    edited November 2009
    magician1 wrote:
    magician1 wrote:
    MW

You think this is fine?

What do you folks think?

Covershot6.jpg

MerryWiddow

Ok, you are the first person to see that the roof is not Modern, (nobody on BB, Sterling or here noticed it) Well done MW.

Here's the actual roof.

Covershot7.jpg

Much better.

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    XOX1 wrote:
    Magician1-

What I liked about shot 1, aside from the brightness, and clarity, was that it really showed off the nice pond underneath. That is a really good feature of your design. perhaps you could duplicate that angle?

Also, the dining table insert was very striking.

On the Exchange the pictures show up much smaller so going with the Diningroom and the house from that angle and distance is going to be too small.

Thank you for your opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top