The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• Options
    JuliababyjenJuliababyjen Posts: 783 Member
    edited January 2010
    oooh Merry, I love the pink one! So want it in rl!
  • Options
    riniraerinirae Posts: 3,916 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Merry, those are absolutely gorgeous! I never really did think about making the walls and tile the same color/pattern.

And thank you everyone for the tips! I can't wait to start my next house, but...

I actually have finals coming up next week which I need to prepare for. So after the exams are finished, I will start building again. :)

Also, I'm on a hunt for a house that you guys might have. My female sim is now preggo again (with twins? :o), and we need a better house than the default beach house. I'm looking for a 3 bedroom, 2-3 bath house, with an office, and entertainment area. If any of you have one please let me know (it be especially great if it had no CC!)
  • Options
    MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited January 2010
    Hi everyone at Builders' 101! Glad to see you're back, Merry! I left a message for you at Jaded's site, but of course we can be friends! lol Never wasn't your friend! Just wanted to stay away for a bit and let the drama die down.

Anyhoo, I am working on several projects at once right now. At this rate, none of them will ever be done! Here's the cottage I've been working on. DS was showing us terrain sculpting. Its also the same cottage from my Windsor Estate. I love the design. Here's some pics:

Hi Julia, Your landscaping looks great. That terrain sculpting seems to be working for you. LOL! I had to laugh at myself. I tried to scroll in for a closer look at your overviews. I'm wondering if the lighting on the ceiling are your working lights. I love the layout and the colours you are using, I'm just not sure the colour of the floor works with the drapes. I would try a different colour for the drapes or a different pattern where you can use just a little of the red. You have different woods together in what I think is the foyer. The second last picture. You're doing a great job with this one.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    oooh Merry, I love the pink one! So want it in rl!

Hi Julia, thank you. I love that one too. I must admit I enjoy doing bathrooms.

Bathroom 1 & 2 are from Wright Prairie Reload
    Bathroom 3 & 4 are fom Miss Marple's House
    Bathroom 5 is from Jungle Retreat
    Bathroom 6 & 7 are from Lakeshore Beach House
    Bathroom 8, 9 & 10 are from Modern Bridge House

Have fun building!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    rinirae wrote:
    Merry, those are absolutely gorgeous! I never really did think about making the walls and tile the same color/pattern.

And thank you everyone for the tips! I can't wait to start my next house, but...

I actually have finals coming up next week which I need to prepare for. So after the exams are finished, I will start building again. :)

Also, I'm on a hunt for a house that you guys might have. My female sim is now preggo again (with twins? :o), and we need a better house than the default beach house. I'm looking for a 3 bedroom, 2-3 bath house, with an office, and entertainment area. If any of you have one please let me know (it be especially great if it had no CC!)

My Wright Prairie Reload would fit the bill. Rather expensive though if that matters to you.

The Prairie Style by Frank Lloyd Wright featured low hipped roof lines, horizontal lines, rows of windows and open spaces. This home has 3 beds incl nursery, 2 baths, an open living room with central fireplace, kitchen, dining room with walk out to outside dining and BBQ on the wraparound veranda. It also features a gym, study, playground, pool and gardens. No cc.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1260996

Enjoy!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm off to get a little shut eye. See you tomorrow.

Good night.

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    riniraerinirae Posts: 3,916 New Member
    edited January 2010
    I'll take a look at it! What do you mean rather expensive, BTW? :P Is it over 300k furnished?

I also downloaded Sarah's house as I'm a huge fan of the traditional style (it looks traditional to me. :P). Does that have any CC? If so, I'll need to ask my mom if it's ok to install. I'm very close to caving and going on a download spree at TSR, so it's not a big deal if it does. xDD
  • Options
    judywork1957judywork1957 Posts: 6,594 Member
    edited January 2010
    Merry, just wanted to stop in and say, I'm so glad your computer problems are under control and that you are back here! I missed you and want you to know I value your friendship, advice, suggestions, encouragement and support in all ways! I hope any issues and drama have calmed down, and I will stop back when ever I have time!! Hugs to you!
  • Options
    bergcrysbergcrys Posts: 659
    edited January 2010
    This is a cabin I'm working on. Ive only really worked on the exterior so far.

Screenshot-254.jpg

Screenshot-250.jpg

Screenshot-251.jpg

Screenshot-252.jpg

Screenshot-253.jpg
  • Options
    PINKLADY1PINKLADY1 Posts: 142 Member
    edited January 2010
    Merry: I love all them, but my two fav's of the bunch has to be the pink one and the purple one.
  • Options
    nam24601nam24601 Posts: 650
    edited January 2010
    I just wanted to stop in and say a quick hello to all my 101 family! :)

Unfortunately, I am not seeing anyone's pictures for some reason, so I can't comment on anyone's work atm. :(

Anyway, I'm off to go do some more work. Talk to you guys tomorrow. :)
  • Options
    XOX1XOX1 Posts: 2,643 Member
    edited January 2010

Merry-

Glad to see you are back. I just wanted to pop in, and relay this link to you...

"Imaging 101"- A Lesson by XOX1-

This is still a work in progress. It is going to take a little time to make it perfectly complete, because I need to make a lot of custom pictures for it. My "How To Make A Cover Pic Slideshow" is already finished, and posted there. "How to Make a Cover Pic Using Irfanview" is now finished. It is a high priority project for me, and will be finished ASAP.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/157391.page

I had to delete the tutorials in my studio, because the pictures disappeared. I decided to make a thread about what I know about imaging. The two things you can most likely use as tools on this thread are already finished. You may post a link, and refer to it at will.

If you need my help on anything, just post a message at "The Sandbox", I check it every day.

Thank you, and I hope this is helpful.

• Options
    Midnight18Midnight18 Posts: 149 Member
    edited January 2010
    Glad to see you are back with a vengence Merry. I have been working on another project while you were gone, but I plan to finish my homework since it has been so beneficial to increasing my skills. I was having a heck of a time with creating a story.

I will put some pics up here, I was on assignment three the "Garden".

I have been posting my WIP over on Darksides thread, and I can post them in both places going forward.

It looks like this thread is coming back to life and while I have been reading it everyday I haven't been posting much.

Midnight
  • Options
    AuroraDayAuroraDay Posts: 33 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Nice Forum!I may do those assignments since I'm hopeless at building! Is it ok if I mention on here that I'm starting up a building and sim creating challenge? It can be found here if anyone wants a go http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/162046.page#1921495
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    rinirae wrote:
    I'll take a look at it! What do you mean rather expensive, BTW? :P Is it over 300k furnished?

I also downloaded Sarah's house as I'm a huge fan of the traditional style (it looks traditional to me. :P). Does that have any CC? If so, I'll need to ask my mom if it's ok to install. I'm very close to caving and going on a download spree at TSR, so it's not a big deal if it does. xDD

Hi rinirae, you can get more information at my website.

Creations by MerryWiddow

There are links to the assets and slide shows of some of my builds.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Merry, just wanted to stop in and say, I'm so glad your computer problems are under control and that you are back here! I missed you and want you to know I value your friendship, advice, suggestions, encouragement and support in all ways! I hope any issues and drama have calmed down, and I will stop back when ever I have time!! Hugs to you!

Thank you Judy and, of course, you are always welcome. Hugs back at you!

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    bergcrys wrote:
    This is a cabin I'm working on. Ive only really worked on the exterior so far.

Hi bergcrys, I love your terrain. It looks very mountainous. Your cabin looks modern with that roof line. Is that what your were after? The only thing I think you need to work on are the windows. They look kinda of haphazard. I suggest that you check out the following pictures of modern cabins.

modern-cabin-green-seattle.JPG

method_cabin_jul_02.jpg

Notice how they do the windows.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    XOX1 wrote:
    Merry-

Glad to see you are back. I just wanted to pop in, and relay this link to you...

"Imaging 101"- A Lesson by XOX1-

This is still a work in progress. It is going to take a little time to make it perfectly complete, because I need to make a lot of custom pictures for it. My "How To Make A Cover Pic Slideshow" is already finished, and posted there. "How to Make a Cover Pic Using Irfanview" is now finished. It is a high priority project for me, and will be finished ASAP.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/157391.page

I had to delete the tutorials in my studio, because the pictures disappeared. I decided to make a thread about what I know about imaging. The two things you can most likely use as tools on this thread are already finished. You may post a link, and refer to it at will.

If you need my help on anything, just post a message at "The Sandbox", I check it every day.

Thank you, and I hope this is helpful.

Thank you XOX. I've added it to page 1. It will be very useful.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Midnight18 wrote:
    Glad to see you are back with a vengence Merry. I have been working on another project while you were gone, but I plan to finish my homework since it has been so beneficial to increasing my skills. I was having a heck of a time with creating a story.

I will put some pics up here, I was on assignment three the "Garden".

I have been posting my WIP over on Darksides thread, and I can post them in both places going forward.

It looks like this thread is coming back to life and while I have been reading it everyday I haven't been posting much.

Midnight

Glad to see you here and I will be happy for you to continue your homework.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    AuroraDay wrote:
    Nice Forum!I may do those assignments since I'm hopeless at building! Is it ok if I mention on here that I'm starting up a building and sim creating challenge? It can be found here if anyone wants a go http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/162046.page#1921495

Hello and welcome AuroraDay. I think you would find the homework very helpful. And as long as it has to do with building you can mention it on here. Good luck with your challenge. It looks interesting. I have the same problem finding suitable spouses.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

• Options
    Httddy7Httddy7 Posts: 122 Member
    edited January 2010
    Hi all,

I've had a play around with CFE, gulp. Wow is that interesting. Everytime you think you've got what you want, something jumps out of place, or won't go back it etc. Anyway, I think I've achieved what I was after. This is only a shell at the moment, there is nothing inside (not even rooms!). And not all the windows are in place either.

Here's the outside
    Screenshot-58.jpg

The entrance hall
    Screenshot-59-1.jpg

Downstairs
    Screenshot-60-1.jpg

upstairs
    Screenshot-61-1.jpg

The different floor patterns are so that I could tell which level was which while building it.

Hope you all like it, your thoughts are appreciated.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Merry: ty so much for the pics for the windows. I wasnt happy with the way they looked at all but had no idea what to do with that. They will come in very handy. And yes it is a modern feel cabin. The interior is where that will really show. here is my palette.

http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/78499/Cabin_In_The_Woods

• Options
    AuroraDayAuroraDay Posts: 33 New Member
    edited January 2010
    I added the building challenge in there because I am absolutely awful at everything except interior design. You should honestly see the spouses in my game! On Sunday I may try the first homework because I have too much already!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So I had a little mishap with my cabin...for some reason (I think I may have gone gung ho on soften terrain to close to the house) The house was all wonky in one corner causing all kinds of structual deformities. So I tore her down and started over...Kept the same idea just on flat terrain. I changed the siding again and I went for a new look with the windows as per MErry's suggestion. Let me know what you think.

Screenshot-257.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Httddy7 wrote:
    Hi all,

I've had a play around with CFE, gulp. Wow is that interesting. Everytime you think you've got what you want, something jumps out of place, or won't go back it etc. Anyway, I think I've achieved what I was after. This is only a shell at the moment, there is nothing inside (not even rooms!). And not all the windows are in place either.

The different floor patterns are so that I could tell which level was which while building it.

Hope you all like it, your thoughts are appreciated.

It's not only difficult to do CFE it is also difficult to see it in pictures. I think I have it figured out. It is like my sister's house. You come in the entry and go down to the basement or up to the living area. It looks like you have done a great job.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top