The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In-Game Pulsating Popup Packs Ad: Community Reacts

1111213141517...Next

Comments

• Options
    Freckles1971Freckles1971 Posts: 511 Member
    At least in the sims 3 you could turn off the CC ads. B)
  • Options
    mrs_starkeymrs_starkey Posts: 191 Member
    edited June 12
    I hate these new ads that pop up EVERY TIME I start the game. I know that I don't have the paranormal pack, and I know that I don't have the menswear pack. There is absolutely no need to remind me every playsession about these packs. I do NOT want to purchase these packs, no matter how often I get the ads for them!
    This is very, very annoying! There needs to be a toggle for these ads or at least a cooldown.

It is such a repelling behaviour towards the costumer.
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 486 Member
    And no doubt they are going to act all surprised if Sims 5 sells poorly while stuff like this over the years would be a big reason for it.
  • Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 726 Member
    The pop up ads are yet another layer of the same sensory overload people have been discussing ad infinitum. EA doesn't care, and not enough people are willing to refuse to buy packs to try and force their hand on the issue. Look at the general response to the new Romance pack, EA basically does over an entire section of disabled people (by ignoring issues with things like sensory overload disorders) and folks are still slathering at their hand because a new EP is being released. Great for the simmers who have been waiting for such a pack, but I think at this point we can all stop pretending that EA actually cares about anything other than making money. Actual inclusivity in the Sims? Don't make me laugh.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    It's honestly just yet another pack I wouldn't even want for free. We already have romance in the game, yet again they just ignore all the most requested things that have been requested since the launch of sims 4.
    They just keep releasing the packs no one asked for.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,531 Member

After the most recent patch I decided to spend some happy build time in a mod-free, vanilla game. It took only ONE second for Blinky McCartface to tell me to "Try on reimagined menswear".
    I had a good laugh at that, or was I crying? I can't tell the difference anymore.

No EA. I won't "Try on your reimagined menswear." It's bad enough that my own imagination gets feverishly nightmarish just thinking about that kit. I also believe I look much better in the pants that I'm currently wearing - stop telling me what to wear and what to buy.
    Of course it came as no surprise when the "no more blinkycart" mod hopped cheerfully back into my mods folder less than a fraction of a second later.

Here's our Help Centre Icon option:

Helpicon.jpg

See the way I have it disabled? It's because I don't need help. I also don't need the UI telling me I need help. See how easy that is?

Why can't shopping cart have that?? That's the million dollar question (answered).
  • Options
    That they even dare to call that pack menswear. I'm a man, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything in that pack.
  • Options
    MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 6,413 Member
    LoL! 😂
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,409 Member
    As soon as I saw the Modern Menswear Kit I immediately thought of Dan Levy. Specifically his character in Schitt's Creek, David Rose. He's now in my game. :) I love all the pieces on him.

IaF64Zv.png

u4dFwlq.png
  • Options
    MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 6,413 Member
    We gotta represent for the Men in this game.
    WE LOVE THEM! <3
  • Options

I’d have no problem getting caught dead wearing an ancestral kilt. Not sure how and why I’d find myself in such a dire situation, but that’s an entirely different story (the dead part, not the kilt part).

People can wear whatever they want, however, calling that pack “Modern Menswear” as though this is what most “modern” men wear is downright peculiar to be honest. We don’t. But then again, I’m not the target audience. My guess is that only about 0.2% of western men wear miniskirts typically worn by schoolgirls. Unless a male has an extremely feminine frame, it’s going to look ridiculous in my personal opinion.

Men already get the short end of the stick when it comes to this game’s (masculine) male content. I’m delighted we finally got a handful of body hair, however… there’s still no urinals or hey let’s go wild, a pee tree.
    Why not release a pack full of skimpy, seductive outfits and call it “Modern Womenswear”? They wouldn’t dare and for good reason - this is why those kinda kits are called “Carnavalwear” and “Simtimates collection” or something along those lines. Because it’s a specific type of clothing not everyone will wear or would want on their sims. It is the labeling of the men kit that bothers me the most, not the content. They should’ve called it after the designer’s name, the way they did with Moschino. I still wouldn’t buy it, but at least I’d have been less chatty about it.

Ah, here’s me going off topic again, although if it wasn’t for the blinkin’ cart I wouldn’t be talking about this. How could I possibly forget this was all the shopping cart’s fault. 😅
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,208 Member
    I still think that the Modern Menswear should be Female Wear & should properly fit the female frame. :'( That being said, I noticed a new popup just at the beginning of the Sims 4 Menu about buying that horrible Bust the Dust Kit. :# I can't turn off the annoying popup & I won't ever own that Kit ever. :s However, the in-game cart doesn't annoy me or even glow thank goodness. :*
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited June 20
    If you guys think popup ads, flashing shopping carts, FOMO events, forced updates, and persistent online connectivity are all bad....

Just wait until we also start getting ads during loading screens, commercial breaks while our sims are watching tv, and EA billboard ads on the sides of those useless fake buildings we all love to hate. For all we know, they might even be trying to come up with a way to shove subscription services and perks (and their incessant popup reminders to "subscribe and save!!") directly into the game....

Yup. It's only going to get much much worse, I fear.

The days of us having full control over our own game is now long gone, my friends. They took that away from us the minute the base game went free-to-play.

Truth be told.... If I knew back then what I know now about all the sleezy changes they were going to make to this game 10 years down the road, I never would have bought it. I would have stuck to the previous iterations and not allowed myself to get hooked on this one. :|

I'm currently 5 packs behind (haven't bought anything since the castle kit came out) and I'm not even sure if and when I'll be buying anymore DLC for this game, I seem to have lost my enthusiasm for the Sims 4.... and that makes me sad.

But I don't want to jump onto the forums whining and complaining about the trauma I'm feeling with what EA has done to this game.... I don't want to take away from other peoples' joy and excitement when new packs come out. So instead, I've been spending my time researching on various ways to install the Sims 3, getting it to work properly (looking at you Island Paradise!), and seeing if there's a workaround to ensure the game is completely offline with zero EA interference.

Plus it's been oodles of fun scouring the internet trying to find all of my favourite old Sims 3 custom content and mods from way back in the day. :D

My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    PhillipaErdnussPhillipaErdnuss Posts: 77 Member
    @AncientMuse I see the same future as you do and that sickens me. I paid for that game - so I don‘t have to see ads in game.

I really lost all interest to play anymore. And if I had known in the past what will happen - I would not have bought so many packs. Last thing I bought was Get Together - and it will be the last. A very sad and deeply disappointed former Sims-Lover (since Sims1)
    Phillipa Erdnuss
    Mayoress of SimCity and all associated districts
    Let this cart-button disappear!
  • Options
    Yup. It's only going to get much much worse, I fear.

The days of us having full control over our own game is now long gone, my friends. They took that away from us the minute the base game went free-to-play.

True. We’ll be on subscription services in no time and soon we shall own nada.

I can no longer bring myself say things like: If only I knew I would have never bought it in the first place”.

I totally get it though, my first instinct is to say that about so many things that happened in my life, then again, it sort of wouldn’t be my life anymore and I wouldn’t have learned a single valuable lesson from the situations I got myself into, however sad, dark, ridiculous and cringeworthy they may have been - I shouldn’t have done a lot of things, I shouldn’t have been born on a Wednesday, I shouldn’t have been born.
    Luckily I’ve come to understand that living with guilt is not living at all and unfortunately, the Time Machine prototype I’ve been working on is still far from perfect - enabling overclocking mode continues to generate a temporary temporal paradox. Maybe it’s for the best. Still annoying. Nearly there though. 😋

I cherish every positive moment I had with The Sims 4 so far. I paid a lot of simoleons for it, but that price is nothing compared to the enjoyment the game has given me in the past. It still gives me plenty of enjoyment, although not without mods. Without certain mods TS4 becomes unplayable for me. I’m talking anti-phone mods, anti shopping cart mods and crowd control mods. If support for those mods cease to exist, I’m afraid I will also have to move on and/or return to playing previous iterations. Right now I give myself time for only playing ONE Sim and that’s número cuatro.

I’ve become a lot more cautious now too - on the one hand my excitement for official Sims 4 content is officially dwindling, on the other hand I’ve been having such a blast with exploring every decent occult and historical mod out there that I will continue to play this way ( MY WAY) but I’ll also continue to give feedback and fight, FIGHT for…you know…justice ’n’ all that good stuff… until TS4’s potential bleak future and lack of updated mods simply makes it impossible for me to keep playing the game.
    Fortunately the beings that dwell in the moors and the mountains enjoy my company and I also own a grand pair of boots.
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 588 Member
    @AncientMuse I totally understand your feelings about Sims 4. I can see that kind of future ahead too … but it is only one possibility for the future, and there are other, more positive ones! My hope is that they’ll save most of those things for Project Renee, which will be fine with me as I won’t have to opt in. And in the meantime, I don’t find Sims 4 too bad. Thankfully I can use the mod to remove the shopping cart, and because I almost always play offline I don’t ever have to see any ads. Long may it last.

But I’ve been having a blast with Sims 3 lately and spending a lot more time playing that. I really hope you can get your game to install and work properly, as when everything runs smoothly it’s so much fun! It feels like such an ambitious game compared with Sims 4. I spent a *long* time tweaking it and trying to get it to work properly (mainly through mods and finding the optimal graphics settings) when I reinstalled it a couple of years ago, but it was well worth it. For the past while I’ve been busy doing some Daily Deal stalking, trying to grab things I really want and don’t yet have before the Store gets shut down one day. I play offline and haven’t noticed any ‘interference’ from EA.

I don’t have any trouble with Isla Paradiso either. I followed all the advice in this Sims Community article and it seems to have worked for me so far:

https://simscommunity.info/2016/02/23/sims-3-tips-on-how-to-make-island-paradise-playable/
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,767 Member
    Well judging by these posts maybe I should be grateful that the game keeps recommending me horse ranch because I would rather get that pack recommended to me than bust the dust or modern menswear.

Thank you dear horses, unfortunately that means that I will never ever buy you, but you have a special place in my ad-filled space.
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 589 Member
    edited June 20
    Just wait until we also start getting ads during loading screens, commercial breaks while our sims are watching tv, and EA billboard ads on the sides of those useless fake buildings we all love to hate. For all we know, they might even be trying to come up with a way to shove subscription services and perks (and their incessant popup reminders to "subscribe and save!!") directly into the game....
    @AncientMuse
    dfe154c8-458d-44b6-8356-dbd493c30265_text.gif
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    Might not end there, they might just make all sims shills who promote advertisers at every turn as if it's the truman show.

*Sim is hungry.* Another sim recommends going to McDonalds, the whole family starts talking about the current deals, how it's fun for the whole family and if you don't send them off to McDonalds they all get a huge negative moodlet.

*Fridge breaks* Sim starts talking about how this never happens with this or that brand that's super reliable.

*Sim gets rejected for a date* A narrator's voice recommends that Sim the dating site of an advertiser.

*Sim goes jogging.* Every sim they pass by compliments them on their Nike running shoes.

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,222 Member
    edited June 21
    After the most recent patch I decided to spend some happy build time in a mod-free, vanilla game. It took only ONE second for Blinky McCartface to tell me to "Try on reimagined menswear".
    I had a good laugh at that, or was I crying? I can't tell the difference anymore.

No EA. I won't "Try on your reimagined menswear." It's bad enough that my own imagination gets feverishly nightmarish just thinking about that kit. I also believe I look much better in the pants that I'm currently wearing - stop telling me what to wear and what to buy.
    Ironically at this point whenever I see Modern Menswear kit I immediately think of you my friend :heart::joy:
    I do however agree that if we are doing men skirts those should at least be historical menswear to be more exciting
    or maybe something to wear to the moors
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Simmingal wrote: »

Ironically at this point whenever I see Modern Menswear kit I immediately think of you my friend :heart::joy:
    I do however agree that if we are doing men skirts those should at least be historical menswear to be more exciting
    or maybe something to wear to the moors

Ha! They should be paying me for incessantly promoting this kit. 😅
  • Options
    mrs_starkeymrs_starkey Posts: 191 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    [

Me too! :D And that's because of @CAPTAIN_NXR7's hilarious story about a man that gets delivered a secret package with a teeny weeny little tartan skirt. I saved that story on my device just in case it gets lost with the new forum. B)
  • Options

Fair play for saving that story @mrs_starkey, that’s brilliant!

I must admit though, I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it here. Oh God it’s all coming back to me now… I released it into the wild with the sole objective to get it out of my system once and for all, to never have to think about this miniature tartan skirt again, but there appears to be a mysterious force at work here, so exceptionally mischievous ( and possibly evil…) it has somehow made it its mission to unite me and this terrifying modern menswear thingamajig. 😂