The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In-Game Pulsating Popup Packs Ad: Community Reacts

1101112131416...Next

Comments

• Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,346 Member
    ImSands wrote: »
    I was actually gonna pick up Crystal Creations in this sale but now its a hard no. :(

Same here. I was about to finish buying all of the remaining packs that I needed, but when that annoying disrespectful in-game shopping cart came, I decided that I won't be buying anything more for the TS4 until that shopping cart is removed. It's saddening because TS4 is my favorite game, and I love supporting it, but I'm not gonna support EA's disrespectful treatment, that's just something that I cannot support. When they decide to treat us loyal and supporting TS4 fans with dignity and remove that annoying and bothersome shopping cart from the game, then I will be very happy to buy the remaining packs and continue supporting TS4.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 6,072 Member
    I'm hoping people won't use the shopping cart button to click on and buy things, preferring to use other methods of purchasing DLC, which will make the shopping cart button a poor feature from EA's perspective as well... is that too much to hope for?
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,404 Member
    Looks like the shopping cart might have been nothing but the first step... :(
    A CEO at maxis, Wilson, wants to put ads inside of EA games.

EA, please don't do this.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,346 Member
    Looks like the shopping cart might have been nothing but the first step... :(
    A CEO at maxis, Wilson, wants to put ads inside of EA games.

EA, please don't do this.

If they do this, that will be the complete end of TS4 for me. The shopping cart alone is breaking game emersion for me, ads will destroy it.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,532 Member
    I won't mind advertisements in the form of content, preferably free, like we had for previous games, the TS 2 IKEA and H&M packs, the Ford cars, the Pepsi vending machines from TS1, etc. But if they are going to pester with buy this or buy that type pop-ups, I am going to need an adblocker or just play off-line.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,124 Member
    I actually did buy Home Chef Hustle this weekend because I decided $6.99 was a good enough sale for it, but I did it the same way I've always bought packs. I went through Origin, chose to look at sales, chose the pack, and bought it. I don't need the cart with the annoying little sun or the annoying popups. It's completely unnecessary and it's obnoxious.

I usually play offline, but I was building and sharing houses that were fairly quick to build over the weekend and didn't want to disconnect and reconnect, so just stayed online. That little sun is the most annoying and distracting thing. Who on their marketing team came up with this... crap? What made them think it was a good idea? Do they actually play? My guess is no.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 725 Member
    I'm hoping people won't use the shopping cart button to click on and buy things, preferring to use other methods of purchasing DLC, which will make the shopping cart button a poor feature from EA's perspective as well... is that too much to hope for?

That's pretty much what I'm doing now. Anything I see advertised through that cart goes on my 'no buy' list, and anything else I might be interested I will purchase through the EA app.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,522 Member

There is no advantage in using the cart. The game has to close and start up again for any new content that's installed. I always think about buying packs in advance. Which means I install packs before I boot up the game anyway.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited May 15
    83bienchen wrote: »
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I don't even call it shopping fart anymore, cause a fart is something that at least doesn't last long.

Clearly you’ve never heard of “Forever Farts”. 😅

Now I don't know whether to cry or laugh.

Just remember the central lesson MASH... laugh. It makes life's bad things bearable. :)
    Laughing might cause even more farts
    but crying while farting sounds strangely worse almost tragic

I suggest exercise farting for best of all worlds
    it should help even with forever farts if you just run very fast into opposite direction 🏃‍♀️‍➡️

eventually you'll be so fast no one can track the fart back to you or identify you to the fart police

as for the advertising in game
    I'm afraid I'll have to run opposite direction too if they keep adding farts to the game
    theres only so many farts I can take and gas masks are not the solution if its a forever fart
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,072 Member
    Still haven't updated my game (or bought any DLC) since the castle kit came out, and I have no idea when I will finally update or consider buying any more DLC's.

Haven't bothered to play the game in a couple of months. I think at this point I've just simply become numb, impassive and lacking any enthusiasm or passion for the game. The current laggy/buggy mess the game is in (including broken gameplay features), selling us save corrupting broken packs, and then to put the cherry on top.... tossing in an unwanted, overtly invasive in-game shopping cart button. It's all become a bit too much and has turned me off of the game, I guess. I don't like feeling ripped off, nor do I like feeling as if I've been slapped in the face.

And to make matters worse EA hasn't even bothered to, at the very least, acknowledge simmers' concerns and distress over that disgusting insult otherwise known as the 'cart button'. Yet another slap in the face.

Yeah.... as it stands currently, I'm kind of done with it all. :|

My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,054 Member
    Yi63i5M.png
    Just what I love: immediately opening up the game and getting an ad. Can't wait to close the ad so I can see the ad-filled home page, then start the game and see a flashing, talking add at the top of my screen while I play.
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,477 Member
    edited May 14
    Gordy wrote: »
    Just what I love: immediately opening up the game and getting an ad. Can't wait to close the ad so I can see the ad-filled home page, then start the game and see a flashing, talking add at the top of my screen while I play.

Absolutely disgraceful. This is the dealings of freemium games.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,031 Member
    I am not looking forward to the time I will have to update my game. As I own about a quarter of the packs I know I’ll be be bombarded by the dreaded shopping cart! 😭😵‍💫

Why not keep ads to the main menu? That to me at least makes sense. Maybe too many people are ignoring the ads on there though? 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️

Unless there’s a turn off function soon I will say no to all 15 proposed DLC stuff this year. Not even a kit will be purchased.
    Liking Little Bistro Kit! French cafe vibes. 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,756 Member
    edited May 15
    Horse

nMlMfey.png

Horse

HORSE

That's 3 ads for Horse Ranch before I have even started playing. I guess you could say there is 4 if you count the EA App shop before even starting the game.
  • Options
    PhillipaErdnussPhillipaErdnuss Posts: 76 Member
    edited May 15
    These additional ads are so disgusting! If I hadn‘t made the decision already to not buy anything again from EA - I would make it now.
    EA keep up that behavior - I keep my money … or might spend it with your competitors…
    Phillipa Erdnuss
    Mayoress of SimCity and all associated districts
    Let this cart-button disappear!
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,516 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Horse

nMlMfey.png

Horse

HORSE

That's 3 ads for Horse Ranch before I have even started playing. I guess you could say there is 4 if you count the EA App shop before even starting the game.

Ah go on buy it.

Seriously, buy it.

BUY IT.

BUY IT!

BUY. IT!!

🛒💥BUY THE FRIGGIN’ HÄSTRANCH!!! 💥🛒

It’s an absolute joke. What a complete Greedfest, EA.

Shaking My Head.
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 485 Member
    edited May 15
    Gordy wrote: »

The fact that it's an ad for one of the worst-reviewed packs, too... 😂
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 480 Member
    Seriously, if they think packs are not selling enough, they should properly fix the bugs in those packs and add more content to it so that it's actually worth the money.

That and release more packs with an interesting theme, as it is pretty much all I did not buy I would not want for free either because it's mostly just so boring. Gimme more fantasy stuff. I'd get crystal creations but not before that shopping cart is removed.
    And my interest in that is only mild, snowy escape is probably the last time they released something I truly wanted. That's been some years.

• Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,124 Member
    Horse

nMlMfey.png

Horse

HORSE

Ah go on buy it.

Seriously, buy it.

BUY IT.

BUY IT!

BUY. IT!!

Buying it only stops the shopping cart popups for it, you'll still get the main menu ads. :|
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    edited May 15
    Somehow the language makes it sound even more violent :joy:
    but yeah uh, this amount of advertisements mostly makes me want to leave and buy nothing.
    I don't know why they think this is good idea when everyone has told them it is not good idea.
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,103 Member
    I have edited out the shopping cart, and will never ever allow it back in my game. Now if EA put ads into the game, like actual ads that invades my game I will stop playing! Free content in terms of products, fine. I don't mind if they have coca cola to drink or furniture from IKEA, but actual ads? Yeah, no that would be the last straw for me.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,756 Member
    edited May 15
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    Horse

nMlMfey.png

Horse

HORSE

Ah go on buy it.

Seriously, buy it.

BUY IT.

BUY IT!

BUY. IT!!

Buying it only stops the shopping cart popups for it, you'll still get the main menu ads. :|

Yeah if I give in to the horses and buy them then they are just gonna recommend something else like my first... wedding stuff or whatever billionth pack they have made. Doesn't matter if it's full of bugs and rabbit holes, they are gonna try and sell it to you.

And not with any sales arguments either just "remember me" like I'm some sort of oblivious person who are not aware of the game that I am literally playing. And I am also apparently not aware of HÄSTRANCH even though I can see the pack on the game menu and every time I travel I can see the world!? I never bought the pack because I saw that horse competitions were rabbit holes and I went "lol, no thanks." and now I have to suffer because of it?

This is ridiculous I want to get off this crazy train.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,516 Member

And not with any sales arguments either just "remember me" like I'm some sort of oblivious person who are not aware of the game that I am literally playing. And I am also apparently not aware of HÄSTRANCH even though I can see the pack on the game menu and every time I travel I can see the world!? I never bought the pack because I saw that horse competitions were rabbit holes and I went "lol, no thanks." and now I have to suffer because of it?

There’s a couple of kits that I don’t have, but one in particular occasionally pops up on my Sims 4 Main Menu. Now in all fairness, it isn’t very often, but it’s ALWAYS that one and ironically it’s a kit that I’ve been quite vocal about for not liking due to… a bunch of reasons. I. DO. NOT. WANT. IT.

It’s as if they know right well I don’t like that specific one ( they’re not advertising the other kits, surprise, surprise !) but they just want to rub it in regardless, just out of sheer pettiness. Okay, MAYBE I’m just a little paranoid ok MAYBE my walls are covered in news paper clippings, but I swear to Goth the EA overlords must be having an absolute laugh. Being someone with a sense of humor I can just chuckle along, however, there’s no way I’m buying that thing. I’m playing offline.

That particular kit is undeniably well made, alas it’s not my kind of content and for the 5000th time EA, I / WE would appreciate it if you respected our BOUNDARIES and let us turn off in- game or even pack specific adverts. We’ve already paid the price. It’s not that hard.
  • Options
    Strangely the pop ups also have not cursed my screen yet I wonder if its showing up first just for the people who also got the worst of disco cart button
  • Options
    marypoppins616marypoppins616 Posts: 5 New Member
    This is terribly disappointing. I have not been an active member in this community, but I have over 80,000 hours logged in the Sims 4. I don't know if I can play while that cart is pulsing in the corner of the screen. It's a sensory nightmare. I own every pack, kit, etc., so it is truly just showing me that I've wasted an amount of cash on something I can no longer tolerate using. Shame on EA.