Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Packs you do NOT want in your game

Comments

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,497 Member
    So...there are definitely a few packs that I don't have because there are specific features that come in those packs that would change my game in a way that would make it very annoying for me. And while there's always something in every pack I can use and enjoy, I have to keep in mind the overall balance of frustration vs. fun before I buy new content. To be honest, I'd love to buy these packs for their other features, but there are certain elements that I just wouldn't be able to cope with and while I'm not against using mods, I'd rather not because I'm really trying to keep the bare minimum due to the amount of updates and upkeep that they require. Some of these features I'm still questioning, and if I find a work-around that makes me feel comfortable enough about using, it could change my mind.

Parenthood - Didn't buy because of the kids and toddlers constantly making messes. Saw it on a livestream of the game and I just...can't. I'm just not a "parenting" kind of player. I like my kids to behave better than the adults, lol. (That's not a very high bar. :D ) Also not a fan of some of the "phases", but I could most likely tolerate that.

My Wedding Stories - Man, I love this world and I wants it, Precious. But what I've seen of the actual weddings...the horror! The horror! I don't have too many weddings in my game, but the ones I've done I've actually enjoyed. Like the Sulani beach wedding of the union of a hippie and a white witch, with Mermaids swimming around in the background and guests building sand sculptures. It was different, and I liked that a lot. I'm not ready to let those freer options go for more American Christian traditionalist ceremonies that just feel cold to me. I feel the same way in real life as well. I don't like the performative aspect of weddings, I like when they're smaller, odder, and more intimate and the union feels real. If the devs ever patch in a way to keep both styles, I would definitely get the pack. I don't know why they didn't make it optional. I could definitely have fun with a Self-Absorbed, High-Maintenance bridezilla on her wedding day shouting at everyone, but not at the expense of a more flexible wedding style. Also...Chinese food in a Mediterranean world? That's just a weird decision.

High School Years - This one kind of hurts. I love to play teens and I've used a high school mod before (by Zero, I think?) which I absolutely loved because it had field trips and some drama, if I remember it right. But this pack just seems so bland in comparison. When I was in high school, there were all kinds of shenanigans going on and lots and lots of trouble, lol. Yes, bullying was a thing, but also friend drama, cutting class, detention, pranks, dares, teacher favorites, fights, tardiness, tears, make-ups and break-ups... and I just feel like this pack seems too vanilla, like nothing really happens. It's similar to my disappointment in Discover University, where the Sims just didn't do anything wild. And the weird T poses (what is that??) and more tech obsession is a no-go for me. Enough with the screen fixations already! Why can't my Sims turn off their darn phones or let the batteries die so they can actually live their lives? And much like another simmer mentioned previously in this thread, I too feel resentful of the patch that came with this pack that dumped a load of excessive phone obsession into my game with no way to opt out. I didn't update for almost a year until I got a mod to kill it. If my mod dies, my game dies, because it literally becomes a utopian phone use simulator. So yeah, I give this pack the stink-eye, lol.

Bust the Dust - Just no interest whatsoever. I'm not a "chores" person. (In real life either, haha.)

Modern Menswear - I'd be curious to see the sales on this kit. Making skirts that short for guys? Um... they're like, two degrees south of the junkyard, if you know what I mean. Dude, get off the balcony, you're flashing all of San Myshuno.

So that's pretty much it, I think. Bummer that I have no slow dancing at all in my game, because I like to get new dances, but maybe one day that will change.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,596 Member
    edited November 2023
    Mens kit pack was a regrettable purchase. Weird runway fashion for men with little masculine options. (I dream of male sims having more variety of jeans and full body outfits that aren't tacky). Other than two or so pieces I wouldn't miss it if I removed it.

And Horse Ranch. Should have went with my gut that it was just horses, nectar making and yee-haw aesthetics. It really doesn't have much going on with it as it's just Cat's and Dogs with a new coat of paint to me, but less going on for it.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 756 Member
    The best sale of the year is happening. I don't want to miss anything that I might be tempted to pay much more for later. I am happy with what I have for this month, but I don't trust myself to stay so easily satisfied.

Vampires came in the previous sale as part of the Halloween Bundle and I did not install it. I know that I can do that with other packs, too. Buying a pack does not doom me forever into having to play a feature that I hate. I might uninstall Tartosa at some point. With the first sale, Tartosa was the cheapest swimmable water. I did not know that there was a better basegame wedding that I would prefer.

I think I have everything that I want that is on sale. I want Jungle Adventures later. Unless you all can tell me why I do NOT want it. LOL. I have enjoyed this thread! And learned so much. Thank you everyone!
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,331 Member
    edited November 2023
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 848 Member
    I'm pleased to see a pack I said I wanted on sale for actually FREE, but of course I can't install it. Although it's free until January so EA has a month and a half roughly to fix it.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,916 Member
    edited November 2023
    Not much of anything. I have all of the EPs and GPs and wouldn't want to give any of them up.

I also have most of the SPs. I think the only one I'm lacking at this point is Moschino, and that's a tough one for me... I would love the photography paraphernalia, but I despise all of the clothing for this pack, with maybe one exception, and I really don't want to start seeing it on townies or at festivals. So I may never buy it. I wish we had the ability to block/screen out individual items from packs, but I don't think that's realistic, certainly not for TS4.

As far as kits are concerned, there are several that I have not bought because there's just not enough to be worthwhile, for me. In many cases, I love the idea/theme, but as they were implemented, there are only maybe 1-2 items that I actually like. My threshold for a kit is that it has to have at least 3-4 items I like and will use often. At just over $1 per item, that's worth it to me. But $5 for a single item I like is never going to happen. For example, for the Carnaval kit, I love that one dress, but I don't "$5 love" it. Aside from that, I might use the halter top once or twice, but everything else just does not work for me. So I will never buy that kit. Others, like the plant/greenhouse kits, I'm on the fence about; I'm not so crazy about any one item, but I might use them as filler at some point, and I don't hate anything in them.

As I'm typing this, I'm realizing that when it comes to kits, CAS is always the tricky part. With B/B, if you end up disliking it, at least it won't randomly show up on its own. But unwanted CAS can really wreak havoc on your general sim populace.
  • Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 717 Member
    I usually buy all Expansion and Game (minus Batuu) Packs because they all have something interesting to play with but if I were a new player and were starting from scratch I'd probably not buy High School Years, Snowy Escape and maybe Get Together and University for a while but they're still good.

As for Stuff Packs, I have yet to buy several of them and I don't own any Kits, I don't care about those so far.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,156 Member
    I wouldn't want Zombies, yuck! :s
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Am I going to be banned if I say that I bought the Star Wars pack for the droids (even though I will admit--re-dressed "civilian" versions of Rey and Vi are almost always a common appearance in my saves) back when it got deeply discounted a couple weeks after release, and I just got My First Pet Stuff since it was free (in my opinion though, it should be free to anyone who has Cats and Dogs).

Eco Living, arguably, would be the pack that, going back, I would NOT get if I'd known now. Annoying gameplay, terrible premades, not that great of a world, and awful CAS. Although I will admit the "recycler" (aka wood chipper) comes in handy when ditching pesky garden gnomes. You get ticked at my Sim--you get turned into wood chips!

As a guy--"Modern Menswear" was just strange. I think Horse Ranch (given that almost all my everyday clothes were bought from Tractor Supply or Rural King) was really the first to contain a bunch of clothes that I personally wear. We really need a "workwear" type kit to continue the type of rugged, durable men's clothing. If they can collaborate with Moschino, I see no reason why they couldn't collaborate with Carhartt. Given that apparently, a lot of people wear Carhartt as a fashion statement, I think such a pack would do well. Wouldn't mind a "bespoke" kit too.
  • Options
    Lilypink79Lilypink79 Posts: 115 Member
    I have everything except the Modern Menswear kit, and I have no plans to get it, the clothes were more weird runway than everyday wear.

I can find things to like and dislike in every pack but the game (when it works) is much richer for having cross pack play.

For everyone slating Batuu.... You're missing out on some awesome BB items and the world is stunning! I wish EA would refresh the pack and allow it to become a vacation world, even adding only one or two buildable lots would be amazing.
    I've got 99 problems and TS4 glitches are 99 of them
  • Options
    Thank you to everyone that continues to contribute to this thread.

I purchased a few more packs and my Playstation 5 is starting to lag. Going forward, it appears impossible to have all the current and future packs installed at the same time. I guess I will get some practice at trying out different combinations of carefully selected packs. I have learned quite a bit about the individual features and cross-pack play as I have added more packs in one-by-one. I have seen generational challenges that only allow one pack installed per generation. I think that is a good way to learn the game.

It has been interesting to play without celebrities, especially sims that were added after Get Famous was released and that are expected to be celebrities. The supposed-to-be celebrities are initially more easy to approach, but they are not good long-term friends and partners. I feel bad for them. They seem kind of lost. I bought Get Famous last night and installed it, but have not played it. I am curious to see what happens now to these celebrities.

There is a couple in Horse Ranch that have a relationship that is meant to be complicated by gameplay from Get Together, but I have not played them.

Petey Plays It just released a video about cats. It includes some cross-pack play tips. like the cats riding on the robot vacuum cleaner. Cross-pack play fascinates me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chb18UM7v_U
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 883 Member
    I don't own all the packs, still want to get some, but not others. I watch reviews of each pack before buying them now. If I could remove one pack it would be My First Pet Stuff. I still hate that it was DLC for DLC.
    As for deciding on your packs for yourself, you should get what you want, and build from that.
    I like the occult, so I own all the Occult packs that I can so far, even Journey to Batuu. That pack is one I am still 50/50 on, I hate how it was a theme park dressed as a Sims 4 pack, but I do like some of the CAS items.
    There are some packs like My Wedding stories, and kits that I will avoid, because I don't really care for them.
    It is up to you on what packs you want, because you will be the one playing it overall. Also, if you are on the fence for some, watch/read reviews, and make your choice from that.
    I am biased on the Occult packs, so I will tell you they are all good, when realistically they are not.
  • Options
    mlnov39mlnov39 Posts: 2,294 Member
    I don't want rampaging werewolves in my game. No to that pack.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,414 Member
    edited November 2023
    As someone who owns almost eveyrhing I think the only pack I can say I haven't been wanting into my game is Bust the Dust. First of all I'm still not convinced it's bug free (sims constantly sniffing air, continuously shimmering floors, what else?) and second I'm unsure how it works for rotational play. I was initially excited for the aspirations, but now I feel I perhaps just want to avoid the extra chores.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    mlnov39 wrote: »
    I don't want rampaging werewolves in my game. No to that pack.
    Isn’t there an option in settings to have them locked to moonwood mill only?
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,268 Member
    Thank you to everyone that continues to contribute to this thread.

I purchased a few more packs and my Playstation 5 is starting to lag. Going forward, it appears impossible to have all the current and future packs installed at the same time. I guess I will get some practice at trying out different combinations of carefully selected packs. I have learned quite a bit about the individual features and cross-pack play as I have added more packs in one-by-one. I have seen generational challenges that only allow one pack installed per generation. I think that is a good way to learn the game.

It has been interesting to play without celebrities, especially sims that were added after Get Famous was released and that are expected to be celebrities. The supposed-to-be celebrities are initially more easy to approach, but they are not good long-term friends and partners. I feel bad for them. They seem kind of lost. I bought Get Famous last night and installed it, but have not played it. I am curious to see what happens now to these celebrities.

There is a couple in Horse Ranch that have a relationship that is meant to be complicated by gameplay from Get Together, but I have not played them.

Petey Plays It just released a video about cats. It includes some cross-pack play tips. like the cats riding on the robot vacuum cleaner. Cross-pack play fascinates me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chb18UM7v_U

Why don't you use a computer?
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited November 2023
    I swore up and down that I would never buy the Moschino stuff pack, but when I saw how it improved photography, I begrudgingly had to have it. I don’t feel it’s right to lock something like that behind another pack when I had already bought Get to Work for the photography feature.

I absolutely will never buy the following packs:
    •Eco Lifestyle. You couldn’t PAY ME to install that literal garbage. The NAP system is far too intrusive.
    •Journey to Batuu. I couldn’t be less interested in Star Wars.
    •Bust the Dust. I think the dust bunnies took it too far for me, plus it’s buggy.
    •Paranormal stuff. The content is just not for me.
    •Werewolves, Realm of Magic, and Vampires. I’ve thought about getting Vampires for the bb (I love Victorian architecture) but I already bought Strangerville for similar features and I can live without it.
    •Modern Themswear

My First Pet Stuff has some cute stuff for a kids room, like that bookshelf, so I enjoy it. I bought it when there wasn’t much out for toddlers.
  • Options

Why don't you use a computer?

After a bad Windows update, I went back to using Linux on my personal PC.

• Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I don't really play much with a few of them like Journey To Batuu or MFPS. I took a long break and recently came back. It's great to dust off my content again. It can be surprising what I end up playing with and focusing on at any given time. Sometimes I'll use a pack but in less linear ways. For example, where I left off, I had an abandoned teen move into the little rundown starter house in the Vampires pack. Even though I have a pretty limited usage of Vampires with currently only one that I turned (Max Villareal), I'm still using the pack. I don't think that teen will end up being a vampire but the setting really adds to the sense that she's abandoned and she is squatting in a falling down house.

I actually liked StrangerVille because I really ran with the quirky Western small town vibe. I also like the Eco Lifestyle town though not every theme of the pack, I did find enough to be happy with it though. There are various packs that came out during my break. I do plan to add some to my game but I'll prioritize my actual interests which don't need to be everyone else's. I don't feel like I need to have every kit for example. I do like some of the concepts of recent packs and I'm sure I'll add some. I don't really know what I'll do until I do it, but I'm fine with being a less supernatural player.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    the setting really adds to the sense that she's abandoned and she is squatting in a falling down house.

I never thought to actually own a house but to pretend that I don't. Thanks for the idea!
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    the setting really adds to the sense that she's abandoned and she is squatting in a falling down house.

I never thought to actually own a house but to pretend that I don't. Thanks for the idea!

Thanks, I guess I sometimes just make decisions during gameplay. I had thought that sim might end up as a vampire and it still might happen but the house full of crumbling walls and cobwebs also really looks like an abandoned house as well. If you really want to go for realism, you could use freerealestate on to have some squatter move in without spending money. Given that she had to spend most of her simoleons to move in and doesn't have a lot of cash left, it also gives the impression of the sim being one step up from homelessness.

It's just how that sim is starting out, she may go on to have a more settled life and she might move out of the crumbling house.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    mrs_starkeymrs_starkey Posts: 173 Member
    edited November 2023
    Usually I buy every pack, because there is always some things in each pack that I like or I can use, even if the main theme doesn't fit my playstyle. :)

But there are two exceptions.

I will never buy or download the Paranormal Stuffpack, even if it was given out for free. I really dislike the gameplay features, and I don't want to have this content installed on my computer.

And the second pack I will never get is the menswear kit. I am not a fan of the clothing overall and I don't want my townie male Sims to be running around in teeny weeny skirts. Although I enjoyed the little story from @CAPTAIN_NXR7 that he wrote when the pack was announced. It was too funny!! So there's a bright side to this kit. XD
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,729 Member
    edited November 2023
    Tiny living don't care for. That you can die with a pull out cough makes it a never use item, which I find it's the most valuable item in the pack. I never use the pack and I was never interested in tiny living. Why it's voted great I don't know. There was a trend for this a couple of years back, but I have never embraced it as a feasible concept. I find it kind of depressing actually. I live in the city and tiny living just does not appeal to me.
  • Options
    Breathe_No_MoreBreathe_No_More Posts: 184 Member
    LeucosiaX wrote: »
    Tiny living don't care for. That you can die with a pull out cough makes it a never use item, which I find it's the most valuable item in the pack. I never use the pack and I was never interested in tiny living. Why it's voted great I don't know. There was a trend for this a couple of years back, but I have never embraced it as a feasible concept. I find it kind of depressing actually. I live in the city and tiny living just does not appeal to me.

That just sounds like me, I felt very depressed back then when I had to live in a very, very small student's flat. Tiny rooms still make me feel very uncomfortable and I am glad I don't have to live in such a place anymore.
    But, and that might sound odd, I really like the Tiny Living pack and I have a couple of Sims living in such a lot (but my most important one is living in a bigger place).
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,470 Member
    LeucosiaX wrote: »

I really like the pack and have used every single item in it except for the Murphy bed. I don't like the potential death. Should I ever use it, it will be upgraded straight away to stop from being lethal. I like tiny homes for a single sim but I can understand it is not always as cozy in real life as it is in the sims.