Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

'The Sims multiplayer explained' 📻 Radio Times Podcast with Lyndsay Pearson

Radio Times interviewed Lyndsay Pearson, the vice president of franchise creative on The Sims 4 and its upcoming sequel, codenamed Project Rene.
Link to original article

SIMS-article-thumb-19079e6.jpg?quality=90&webp=true&resize=1500,1001

A few statements from the interview:

"We definitely want to introduce multiplayer," Pearson said on the podcast. "And not multiplayer in the big, scary 'jump in a world full of strangers' kind of way. But literally, how do you and your friends want to do some play together?

"And there's a lot of different flavours that could take, so we're exploring a lot of different spaces there."

"Because playing together can look like so many different things, right? Even our chat now, we've talked about, like, trivia games to fighting games to racing games, playing together and social can mean so many things."

"And so we're having a lot of fun exploring all those different opportunities, particularly within the context of The Sims, because it is still about these little characters, their little lives, and you helping guide them."

"So, what does that mean if you and I do that together? And how do we figure out how to make a little bit of that chaos, a little bit of that fun and a little bit of that positivity all come together in a way that feels Sims-y?"

Pearson also revealed that The Sims developers "talk about Animal Crossing all the time, because it is such a good example of my little space, my little island, but I can invite you over".

"And we've seen throughout the last few years of Animal Crossing, people inventing ways to play together that the game doesn't specifically support, but they've made up scavenger hunts or whatever, which is amazing."

"Or people who hosted talk shows on Animal Crossing, I think is incredible, right?"

She added: "We actually look at a lot of games that are doing multiplayer in clever ways, like Among Us even, which is this sort of mystery thing, but you have to talk about it and solve it."

To our suggestion that you could make a Sims-themed multiplayer horror game when one person is torturing their Sims and the other player is trying to rescue them, Pearson said: "I like your example of this horror game. But what is the Sims-y version of that?"

"What is the reason that, like, I could be trying to do something, I could be trying to get my Sim ready for a specific thing, and then you might be able to come in and mess it up somehow, or help somehow, right?"

"I think that's exactly the kind of feeling that will feel right for me playing with, like, my close friends."
d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨

Comments

• Options
    DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,279 Member
    Firstly, it's not a sequel if it is number 5 ...
    Secondly ... no.

I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,477 Member
    Secondly ... no.

Yes, it's the next-generation Sims game—number 5.

Unfortunately, whether we like it or not, the multiplayer bogeyman is coming.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,292 Member
    Secondly ... no.

I think fans need to accept it instead of assuming the worst . The game is also going to be free.
  • Options
    MillerMeteorMillerMeteor Posts: 26 Member
    By mentioning "Animal Crossing", I hope they're also referring to a comeback of city customization from an urban planning point of view, because that's something I really miss. We've lost a lot of control over the atmospheres we want to create out of the building surfaces.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited November 2023
    Ehhh...

what?

They can't even talk about what kind of multiplayer they want? Is it drop-in drop out? Is it co-op? Is it seamless multiplayer? hello?

I'm no programmer, but I'm pretty sure you need to decide these things pretty early in development?
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    edited November 2023
    @logion

For Sims 4 they decided very late that it won't be a multiplayer.

From wikipedia:
    'Development of The Sims 4 began as an online multiplayer title, but plans were shifted to a single-player experience following the negative launch reception of Maxis' SimCity in 2013.'

I think this is the feason for many 'issues' in Sims 4. Why we don't have open worlds, for example. And why the objects are so big and chunky. Because it had to fit for multiplayer and loading times had to be kept on a minimum.
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    logion wrote: »
    Ehhh...

what?

They can't even talk about what kind of multiplayer they want? Is it drop-in drop out? Is it co-op? Is it seamless multiplayer? hello?

I'm no programmer, but I'm pretty sure you need to decide these things pretty early in development?

It's not co op, there having an offline mode
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,020 Member
    Secondly ... no.

I think fans need to accept it instead of assuming the worst . The game is also going to be free.

Free schmee, what matters is game quality. TS4 has been less than wonderful during its ultra long life and 5 is going to be more complex. That does not give me a good feeling. Good thing I have an old XP machine that has no internet capability and the complete set of TS2 disks.
  • Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member
    Friends? LOL. :wink:

(I just never knew anyone else personally who play[ed] The Sims.)

Anyway, that's a lot of work to invest in multiplayer for just a few friends messing around, no??
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options
    RapidRabidRabbitRapidRabidRabbit Posts: 135 Member
    I’m still skeptical about multiplayer and it’s free to play aspect because I’m wary of microtransactions and requiring online connection. It also makes mod support a lot more difficult, so I’m even more hesitant.

That said, now that there’s so many life simulators coming out, I’m kind of tempted to care less about Rene’s development. If it’s amazing, that’s awesome, but if it flops, well there’s other competitors just itching to take its place. Maybe multiplayer will be what kills Rene and crowns InZoi/Paralives/Life By You as the king of life simulators, or maybe it won’t be that bad.

Either way as a consumer, now we’ll have options to cater to what we want in a life simulator.
  • Options
    DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,279 Member
    The Sims is not a multiplayer game. People's sims are far too precious. Take note of how things travel when people write stories that are along the lines of the Bachelorette, Next Top Model, etc like my late friend dsydk11 used to host. The guest sims from other people had their own custom skins, eyes, some of them default, custom outfits and they did not like Mary using their sims without any of those things while her game always used the low graphics. They got upset about it. Even though her stories were very popular and people loved the idea of their sims visiting and being promoted in her story contests.
    Sims is too personal. It will fail.
    It failed with Sim City 5. It failed with Sims 4. It failed with Sim Social, and Sim City Social. It will fail with Sims 5.
    For a fun multiplayer game, play a game that is multiplayer.
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • Options
    The Sims is not a multiplayer game. People's sims are far too precious. Take note of how things travel when people write stories that are along the lines of the Bachelorette, Next Top Model, etc like my late friend dsydk11 used to host. The guest sims from other people had their own custom skins, eyes, some of them default, custom outfits and they did not like Mary using their sims without any of those things while her game always used the low graphics. They got upset about it. Even though her stories were very popular and people loved the idea of their sims visiting and being promoted in her story contests.
    It failed with Sim City 5. It failed with Sims 4. It failed with Sim Social, and Sim City Social. It will fail with Sims 5.

LifeByYou and Paralives will both be 100% single-player. Sims 5 and Inzoi will both have multiplayer elements.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options

Accept they are people who like multiplayer.Again this an optional multiplayer mode.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,447 Member
    I will never let anybody into my game.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,368 Member
    I would, but the amount of lore and houserules they'd bave to memorize before they get admitted to join would probably scare away most appliccants, lol. With a bunch of likeminded storytellers and careful preparations a multiplayer event could probably be awesome. But it's nothing I'd want to host or join on a daily basis.
    Currently playing: Castaway Challenge
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 862 Member
    edited November 2023
    I don't think it's about accepting whether people are into multi player or not haha. It seems mostly just concerning that they hopefully don't spend most of their time, efforts, and budget on a feature that a lot, not all, but a huge majority, of the sims community will not want to even touch. Especially people who only ever play/like TS4. A lot of those players love story telling, being in full control, and making machinimas. Multi-player is for specific groups of people, and one of them being a huge chunk is literally EA game changers/content creators who will prob make content with other creators and have chaos. But a lot of everyday simmers who love The Sims for its personal single-player experience to escape the world will most likely not enjoy or want multi-player. Most people I see talk about it say they don't even know any people IRL who play the sims like they do.

It feels kind of alienating to make multi-player seem like such a huge and exciting feature, when a big part of the sims community is about and prefers playing alone and sharing those stories with others online via video, screen shots, live stream, etc. Idk, I just feel like they are trying to tap into something that no one has particularly been begging for, even if some do want it or are curious about it haha.
  • Options
    SimSylSimSyl Posts: 17 Member
    Yes, it's not about accepting that there are people who like multiplayer. I'm perfectly okay with that reality, and I don't even care that much that TS5 will have multiplayer, it just simply doesn't sound like a good idea. Most people who play this game are very particular about what they do with their sims and how storylines go, so I don't see this being a success (unless you have a situation of most players not being online and checking features, and thus they buy the game without being aware of this fact). It just seems like an attempt at creating a very bare bones structure for people to sorta play with and then to add a bunch of microtransactions into it.

I think it's also of note that supposedly they'll keep TS4 up and running, with new DLC being added into it. This tells me they are aware of the fact that most people won't care for multiplayer. They're just hoping to be wrong because multiplayer gives them more leeway to make even more money.
  • Options
    Yeah i totally agree. Multiplayer could possibly bring in a new audience from a different targeted market, which could = more profit in their eyes, but they know sims 4 players most like won’t like it so are going to profit off of it for longer while they maybe see well project Rene does.

I think it’s kind of a bad move IMO because they’ve already distanced many players who loved previous games with TS4s lack of gameplay depth compared to the previous iterations, but adding an entirely new online feature could be the boiling point for many, who may end supporting The Sims new content and stick with the old games that they love.

It is sad to see how EA has been treating the franchise over the past decade. What is a beloved game to many is just another product in the shelf to help them rack in fast cash and to please shareholders :'(
  • Options
    cholesterolcholesterol Posts: 21 Member
    Thanks I hate it.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited November 2023
    Rather or not we like it I think it's unrealistic to expect a company not to want to advance or keep up with modern trends.
    I really don't like multiplayer games (besides roblox) but the truth is, that's what is popular outside of sims. Them trying a multiplayer and single player is their way of getting an even bigger audience. The idea is that the long time single players will be happy and all of the multiplaying roblox audience will me happy. If they are able to successfully please both that's a HUGE audience.
    They are looking at it from a business prospective.
    In my opinion this could be either a big hit or a miss for me. I'm curious to see how exactly they pull it off. And the fact that they want it to work even on mobile is still a bit worrying.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    never said we don't expect it haha, it's just if they know their audience truly I feel like they wouldn't be talking up multiplayer as much since thats not the feature a lot of players would be interested in is all. That to me, looking at your current target audience, is looking through the lens of a business perspective! Also , yes i said above that they were using multi-player as a way to reach a new audience haha. I agree that them making it work on mobile is quite worrying :|
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

The Sims Team already stated that the Sims 4 will get DLC for a very long time and afaik they never called Project Rene 'The Sims 5'.

They aim for new players. Players who want multiplayer.
    And the players who don't want it can play The Sims 4 which won't get abandoned.

The following screenshot I took from the Behind the Sims on youtube where Mersea interviewed Lyndsay Pearson, the vice president of franchise creative on The Sims 4 and its upcoming sequel, codenamed Project Rene.
    Project Rene will coexist with other Sims games.
    And it will grow over time. I think they will see how it goes.
    If the players like it they will keep going and if not maybe start with singleplayer Sims 5, if the community isn't elsewhere until then 😱
    58043e71cd246e4aa435a8cc87c7c06fd6f75144.pnj
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Lenny_Ogg wrote: »

If the players like it they will keep going and if not maybe start with singleplayer Sims 5

Project Rene is the single-player Sims 5 - whether they call it that or not - but it also has some multiplayer elements. It's not like if Project Rene fails, they will scrap and make Sims 5. Project Rene is the "next-generation" Sims game, as the team has repeatedly stated. However, unlike the launches of Sims 2, 3, and 4, Project Rene is not a hard reset. They are staggering the launch with the continued support of Sims 4. This is most likely due to the immediate zero return-on-investment that comes with a totally free Project Rene launch.

Post edited by simmerorigin on
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 894 Member
    The only saving thing I can see is that it is free to play the base, therefore I will try it, but I am not holding out hopes for it to be enjoyable to me, EA has ruined to many single player franchises for me to think it won't be the same for project Renee. If I can't do everything I can do now, like modding the game, using cheat codes and playing offline with a good fleshed out game, I won't be contributing to supporting Renee. If the single player part of the game suffers in any way because of Multiplayer then they have lost me and I will be looking elsewhere.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Ehhh...

what?

Well she did say Animal Crossing. That game is an open ended social sim so multiplayer is really whatever you make it.