Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Where do you store your butlers?

Do you give them a normal bedroom? I usually end up building them a little bedroom suite in the basement. Which seems kind of sad and then I feel guilty. It's quite the rollercoaster.

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,899 Member
    I think I've only had one butler in game. He had a bed, bath, and sitting room in the basement.
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

Albert is DEATH's butler/servant and the only butler in my game so of course we cherish and appreciate him and gave him his own room.
    He is part of the household so I don't know if that counts ^^'
    But I even built a room for the janitor at the high school 👩‍🔧
    d2a1d0d74e84ab72aabcf8f4a769054903d8c50c.jpg
    2a1a1ceb4236ff7a5e45a01e53f4d8a5a3fb4bd5.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    LuvtehGeeksLuvtehGeeks Posts: 1,663 Member
    On the main floor right next to the nursery
    graphics-kisses-hugs-822976.gif
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 510 Member
    My one and only butler is with the Bailey-Moons and is also in the basement :/ But the basement is also the place where the Bailey-Moons put everything they want to spend their money on but have nowhere else to store, so it's quite well used.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,392 Member
    The only butler room I have in my game is a nicely done bedroom in the basement near the nectar cellar and museum dungeon. Has en suite bathroom and TV and apart from not having any windows it's clean and comfortable. The other option would have been a room in the tower, but it would be much smaller and have a bunk bed instead of a double bed and no en-suite bathroom.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    My Sims' butler has a normal room near the other bedrooms (so not in the basement). I didn't put much thought into it, but she's a great butler so I may need to fix it up a bit. I wouldn't put my butler in the basement. :/
    Ub4gofE.jpg
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Unless the house is large enough, all spare rooms end up in an attic space or basement. This includes butlers and grandparents.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,911 Member
    edited October 2023
    The Fengs in my San Myshuno game are the only family I've really played with a butler.

Butler's room in the penthouse
    penthouse-butler-room.png

It's just off the kitchen. One of those doors on the left leads to a bathroom, the other to the butler's room
    v-gives-ben-back-wages.png

Before the penthouse, they were in their original apartment. I made a butler bedroom by taking some space away from the enormous first-floor bathroom and the enormous kitchen. I don't have pictures, but it was close to both the kitchen and the front door.

I don't often use basements as living space.

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,968 Member
    edited October 2023
    reminds me I have yet to hire actual butler in ts4
    (since I am avoiding randomized sims like plague)
    but I think it mostly depends on house

sometimes spare bedroom in main floors but often attic or basement cause thats the only space left
    and sometimes they get their own servants hall too all downton abbey
    preferably i do want to keep them close to where they work though
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 960 Member
    edited October 2023
    In a bed somewhere in the home where they work.

Edit: This is from Edith Ward's resident:
    10_10_21.png
    Post edited by BoergeAarg61 on
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 440 Member
    The last time I had a family with a butler, she had small studio apartment on the second floor of the mansion. It had a kitchen and an exterior entrance in addition to access to the main house through the laundry room. For the curious, that mansion is in my catalogue (Sapphire Shores Mansion 2).
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,685 Member
    I used those butlers in the past, they mostly got 2x6 bedrooms. Nowadays my nobility have live-in butlers and cooks, meaning they are sims from my game who studied at the Butler Academy and often have a full servant section near the kitchen. Smaller manors have just a butler, while larger estates might have up to 3 servants. The royal palace has too many servants for the household limit, so I constantly need to pretend they are all live-in sims :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I’ve “stored” (lol) my butler in the basement more times than not. My most recent butler, employed by Malcolm Landgraab, got a spare bedroom next to the laundry room so that worked out better. Then he won the lottery and I figured he probably wouldn’t continue on as butler, so I moved him out. It’s too bad, too, because he was a really great butler.
  • Options
    UniqueKhaosUniqueKhaos Posts: 470 Member
    I usually store them at the back of the pantry near the canned goods. But the only one currently in my game works for the Garcia-Perez family and has a bedroom with en suite bathroom on the first floor of the house, it’s a decently sized room but I need to redecorate it at some point.
  • Options
    HaymitzHaymitz Posts: 27 Member
    I treat them well, giving them a nice bedroom and also bathroom.

But whenever I switch households, the butler changes when I return to the household. Does that happen with anyone else? It's annoying 😠
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    In the closet with a flashlight, coloring book and some sort of easy to clean snack.

Maybe a juice box if they are good. :D
    Seriously though, they get a room somewhere with the family. :p
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,044 Member
    edited October 2023
    In my decades save, I'm currently in 1907, so almost all rich families have a live in housemaid (aka butler), and I've generally arranged small rooms for them next to the kitchen. They room their bed a, nightstand and a dresser basically. In one of the newest houses it's in the attic and the maid there also have a bathroom and small sitting room area for herself, and there are windows in that attic too, so she's not in the dark.

@Heymitz
    Haymitz wrote: »
    But whenever I switch households, the butler changes when I return to the household. Does that happen with anyone else? It's annoying 😠

Yes, this is regular. Unfortunately. The game apparently cannot handle multiple households with butlers, they will switch every time. That's why only my main family now actually have a butler, the others have "household members" that are dressed like housemaids but that I control. I prefer the butler, but it's very, very, clear to me that the game can only handle one butler per save and I got tired of having to fight to get Dolly back every single time.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    @JAL How do you manage to get Dolly back? Can you choose from a list like a bartender, for example?
    (Sorry if this is a dumb question. I never had an ingame butler, so I know nothing about them.)
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 552 Member
    edited October 2023
    @Lenny_Ogg That would be so convenient, but no. You have to fire the butler and order a new one over and over again, until the game randomly assigns Dolly to your household again.

When it comes to boarding my butlers, I'm not half so thoughtful as the rest of you. I just plop a bed in a corner somewhere and that's where the butler sleeps. I've had a bunk bed in the home gym, an extra bed in the nursery or even a bed in a corner of a hallway.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    @Eleri Ah! Thank you :) Oh my, I mean when you play a while with a butler, you get used to them and then there is someone else suddenly. How annoying having new people in the house (and maybe even some with the kleptomanic trait like the ranch hand in the other thread). This should really be solved better. I'll stick with my in-household butler then. At least the teachers stayed the same in my save. I read from other players they even died - in class o.o
  • Options
    @Lenny_Ogg Like @Eleri said, there is no way to get her back other than firing the others and hoping for the best until she's back. There are some things you can do to keep her in the first place though, that I've learnt the hard way:
    • Only have one butler in the save, let all other butlers/housemaids be part of the household.
    • If you (like me) use the mod "control any sim" in order to sometimes control the butler when you want them to do something specific, never ever forget to let go of control before exiting the household (she will go to work and not return the next time you load)
    • Likewise, do not use control any sim at 6am in the morning as she again will be triggered to go to work and leave the household.

But I do agree that it would be so much nicer if we could choose our own butler, and if the game could keep track of several ones. I would also love if you could assign them specific tasks, like cook a certain dish rather than just 'a meal' or tell them to clean that particular sink rather than 'a dirty object'. Not to mention set a schedule for them so they got up in time to make breakfast in the morning.
  • Options
    SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    For my current family, I built a little shed in the backyard for their butler. They unexpectedly had triplets so there isn’t any room in the house for the butler.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    @JAL Ah thank you! I'll keep that in mind should I ever hire a butler. I didn't even know that you have to tell them what to do. I thought they'd do the chores autonoumously ^^ Then it's really easier for me to have a butler as a household member. I don't use mods but when I cheat their needs they are easy to handle. Plus household members are easier to control for the story 🎬
    3809468509388ae528e438f581d8f97699b09154.jpg
    (Bonehilda is not a maid in my game, she's a free Sim 💀 TMI: The guy with the red eyes is adult Vlad and the one to the left in the brown shirt adult Jack 😊)
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,449 Member
    It's been very long since I used butlers. I deleted the save years ago, but I gave the last butler a medium size house in the back garden so they would have their own private space to relax when off work. They had their own living room, bedroom, bathroom and kitchen.
  • Options
    @Lenny_Ogg They do chores autonomously, but no cooking unless you tell them to, and then you can't tell them what to cook, just to cook and for how many. It can lead to some interesting meals at times. Even though they are autonomous, sometimes I want to direct them to a specific task when it suits me, and then I use "control any sim" to do so. Especially in the morning when I want breakfast on the table for the family in good time.