Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should I Edit the Text of my Completed Story Arc?

Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
I finished my first story arc, and I have plans to go back and revisit older chapters to reformat them so that text aligns with their corresponding pictures.

Since I will be editing older chapters for the purpose of making things easier to read, I was wondering if I should edit the text too.

For those that have been following the discussion in my “What are your Merfolk doing today thread?” I ended up sharing a ton of Merfolk Lore. While sharing that lore, I feel like I also ended up refining the lore for my own story.

Depending on the poll results, I will move forward based on what I think is best for my story.

If I edit the text, one of the things I’m debating on will be adding to the story so that older chapters can add something new for those that choose to reread the older chapters.

I’m also aware that some readers don’t want to go back and reread what they already read. I do want to hear your thoughts on that too.

However, since this poll involves editing simlit, I was hoping to get feedback from both simlit writers and simlit readers. I want to know what you think about going back and editing the text of simlit after it was posted.

Format The Chapters Only

For this option, it’s pretty simple. I’m just going to arrange the pictures to align with the text. I found a style that works for me, and I’m going to do technical edits to make sure all the chapters share that same style.

Format the Chapters and Edit the Text

This option will be for anyone that thinks it’s worth going back to a finished story arc and do a quick grammar check while editing the chapter. This kind of edit won’t change the meaning of the text, but the spelling/ grammar check should make what is said easier to read and understand.

Format the Chapter and Add Depth to the Text

This would involve a bit more than just rearranging pictures. This is the option to select if you want to reread older chapters and have something new added to the story. For a writer, you might’ve thought of something after the fact and want to add it to the story. The idea of adding depth should not be confused with completely changing the story being told. The idea is to just revisit the weaker parts of the story and give them something extra that enhances the chapter and adds something new for people rereading the chapter.

Format the Chapters and Add to the Text

This is just a scaled down version of the previous option, and it’s more of a situation where text is added if, and only if, it is absolutely something that is needed.

While I kind of expanded on the poll options others might have a different interpretation of the poll option they select. Feel free to explain that in the discussion.

The most important part of this poll is to help simlit writers and readers come together and find whatever helps writers write better and readers enjoy what is written.

Should I Edit the Text of my Completed Story Arc? 12 votes

Format the Chapters Only
16%
simgirl1010luciusstorm 2 votes
Format the Chapters and Edit the Text
50%
GalacticGalhaneulLyrieEnkiSchmidtDaepheneHavenRose 6 votes
Format the Chapters and Add Depth to the Text
25%
Lenny_OggmusteniSERVERFRA 3 votes
Format the Chapters and Add to the Text
8%