Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Could We Be Getting A Redesigned Managed Worlds Screen?

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Hopefully this means we will be able to live in the destination worlds.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    What excites me most is that the team is still exploring updates to enhance our gameplay.
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 718 Member
    edited August 2023
    What excites me most is that the team is still exploring updates to enhance our gameplay.

My prediction is that Sims 5 will be released after Windows changes so much that the old way of playing Sims will be impossible. I think Sims 4 will last until that change in Windows. I think we will only accept the changes that I expect in Sims 5 when it is all that is possible on Windows. I don't think even EA knows when they will release Sims 5. I think everything is dependent on Windows.

I think Sims 4 has many more updates coming.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

My prediction is that Sims 5 will be released after Windows changes so much that the old way of playing Sims will be impossible. I think Sims 4 will last until that change in Windows. I think we will only accept the changes that I expect in Sims 5 when it is all that is possible on Windows. I don't think even EA knows when they will release Sims 5. I think everything is dependent on Windows.

Windows is always backwards compatible and I've read on these forums that there are some people still playing TS4 on Windows 7. It will have to be some pretty big changes for Sims 4 to not run on next iteration of Windows whenever that will be.
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited August 2023
    I really hope this means you'll be able to manage things like holidays and clubs from the manage world screen and perhaps that the worlds are grouped together after which worlds they're close to.

If I really allow myself to dream, I'd go for editing weather and holidays for each world individually if I want, but somehow I doubt it. Probably too big a change to make. That's also my belief when it comes to making destination worlds residential or add swimmable water to each world. I just don't think we'll ever get that, though I'd happily be proven wrong.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,856 Member

I'm with you. For all its flaws I still love this iteration and I'm in no hurry to move on. It's far from perfect but I've learned how to work around the flaws and I hope the end is still a long way off. I'm looking forward to several more years of new content.

As far as computers go I'm still waiting to hear what EA's plans are regarding Macs and Apple's proprietary M1 processor. Some newer games will not work on my three year old computer because it has an Intel processor. If that's where EA is headed Mac Simmers need to know well in advance so that those of us in this predicament can start saving for a new computer. For me it's not the saving up that's the problem, it's that my computer is custom spec'd with a big graphics card, faster processor, and loads of memory. It's not an off the shelf machine from a big box store. I bought it in 2020 and it took two months to have it built and shipped. When the time comes to replace this one for whatever reason I'm going the custom spec route again so if EA is going to fully embrace this path I don't want to be locked out of my game while I wait for a new computer to arrive and I know I'm not alone. I'm sure there are lots of Mac players with older machines who will get caught in this too. EA doesn't have to reveal anything major about development to simply say, yes you must have a Mac with the Apple chipset, or no, we will be supporting both Apple and Intel chips. And it's not just TS5/Rene, it's the EA App which, thankfully, still hasn't dropped for Mac Simmers. Is this the reason why we're still using Origin? Because EA is still trying to figure how this Apple chipset works?
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    I would love a redesign of the world selection screen. I’m thinking a 3D globe of SimEarth/SimNation with Sixam/Batuu in space somewhere off to one side. Would give the worlds a bit of lore which I feel we need more of. The Sims themselves I can give my own lore to but I want to know where places are in relation to each other! I wish the team would also give us lore for individual cities e.g. what’s the name of the river in San Myshuno called? What’s the name of the bridge in San Sequoia? What’s the name of the boat that passes through Willow Creek etc?

I could just name them myself but I would prefer official names please!
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,092 Member
    I hope they can add more lots to worlds like Newcrest where there's obviously room for a couple more lots on the map in that word.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I really hope that it will be possible for residential lots in Granite Falls, Seladorada, Hidden Worlds & Special Lots.
    Also I really hope that it will be possible to organize the Worlds in the World Menu Screen.🌍🌔🌒🪐
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    I can't wait! Guessing this will be the big part of the September update? Surprised the roadmap didn't mention this.
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »

Windows is always backwards compatible and I've read on these forums that there are some people still playing TS4 on Windows 7. It will have to be some pretty big changes for Sims 4 to not run on next iteration of Windows whenever that will be.

Yes, it has been, but I don't think versions will be the real issue. I think Windows will follow a path similar to Flash that will be done against our will for "security" reasons. Flash was shutdown overnight, no matter what version of Windows you were using. I think Windows will eventually be some type of a subscription only option, maybe something like Office 365. Or maybe something similar to Chromebooks. Something "secure" that Microsoft can force updates more easily.

I think Sims 5 is going to be something very different from Sims 4. And I think both Sims 3 and Sims 4 might become unplayable at the same time, except for people with Sims 3 disks that can play on a computer that is offline.

But I don't want to get too offtopic. My only reasons to discuss this is an explanation for when I expect Sims 4 updated to end. The OP discussed Sims 4 still having major updates planned. I expect ongoing major exciting updates for quite a while yet. For as long as I don't see any warnings for a major change in Windows. When we start hearing about changes in Windows is when I expect to start hearing more chatter about Sims 5 instead of updates and expansions to Sims 4.

• Options
    RapidRabidRabbitRapidRabidRabbit Posts: 134 Member

I hope so too! Granite Falls is soooo gorgeous and I hate how I can’t have my sims permanently live there and enjoy the scenery. I only bought the pack for the world, so I’d like to be able to actually enjoy it all the time instead of just on vacation.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    Wouldn’t it be grand if an updated Manage World screen was somehow interlinked with a new Sims 4 World Editor? It would indeed.
    I haven’t given up on my biggest TS4 dream yet. 💫

• Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    I'm hoping that more blank worlds will be added-worlds without those annoying and pointless decor buildings. It would be nice if we could get blank worlds of Willow Creek,Brindleton Bay,and the other worlds so we can have any style of building we want to. We wouldn't have to be restricted to a certain building style.

Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options

I hope so too! Granite Falls is soooo gorgeous and I hate how I can’t have my sims permanently live there and enjoy the scenery. I only bought the pack for the world, so I’d like to be able to actually enjoy it all the time instead of just on vacation.

I have been only playing Sims 3 lately. Living in Granite Falls (without needing to use a mod to do that) might convince me to play in Sims 4 again.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited August 2023

Yes, it has been, but I don't think versions will be the real issue. I think Windows will follow a path similar to Flash that will be done against our will for "security" reasons. Flash was shutdown overnight, no matter what version of Windows you were using. I think Windows will eventually be some type of a subscription only option, maybe something like Office 365. Or maybe something similar to Chromebooks. Something "secure" that Microsoft can force updates more easily.

I think Sims 5 is going to be something very different from Sims 4. And I think both Sims 3 and Sims 4 might become unplayable at the same time, except for people with Sims 3 disks that can play on a computer that is offline.

But I don't want to get too offtopic. My only reasons to discuss this is an explanation for when I expect Sims 4 updated to end. The OP discussed Sims 4 still having major updates planned. I expect ongoing major exciting updates for quite a while yet. For as long as I don't see any warnings for a major change in Windows. When we start hearing about changes in Windows is when I expect to start hearing more chatter about Sims 5 instead of updates and expansions to Sims 4.

That's a very grimm look into the future. I realise sims games can't go on forever but I hope they won't just pull the plug on sims 4 when I see how sims 3 is still available and playable at this moment.

As for the actual world update, I hope we can finally have residential lots in granite falls and selvadorada. A option to change the world names would also be a nice touch.

I am a bit concerned about the mention of seven different playstyles in the job description. I hope this doesn't lead to less freedom because EA expects us to fall perfectly within one playstyle. For example I like supernatural content and families, while EA will probably consider this to be too different playstyles.
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the last time the devs were excited about a feature that wasn’t a big feature and no one asked for it/unexpected was first person camera. I think it’s going to be something similar (in terms of scale) to that - cool to have in the game and cool that they managed to pull it off technically but no Simmer really asked for it/uses it much?

I dunno. Just speculation…
  • Options
    Atreya33 wrote: »

That's a very grimm look into the future. I realise sims games can't go on forever but I hope they won't just pull the plug on sims 4 when I see how sims 3 is still available and playable at this moment.

I don't like being grim, but for the past few years Microsoft has been crippling Windows more and more. I used Linux for awhile, but ... some really grim stuff happened there too. Apple and Google are no innocents either. EA will not be the one that chooses to pull the plug, even though it will appear that way. I cannot imagine the losses that they are suffering, too. EA will offer us the scraps that they can salvage mixed with some mindblowing new things that will soften the sting of our losses. We will always have something nice to play with! We just won't have what we had. In the meantime, we have several amazing games to play! I am enjoying them while I can.

• Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited August 2023
    I hope that we can finally delete lots while in the Manage World screen
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    I'm not sure what they can do because I don't think they can redesign the game too much without risking old save files to stop working for people.

I would really like to see a world editor with the option to add and remove lots but I don't think that's possible...

I kinda need a larger update that breathes new life into the game at this point.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    I am a bit concerned about the mention of seven different playstyles in the job description. I hope this doesn't lead to less freedom because EA expects us to fall perfectly within one playstyle. For example I like supernatural content and families, while EA will probably consider this to be too different playstyles.

I hadn't noticed the seven player styles before, but it got me intrigued. I believe you are right with the occult & family style players being two different ones (even if they of course can be combined).

My guess (entirely without substance behind it but my own imagination):
    1. Family players
    2. Occult players
    3. Builders
    4. Cas-creators
    5. Premade-lore players
    6. Scenario players or Challenge players
    7. History players

But then again there could be so many others. I am fairly certain of the Builders being one, and one thing builders have been requesting is a way to clear the worlds of prebuilds. So hopefully that will be addressed. Both builders and premade-lore players want to get out of the obligatory CAS-start. Could we hope that means that the game will open in world view and that you from there can go into CAS if you want to (without choosing a world to go into first)?

I don't think a redesign of the World overview will mean changes to the worlds themselves, such as making them residential, or getting more worlds for free. I'd love to be wrong, but I just don't believe it or the worlds themselves would be mentioned.

EDIT: I cannot believe I forgot rotational players! But then again, so does EA all the time. Maybe change history players to rotational players?
    Post edited by JAL on
  • Options
    KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 442 Member
    GracieO312 wrote: »
    Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the last time the devs were excited about a feature that wasn’t a big feature and no one asked for it/unexpected was first person camera. I think it’s going to be something similar (in terms of scale) to that - cool to have in the game and cool that they managed to pull it off technically but no Simmer really asked for it/uses it much?

I dunno. Just speculation…

I live in first person camera. I play rotationally around 20 households, all in a giant extended family. I go to a house, put it in first person, and just "be" them, hitting space bar to rotate around the family members. It's so leisurely. Just last night I was watching my teen in high school in first person. So fun.
  • Options
    DreamingAboutBREADDreamingAboutBREAD Posts: 9 New Member
    > @CAPTAIN_NXR7 said:
    > Wouldn’t it be grand if an updated Manage World screen was somehow interlinked with a new Sims 4 World Editor? It would indeed.
    > I haven’t given up on my biggest TS4 dream yet. 💫

As soon as i saw this i started a petition. we should all get together and show ea we NEED CAW OR MORE BG WORLDS!!!!

https://www.change.org/p/sims-4-needs-either-create-a-world-or-more-basegame-worlds/dashboard?source_location=user_profile_started#petition-insights-title
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited August 2023
    JAL wrote: »

I hadn't noticed the seven player styles before, but it got me intrigued. I believe you are right with the occult & family style players being two different ones (even if they of course can be combined).

My guess (entirely without substance behind it but my own imagination):
    1. Family players
    2. Occult players
    3. Builders
    4. Cas-creators
    5. Premade-lore players
    6. Scenario players or Challenge players
    7. History players

But then again there could be so many others. I am fairly certain of the Builders being one, and one thing builders have been requesting is a way to clear the worlds of prebuilds. So hopefully that will be addressed. Both builders and premade-lore players want to get out of the obligatory CAS-start. Could we hope that means that the game will open in world view and that you from there can go into CAS if you want to (without choosing a world to go into first)?

I don't think a redesign of the World overview will mean changes to the worlds themselves, such as making them residential, or getting more worlds for free. I'd love to be wrong, but I just don't believe it or the worlds themselves would be mentioned.

EDIT: I cannot believe I forgot rotational players! But then again, so does EA all the time. Maybe change history players to rotational players?

I wondered about those 7 playstyles too, The Sims Wiki lists 4 playstyles which sounds likely that EA/Maxis might consider:

Builder (spends a lot of time building the world and their neighborhoods)
    Achiever (tries to achieve aspirations, careers, goals etc.)
    Experimenter (tries different ways to play the game, scenario, challenges, experiments with different sims with traits)
    Storyteller (sets up everything in the game to their preferred liking, often with a story in mind).

If I had to guess three more playstyles then my guesses would probably be the following:

Player, (general player, plays a bit of everything from all playstyles, might prefer families, single sims, occult sims)
    Long time-player (prefers to play their saves for a long time, often generational and rotational)
    Creator (similar to builder but likes to spend time with other things like CAS and adding things created by other people to their game through the gallery and cc.)
  • Options
    @logion Interesting, and yes, those sound logical. I actually like the description of the four, they cover a lot.