Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else finding MOO to be necessary?

I've never liked using MOO. In the past it could cause a lot of problems, so I just never used it unless there was some error that necessitated it, like a stuck Sim. Now, it doesn't cause as many issues, but I still would rather not use it. I never lost that wariness I developed with Sims 2. I only used it a handful of times on builds in the past with Sims 4, and it was on things like placing a curtain on an angled wall before they fixed that issue. I definitely didn't use it on items Sims actually interacted with.

But I'm finding that now it seems like they are counting on us to use it. I have all these plants and clutter now, but I can hardly place anything without MOO. Plants can't be placed close to walls, furniture, or each other. Clutter items can't actually be cluttered because you can only put a couple items on a table or counter (and they will be really far apart). It's tedious trying to fill shelves because you have to go through everything trying to find things that fit and fit together. And Zeus forbid you ever realize you need to adjust a wall, fence, or even other objects around the house; half the little items you placed with MOO and several items near them will disappear.

I recently had to use MOO to place a curved couch close to the curved wall. Now, I could have left it halfway across the room or used a small straight couch. But, shouldn't a curved couch go near a curved wall?

Anyone else finding that they just can't make things look nice without it anymore?

Gallery ID: LadyGray01

Comments

• Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    I must say I use the alt key a lot. Its the only way I can shift plants closer to where I want them, or beds and chest of draws away ftom curtains to prevent the cutting into furniture issue. Not so much move objects though.
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 848 Member
    I've honestly always found MOO necessary in order to clutter surfaces the way I want. But like @mcrudd said when it comes to moving things like end tables closer to couches and beds, plants closer to each other and the wall, and furniture away from curtains, alt is sometimes all you need to make it work.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,449 Member
    I have always found MOO to be necessary but for things like being able to place a doorway next to a staircase or a wall lamp attached to something other than a wall. I don't bother too much with clutter as my sims collect enough clutter items without me adding to it, but I agree that it's annoying not being able to actually have cluttered surfaces. Like the wall shelves only take 5 neatly lined up jars of canned produce when in reality at least 12 would fit there. I try no to bother with shelves too much, because they are useless for storage.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,697 Member
    I never use MOO for decorating purposes, only if I build something out-of-this-world ... I always use the Alt off-grid though, it works for furniture and sometimes even on surfaces.

What stuck me is that way too many EA deco objects have a way to large "footprint". Some rather small objects needs a full spot on a table. I have lots of CC deco stuff, and many of those can be placed much more freely, even without the MOO. I think EA should have removed the "radius", allowing for us to decide how close we want to place things to a wall or to the next object. If we WANT two objects to bleed into each other, well - let us!
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    To each their own, I’ve never used MOO and have no problems without it 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,983 Member
    I’ve never used it either.
  • Options
    JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    Initially I manage to get by without it but often have to enable it when a prohibited placement of something just doesn't make sense. When modifying something already in the game or something from the gallery I try to remember to enable MOO first because I've often seen a major chunk just disappear and end up having to start over.
    The cake is a lie
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I use alt placement a lot now that I know it exists.I use MOO to put those huge stuffed animals in corners. That's about all I use it for.😂
  • Options
    PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    When it comes to clutter and plants, I won't go without MOO. Also with curtains and things. I don't use it for interactive though because I always figured that would cause problems.

But yeah, I swear by MOO. Otherwise, as you said, clutter isn't clutter and flower beds look horrible. I wish it was just a toggle like auto-counters and auto-sofas. Typing by controller is very annoying.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited February 2023
    I've always used MOO or alt-placed things. I've never built anything without it and never had issues in Sims 4 or Sims 3.
  • Options
    SanniSilliSanniSilli Posts: 165 Member
    I used to use it only for decor items, and try to use alt with everything sims can interact with.

But yes I have noticed there have been need to enable it more for interactable furniture etc. recently. Mostly in situations where (at least in my mind) I should be able to put something somewhere but the game won't allow me. Like I'm trying to put something on a wall but the game says "this item needs a wall". Or there is a large empty part in the room but everything I put there turns red and can't place it there even I can't see anything that would be on the way... Might be bugs or then something I just can't figure out, but yes I have started to MOO more.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,043 Member
    I moomoo and alt place heck a ton I just test my builds and adjust if i notice i've made too tight a fit or i see something that annoys me like floating or clipping i forgot to fix

then again I don't really like to clutter my builds as I also have rather minimal tastes irl so yeah that might be why i have no problems with it
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited February 2023
    I try to build as much as I can without. I do use MOO when it makes sense like placing a door next to a column. I try to turn it off after placing the item. I occasionally use it for clutter but after playing on a lower end pc for so long I have developed a habit not overcluttering builds. I add some items to give a room some personality but won't fill up everything. I try to avoid using moo on functional objects like beds, counters,...

What helps me with building is the F5 key. With pressing F5 once it turns on the option for objects to snap to a quarter tile instead of a half tile. It helps to place objects closer together without MOO, so less chance of making things unroutable. F5 also halves the vertical snap of objects like paintings to a wall without the use of moo or alt. Alt placing allows even more so I use that as well on occasion.
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,110 Member
    At first i thought this thread was about mooing like a cow!
  • Options
    Tiffers3383Tiffers3383 Posts: 3 New Member
    MOO is my go to!! The only thing that bumm's me out is once you activate cheat codes on console you can no longer get trophies.
  • Options
    CiralindeCiralinde Posts: 81 Member
    edited February 2023
    I use it all the time. I don't like too much clutter and decoration, but especially when creating a little storage space - putting a plant in a corner or the amount of space not making sense to me - it's too easy to solve it with MOO + alt.

I also frequently change size and use the keys to move items up or down to force them to be in spaces they couldn't be otherwise. Like on the fridge or on a wall shelf. I've only recently gotten the tool mod, it's like MOO for the advanced.

So sometimes I also try to put/layer furniture together to create something unique. As long it doesn't visually glitch.

It's nice to have a lot of creative freedom.
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    What helps me with building is the F5 key. With pressing F5 once it turns on the option for objects to snap to a quarter tile instead of a half tile. It helps to place objects closer together without MOO, so less chance of making things unroutable. F5 also halves the vertical snap of objects like paintings to a wall without the use of moo or alt. Alt placing allows even more so I use that as well on occasion.

I didn't know about this. Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    I use MOO quite a bit, much more than I did in the past. Placing clutter, plants, bedside tables, windows and doors, and coffee tables is so much easier with Moo. Frankly, I have never understood why bookcases, side tables, kitchen cabinets and the like, gave us so few slots to place clutter on. Especially when we play a Sim that collects everything there is in the game to collect. Display cases just don't cut it as those only allow two or three items per shelf and the collector may have fifty to a hundred collectibles to display. My collector Sims worked hard to find their treasures, and they deserve a way to be able to view and admire their collections. As for using MOO while decorating a Sims home, every bit of space in a home is precious. Especially when toddlers, kids, pets and adults need space to maneuver without blocking other Sims. And there is nothing worse than having to place a sofa in a way that will allow the entire family to sit down and watch the TV, but without MOO the sofa is almost sitting in the middle of the living room because I can't place the sofa or the TV stand flush against the walls, which robs the room of a lot of square footage. Discovering MOO opened up all kinds of possibilities in the way I build and decorate my Sims's homes. I don't load up every available tabletop or shelf with clutter, but I do like placing more than just two items on some surfaces.
  • Options
    CiralindeCiralinde Posts: 81 Member
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    I have never understood why bookcases, side tables, kitchen cabinets and the like, gave us so few slots to place clutter on. Especially when we play a Sim that collects everything there is in the game to collect. Display cases just don't cut it as those only allow two or three items per shelf and the collector may have fifty to a hundred collectibles to display.

It's criminal. I don't understand this either.

• Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 9,024 Member
    edited February 2023
    MOO is an essential tool for my builds. I'd be lost without it. As @mcrudd mentioned, I use it a lot to avoid clipping. It bugs me when I can see the leaves on the plant in the next room poking through the wall, or the tree outside coming through the roof or windows. Sometimes I want a picture, mirror or wall decoration to hang a little higher or lower, or I want to move an object slightly to make it centered. I have OCD and MOO is helpful in dealing with how that affects my builds.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I try to build as much as I can without. I do use MOO when it makes sense like placing a door next to a column. I try to turn it off after placing the item. I occasionally use it for clutter but after playing on a lower end pc for so long I have developed a habit not overcluttering builds. I add some items to give a room some personality but won't fill up everything. I try to avoid using moo on functional objects like beds, counters,...

I didn't know using F5 would do this! I must try this out soon.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 9,024 Member
    @Atreya33 @telemwill I didn't know about that F5 hack either. That's interesting and another tool to make use of. I'm still really particular about where an item is placed. Enough so that I don't see that one getting as much use as MOO, but new tips and tricks are always fun to experiment with.🙂
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I never understood why we can't just place objects closer together or close to a wall. I can't build without this cheat or else objects will just be akwardly sitting in the middle of the floor. 😆
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited February 2023
    I have MOO on all the time (Tmex's mod) because I use it so much. Plus the alt key, using 9 and 0 for up and down the walls, and using the F5 key too.... I use them all. Everywhere, all the time.

I couldn't live without them in my game. Just snapping stuff to the grid (or on slotted surfaces) leaves a place feeling too bare and 'unfinished' to me. I need a place to feel cozy and lived in, not necessarily cluttered up like crazy, just 'lived in'.

Especially when it comes to landscaping... only snapping plants and trees to the grid leaves a yard looking barren and unnatural. Placing plants and flowers closer together looks more natural to me. :)
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Question for those who use the raise or lower object height if you don’t mind, maybe MOO is part of the issue?
    Whenever I raise an object my game camera gets sent immediately into the sky. The object is raised but I’m left guessing if it’s at the level I want because I can’t see it. Does that happen to you guys too? Or is there a way to not have my camera sent to the sky
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,449 Member
    Question for those who use the raise or lower object height if you don’t mind, maybe MOO is part of the issue?
    Whenever I raise an object my game camera gets sent immediately into the sky. The object is raised but I’m left guessing if it’s at the level I want because I can’t see it. Does that happen to you guys too? Or is there a way to not have my camera sent to the sky

You need to press CTRL+9 or CTRL+0 and the camera stays steady that way.