Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wyrd Tales (updated Apr 24, '24)

Comments

• Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    Hi! I'll definitely keep reading either way, but most blog platforms make it hard to comment anonymously and/or loop in things like Google accounts without my always being aware, so I don't usually comment on blog stories.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,847 Member
    I don't think it would be a problem for me to keep up. I have a very small circle of sites that I visit so it shouldn't be too hard for me to add another one into the group. It might take me a bit of time to make it a habit to check regularly.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    So, loyal readers (I know there are at least three of you :) )... I find myself once again pondering the future of Wyrd Girls.

It's not a question of continuing the story, because I very much want to do that. I am wondering if I should continue the story here or shift over to a blog.

To me, the biggest virtue of staying here is you, my readers. I really appreciate your feedback and your support. There are also some forum features, like the Spoilers, which I find myself using as part of the narrative experience. Finally, while I find myself frequently chaffing at the Rated T restrictions, it does provide a narrative challenge. The biggest con of using the forums for me is that T rating... and, I'll be honest, my current frustrations with EA in general are also playing into this.

I think the biggest (maybe only?) virtue of going to the blog would be to throw off the T rating. It would give me more freedom to tell my story and to address some more mature topics head-on. The biggest con I see, is that I would risk losing you, my audience. There is also a risk that not being held to the T rating might make me sloppy... trading good storytelling for bad language and pictures. I'd like to think I can be better than that.

So, this is part where I ask for your feedback. Let me know what you think.

I would better appreciate it if you stayed right here. With your move to the Creative Corner, I've already fallen hopelessly behind. Should you switch over to a blog, without you at least posting a link to the update over here, I'm afraid I will miss out on the rest of your tale. And you're correct, many blogs don't allow for feedback.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,641 Member
    @mightysprite, @DaniRose2143 and @GalacticGal, thank you all.

Having slept on it, I think what I'm going to do is aim at finishing Miranda's teen years here (so disappointed the High School Years was, well so disappointing... it could have been great for this). I've got an arc (or two depending on how you count) sketched out in my head already which should take a little while to complete.

I think when she hits college, I'll jump over to a blog format. Maybe it says things about me, but I just can't see the college experience as being rated T. College is definitely rated M. However, I think I will also include abbreviated/edited updates here for those who can't/don't want to follow along with the blog version. That would give me the creative freedom to explore Miranda's college experience fully but still keep the forum version alive.

Now I have until Miranda finishes high school to figure out how to create a sig with a link to this would-be blog. :)
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • Options
    GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    So, loyal readers (I know there are at least three of you :) )... I find myself once again pondering the future of Wyrd Girls.

It's not a question of continuing the story, because I very much want to do that. I am wondering if I should continue the story here or shift over to a blog.

To me, the biggest virtue of staying here is you, my readers. I really appreciate your feedback and your support. There are also some forum features, like the Spoilers, which I find myself using as part of the narrative experience. Finally, while I find myself frequently chaffing at the Rated T restrictions, it does provide a narrative challenge. The biggest con of using the forums for me is that T rating... and, I'll be honest, my current frustrations with EA in general are also playing into this.

I think the biggest (maybe only?) virtue of going to the blog would be to throw off the T rating. It would give me more freedom to tell my story and to address some more mature topics head-on. The biggest con I see, is that I would risk losing you, my audience. There is also a risk that not being held to the T rating might make me sloppy... trading good storytelling for bad language and pictures. I'd like to think I can be better than that.

So, this is part where I ask for your feedback. Let me know what you think.

I'm still really enjoying this story. I like the convenience of reading it here and might lose track of it on a blog, unless you post each link to it here. But would that still affect your T rating? Based on what you are saying it sounds like you don't want to feel limited, and like you have the awareness as a writer to work on writing to the top of your intelligence and ability and not just "going blue" for shock value. That sounds like a good challenge in general, figuring out how to walk that line.
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • Options
    Jade47Jade47 Posts: 206 Member
    I've really enjoyed what I've read of this so far. Vlad is actually creepy and feels like a threat. Max reminds me so much of Lex Luthor and it's somehow funnier thinking he's been reduced to some kind of incompetent underling.
  • Options

Chapter 24 - Can You Have A Normal Summer Vacation?

"I got a tan," Miranda said.

Standing with Beth on Finchwick Green, the events of the past few weeks in Tartosa seemed to Miranda like another life.

"Wow, you sure did," Beth replied. "So, did you meet anyone?"

"Oh God," Miranda sighed. "How much time to do you have?"
    cOnhgQ7.png
    "So I'm standing there, on that bridge, thinking that I have to say exactly the right thing," Miranda gasped. "Like somehow there is some magic word I can say to get her back safely... and I actually know magic... but I'm just terrified."
    gHXuKs1.png

"Oh my God," Beth gasped. "What did you do?"

"I just said the first thing that came into my head," Miranda admitted, "and the next thing and the next. I kept talking until she started talking to me."

"But she's OK now?" Beth asked. "Because if this story doesn't have a happy ending, I'm biting you."
    aiSybWl.png

"Yeah," Miranda laughed, more out of nerves than humor. "She's OK. Her parents are, like, super-cool and totally supporting her. I think she's going to be fine."

"And you?" Beth asked.

"I'm..." Miranda started. "I don't know, I'm... OK, I guess."
    RNK4WBM.png

"Ok, so can you maybe have a normal summer vacation? Just once?" Beth demanded.

"Umm, define normal," Miranda puzzled.

"How about on that does not somehow involve ancient magic, supernatural wars, or life or death situations," Beth replied.
    AdMGu9w.png
    "OK, well, next week I'm flying with mom to Sulani for a location shoot on her latest movie," Miranda said. "That's normal right?"

"Let me get this straight," Beth blinked. "You just got back from a romantic paradise, where you fell in love, went to swanky gala and saved the girl. Now your flying out to a topical island paradise, with movie stars, to shoot a movie."
    jai5aP1.png

"Right, no magic or supernatural wars involved," Miranda said hopefully. "Very low risk of life or death situations."

"I give up," Beth laughed. "Bring me back a sea shell."
    pJwADbO.png
  • Options
    GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    Why do I get the feeling there are still going to be magic and supernatural wars? LOL
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • Options
    @luciusstorm Low risk of life and death situations is a bold statement to make about a place with an active volcano and sharks. I hope everyone will make it home safely.🙂
  • Options
    @luciusstorm Loved it. Loved the humor. Especially loved this line: "Because if this story doesn't have a happy ending, I'm biting you."
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options

Chapter 25 - A Diva Scorned

Several weeks earlier, in the wake of the Tartosa Charity Gala...

Judith Ward, queen of the silver screen, swept to her palatial mansion, having graced the waiting paparazzi with her trademark disdainful sneer. Let no one question that Judith Ward, legend of the acting community, was totally composed, confident and in control.
    uFUrNNz.png
    Even when that little... musician... had stolen her Gala out from under her.
    vYQUVHY.png

Worse, it had been a success! That wretched little Raven Witch had even managed to smooth over what should have been a horribly scandalous scene between Representative Elderberry and that blasted novelist!

And now... now...
    bvHl3ow.png

"Carruthers!" Judith bellowed.
    no8Sma5.png
    "Madam called?" the urbane butler appeared.

"The horrible Goth woman," Judith ranted. "Do you know what she's done now? Do you know? The studio has given her the leading role in Curse of the Pirate Queen! That role was mine! Do you know what they offered me? The Countess!"
    df6TJdL.png

"Now madam, take a deep cleaning breath," Carruthers replied soothingly. "That's right. We are calm. We are composed."
    CSRAcSW.png

"Now," the butler continued. "Perhaps madam will find playing the piano soothing, while she considers the appropriate revenge upon this upstart."

"Dear Carruthers," Judith sighed, "whatever would I do without you?"
    gwVH0eH.png
    0o2a5zC.png

"Ah, I have it," Judith smiled.
    5Sxvv4L.png

"Thank you for meeting with me on such short notice, Nick," Judith smiled.

"Not at all," the mobster replied courteously. "It's always such a pleasure."
    c6oVBaK.png
    "Carruthers explained something of the situation to me," Nick continued. "I am sure we can find some... vulnerability... that can be exploited."
    7s8avPr.png

"In fact, I took the liberty of dispatching a man to Tartosa to observe and see what he could uncover."
    lHwBgG0.png

"But how do we deal with a witch?" Judith snarled. "Make no mistaken, Nick, I am certain Cassandra Goth is a genuine witch. Certain! It is the only thing that explains her unnatural success... and longevity!"

"The Raven Witch, yes," Nick smiled. "Oh, I believe you, dear Judith. In my line of work... well, I am acquainted with things that are in the darkness which most people can't imagine. I may know someone who can help you. It make take some time to arrange a meeting... and she doesn't come cheap."
    d2z6Yqt.png

"Money is no object, Nick," Judith said confidently.

"Who said anything about money," the mobster replied.
    CxcUCUs.png

• Options
    @GirafHuntr, @DaniRose2143 and @GalacticGal... thank you, all.
  • Options
    Wow @Lussiusstorm Chapter 25 leaves me on the edge of my seat! Way cool.
  • Options
    @luciusstorm I love it! More than one cliffhanger, and a familiar silhouette. Judith may be willing to pay the asking price now, but does she understand what's at stake? Or does she think she can manipulate this situation as she has so many others? I can't wait to see where this is headed.
  • Options
    @GirafHuntr, @DaniRose2143 and @GalacticGal... thank you, all.

You are very welcome. Can't wait for the next segment. :)
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    Now I’m intrigued. The mobster knows a very interesting character. That much I’m sure of!
  • Options

Chapter 26 - Sapphire Shores

Much as Miranda wanted to play it cool, she had to admit that even a quick trip to a tropical island to shoot a movie was pretty exciting. Discovering that she'd have a friend there was even better.

"Jenny!" Miranda cheered. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm playing Lady Blanche, the ingenue ward of the wicked Countess," Jenny said proudly.
    L5VorF7.png
    "Honestly, I think you mom pulled some strings to get me the part," Jenny continued, "but I'm not going to complain. A supporting role in a major studio picture is a big step up from being the Salty Suds girl."

"You totally deserve the role," Miranda said. "Mom doesn't have that much pull with the studio."
    VIla1oj.png

"Oh wow," Miranda added. "Judith Ward?"

"The wicked Countess herself," Jenny nodded, adding in a whisper, "That's also the part she's playing."

"I'm going to get out of sight," Miranda said. "Let's catch up inside."
    WEQZteX.png
    "Jenny," Cassie called the young actress over, "Have you met my other co-star Zayne?"

"No," Jenny smiled, "but I loved your work in Sixam Invaders."

"Hey, yeah," Zayne drawled, "that was a fun flick. Come by my room, I'd be happy to tell you all about it."

"Let's let Jenny settle in," Cassie interjected.
    20Y9FSu.png

"Cool," Zayne grinned. "Looks like this could be a fun flick too."

Cassie smiled brittlely.
    PLNtfRQ.png

And I thought he was creepy before he grew the beard, Cassie thought. Oh well, hopefully Jenny can take care of herself. Thank God Miranda is too young of him.
    5lYyW38.png

OK, Miranda thought after unpacking, I'm in a fancy hotel room on a tropical island. This isn't so bad. I wonder how Jenny is settling in.
    66o7z9l.png
    Miranda found her friend on the deck outside her suite.

"Oh... ummm, sorry," Miranda stammered. "I didn't mean to..."

"No problem," Jenny replied drowsily. "I'm just getting a tan."

"You know you're not wearing anything, right?" Miranda asked.

Jenny nodded. "Tan lines are totally unprofessional."
    WmZpo1Z.png

Leaving Jenny to her tan, Miranda changed into her swimsuit and decided to enjoy the water...
    MiEEyKT.png

... and get a tan herself. An unprofessional one, she thought firmly.
    E2XDU1c.png

Later, she and Jenny met up at the beach. Jenny filled Miranda in on her summer - life with a ghost, small acting gigs and a minor parade of boyfriends...
    RhiJ6fP.png

... while Miranda filled Jenny in on her summer in Tartosa.
    jdeM0co.png
    Not far away...

"Yes sir, we have eyes on them. Yes sir, we will."
    YpMo7IQ.png
  • Options
    @luciusstorm That look that Cassie is giving Judith just lowered the temperature in my room by at least 20 degrees. The role of Salty Suds girl is a good place to start a career.😉
  • Options
    @DaniRose2143, every once in a while I'll get a notice: Cassie and Judith have become Good Friends... and I'm like "are you watching the same game I am?"
  • Options
    @luciusstorm Chapter 26. "Yes, we got eyes on them …" Wow, now that's a cliffhanger! Great job!
  • Options

Chapter 27 - An Unexpected Offer

That evening, in the lobby of the Sapphire Shores Hotel...

"Cassandra dah'ling," Judith drawled, "We have a little problem and I'm hoping you can help."

"Oh, what's that?" Cassie replied cautiously.
    2msQ5h6.png
    "That charming boy, what's-his-name," Judith continued, "you know that one who plays your Cabin Boy... well, it turns out, on his way to the airport, the poor dear meet with a horrible accident."

"My God," Cassie said, shocked, "is he going to be all right?"

"Oh I haven't the faintest clue, dah'ling," Judith replied failing to hide her slight grin.
    baq53bD.png

"But you see," she went on, "the studio is positively scrambling to find someone to replace him and fly them out here in time for the location shoot."

"I'm sure," Cassie answered coolly, "but I don't know how I can help."
    EWlvrQa.png

"Oh didn't I say?" Judith beamed. "I wondered if dear Miranda could play the role."

"What?" Cassie actually laughed out loud.
    KDOtVD8.png

"Well, it's just a small part," Judith said, "hardly any lines and you've said in the past how you will run lines with her sometimes. Of course, if you don't think she'd be up to it..."

"I'll ask her if she'd be interested," Cassie replied, smiling back at the challenge in Judith's eyes.
    7wGSCP2.png

Elsewhere in the hotel, another offer was being made...

"I just thought we could get to know each other a little better," Zayne said. "You know, I can be quite... supportive... of the careers of my friends."
    fK5BzxF.png
    "Ummm... I'm sorry but the answer's no, Zayne," Jenny winced. "I just... I can't."

"Heh," Zayne chuckled, "No, no... that's... fine."
    WETuobM.png

Oh God, Jenny thought, what did I just do? But I couldn't... Miranda and Cassie are always saying I shouldn't have to do... that... to get ahead. I couldn't disappoint them.
    FAdJ9oj.png

Later that night...

Judith is up to something, Cassie thought as she looked out over the star lit ocean. I just don't know what. I need to keep an eye on Miranda... but I also need to tell her about the role. She should decide for herself.
    zMU36jU.png
  • Options
    Oooh, intriguing. What's Judith up to, heheheh .
  • Options

Chapter 28 - The Cabin Boy

"You know," Cassie said as she finished running lines with Miranda, "You're really good at this."

"Thanks mom," Miranda said, "it's kind of fun."
    waSsacL.png
    "Do you think it's something you might want to do for real?" Cassie asked.

"What do you mean?" Miranda said.

"Well, the young man who was going to play the Cabin Boy had an accident," Cassie said, "and Judith suggested that you might be able to fill in. It's a small role but if you're interested... and it would be fine if you're n..."
    VCDVk71.png

"Are you kidding?" Miranda gasped. "You mean, I'd be in the movie? For real?!"

"Well, honey I..." Cassie started, thinking she might have approached this wrong.

"That would be so totally awesome!" Miranda grinned manically.
    XKqdUYb.png

"But is the studio going to go for this?" Jenny asked after Cassie told them Miranda had agreed. "I mean, they must have someone who could take the role... like someone who's a professional actor not a..."

"Between the fact that she's already on location, and that both Cassie and I am recommending her, they won't make any objections," Judith said confidently. "I'll make all the arrangements. Now Jenny, why don't you can Cassie help Miranda prepare."
    kK3t3XU.png
    "Remember Zayne," Judith said once she was alone with the actor, "Miranda is a new, young actress... just starting out. I'm sure she'd be very appreciative of all our help and support."
    gpnpQGc.png

"Hey, I'm always happy to help out prime new talent," Zayne enthused.
    iG4znRu.png

"Why did I say I can do this?" Miranda worried. "I can't do this."
    FoYi0Vi.png
    "You can totally do it," Jenny said encouragingly. "I've heard you running lines. You'll do great."

"It's ridiculous," Miranda said. "I can't act... and besides, the role is a Cabin Boy. Boy! What, am I supposed to be smuggling coconuts in my shirt?"
    YeeUz14.png

"No. Apples maybe but not coconuts," Jenny teased.

"Oh, thanks for that," Miranda laughed.

"Maybe let's not discuss my daughters 'apples'," Cassie put in, worrying a bit about Zayne.
    MT1Zoqy.png
    "I mean, our characters would totally have...," Zayne had said earlier that morning.

"No," Cassie had replied firmly. "Absolutely not and let us never... never... speak of it again."
    UhH6Qva.png

"Do you really think I can do it?" Miranda asked after Cassie had stepped out.

"Absolutely," Jenny smiled. "Come on, I'll help you rehearse."
    gZpEDWf.png
    It was, after all, only a small part but Miranda threw herself into it with passion.
    E5aY6BE.png

"I will never make fun of mom's acting again," she declared after running through the scene several times.
    FiwMKeM.png

Rehearse away little girl, Judith fumed. Your abject failure will serve to embarrass your wretched mother, who after all recommended you for the role... as my people will tell the press. If Zayne is fool enough to create a scandal so much the better. This is only the teaser, after all.
    Ul0JxXD.png
  • Options
    @luciusstorm Zayne is every bit as creepy, and really, as slimy as he first appeared. And he has no idea who he's messing with. Judith...is Judith. I have faith that Miranda will do fine and wreck Judith's scheme. How well she'll do when Judith inevitable tries again, who knows.
  • Options

Chapter 29 - On Location

The fateful day had arrived. The studio had, with some quiet reservations, accepted the recommendations of its two leading ladies that the role of the Cabin Boy be filled by Miranda. A quick script re-write - explaining away the Cabin "Boy's" disguise - and a signed contract and waver settled the practicalities of the matter. The cast and crew gathered on the largely uninhabited island of Mua Pel'am, where an old shipwreck made a good backdrop for the period picture.

"I can't do this," Miranda said desperately.

"Take a deep breath," Cassie said. "Find your center and be calm. If you still don't think you can do it, we'll talk to the director."
    aKsNDFX.png
    Judith simmered with barely suppressed rage. For all her schemes of revenge, standing here with the cameras she could no longer deny the horrible reality that Cassandra Goth was about appear on film as the Pirate Queen.

Not far away Zayne scowled. So far, this had not been a fun flick.
    WFaWpgG.png

"All right," the director called. "Let's get the Countess and Lady Blanche..."
    WZFpce8.png
    "... the Countess confides her plans to Lady Blanche..."
    aD6nzzK.png

"...and then entrances her to obey..."
    japiOdB.png

"Excellent Judith, you're magnificent, amazing, stupendous... just wonderful. Uh... nice job, Jenny."
    YKWBIsl.png

"Now," the director declared, "where's my Pirate Queen... and her First Mate."

"Ready to declare my passion," Zayne intoned.
    pXLy05X.png
    "The First Mate whispers the Countess's secret to the Pirate Queen..."
    cNpAFvu.png

"... then 'declares his passion' for her."

Gah! Cassie gasped.
    RmA3bSH.png

"Really? Tongue!" Cassie snapped at her co-star. "That wasn't what we rehearsed."

"I was in the moment," Zayne replied.
    7CHzalc.png

"Great job, Cassie. You're wonderful, fantastic, glorious. Zayne, great work."

"Always a pleasure," Cassie grinned ruefully.
    U7A1sTR.png

"OK, Countess and Cabin Boy..."

Cassie looked on nervously, reminding herself that Miranda had faced a master vampire and won. Of course, she thought, neither of us can set Judith on fire... unless I really, really have to.
    5UBmRRH.png
    "Don't be nervous dear," Judith sweetly dripped poison from her lips. "I'm sure you'll be fine... you won't horribly embarrass yourself and your mother."
    mJTuvwZ.png

Later no one, least of all Miranda, would know if she simply missed the venomous sarcasm of Judith's words or rose above them. No one could doubt that Miranda wasn't an experienced actress, but between mediation, yoga and witchcraft she knew a thing or two about being focused and confident.
    PRu7Bou.png

"The Cabin Boy denies Countess..."
    Nlir4Gy.png

"... and she strikes, carrying 'him' off."
    qQ4sMjO.png

"Nice job kid. Magnificent and all that... Judith."
    bWpsNxh.png

"Ok, before we lose the light... the Pirate Queen confronts the Countess..."
    FkKUrND.png
    "... challenges her in order to free the Lady and the Cabin Boy..."
    ws8pV9n.png

"... battle is joined... Cut! Get that blasted paparazza off my set!!!"
    S3aLUun.png

"...battle!"
    w5E2sus.png

"... and the Countess is defeated."
    lDsoUE2.png

"Excellent. Magnificent. Glorious. Fantastic! (Someone get an a blasted thesaurus!)"
    boeFoqa.png

"A little rough there, dah'ling," Judith snarled.

"The 'Pirate Queen' fiercely protects her own," Cassie replied coolly.
    wbERHJ0.png