Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Where to start

My sister kindly bought me the Sims 3 which was lovely of her 🤗 only thing is I'm not sure where to start with it, like what world and whether I should create a big family or maybe just my Simself and see how it goes..... So much to do lol im not sure where to start.

Am hoping u can give suggestion :)
Please 🤗

Comments

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :mrgreen:

Welcome to the Sims 3. :cookie:

I suggest starting with only one Sim and make them what ever you want or looks fun. :)
    Start out in Sunset Valley. It's a great place to start.

First thing, send them to the town park and meet some other Sims. Look around and maybe cook some hot dogs. Food is free - kinda.
    Follow some of their wants.

I hope you have fun!
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    The first thing I would do before starting to play is follow this performance guide.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1131162350
  • Options
    TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    Hello and welcome to TS3! I hope you enjoy your stay :)
    Astro wrote: »
    The first thing I would do before starting to play is follow this performance guide.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1131162350

I second this. I know it’s long, it’s overwhelming, it’s tedious having to go through all these steps just to get the game to run well, but it’ll be worth it in the end, I promise. It’s very common for TS3 players to play with heavily-modded games, but that’s because we are fortunate that at this point in the game’s lifespan, we have all these mods and fixes to minimise lag and enhance the game experience.

Aside from that, the only other piece of advice I would offer is: there really is no right or wrong way to play, and that’s the beauty of TS3’s more unstructured, sandbox-style gameplay. Do whatever you like, and watch what happens. And if you feel overwhelmed with all the options, that’s okay, just pick a few to focus on at a time. Here’s wishing you many fun times as you explore this wonderful game :)
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I was confused too when I first got the game in June 2009.

Your sim will need an income as there will be bills to pay. Your sim can get a job and spend hours in a rabbit hole somewhere while at work. Or you can find other things for your sim to do. Depending on the Expansions you have there is a variety of things a sim can do. If you have only the base game then collecting is a good way to find things to sell and earn an income. It will also give you a chance to explore the world. If I decide to play a game where my sim goes to work in a rabbit hole than I usually play with more than one sim in the household.

Careers usually have reward objects available. These rewards can only be obtained from getting to a certain level in a career. The level varies between careers. I used to like to get the fridge that is the reward for getting near the top of the culinary career.

If you have registered your game you should be able to download Riverview world from the Sims 3 Store. This world is free if you've registered the game.

Happy Simming
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    The Ghost Hunting job is sometimes frustrating once your sim gets to higher levels. The only sim I've had get to level 10 in that career was a sim I stopped playing after I put him into it. I was playing rotationally. To my surprise he got to the top of the career without any input from me. Several other careers are good to put your sim into if you are not playing their household because they will most likely get to the top without your assistance. One I remember is the magician career with one of my sims. I think the investigator career might be another one that a sim can progress well in for not being played. And you can play the sim to the top of the magician career too. I haven't tried to play the investigator career though.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    I would highly suggest starting out in the main world that’s in the base game: Sunset Valley.

1) it is the best optimized of all the worlds offered, less likely to lag or glitch out.
    2) take a single sim and explore the features of the game - diving into relationships with other sims is difficult when you’re just starting out.
    3) just enjoy the various things you can do and get familiar with the controls of the game before diving into a family scenario or you might find yourself overwhelmed by what you can do. Get to know how long it takes for sims to accomplish tasks. That will give you an idea as to how long you can subject a sim to doing something before he or she starves. Look through the menus and user interface - get to know them so that you can quickly find what you’re looking for.
    4) there are lots of tutorials online on how to do things (build a house, learn how to use mods, using CAS, etc. take advantage of those resources.
    5) above all, have fun. There’s lots of things to do in this game. Even if you played for 13 years, you barely scratch the surface of this game and its possibilities.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    The NRaas ErrorTrap and Overwatch mods are almost a must and I saw they were included in the guide. :smile:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    Welcome to the sims 3! Hope you're enjoying it!
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    blaq797blaq797 Posts: 145 Member
    edited July 2022
    Welcome to sims 3. Mind all the content though...

As tempting as it is, DO NOT go wild with saving custom styles and patterns. Save only the styles you know you will use most often.

A question for you however; when your sister got you the game, was it the base game or was it bundled up with university and Ambitions etc?

This is where having something like NRAAS and Master Controller come in handy, because there are A LOT of traits in Sims 3. A lot of traits that sound cool and enticing that to really get their potential, you have to jump through University to open up the 6th and 7th trait slots or use NRAAS to open those up otherwise [I did the latter alot].

You can edit these worlds; according to some the videos I've seen, Sunset Valley comes with a whopping 90 some lots, This can edited down though through creativity... However, it is up to you what you do with it, just mind the rule about the custom styles because too many custom styles will slow your game down.

With all of that said, I hope your enjoy your sims 3 experience and have fun with it.

Riverview is also a good starter, but stick with Sunset Valley for your first experience. Bothe worlds are decently robust in the beginning at least.

I cannot emphasize enough to be careful with the custom styles if possible.
    Sorry, Avatar is merely my favorite Sims 4 sim.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited July 2022
    Renée09 wrote: »
    My sister kindly bought me the Sims 3 which was lovely of her 🤗 only thing is I'm not sure where to start with it, like what world and whether I should create a big family or maybe just my Simself and see how it goes..... So much to do lol im not sure where to start.

Am hoping u can give suggestion :)
    Please 🤗

Hi and welcome to the Sims, you are in for a wonderful fun time. I know how you feel about starting. I remember my first game and it was years ago. I laugh now, I had a husband and a wife. the husband got up first and started breakfast and caught the stove on fire and himself, he died, and a gravestone was placed on the floor, well the wife got up and saw it and started crying, all she did was cry and I did not know what to do. On a forum I told someone, and they said I need to put the gravestone in the cemetery, so I did. well, I got her a new husband, and he was in the Hot tub and when he was getting out, he got electrocuted and he died. once again, she started crying. I said oh no what is this game, everyone is dying and can't stop the girl from crying. I keep on playing and I have never stopped. I am in love with the sims. and have been playing over 12 years. Just have fun, you will catch on, everyone plays different, like my sims have never had a job, in all the years I have been playing except on I made a Detective, I like playing with them, so they make money painting, writing, collecting gems, flowers etc. and selling them, even my very poor sims have lived from dumpster diving. As you will see there are many ways to play. I know you will have fun. again, welcome to a wonderful game the sims 3
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited July 2022
    Hope that you’re feeling better - better being a relative term with chronic health problems. We’re all here in case you have more questions about Sims 3.

PS: Haruo…is the Simself. 😁 The “guy” . I tweaked River so she looks quite different from what she ordinarily looks like in Sunset Valley as an EA premade. 🙂
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~