The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

IS EA SEXIST? Unequal Sims?

Simmerd80Simmerd80 Posts: 2,316 Member
I been wanting to create a thread about this for awhile but I kept forgetting.

My husband and I have notice something very interesting in our Sims games.
I am not sure if others have mentioned it before..

But have you ever had two Sims of opposite genders be employed in the same career?

Here is what you will learn if you do.
The male sim ALWAYS gets paid at least $1 dollar more than the female in starting pay for the same exact career, job, and level.
He is also offered higher promotion pay than the female. Don't have the exact dollar figuere but trust me when I say it is more. ( Don't believe me. Create two sims and test this out)

I have not tested this with every single career but I do know for a fact that the business careers and medical careers offer unequal pay.

I think the reason many people haven't noticed this before is because we usually have our Sims work separate careers. However, one time I decided to create two corporate ladder climbing individuals and when I signed them up for the same career I was pretty shocked to see this little sneaky programming...or glitch? But I don't know it is a coincidence seeing as its very reflective of today's society and what women are continously fighting to change.

So I discovered the business career and my husband noticed the medical career.

Has anyone else notice this?

And what is the meaning of this EA? For some reason this bothers me. Like its so blatant.

If anyone doesn't believe me. Test it out. Just grab two premade sims from the bin. Put them in a cheap house in town. And put them in the same career. Once they are in the career. Check the pay. Play them until their first promotion and check the pay. Its only the starting pay and the first promotion. After that, it really starts to get individual based on which sim you have complete more opportunities.

EDIT:
I made an incorrection. I am now starting the testing process in all careers. The initial pay is the same. Its the FIRST promotional pay that is different. Often when two sims are in the same career and get a promotion at the same time, the male's promotion is higher. This is the case even if you did nothing different between the two. Meaning both Sims went to work happy and needs met. Both read the same books and completed the same opportunities. I am currently testing in the musical career track and will proceed to others. Since I have already observed the business and medical careers multiple times.

Comments

• Options
    simsgal2227simsgal2227 Posts: 12,279 Member
    edited May 2010
    OMG, that is horrible! Shame, shame, EA!
  • Options
    The_Purple_PlumbobThe_Purple_Plumbob Posts: 11,250 New Member
    edited May 2010
    I never noticed that, I'm quite shocked.
  • Options
    SelahFreeAtLastSelahFreeAtLast Posts: 5,102 Member
    edited May 2010
    Well, people wanted more realism.
    ID selahfreeatlast @deema316 on twitter
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,998 Member
    edited May 2010
    Maybe EA was making a statement that this is too often the case. However, I have had three Sims in the same household with the same job and they always get different pay increases. I think it is simply a roll of the die. If it were hard coded in the programming, someone would have found it and mentioned it already.
  • Options
    Isabel83Isabel83 Posts: 2,350 Member
    edited May 2010
    Well, people wanted more realism.

Sad but true
  • Options
    Flipside1972Flipside1972 Posts: 135
    edited May 2010
    I didn't even see glass ceilings in the Build mode... ;)

I'd say it's a code error more likely than anything else, but I agree, it is odd.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ciane wrote:
    Maybe EA was making a statement that this is too often the case. However, I have had three Sims in the same household with the same job and they always get different pay increases. I think it is simply a roll of the die. If it were hard coded in the programming, someone would have found it and mentioned it already.

Yes as I already stated. As the game goes on, the pay begins to differ depending on which sim you have complete more opportunities.

The initial starting pay and first promotion is where you see the difference.

Its not a random roll of the dice because it happens everytime.
    My husband has lost his family to save errors a few times and had to create a whole brand new family and he always starts his household working in the medical career tract as level 10 is the highest paying salary above all other career salaries. He does this to build up his sims wealth. And it never fails. His male sim gets paid more then his female sim when they first apply.

Same with what I have noticed in the business career.

• Options
    edited May 2010
    There's glass ceilings in build mode?
  • Options
    LadyDarkSorrowLadyDarkSorrow Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited May 2010
    they are also women working for E.A ,I don't think they would allowed this to happen..My Sim female gets paid just as well of the male in my game.
  • Options
    Flipside1972Flipside1972 Posts: 135
    edited May 2010
    There's glass ceilings in build mode?

Either you thought of the same joke as me, or you didn't get my joke ;)

For those that don't know, A 'Glass Ceiling' is a term used to mean limiting a person's career prospects because of their race, colour, gender, religion etc :)

Edit: Though, in retrospect, 'actual' glass ceilings in build mode would be kind of cool ;)

Oh, and this site could really do with a 'This subject has been moved' filler when things get moved around.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Haha Flipside1972. I agree. When I came back to edit my post. I couldn't find it and I was like "wow, they deleted my thread? maybe I am on to something" haha but guess not lol.

Anyway I am testing this out with other careers. I already noticed my first error. The starting pay is the same it is the first promotion that shows the difference.
    You all will have to excuse me. As I stated I noticed this since the beginning of the Sims 3 release. Been wanting to say something but kept forgetting.
    So now I am in the process of testing this out. Anyone want to help. Please do.
    I am currently testing the musical career tract.
    You don't need to play all the way to level 10. Just to the first promotion. Then you can quit and go to another job.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Deleted. Double post.
  • Options
    beaynidSimbeaynidSim Posts: 784 Member
    edited May 2010
    do both the male and female sims have the exact same traits? are their relationships with boss and coworkers at the same level? and are they performing the same action choices while at work?

i know ambitious and workaholic sims i believe get higher raises than others, and there may be a pay difference depending on negative traits, lucky, schmoozer, etc.

also is this including all the same random events at work as well and opportunities?

also to be completely sure, they would need to get the same mood/work related lifetime rewards at the same time as well as making it to the job at the same exact time.

all of those things are calculated in raises and promotions, so it could just be a one of those factors happening to affect it. or it could be that they programmed certain jobs to favor men and others to favor women.
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited May 2010
    I never really noticed so I'll have to take a look. But I would venture to say there is a nifty algorithm or some type of coding based on various factors that determines the amount of a raise.

However, one thing that does drive me nuts is that female elders can't have children if they're with a younger male, but male elders with a younger female still can. I say make them males sterile. j/k :mrgreen:

@beaynidSim ~ Love your siggy quote. One of my favorites. :lol:

Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    LadyDarkSorrowLadyDarkSorrow Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited May 2010
    blunote00 wrote:
    I never really noticed so I'll have to take a look. But I would venture to say there is a nifty algorithm or some type of coding based on various factors that determines the amount of a raise.

However, one thing that does drive me nuts is that female elders can't have children if they're with a younger male, but male elders with a younger female still can. I say make them males sterile. j/k :mrgreen:

lmao
  • Options
    beaynidSimbeaynidSim Posts: 784 Member
    edited May 2010
    blunote00 wrote:

@beaynidSim ~ Love your siggy quote. One of my favorites. :lol:

thanks, its one of my favorite movies :) and in real life, males dont have an equivalency to a woman's menopause, so men can be virile for alot longer. that is not to say that a mans age doesnt affect the outcome of child, which it can due to different things(i.e. gene degradation). so in a theoretical sense the way it is now makes sense.
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    edited May 2010
    I was just wondering if all the traits were the same. Just in case one of the sims has a lucky trait.
    I always have my sims on different carreer tracts so I have never noticed anything odd. I will be watching more carefully and maybe one day try it out for myself.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    edited May 2010
    well thats interesting... ill have to try that out myself and see with 2 identical sims, male and female
  • Options
    AvengerAvenger Posts: 980 New Member
    edited May 2010
    beaynidSim wrote:
    do both the male and female sims have the exact same traits? are their relationships with boss and coworkers at the same level? and are they performing the same action choices while at work?

i know ambitious and workaholic sims i believe get higher raises than others, and there may be a pay difference depending on negative traits, lucky, schmoozer, etc.

also is this including all the same random events at work as well and opportunities?

also to be completely sure, they would need to get the same mood/work related lifetime rewards at the same time as well as making it to the job at the same exact time.

all of those things are calculated in raises and promotions, so it could just be a one of those factors happening to affect it. or it could be that they programmed certain jobs to favor men and others to favor women.

You make some very good points. I wonder what would happen if you compare a workaholic Female Sim with a Male Sim who has traits like slob, insane, inappropriate and so on. I'd bet the female sim would earn more money....
  • Options
    ameliuh321ameliuh321 Posts: 3,767 New Member
    edited May 2010
    The thing is, it's true. I believe I read that every 75 cents a woman makes, a man make a dollar. :/ I actually appreciate the realism.
  • Options
    ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    edited May 2010
    i dont know whether to appreciate the realism or be mad at it lol.

• Options
    dragonmaster626dragonmaster626 Posts: 3,716 New Member
    edited May 2010
    that stinks, I my self even though i'm a guy prefer playing female sims as my starter sim which means i don't get much money to help move to bing a rich sim. :(
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    To flipside. I didn't know. Thank you for the explanation. I thought you were joking about there actually being glass ceilings.
  • Options
    LittleVLittleV Posts: 8,565 Member
    edited May 2010
    Are we sure that it's not, like someone mentioned, a randomized system? Pay increases may be randomized or based on personal work performance, and maybe women aren't meant to get lower pay, it just has happened more than male sims? I dunno, cause if EA really made it so women make less than men than that's dirty EA.
  • Options
    MetalzMetalz Posts: 720 New Member
    edited May 2010
    Lol,

I remember a thread like this a small bit after the sims 3 came
    out, I don't think it's anything to make an up-roar about but
    this is a life simulator and I guess that all does happen in
    life.. :?

-Metalz :roll: :roll:
    yguael8