Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Too cold to plant

Anyone else getting this?

In winter I'll try to plant something in a greenhouse that's built on to the main house. Despite it being indoors and therefore sheltered, and despite the thermostat being set to warm I get a message up saying it's too cold to plant whatever it is.
It only affects some plants though.
Gallery ID: babysquare

Comments

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,745 Member
    Hm, I never had this. Have not played in about 3 weeks though, if there was a recent patch causing it I wouldn't know.

Did you double check that roof is fully covering? Hm, no, if it only happens to certain plants it sounds like a bug. What plants are they?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,179 Member
    I think it happened in my game too. But my greenhouse is in the back of the yard, not attached to the house, though that shouldn't make a difference.
    Maybe they're plants that are out of season?
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited September 2018
    This happens to me too. I popped a thermostat in and that enabled me to grow plants during winter. I’d try putting a thermostat in the actual greenhouse room itself. Just, be prepared for the bills.
  • Options
    mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    Don't think I've come across this yet, and I usually garden indoors or in a greenhouse since seasons came out. Do you plant in the planters or straight into the ground? I wonder if that makes a difference. Mine are usually in the planters.
  • Options
    This happens to me too. I popped a thermostat in and that enabled me to grow plants during winter. I’d try putting a thermostat in the actual greenhouse room itself. Just, be prepared for the bills.

Interesting! I never needed a thermostat in my greenhouses, but it would actually make sense if some sort of heating was required. I'm now wondering if my plants would grow better if I added one...
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I'm afraid I can't remember which plants, just some of them, also thanks for the link rosemow :)
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    Just got this message (too cold to plant) in a greenhouse in Winter. Carrots in square planter. But my sims arte just one day away from Spring, so the problem is not game breaking.
  • Options
    hufflepuff86hufflepuff86 Posts: 7 New Member
    I just tried planting a mushroom in a greenhouse I have built. Got the message saying it’s too cold. At first, I was using a planter my sim crafted, so I thought maybe that was part of the problem and tried getting one of the planters in buy mode. Same thing. Brought a second thermostat over to the greenhouse. Nothing. I’ve never had this issue before with gardening. Was this ever resolved?
  • Options
    IronicBeauty77IronicBeauty77 Posts: 28 Member
    I just tried planting a mushroom in a greenhouse I have built. Got the message saying it’s too cold. At first, I was using a planter my sim crafted, so I thought maybe that was part of the problem and tried getting one of the planters in buy mode. Same thing. Brought a second thermostat over to the greenhouse. Nothing. I’ve never had this issue before with gardening. Was this ever resolved?

Nope. Just experienced this with a clean save, no mods or cc. Can't plant carrots, mushrooms, or potatoes. And potatoes are a winter plant! It is snowing pretty good outside but all plants are in planters inside greenhouse. I also turned off blizzards, thunderstorms, and temperature affects. Put planter box inside of house and still can not plant.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member

Nope. Just experienced this with a clean save, no mods or cc. Can't plant carrots, mushrooms, or potatoes. And potatoes are a winter plant! It is snowing pretty good outside but all plants are in planters inside greenhouse. I also turned off blizzards, thunderstorms, and temperature affects. Put planter box inside of house and still can not plant.

I've had this happen a number of times. It depends on the temperature - if it's the black 'freezing' temperature, you can't plant, even in a greenhouse, even with the thermostat on. However, it's only certain plants - sometimes, my Sim can plant one item, but not another, at the same time.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I get this message when the temperature thermometer is completely black. If the thermometer has some blue in it then I can plant.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips @invisiblgirl & @Starfree though I'm still confused why some plants can be planted but not others. I'm able to plant flowers along with spinach, peas, and most every herb but not carrots, mushrooms, or potatoes.
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,470 Member
    @IronicBeauty77 I've had no problem planting any plant in winter as long as the thermometer has blue in it. BTW, you can also fish in winter as long as there's blue.
  • Options
    @Starfree sweet! Didn't know that about fishing. That'll come in handy. Guess my best bet then would be to place the household in a world that doesn't get that cold in winter.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    @Starfree sweet! Didn't know that about fishing. That'll come in handy. Guess my best bet then would be to place the household in a world that doesn't get that cold in winter.

Once you've got them planted, they'll do fine in a greenhouse in winter. I don't think it's intentional, especially since only certain plants are affected.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Don't forget that you can change the weather. Dr. June's Weather Control Device is available from Outdoor Activities and only costs 1500.
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Greenhouse for the win! I don't trust the weather. Especially in the Forgotten Hollow.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    delphydelphy Posts: 55 Member
    So I am noticing this issue for the first time myself. I can't plant tomato's or potato's. My plants are in a greenhouse and in planters. I have a thermostat in the greenhouse area which is attached to my house and I even put a fire place in the room. No difference since the temp is in the black. Even flowering plants that are out of season will still allow planting. lol
  • Options
    yagwityagwit Posts: 118 Member
    https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/skills/gardening/ I trust Carl is correct on bonsai berries being winter plants. I get the too cold to plant message for all winter seeds, and year around plants. Did anyone find a fix? A greenhouse is not going to work for my cottage style.
  • Options
    KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    I hope I'm understanding your query correctly - Outside of using mods and greenhouses. You need to plant the winter seeds before the very cold season begins. They then sprout during the cold weather.
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Interesting I’ve never been able to plant when it’s freezing, inside a greenhouses or outside, but as soon as it went up a just little in temp I could. Assumed it was the gameplay.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,928 Member
    As an aside, can I just say that "too cold to plant" is a silly idea to begin with? It's simply not realistic. In real life, you can plant anything at any time, it just usually won't grow until it's the appropriate season. In fact, it's often better to throw certain seeds into the ground when it's still too cold, because it helps break open the hard outer shell so that they will grow more quickly when it get warm. This is a limitation that is inconvenient to players, jarring in terms of realism, and I just don't see any advantage that it offers in terms of technical specs for the game.

I don't expect tomatoes to grow in the dead of winter, but I should be able to plop those things in the ground at any time to clear out my inventory, then wait for them to start growing in the right season.
  • Options
    Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    yagwit wrote: »
    https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/skills/gardening/ I trust Carl is correct on bonsai berries being winter plants. I get the too cold to plant message for all winter seeds, and year around plants. Did anyone find a fix? A greenhouse is not going to work for my cottage style.

Yes, one of my sims has been growing a bonsai bush for several seasons and I can confirm they are year-round plants. The obvious fix for "too cold to plant" is to change the weather and make it warmer. I don't have the game open to check but you might be able to do that with Dr. June's Weather Control Device and/or the Weather Options panel.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 7,021 Member
    My green houses have been bugged for so long I haven’t played my main household that lives off of the produce she sells. Every since seasons, I have had one problem or another with plants …. I wish they would fix them.