Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you wish The Sims 4 would push more towards the Teen rating?

Comments

• Options
    Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,555 Member
    I share my game with my two children, ages 11 and 9, so it's fine as it is.
  • Options
    MrSunshineMrSunshine Posts: 99 Member
    I can't give comments about whether the sims 4 should be raunchier or not because I started from the sims 4. But is it possible the reason the Sims 4 feels tamer because they should adhere to Teen rating all over the world? I mean, what constitutes tame in one country is probably not same with the others.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    P.S....Has anyone noticed that we don't even have an angry emoji for the forums? Pretty weird, right? :#

:angry: and :rage: would like a word

I think they mean on the main page of emojis, there’s not an angry one. But they now allow phone emojis so expressions are limitless 😍

Wait seriously?? When did they do that??

Wonder if this works...

🥝🍅🍆🥑🥦

Nice fruits and veg lol
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,741 Member
    edited January 2020
    MrSunshine wrote: »
    I can't give comments about whether the sims 4 should be raunchier or not because I started from the sims 4. But is it possible the reason the Sims 4 feels tamer because they should adhere to Teen rating all over the world? I mean, what constitutes tame in one country is probably not same with the others.

It could be, but I think they mostly follow the ESRB ratings: A game that is rated T for teen is allowed to have violence, suggestive themes, crude humor and minimal blood. So they could add these things if they wanted to and it would not affect their rating.

For example: Fortnite, Apex Legends, XCOM2, Destiny 2, Overwatch, Monster Hunter World and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen order are all games that are rated T for teen and are sold around the world.

I don't think we need to worry about them trying to go E for everyone though. The sims seem to have a legacy of drowning sims or locking them in the basement.
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I really like the game as it is, and I think it's perfectly fine without pushing the rating even more. I like to leave the darker stuff to mods I can take out whenever I want.

This sums my feelings up completely. I think it's far better to have the game exactly as it is and then people have the option to add any more darker/adult mods in for themselves. Seems fairer and more accessible to everybody <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    I really like the game as it is, and I think it's perfectly fine without pushing the rating even more. I like to leave the darker stuff to mods I can take out whenever I want.

This sums my feelings up completely. I think it's far better to have the game exactly as it is and then people have the option to add any more darker/adult mods in for themselves. Seems fairer and more accessible to everybody <3

Same here. I agree with that.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    And this is exactly why i use mods to get around that handholding/airsucking rating and tame interactions on this game, not to mention how boring the base game interactions are.

It is often frustrating how intentionally crippled this game is from a design standpoint. sure for children it is fine, but if EA can put a legacy version out there? then they can create a version for children and a version for teens and adults and it caters to a wider range of audiences over both games. at the very least it would be great to be liberated from this absurdness.
  • Options
    mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    I don't use any mods, I haven't got a clue how to install or work them and as I see it, they have to be reinstalled everytime there is an update and I can't be doing with all that..
    I would prefer the Sims to have an older rating as I am finding it too boring and nicey nicey for me right now.
    I also think it caters more for the younger player and forgets it's older players that have been playing since the game first came out years ago and have now grown older and want more realism and adult things in their game play...
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    logion wrote: »
    MrSunshine wrote: »

It could be, but I think they mostly follow the ESRB ratings: A game that is rated T for teen is allowed to have violence, suggestive themes, crude humor and minimal blood. So they could add these things if they wanted to and it would not affect their rating.

For example: Fortnite, Apex Legends, XCOM2, Destiny 2, Overwatch, Monster Hunter World and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen order are all games that are rated T for teen and are sold around the world.

I don't think we need to worry about them trying to go E for everyone though. The sims seem to have a legacy of drowning sims or locking them in the basement.

I mean, I think if they did decide to drop it down to an E, Morgan would have to be fired. :D
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    My Teens can actually "mess around" with the teens they bring home from school. That is far, far more risqué than lacy lingerie, and I like it. It's plenty T-rated enough.
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    edited January 2020
    I miss all the more raunchy interactions. Even the maids uniform got dumbed down.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I too, miss the crazy cake dancers and the dance cages that you could make seedy bars and clubs with, and being able to make T&J kinds of places and characters. Those days were so silly and irreverent and fun, and that I lost that whole side of my gameplay in this iteration has definitely left me with very little to enjoy.

I'm a fully grown and multi-faceted mature adult with a crazy sense of humor, and one-dimensional overly limited repetitive cardboard sims doesn't even really feel like gameplay at all. It's ridiculous that I can't be the grownup that I am whenever I want, I don't need a video game nanny to protect me from the cruel cruel world, and I hate living in bubble wrap.

It's my life and I want to be able to do whatever I want in my own game. I'm talking within reason of course, and I would love to see real adults return to the Sims the way we used to have them. It's a lot less drama and fun without it.

I like all the things you mentioned too, and that's why I now use mods. There are mods out there for everything. And I do mean, EVERYTHING.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yeah it feels very safe especially for games these days which have raised even what is considered teen these days. It feels very E rated.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    My personal theory is it's not at all laziness, but the need to appeal to markets beyond the US. Some jokes do not translate well in other cultures and what we find kitschy, many would find unacceptable. So they have a game that can transport to other countries with at least some cultural sensitivity and class. I use mods to add in the adult elements. The world is our oyster with all the great modders out there.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    I feel like we should at least be able to get "juiced." I miss that.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2020
    peragogo wrote: »
    Here’s a theory: The Sims 4 is more chaste, not because of “safe spaces”, but because it was supposed to be online multiplayer and being a Teen game with more raunchy make outs and lewds would have been a PR nightmare waiting to happen. When that ship sailed, going back to re-raunch some things would have cost too much money. The difference between woohoo in an observatory vs make out in a closet kinda highlights the difference, I think.
    Even previous Sims online games were less chaste, so I doubt that is a valid excuse either.

I mean look how much smaller the female pixels are compared to the Sims 4. It doesn't cover their face when they shower.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57vxpgCe8j4
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    i genuinely don't know how i feel about this. i don't mind that TS4 isn't as "raunchy" as the previous iterations but i also wouldn't mind if they changed it to be more raunchy. i kind of don't care either way

and here i thought all the woohooing options WERE risqué...
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • Options
    thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    I can make a trans man with a club of kids to clean his/or her (pronouns) house and it's all good.
    So yeah, it's not like it used to be.

Like, not to start anything but I don't understand how being Trans is rated higher than T for teen?

Also... the pronouns are in the name. Trans man. He's a dude. He/him.

I also don't appreciate you getting weird with the implications of the club either.

• Options
    ObaniMoonObaniMoon Posts: 18 Member
    The overall atmosphere of the game feels like a kids game besides the flirty interactions. The game seems less grounded then the previous games. I still prefer Sims 3 due to the more mature themes.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited January 2020
    To me the game doesn't even feel teen rated. I love it mind you but it's kind of childish in a lot of ways. Like why can sims not feel the effects of alcohol? Teens are old enough to know about alcohol and what it does. I really don't understand the game design in general when it comes to age rating. How come "WooHoo" is okay in a game for teens but sims getting a little drunk from drinking drinks at a bar isn't? It makes no sense to me. Personally I would like it to be slightly more mature but obviously not anything like the 18+ mods mature. I would like my sims to be able to drink in a bar and have them feel the effects of it without needing a mod for it.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited January 2020
    thecatsred wrote: »
    I can make a trans man with a club of kids to clean his/or her (pronouns) house and it's all good.
    So yeah, it's not like it used to be.

Like, not to start anything but I don't understand how being Trans is rated higher than T for teen?

Also... the pronouns are in the name. Trans man. He's a dude. He/him.

I also don't appreciate you getting weird with the implications of the club either.

And they/them is also respectful address for anyone one is not sure how otherwise to denominate. And you aren't starting anything, but calling out an attitude that is indeed problematic.

I actually think TS4 is an improvement in many regards over previous iterations, on a maturity scale. Trans folk aren't innately more "adult" as content - the ESRB has been plain on that point. But a game acknowledging, including, and attempting as well as it can to portray that diversity is still unusual, and clearly is more than some players are able to handle.

Personally, I was tickled to learn that my teenage niece, who first introduced me to The Sims, also defaults to same-sex partnerships in her households and legacies. She prefers they be women, however. This isn't too mature for teens, for whom these issues are already concerns of personal importance. And it is commendable that Maxis always has and continues to include that kind of possibility.

My game is as sexy as I want it to be. I mean, my first gen spare's live-in boyfriend wanders around like this. How much naughtier does he really need to be? ;)

wGEzLcr.png

• Options
    SarahSoda9SarahSoda9 Posts: 19 Member
    I agree it does seem to be more...safe.... then it used to be. Back in the 2000s the team was more open to pushing the game farther. It was also designed back then for an older audience but proved to be played by all ages. Would love a house party pack that brought back the cake dancers blow up furniture and cages to dance in hahaha 💃
  • Options
    I am newer to The Sims. Have played TS2 on Nintendo DS, TS3 on DS and PC, and TS4 on PC. I have noticed what you're saying though. I get the want to make the game family-friendly, but that also means tempering the realism a bit. Since I am over 18, I wouldn't mind the game being more riskae, even pushing the Teen rating to new levels (even an M version for the sake of realism).
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    P.S....Has anyone noticed that we don't even have an angry emoji for the forums? Pretty weird, right? :#

:angry: and :rage: would like a word

I think they mean on the main page of emojis, there’s not an angry one. But they now allow phone emojis so expressions are limitless 😍

Wait seriously?? When did they do that??

Wonder if this works...

🥝🍅🍆🥑🥦

Nice fruits and veg lol

Why thank you 😏
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited January 2020
    I want them to push pass and right out of it. Sims 2 felt more like a teen game than sims 4. If I didn't know the rating for sims 4, I would say the real rating is E10+ cause the game comes off as kiddie. Nothing really bad happens in the game, even when sims are fighting it come off as two kids sticking their tongues out at each other with their arms crossed. Let's not forget the Talking toilet humour, the Pee walk, constant smiling after an insult, no consequences, Truman show like neighborhood etc.

Teens today aren't really interested in playing games like the sims, that's not saying there aren't any teens playing this game but if you look at core players here, on YouTube, and tumblr it's people my age and older.

There are more 20 to 30 year old interested in the sims than ever..and a lot them are the ones who grew up playing the game. I'm not asking it to be like grand theft auto, but I would like it to have more of a mature feel, some spice, shocking and unexpected moments, with the crude silly humour still in the mix.
    giphy.gif