Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you wish The Sims 4 would push more towards the Teen rating?

Comments

• Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I have some German copies of TS1 somewhere in my garage. I bought them from a second hand store, so my set is a mix of UK/Ireland and German copies. I will have to go and verify but I think the German TS1 discs had a 6+ rating and the UK ones were somewhere in the Teen range. I live in Spain and the rating forTS4 says 12+. It probably says the same for TS3 too but those discs are also in storage in my garage. I only have one TS3 disc handy as it's in my drive and it says 12+ in one area and 6+ in another so it must be 6+ in some EU countries and 12+ in others. I'm not sure about TS2 as I don't have that installed on my computer at the moment, but Sims Medieval is and that also has a 12+ rating.

But that is the point, these things were part of all these games in the past. I remember back when I played TS1, built a house, moved my family in. Forgot to put a smoke detector in. Hit play, fire started, family went up in flames and only 2 survived. That wasn't me doing it on purpose, that was the things that could happen. I remembered being shocked at first and then I started to laugh because it was funny. So my love of mishaps and accidents has carried through all these years. To take away the elements of things that we've grown to love isn't the way.

Like others said, I don't want it to have a M+ rating, just don't water it down or take these things away.It was always part of the game's charm for me.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,972 Member
    edited January 2020
    Aw, newbies.
    Remember when a boob slider was unthinkable? Or breast feeding. It was like oh it would push the teen rating. Clubs that can woohoo anyone and everyone isn't a T for teen game. Vampires that can feed and kill. Too much for teens. The cake dancers were so tame compared to what we have now.
    I can make a trans man with a club of kids to clean his/or her (pronouns) house and it's all good.
    So yeah, it's not like it used to be.

Yeah I remember that and I bet you that slider gets used alot. :D
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Yeah putting a Sim in a swimwear piece I wouldn't call exactly sexy. Pretty normal especially for someone who has grown up in a beach town where people would walk down the street in something like that. I guess it is a location thing of where you grow up and live because in Europe that would be considered modest at their beaches.

That's underwear, and I stole it from the Ladies' department. ;) But go ahead and be dissatisfied. Clearly, you are just here to complain, so enjoy that. I'll be enjoying my games.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,127 Member
    As for an almost 40 year old, myself, I prefer the Sims 4 way of doing things for me too. I am not interested in adding more mature content than what is there already.

I'm 40, 41 in a month and I want the more mature humor back. My life is rather sedate and normal, I don't do crazy things and never have. (Although one could argue getting married at 19 was crazy. We're still married though, so...)
    Sims was always a way for me to play with those ideas. Have my Sims throw wild parties, make out with everyone, have flings, make enemies, get plastered and dance on a table or pass out on the floor. It was fun. Sims in Sims 4 barely touch or even look at each other. They don't even dance together.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,045 Member
    The T means teen, not toddler? The 'game' sure isn't aimed at the teens I know. Their single digit siblings, maybe, but not them.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,774 Member
    I miss the passion in the romantic interactions, especially making out, from Sims 2. I never played 3. Other than that, I don't really mind the difference.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member
    Daephene wrote: »
    I miss the passion in the romantic interactions, especially making out, from Sims 2. I never played 3. Other than that, I don't really mind the difference.

You mean like this?
    zRnbBRr.png
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    My game is as sexy as I want it to be. I mean, my first gen spare's live-in boyfriend wanders around like this. How much naughtier does he really need to be? ;)

wGEzLcr.png

Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all, nothing at all, nothing at all
    EMrBkJP.png
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »

That's underwear, and I stole it from the Ladies' department. ;) But go ahead and be dissatisfied. Clearly, you are just here to complain, so enjoy that. I'll be enjoying my games.
    I've used the lace underwear on guys before which I think is far more revealing but probably on personal taste. I am actually quite impressed how Gurus saw that CC artists doing lace, they decided. I do think Sims do need more underwear choices since it has been updated since that anniversary patch. Considering I'm the one who asked for unisex clothing before anyone else, "What can I say but your welcome?" Glad a complaint became a feature for you to enjoy. ;) A child friendly site called Gaiaonline actually made unisex clothing already, so it was odd a teen game didn't have it yet, so thus I asked for it.

There is actually a new Pokemon style MMO called Temtem that a Game Changer was playing and I found it interesting it allowed for non-binary pronouns. Something like that I could still see happening in the Sims 4. I heard it was because of the voices why they don't do it, but with Sims being able to pick any voices I don't see that as a stumbling block and I don't think Simmers would mind more voice options too. So yes there are things like this that are happening in other games that have kids as their target market that isn't happening in the Sims that has teens as their target market yet which I find odd since EA got this as a company recently.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    I definitely miss the "riskier" stuff from previous games. Sims 2 and 3 both had some great stuff.
  • Options
    summertaffy68summertaffy68 Posts: 211 Member
    I am personally not interested in that. I love the game the way it is now. Not everything has to be steamier or raunchy to be fun.
    1500x500.jpg
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    There are appropriate mods if one wants steamy and raunchy. There are also other games. Just let Sims 4 be what it is. It already has enough problems that aren't being dealt with.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    There are appropriate mods if one wants steamy and raunchy. There are also other games. Just let Sims 4 be what it is. It already has enough problems that aren't being dealt with.

I personally am not a huge modder so it would be nice to have those things added to the game without the use of a mod. But I do agree that there are a lot of problems that still need to be fixed.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    @sims2freak737 You realize that a 'modder' is one that creates mods themselves, right? Most of us just use mods others have created ;)

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    I have a mod that makes the pendulum on the grandfather clock tick back and forth. So far that mod hasn't broke the game. Heehee.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Nah, I'm pretty OK with the Teen rating as is, it's more inclusive for all different types of players. I like the game not taking itself too seriously or going too far into the Mature rating. The cool thing is that there are mods out there for those who want more serious or 'raunchier' gameplay experiences, you can tailor your game experience to your own tastes. Win/win.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,165 Member
    edited January 2020
    I'd like a little push into dark themes and romantic themes that may or may not be considered pushing the teen rating

as for now game is just bit too much like ''playing with dolls'' and not so much like ''life simulation''
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Lemon405Lemon405 Posts: 163 Member
    I keep seeing the argument ‘there are mods for that’...
    Yeah, there are, if you play on PC! Not everyone plays on PC, not every cares to play on PC, and there are probably a fair number of people who either don’t have one capable of playing the sims or can’t afford it.

PC isn’t the only platform with Sims 4 players, so pointing at mods and saying “just use those” is excluding a good 2/3 of the platforms this game serves.

This game has been dumbed down, watered down, and toned down to the point the content is safer than Saturday morning cartoons. 😛😑
  • Options
    vincentvega8899vincentvega8899 Posts: 103 Member
    I understand why it’s toned down now and days people are way to sensitive and selfish. I mean we don’t have a burglar anymore because it could cause some kind of post dramatic stress. Than turn around and play some games based on burglary. It’s just silliness. Going back to basics and keeping true to who you are as a game is ideal and build and adapt from there. It’s been known to be a risqué game with comical what just happened situations. It bums me out. It needs to be pushed up a level. Introduce a game pack if theres worry. Have the artwork be cation tape on the box, Sims weekend out. Where it introduces all those fun risky interactions and random encounters. Don’t make it mature, that’s just weird.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,459 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    It's a cultural thing, @Lyoufln . Americans will watch Die Hard with a smile on their face, but one little wardrobe malfunction at the Superbowl and they're up in arms about the sullying of innocence, while in the UK, one drop of blood and children are (allegedly) damaged for life, while Japan has a positively elastic definition of the word 'censorship'. Culture is different all over the world.

There's plenty of stuff in The Sims that certainly requires a 't' rating, regardless of the censors (your Sims drink, they woo-hoo, they poop, they get naked, they scrap, they die). But kids don't play this game anyway, and it would be nice if, when your Sims party, they can party hardy. The Devs no longer attempt to push the boundaries.

And let's face it, currently the romantic interactions that don't get censored by bedsheets consist mainly of giggling, getting embarassed by dirty jokes (told in Simlish) and rather chaste kisses that pretend to be passionate.

In Germany the game is rated 6+ and rightfully so.

I agree that TS4 should become more risky and mature, but on the other hand we live in darker times compared to the 2000s. I'm for example really grateful to Maxis that they emphasize homosexuality and trans people even if that means a 18+ rating in Russia and economic losses.
  • Options
    Lemon405 wrote: »
    I keep seeing the argument ‘there are mods for that’...
    Yeah, there are, if you play on PC! Not everyone plays on PC, not every cares to play on PC, and there are probably a fair number of people who either don’t have one capable of playing the sims or can’t afford it.

PC isn’t the only platform with Sims 4 players, so pointing at mods and saying “just use those” is excluding a good 2/3 of the platforms this game serves.

This game has been dumbed down, watered down, and toned down to the point the content is safer than Saturday morning cartoons. 😛😑

Good point. I agree. Like people playing games on their phones. :)
    There should be DLC's to upgrade the game on those.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2020
    I understand why it’s toned down now and days people are way to sensitive and selfish. I mean we don’t have a burglar anymore because it could cause some kind of post dramatic stress. Than turn around and play some games based on burglary. It’s just silliness. Going back to basics and keeping true to who you are as a game is ideal and build and adapt from there. It’s been known to be a risqué game with comical what just happened situations. It bums me out. It needs to be pushed up a level. Introduce a game pack if theres worry. Have the artwork be cation tape on the box, Sims weekend out. Where it introduces all those fun risky interactions and random encounters. Don’t make it mature, that’s just weird.
    Sigh it has become a millennial game which sadly according to the stereotype definition "Psychologist Jean Twenge described millennials as "Generation Me" in her 2006 book Generation Me: Why Today’s Young Americans Are More Confident, Assertive, Entitled – and More Miserable Than Ever Before" and "sociologist Kathleen Shaputis labeled millennials as the Boomerang Generation or Peter Pan generation because of the members' perceived tendency for delaying some rites of passage into adulthood for longer periods than most generations before them and then Strauss and Howe ascribe seven basic traits to the millennial cohort: special, sheltered, confident, team-oriented, conventional, pressured, and achieving."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

So marketing wise stereotypes are used rather than consulting psychologist on what emotions are really like. Sims 4 wasn't going for the life simulation route it seems according to this video which explains why stereotypes of media were used rather than really studying how emotions really work:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOiYMtwINXI

I really miss the cops and robbers and kids playing cops and robbers. Sims 4 doesn't have a lot of consequences and when it does it gets nerfed down to E rated status again. For example vampires, aliens, spell casters, and Murphy bed probably will be too. Sims 4 kind of represents a totalitarian lifestyle of utopia and if anything history has shown there are severe consequences promoting that kind of thinking especially towards younger people that absorb that information and attitude like sponges. It is like no more dark humor, no more cheeky innuendo humor which is common for PG movies that Pixar/Disney release, no more consequences, and just getting representation of other cultures and ages and genders results in very toxic responses. I feel like I'm an old soul because I don't fit into the stereotype of a millennial. I'm family oriented, open-minded, an empath, patient, tenacious, inspirational, have a dry wit, leader, independent, humble, and long-suffering just to name a few traits. Probably a bit more complicated that a simulated person, but knowing that a life simulation is hard to create helps strengthen my conviction too.

I'm just different and it is hard to portray that with a game that has Sims mimic one another in the stereotype that everyone has to be exactly the same in order to be accepted into society. I guess in a way, Sims 4 is a special snowflake in that it is the first iteration to mimic an E for everyone game with MySims being a "safe space" Utopian game and with so many Gurus that worked on the game I can't say that I am shocked. I was just hoping that the Gurus that had worked on Sims Medieval would bring some of that teen rated maturity and humor to the Sims 4. But nope, I'm stuck with childish potty humor instead.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited January 2020
    Scobre wrote: »
    Sigh it has become a millennial game which sadly according to the stereotype definition "Psychologist Jean Twenge described millennials as "Generation Me" in her 2006 book Generation Me: Why Today’s Young Americans Are More Confident, Assertive, Entitled – and More Miserable Than Ever Before" and "sociologist Kathleen Shaputis labeled millennials as the Boomerang Generation or Peter Pan generation because of the members' perceived tendency for delaying some rites of passage into adulthood for longer periods than most generations before them and then Strauss and Howe ascribe seven basic traits to the millennial cohort: special, sheltered, confident, team-oriented, conventional, pressured, and achieving."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

So marketing wise stereotypes are used rather than consulting psychologist on what emotions are really like. Sims 4 wasn't going for the life simulation route it seems according to this video which explains why stereotypes of media were used rather than really studying how emotions really work:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOiYMtwINXI

I really miss the cops and robbers and kids playing cops and robbers. Sims 4 doesn't have a lot of consequences and when it does it gets nerfed down to E rated status again. For example vampires, aliens, spell casters, and Murphy bed probably will be too. Sims 4 kind of represents a totalitarian lifestyle of utopia and if anything history has shown there are severe consequences promoting that kind of thinking especially towards younger people that absorb that information and attitude like sponges. It is like no more dark humor, no more cheeky innuendo humor which is common for PG movies that Pixar/Disney release, no more consequences, and just getting representation of other cultures and ages and genders results in very toxic responses. I feel like I'm an old soul because I don't fit into the stereotype of a millennial. I'm family oriented, open-minded, an empath, patient, tenacious, inspirational, have a dry wit, leader, independent, humble, and long-suffering just to name a few traits. Probably a bit more complicated that a simulated person, but knowing that a life simulation is hard to create helps strengthen my conviction too.

I'm just different and it is hard to portray that with a game that has Sims mimic one another in the stereotype that everyone has to be exactly the same in order to be accepted into society. I guess in a way, Sims 4 is a special snowflake in that it is the first iteration to mimic an E for everyone game with MySims being a "safe space" Utopian game and with so many Gurus that worked on the game I can't say that I am shocked. I was just hoping that the Gurus that had worked on Sims Medieval would bring some of that teen rated maturity and humor to the Sims 4. But nope, I'm stuck with childish potty humor instead.

If I remember correctly, millennials were roughly born between the 80s-mid 90s. All millennials are adults, with some of them pushing 40.

I’ve heard other people say the marketing demographic for the Sims 4 has been for teenage girls (born in the 2000s). Teenagers are not millennials, and when this game came out the youngest millennials were just finishing up high school.

Complaining the younger generation is lazy is nothing new. People have been doing it for literally forever. Millennials are dealing with a very different world than their parents. A lot of it is great stuff, but there’s also some terrible realities (like climate change). I have many millennial friends, and most of them are struggling with their mental health, employment, or even just affording a place to live. The 24-hour news cycle doesn’t help either (it’s stressful getting the constant stream of news. I usually read it daily, but sometimes you’ve got to take a break).

I agree with you in that emotions in TS4 are a little extreme. Personally, it drives me bonkers that my sims could be sad because someone died but then instantly happy because they walked into their nicely decorated house. Oh, and that there’s no fear emotion. But I’m not sure if blaming a generational stereotype for why a game seems ‘toned down’ in some aspects is right. Maybe it has some truth to it, but the stereotyped emotions might also be because of budget and time contracts during initial develop, or some other factors we don’t know.
    Post edited by Lyoufln on
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    P.S....Has anyone noticed that we don't even have an angry emoji for the forums? Pretty weird, right? :#

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking the other night. But, yeah, phone emojis work, too!
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I miss it too, but I think only because the game doesn't push the envelope anywhere (Personalities, negative emotions, etc. all the things people have mentioned before on the forum). If it pushed boundaries in gameplay I wouldn't care whether or not it did so in humor. I just want something.