Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you wish The Sims 4 would push more towards the Teen rating?

Hey Simmers. I feel like The Sims 4 hasn't been pushing the Teen rating quite like other generations of The Sims and I was wondering if anyone else felt this as well. The recent survey had a question about which things you enjoyed from previous Sims games and under "Other" I said the male/female cake dancers from The Sims House Party. All of the sudden I started taking a look at The Sims 4 and felt it doesn't quite play with the risky humor like The Sims 1-3. It seems to take a more family friendly approach. Even the trailers seem toned down. For example, The Sims 3 University Life trailer with Sims making out and WooHooing all over the place, or Island Paradise mentioning building a "watery love nest" where you can make the mistakes that will haunt you for a lifetime?

Remember The Sims 3 Master Suite Stuff with all the new lingerie and underwear, The Sims 3 Late Night with Sims dancing on the tables and getting into bar fights, the Vibromatic Heart Bed from Sims - Sims 3, the suggestive Claire the Bear from Hot Date.

I'm sure there's more that I'm missing but I was just curious if anyone else would like The Sims 4 to be a little more bold with their Teen rating.

Comments

• Options
    keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    I know what you mean. Even as someone who usually plays the family route, I still miss making my crazy aunt dance on the table/counter at family parties and the steamy couch makeout interaction for couples. TS4's couch makeout is very... PG. :D
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I prefer it how it is now tbh but I know a lot of others feel the same way as you.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Well they keep giving us new woohoo locations so...
  • Options
    Bren91Bren91 Posts: 309 Member
    I think for the sake of humor that past games have had it should push more towards the T rating.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Frankly, I don't care about the vibrating bed (I think it's tacky as heck anymore since we have more ways to have children), but I do like the more adult humor from the earlier games.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I really like the game as it is, and I think it's perfectly fine without pushing the rating even more. I like to leave the darker stuff to mods I can take out whenever I want.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,538 Member
    P.S....Has anyone noticed that we don't even have an angry emoji for the forums? Pretty weird, right? :#
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,762 Member
    I think they should, the game could use more serious emotions and reactions. This is a life simulator and we should be able to have the option to add things to our game that are from the more serious and realistic aspects of life. The sims4 feels sometimes little too much like a dream world.
  • Options
    StilettoBlackStilettoBlack Posts: 3,844 Member
    Aw, newbies.
    Remember when a boob slider was unthinkable? Or breast feeding. It was like oh it would push the teen rating. Clubs that can woohoo anyone and everyone isn't a T for teen game. Vampires that can feed and kill. Too much for teens. The cake dancers were so tame compared to what we have now.
    I can make a trans man with a club of kids to clean his/or her (pronouns) house and it's all good.
    So yeah, it's not like it used to be.
  • Options
    sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    Aw, newbies.
    Remember when a boob slider was unthinkable? Or breast feeding. It was like oh it would push the teen rating. Clubs that can woohoo anyone and everyone isn't a T for teen game. Vampires that can feed and kill. Too much for teens. The cake dancers were so tame compared to what we have now.
    I can make a trans man with a club of kids to clean his/or her (pronouns) house and it's all good.
    So yeah, it's not like it used to be.

I'm not quite sure if you're being sarcastic or not haha

I've been playing The Sims for years since the first game (not exactly a Bob Newbie here) and I would still consider breast sliders, breast feeding and transgender Sims fairly tame in the world today. Those are more cultural aspects that have just changed over time and become more accepted and understood by society in real life and thus being added to a life simulation game. The cake dancers back in the early 2000's were probably considered a little more risky and fit the teen rating. I played at 12 or 13 years old and remember thinking it was funny but not quite grasping I was hiring male/female adult entertainer for my Sims' parties. Plus the music that played as they danced, their revealing outfits, the song that would play during a passionate kiss in The Sims, or the "raunchy" video that would play for a Sims' first Woohoo in The Sims 2, or the male/female entertainers you could hire for a bachelor(ette) party in The Sims 3 Generations wouldn't dare be added to The Sims 4 today.

Sure the little pixelated cake dancers seem tame now, but if those exact Sims were created identically with the same outfits, animations, simlish and music for The Sims 4, it would probably be scrapped or toned down to a more family friendly scene.
  • Options
    sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    edited January 2020
    Here's a video of the female entertainer if anyone isn't familiar with what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqnar-h4zmM

The Sims 2 First Woohoo Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QynPTcD2_E8

The Sims 3 Master Suite Stuff trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3puuNxeNnM
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited January 2020
    I would definitely like for the game to be a little more mature but I still love it either way.
  • Options
    VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    All these comments made me remember the fact in Sims 3 your sim's lover/love interest could send you nudes in the mail.
    "(Insert sim) got a love letter from (love interest)! It says: "Hey cutie. Here's a little something I made while I was thinking about you." Oh, it looks like there's a photograph in here of - WHOA!!"
    I'm not really itching for more stuff like that, but I still find it weird they got rid of the make out interaction when standing up and felt they toned it way down. Seriously the Sims 3 "Make out on bed" interaction will make you think you're being a creep watching them.
    EMrBkJP.png
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Well, kind of. I wish they hadn't defanged the vampires, and that spells had more edge. But Sims 4 is a special mixture of dreamy fashion princesses and sudden absurd deaths.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    P.S....Has anyone noticed that we don't even have an angry emoji for the forums? Pretty weird, right? :#

:angry: and :rage: would like a word
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

I think they mean on the main page of emojis, there’s not an angry one. But they now allow phone emojis so expressions are limitless 😍
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Ha I miss the fun “adult” stuff of TS1 - 3. I felt like I was playing adults instead of now I feel like I’m playing giant stuffed kiddybears.
  • Options
    peragogoperagogo Posts: 223 Member
    Here’s a theory: The Sims 4 is more chaste, not because of “safe spaces”, but because it was supposed to be online multiplayer and being a Teen game with more raunchy make outs and lewds would have been a PR nightmare waiting to happen. When that ship sailed, going back to re-raunch some things would have cost too much money. The difference between woohoo in an observatory vs make out in a closet kinda highlights the difference, I think.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member

I think they mean on the main page of emojis, there’s not an angry one. But they now allow phone emojis so expressions are limitless 😍

Wait seriously?? When did they do that??

Wonder if this works...

🥝🍅🍆🥑🥦
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Hey Simmers. I feel like The Sims 4 hasn't been pushing the Teen rating quite like other generations of The Sims and I was wondering if anyone else felt this as well. The recent survey had a question about which things you enjoyed from previous Sims games and under "Other" I said the male/female cake dancers from The Sims House Party. All of the sudden I started taking a look at The Sims 4 and felt it doesn't quite play with the risky humor like The Sims 1-3. It seems to take a more family friendly approach. Even the trailers seem toned down. For example, The Sims 3 University Life trailer with Sims making out and WooHooing all over the place, or Island Paradise mentioning building a "watery love nest" where you can make the mistakes that will haunt you for a lifetime?

Remember The Sims 3 Master Suite Stuff with all the new lingerie and underwear, The Sims 3 Late Night with Sims dancing on the tables and getting into bar fights, the Vibromatic Heart Bed from Sims - Sims 3, the suggestive Claire the Bear from Hot Date.

I'm sure there's more that I'm missing but I was just curious if anyone else would like The Sims 4 to be a little more bold with their Teen rating.

This is the worst thing about sims 4. I like the game anyway, but it lost it's insane humour and, as you so well said, they stoped being bold. I don't know how much this teen rating can hold them, or if they just push the trends of political correctness to the max, but i miss that part of the game. I think that's why this iteration gets more hate than others. Life needs that part. And so do the sims.
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited January 2020
    I think it has more to do with EA's laziness than it does with them creating a more 'family friendly' game... the developers simply don't care about the players anymore. They only care about making money at this point... The Sims has become a huge cash cow for EA, so they're milking it to death, while giving us very minimal content.

By their logic (which is true), they don't need to "waste" resources or money on anything you mentioned because players are willing to buy whatever they throw at us, regardless of the quality... sadly, we allow this to happen over and over again. Since the beginning, we've proven to them that we'd buy anything Sims related, so they figure they could release packs with less and less content/features every time.

It's sad, but true... us players are (unfortunately) partially responsible for EA's laziness and greediness. They noticed a trend that we set and have taken advantage of it ever since... and now the packs are lacking quality because they know we'll buy them anyway.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg