Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Not So Berry Legacy Challenge

Comments

• Options
    LilyBear94LilyBear94 Posts: 108 Member
    @Endereclipsed Thank you! :smiley:
  • Options
    FaoiltearnaFaoiltearna Posts: 767 Member
    So has anybody gotten to Gen 7 (Pink) yet? My brain keeps having difficulties with the fact that you're Criminal Mastermind in Gen 6 (Orange) but then in Gen 7 you have this: "You grew up poor and are living paycheck to paycheck working in the business career just as your parents did." If you're in the 7th Generation of a Legacy that's doing even moderately well, (and given that you have to master the careers for almost all of the other legacies you should be doing more than moderately well), you shouldn't be living paycheck to paycheck. Nor can you follow in your parents' business footsteps when at least one of your parents was a criminal mastermind.

Am I missing something?
  • Options
    IntrovertSaraIntrovertSara Posts: 49 Member
    So has anybody gotten to Gen 7 (Pink) yet? My brain keeps having difficulties with the fact that you're Criminal Mastermind in Gen 6 (Orange) but then in Gen 7 you have this: "You grew up poor and are living paycheck to paycheck working in the business career just as your parents did." If you're in the 7th Generation of a Legacy that's doing even moderately well, (and given that you have to master the careers for almost all of the other legacies you should be doing more than moderately well), you shouldn't be living paycheck to paycheck. Nor can you follow in your parents' business footsteps when at least one of your parents was a criminal mastermind.

Am I missing something?

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense, but you can spin it however you want. I see it more as a writing prompt rather than the actual story.

In my challenge, for example, Ginger (Gen 6)'s kids don't know she's a criminal. They didn't have financial difficulties, but Ginger just got them the bare essentials. It was dirty money, which made it dangerous for her to use frequently, plus she was evil. There was resentment between them. She didn't like that their dad never married her or turned her into a vampire. Once Coral (who she discovered inherited the vamp gene) and Dahlia (Gen 7) grew up, she gave them just enough to move out. Eventually her money was lost to "pay for retirement."

So, basically, the description sentence doesn't have to be the full story. Add some flavor, and even use it as a way to play with other mechanics (like vampires and the money cheat, in my case).
  • Options

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense, but you can spin it however you want. I see it more as a writing prompt rather than the actual story.

In my challenge, for example, Ginger (Gen 6)'s kids don't know she's a criminal. They didn't have financial difficulties, but Ginger just got them the bare essentials. It was dirty money, which made it dangerous for her to use frequently, plus she was evil. There was resentment between them. She didn't like that their dad never married her or turned her into a vampire. Once Coral (who she discovered inherited the vamp gene) and Dahlia (Gen 7) grew up, she gave them just enough to move out. Eventually her money was lost to "pay for retirement."

So, basically, the description sentence doesn't have to be the full story. Add some flavor, and even use it as a way to play with other mechanics (like vampires and the money cheat, in my case).

Thanks! I'd thought of something along those lines, "Yeah kids, I'm in business (not necessarily saying which business). Now I gotta get to the office before I'm late."
  • Options
    IntrovertSaraIntrovertSara Posts: 49 Member
    Shadami wrote: »
    Gen 4 rule 5. Is it necessary to have the movie night pack for that one?

Technically, but you can just have them watch TV together.
  • Options
    EternaltricksterEternaltrickster Posts: 9 New Member
    Wait... ya'll how do I post photos? (Sorry I'm new and a bit stupid)
  • Options
    @Eternaltrickster New members can't post photos unfortunately :frowning:
    Here's a link to a new member forum, it explains everything for you: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/770609/member-or-new-member-everything-you-need-to-know/p1
    And for when you do become a member, here's a photo posting tutorial: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/830602/tutorial-how-to-upload-pictures-to-this-forum/p1

If you want, you could upload your photos to a photo uploading website, such as imgur, and just post the link :smile:
  • Options
    @Faoiltearna Yeah, I agree with you. Doesn't really make sense. About halfway into my orange gen sim's young adult life, she already had more than enough money to move out of her apartment. By the time she was an adult, she was able to happily move out into a spacious, nice house. Currently got 40k in the bank too, so definitely far from poor. The criminal career starts to pay pretty well once you get to about level 5 of the career.
    Already got a house picked out for my pink sim, and it's pretty nice considering she's supposed to be living pay check to pay check.
    The way I'm going to try and get around it is by saying that since the pink sim so desperately wants to be a writer, when she's at her business career, she cannot focus and gets no work done. Kind of like JK Rowling's story haha. It doesn't really solve the money issue, but to help with the money issue (this might be in the rules anyway, I'm not sure), I'm making it a rule that my sim can't publish any books until she's an adult.'
    That's all I've come up with so far :frowning:
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    Shadami wrote: »
    Gen 4 rule 5. Is it necessary to have the movie night pack for that one?

Technically, but you can just have them watch TV together.

Okay cool, cause I think That's the only thing I'm missing now. I think I've finally managed to get the rest of the packs needed for this and can start soon :D
  • Options
    EternaltricksterEternaltrickster Posts: 9 New Member
    @LilyBear94
    Thanks for letting me know and putting all the links! I was just sitting here real confused until you commented, so thanks.
  • Options
    LilyBear94 wrote: »
    @Faoiltearna Yeah, I agree with you. Doesn't really make sense. About halfway into my orange gen sim's young adult life, she already had more than enough money to move out of her apartment. By the time she was an adult, she was able to happily move out into a spacious, nice house. Currently got 40k in the bank too, so definitely far from poor. The criminal career starts to pay pretty well once you get to about level 5 of the career.
    Already got a house picked out for my pink sim, and it's pretty nice considering she's supposed to be living pay check to pay check.
    The way I'm going to try and get around it is by saying that since the pink sim so desperately wants to be a writer, when she's at her business career, she cannot focus and gets no work done. Kind of like JK Rowling's story haha. It doesn't really solve the money issue, but to help with the money issue (this might be in the rules anyway, I'm not sure), I'm making it a rule that my sim can't publish any books until she's an adult.'
    That's all I've come up with so far :frowning:

That's a great idea! I think I'm going to go with the backstory of thinking their following in Orange's footsteps (maybe one of them actually is in the business career, but doesn't get all the way to the top, so it seems like a dead-end job to Pink), and then I might borrow from you as well that the publishing can't happen til later. :smiley:
  • Options
    @Eternaltrickster No problem! Just ask if you need anything else :)
  • Options
    iHannah17iHannah17 Posts: 5 New Member
    I keep moving houses during the first generation and every single time I always sell all my furniture including my elements collection and have to start all over :'( :p
  • Options
    FizzstixFizzstix Posts: 990 Member
    @iHannah17 That is just a bummer. If you place the element holder in the household inventory before you move (sell all the furniture) the elements won't get sold. Perhaps you already know this and just keep forgetting to do that, but wanted to let you know, just in case you didn't.
  • Options
    storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    I've been like, pretty much under a rock playing the Sims as a whole all these years... but I recently vaguely found out about Berry Sims but not in detail. I love your idea of modifying the challenge to your own rules and preferences :) I think I may try this one out after my current legacy! Thanks for sharing. Even though I'm very late lol.
  • Options
    swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    I thought the "have family movie night with your spouse and children every Sunday" during the Grey generation was silly but look how adorable my little family is during it!

O4LX1MX.png
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    MakoSimsMakoSims Posts: 284 Member
    So, I finally started this challenge about a week or 2 ago & I'm having a blast so far. I haven't felt this inspired playing the Sims in a long time.

My Rose gen heir has just turned into a teenager (gen 1 always goes by so fast). I'm planning on blogging my progress at some point (I'm having too much fun playing to write anything right now though) so I won't post anything too far ahead yet but here is one of my favourite pictures of my founder:

I6Qbw5i.png

She has so much fun tormenting others (the voodoo doll is tied to Don Lothario btw).

I'm really enjoying exploring the science career. I never got that far in the career before (same with the other active careers so I'm excited to play those in the future too) and all the gadgets are fun. My sim is quite partial to the freeze ray and Thorne Bailey is one of her favourite victims.
    Origin ID: sakura-drops
  • Options
    MakoSims wrote: »

She has so much fun tormenting others (the voodoo doll is tied to Don Lothario btw).

I'm really enjoying exploring the science career. I never got that far in the career before (same with the other active careers so I'm excited to play those in the future too) and all the gadgets are fun. My sim is quite partial to the freeze ray and Thorne Bailey is one of her favourite victims.

Jillian's (my founder) voodoo doll is bound to Katrina Caliente. She's got a second that may wind up getting bound to Clara Bjergsen. Katrina she's only mildly annoyed with. Clara and Jillian struck off badly from the beginning, and it's just continued to go downhill. They're not complete enemies yet, but it's heading that way. The funny thing is, she gets along well with almost everyone else she meets. Her chain mail recipients aren't happy with her, but eh... nothing that can be done about that.

I actually changed out the science career as I've maxed out science so often that I wanted a change, and hadn't played with the garderner career yet. She's gone the botanist route, so she's still doing research and such.

Rosalind (my rose generation) is a child now, and that hot-headed trait has made things a little more complicated, but she's an 'A' student, and is progressing through her scouting quite well. She's on her final milestone in the Social Butterfly aspiration. She's getting a friendly reputation (I decided that the fame thing made sense for her, as many of our politicians wind up being famous or infamous as they get more well known for their political doings), and is starting to work on her fame standings. :)

• Options
    LetslyLetsly Posts: 3 New Member
    I finished the challenge after 7 months! This challenge was fun and tiring at the same time! These were my heirs:

Generation 1-Mint-Molly Berry

Generation 2-Rose-Rebecca Berry

Generation 3-Yellow-Yasmin Berry (I like calling her Yazzy)

Generation 4-Grey-Gabriela Berry

Generation 5-Plum-Pippa Berry (when she was a toddler, I called her Pippa-Plum and I kept calling her that until she died)

Generation 6-Orange-Oaklynn Berry

Generation 7-Pink-Penny Berry

Generation 8-Peach-Paige Berry

Generation 9-Green-Gracie Berry

Generation 10-Blue-Becky Berry
  • Options
    SaphiregirlgamerSaphiregirlgamer Posts: 449 Member
    Wow good job I’m still on gen 1 since I haven’t really played it that much
  • Options
    @MakoSims Your gen 1 sim is so pretty! And that's a great photo with the voodoo doll, really captures her mischief haha
  • Options
    MakoSimsMakoSims Posts: 284 Member

Jillian's (my founder) voodoo doll is bound to Katrina Caliente. She's got a second that may wind up getting bound to Clara Bjergsen. Katrina she's only mildly annoyed with. Clara and Jillian struck off badly from the beginning, and it's just continued to go downhill. They're not complete enemies yet, but it's heading that way. The funny thing is, she gets along well with almost everyone else she meets. Her chain mail recipients aren't happy with her, but eh... nothing that can be done about that.

I actually changed out the science career as I've maxed out science so often that I wanted a change, and hadn't played with the garderner career yet. She's gone the botanist route, so she's still doing research and such.

Rosalind (my rose generation) is a child now, and that hot-headed trait has made things a little more complicated, but she's an 'A' student, and is progressing through her scouting quite well. She's on her final milestone in the Social Butterfly aspiration. She's getting a friendly reputation (I decided that the fame thing made sense for her, as many of our politicians wind up being famous or infamous as they get more well known for their political doings), and is starting to work on her fame standings. :)

I have the same thing. Most people are totally cool with her doing mischief actions but Don gets it a lot worse than others. Most of the time the voodoo doll doesn't work on him (or it does and the effects aren't very visible) so that's a bummer.

I'm trying to make the most of the hot-headed trait but my sim honestly doesn't get angry all too often so I kind of have to force it. I'm trying to give him the Argumentative & Uncontrolled Emotions trait to shake things up a little (might try for the responsible trait too since gen 2 is supposed to be a workaholic but it's not a priority). He's almost in range to get Argumentative but his emotional control is still in the green.

The fame thing is a pretty good idea. I wonder how famous you can get through the politician career. I haven't tested it yet.
    LilyBear94 wrote: »
    @MakoSims Your gen 1 sim is so pretty! And that's a great photo with the voodoo doll, really captures her mischief haha

Thanks! She played with the voodoo doll autonomously & I thought it summed up her personality perfectly.
    Origin ID: sakura-drops
  • Options
    CasplazaCasplaza Posts: 3 New Member
    I am in love with this challenge! I've been watching Vixella do it for months and finally decided to do it my self and I am so happy I did! It is so much fun!
  • Options
    JmaraaJmaraa Posts: 217 Member
    Letsly wrote: »
    I finished the challenge after 7 months! This challenge was fun and tiring at the same time! These were my heirs:

Generation 1-Mint-Molly Berry

Generation 2-Rose-Rebecca Berry

Generation 3-Yellow-Yasmin Berry (I like calling her Yazzy)

Generation 4-Grey-Gabriela Berry

Generation 5-Plum-Pippa Berry (when she was a toddler, I called her Pippa-Plum and I kept calling her that until she died)

Generation 6-Orange-Oaklynn Berry

Generation 7-Pink-Penny Berry

Generation 8-Peach-Paige Berry

Generation 9-Green-Gracie Berry

Generation 10-Blue-Becky Berry

Did you take pics at all? Do you write simlits or just do gameplay?
    Simming Since '00; Forum Member '13; SimLit Blogger '14; SimLit Critic '18

Current Story: https://simslegacy2020.wordpress.com My 2020 Legacy Story - A 10 Generation Legacy Challenge
    Sim Choice Awards 2018! || My Full Wordpress || Twitter: Jmaraasims
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @Letsly - Congratulations on completing the challenge!! Was there any generation that you felt was the most challenging or one that was your favorite? I'm currently in Gen 3, Yellow and I'm struggling to get through it. I literally only have one thing to complete (maxing out the career) and I just took a very long break from playing. I'm hoping to resume the challenge as Gen 4 looks quite interesting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top