Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    SimGuruLyndsay is giving some awesome and insightful Dev Facts on Twitter right now:

https://twitter.com/SimGuruLyndsay/with_replies
  • Options
    @LenaDieters11 @lulubadwolf let's keep the hope alive!
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Simanite wrote: »

*try to painfully not buying any tickets for the hype train*
    But geez, this can be a small light of hope

I'm wondering, if they are working on Toddlers (which why would they not?) then I feel like they may have gone into an "Overdrive" phase recently. Remember how they talked about how the Gender Patch took about a year to plan and finish, but they only started going full ham on it during January. They'd have time to gather ideas from the Toddler Idea thread, which they've just moved to Ideas, and we know that they've pretty much finished up on the EP, only having to polish it since it's been rated in Brazil, so we know the EP team don't much else to do, besides planning for EP4. Ugh... must... resist... Hype... Train...
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member

Wish that I could actually play that hype train. :expressionless:
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Chains Myself to the railings so I cannot board the Hype Train what so ever, :)
  • Options
    lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    edited August 2016
    my optimistic part is already on the hype train while my pessimistic part try to take the other away.
    I'm literally fighting myself :D
    Edit: in September it will be the anniversary of the sims 4, if there is not any announcement or even clue my pessimistic part will take the control
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member

Wish that I could actually play that hype train. :expressionless:

Me too. Then I'd seriously have to fight my husband for the PS4.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    asouthernwriterasouthernwriter Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited August 2016
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    Did you peeps see the new 'ask a guru' thread in gd? I couldn't resist popping in with a few questions but you can bet your bottom dollar that they won't get answered. They always ignore me.

I refrained from asking about toddlers altogether...

Just saw it, started reading, but had to quit before I threw up. It seems more like a fawning "let's be BFFs" thread, but then I'm old and cynical. I'm waiting for "what's your favorite color" and "what's your college major" questions. :|

ETA: I decided to put on my big girl pants and read it all. Plus I posed a question about toddlers. Not asking if they'll come or not, but what was the real reason as to why they weren't included in the base game, since we were told conflicting reasons.

I feel like they'll add that in for a "History of Development for Toddlers in the Base Game" if they decide to something like that.

But anyway, I hope that doesn't fall into the jurisdiction of "future content," because there's always been confusion about why they did it exactly. If I were to guess, I'd say time, plus the dreaded "telemetry," although I feel like that would be more of an executive decision, or at least one influenced by higher-ups who deemed them as "not profitable enough" (trust me, if you add them in, you'll be drowning in profits for the rest of the life-span- provided you continue to fix the problems) than one the whole team would actually agree on.

But most of the questions I've seen have been more about how they choose what goes into packs, deciding how to implement it, making sure there would be enough ideas for the pack to work, how to decide what does and doesn't get cut. So it's not just "personal life stuff." I feel like @SimGuruDrake would honestly be disappointed if it was just stuff like that, because I remember her saying in the Drake feedback thread that she wouldn't appreciate a forum that was "sunshine and rainbows" as she put it.

I posted some questions and was asking if they we're able to implement new life stages and life states into the game and I noticed that life stages was edited and crossed out but the other wasn't. Aren't they both considered future content? BTW, with life stages I wasn't just talking about toddlers. Someone asked about Preteens and it wasn't edited.

• Options
    asouthernwriterasouthernwriter Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited August 2016
    asouthernwriter's comment was also edited by SGD to remove the comment "is it possible to add more life stages to TS4" but she kept "is it possible to add new life states" and "is it possible to add cars." I don't understand how life stages are different to cars and supernaturals, aren't they all future content?

I'm just now seeing this comment. I though that was really odd that it was edited. I probably have my suspicions why it happened though...
    Post edited by asouthernwriter on
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Well guys looks like i wont be playing the sims for a,while. My husband broke my laptop charger port and i took it to geek squad and got quoted 300 to fix. Im just going to buy a new computer but the one I want is 1200 (its and asus gaming laptop) so I have to do some saving. I'm really depressed because he knows how much the game means to me when I'm stressed out and he doesnt care about my things. Only his own gaming consoles. And to come home and not be able to charge my laptop hurts. I told myself if im going to buy a new one im going for the best. I will still be lingering here in the forums but sadly I wont be able to enjoy my game until further notice.

Happy simming everyone..
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I didn't get the chance to do it on the Questions for Gamescom Q&A thread before SGDrake closed it but thank you @Sim_Lucent and @Cabelle1863 for the kind words, and I was glad to write that post. I don't know if we'll ever get an actual apology everything leading up to The Sims 4 and after it but maybe SGDrake saw it and will send word to the right people or something.

It seriously surprises me that it's never happened. If they'd just come out and said something like this:
    'We apologize. Yes, we said things, we took back things, we (choose: intentionally or unintentionally, maybe it's both, I don't know, the fact is they did it) misled you. We could've said some things better, we could've done some things better. We broke your trust and faith in us. We understand why some of you still have issues trusting us. We understand it's going to take a while to earn that trust back and the current law does not help, but we're dedicated to doing it’.
    I don't think a lot of us would be as angry. It's just going to keep building until they acknowledge the elephant in the room. How are we supposed to have faith in and trust in EA/Maxis should there be a Sims 5 if this is how they treated us with the Sims 4.

I personally think an apology around the Sims 3 is owed as well because even though I had few problems doesn't mean there weren't serious problems. I though, 'How can I trust them to fix anything that may go wrong in TS4 if they haven't even fixed TS3.' If modders could unofficially fix routing issues, could EA/Maxis themselves officially fix it?

I actually plan on asking about Sims 3 in the Ask a Guru Game Development thread. It's past content, so we can discuss them maybe fixing it, right? Is that productive? Does that count as future content because they may plan on doing something about that past content in the future? One can never be sure but I definitely want to ask about TS3's routing and the attraction system. May even include the adventure board and the school/stadium.

It's too bad they can't discuss potential future content because while my interest in 4 has faded I'm still interested in a possible TS5 and I'd love to ask about large and open towns/cities in the future, that are "connected" through loading screens, a go between of click and pull and sliders in future CAS, and life stages. TS3 kind of did it with traveling to Uni or a foreign country but I feel they really missed an opportunity to let us travel between towns, work, build relationships and move without losing relationships. So much depth I can go into with that...
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    I've given up hope, haha. That's not me being a pessimist, that's me looking at the track record of EA and its past game flub-ups and coming to a conclusion. If we ever get more family play -- actual family play, not just interacting with items -- I'll be happy. If we don't get it, meh. I'll shrug and move on. I haven't been able to play TS4 for more than maybe an hour or two in the last...what...year?, so it doesn't make much difference to me.

I feel bad. I feel bad because I'm so numb regarding The Sims. I was so deeply in love with the game as a child and I relied on it wholly in order to deal with so many garbage things that happened to me in my life. But you know what? Maybe The Sims just isn't for me anymore. I've tried making TS3 families and I can't get myself to stay attached to any of them for more than a week. I play TS2 and I miss features that came in later versions of the game, so I can't play that for very long either. And HA to TS4. So maybe that's it. Maybe I need to mod my other games to have Sims-esque features or find games from other companies that manage to scratch that itch I have.

I don't know. But I think I'm heading out? I'll pop my head in every once in a blue moon, maybe, but as it stands, I think....I think I'm good. I think I'm okay with putting the forums down. Years ago, I had a thread of mine hidden by Drake. It was about communication. I was never told why it was hidden, it was just...hidden away. No one could find it beyond the people that typed in it while it was still visible. I should have gone with my gut feeling back then that something was up, but I wanted to give the forum another chance because @sparkfairy1 made it seem like it was the right thing to do.

If there were a way to share it with all of you (without getting possibly banned from the forums and all of my games access HAHAHA), I would. But it was a thread so full of people wanting more from communications with EA. More transparency. More honesty. And it was hidden. Locked away for no one to ever see. I should have gone with my gut. I should have acknowledged the sign for what it was. These forums, to me, don't seem like a place where there's real and honest communication. It feels like the happy-go-lucky people are treated with love and care and pushed to the top while the reasonably upset people are shushed and "placated" by "maybe later, honey"s.

To those that visit this thread, you guys are great! You kept the positivity going. It's a lot of work to do that. But this forum as a whole...it's depressing. It's depressing. I'm depressed. As in "thinking about the facade that's so forcefully kept up by the Gurus and higher starts sliding me into depressive episodes". So I'm outtie 5000. Been real! :kissing_heart:
  • Options
    simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    This thread moved fast during the night.

Good to se you back @sparkfairy1 :)

I see "The thread" was deleted, what an anticlimax :disappointed: I had a small hope for, maybe not an apology, but some kind of recognition to people feeling so upset, but no.

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,559 Member
    @Simanite - yes, I'm still doing my scrapbooks and will also do some ts2 ones too.

@MzPigglyPooh so sorry about your laptop, I hope you can afford to replace it soon.

This place really is just too depressing now, even this thread has become so with all the people leaving. I think I'm going to just stay in ts2 forum for a while. I'll still be around but I just don't want to read anything to do with ts4 any more. I'm not even going to bother returning to that ask a guru thread, waste of space.

Hugs to all <3
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Okay this might seem plum and just a dream, but I read Drake's post and she said "Any as long as it isn't tied to asking about future content (i.e. Toddlers, content packs, etc) you are welcome to give suggestions or to ask questions if something is technically feasible (with the exception of asking about lifestages.)". (Sorry don't know how to quote)...

I know most of us are disenchanted and I don't mean to get the hype train up. I just wanted to point out she said toddlers were future content.
    What do you think?

Yeah that's what I meant. Sometimes, I feel like she's trying to strongly hint at the fact that they are future content. Plus, let's be honest, if they don't add toddlers, that'd be the worst business decision in the history of gaming lol. So maybe she's just tired of carefully phrasing why she cannot talk about them, but wants us to know that there's a very high chance that they will come, but that she isn't in the mood to lose her job over the fact she told us that. Who knows, who knows. Imagine ... maybe there'll be toddlers by Christmas (whoamIkidding..), it'd be great!

After all, what's city life without a whining toddler next door at 4 a.m.?
  • Options
    my optimistic part is already on the hype train while my pessimistic part try to take the other away.
    I'm literally fighting myself :D
    Edit: in September it will be the anniversary of the sims 4, if there is not any announcement or even clue my pessimistic part will take the control

I doubt that, even if they add them, they'll announce them in September though, given that it still falls under the current quarter. Meaning, if they announce toddlers in September, we'll have to pay for them. So I'd rather they announce them come October lol :D
  • Options
    Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    Phew, I finally caught back up :weary: I wanted to thank all the people who recommended Stardew Valley on this thread. I finally gave it go and I've just had so much fun with it. As a bonus it has toddlers ;) I doubt that I will be sinking the sheer number of hours into it that I have into the various Sims games, but I just love it and I'm sad that I've played through most of the content now :(

After all this time I can conclude that if The Sims 4 hadn't been published under the banner of "The Sims" I wouldn't feel so disappointed. On the otherhand, I doubt that I would have bought it without that banner. Well played, EA, well played.
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
  • Options
    On the otherhand, I doubt that I would have bought it without that banner. Well played, EA, well played.

Lol. Well said. :D
  • Options
    simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    I have SV on hold for now, I'm waiting for the big update.

It's truly a joy to see ConsernedApe's honesty, and the fans/customers really appreciate it - blink blink at EA
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member

It's truly a joy to see ConsernedApe's honesty, and the fans/customers really appreciate it - blink blink at EA

Ikr, his latest blog post is so raw and honest. I think I might become his biggest fan. :love: Indie developers are awesome.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    NinoosimNinoosim Posts: 387 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »

Ikr, his latest blog post is so raw and honest. I think I might become his biggest fan. :love: Indie developers are awesome.

Same, I don't even care how long he takes to deliver the update, I'm not posting threads everyday to ask. Because he's honest, he tells things how they are and this is really all that matters to me. Just knowing he's working on it and taking the time to make it awesome like everything he did so far is more than enough to keep my patience going.
  • Options
    What's that Stardew Valley thing you guys are speaking of? Do I need to get out my wallet? :D
  • Options
    CherbitDipCherbitDip Posts: 116 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    What's that Stardew Valley thing you guys are speaking of? Do I need to get out my wallet? :D

My thoughts exactly! I just popped on to Steam and found it, think that will be my new addiction :D

• Options
    Ohh @CherbitDip that actually looks fun. Visually it reminds me of one of my fav PSP games (Alundra), although it's clearly a very different kind of game. Reviews look good... Why did you all tell me this? :'( I'll think about it. But so far, you guys are all loving it?
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top