The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    Did you peeps see the new 'ask a guru' thread in gd? I couldn't resist popping in with a few questions but you can bet your bottom dollar that they won't get answered. They always ignore me.

I refrained from asking about toddlers altogether...

Just saw it, started reading, but had to quit before I threw up. It seems more like a fawning "let's be BFFs" thread, but then I'm old and cynical. I'm waiting for "what's your favorite color" and "what's your college major" questions. :|

ETA: I decided to put on my big girl pants and read it all. Plus I posed a question about toddlers. Not asking if they'll come or not, but what was the real reason as to why they weren't included in the base game, since we were told conflicting reasons.

I feel like they'll add that in for a "History of Development for Toddlers in the Base Game" if they decide to something like that.

But anyway, I hope that doesn't fall into the jurisdiction of "future content," because there's always been confusion about why they did it exactly. If I were to guess, I'd say time, plus the dreaded "telemetry," although I feel like that would be more of an executive decision, or at least one influenced by higher-ups who deemed them as "not profitable enough" (trust me, if you add them in, you'll be drowning in profits for the rest of the life-span- provided you continue to fix the problems) than one the whole team would actually agree on.

But most of the questions I've seen have been more about how they choose what goes into packs, deciding how to implement it, making sure there would be enough ideas for the pack to work, how to decide what does and doesn't get cut. So it's not just "personal life stuff." I feel like @SimGuruDrake would honestly be disappointed if it was just stuff like that, because I remember her saying in the Drake feedback thread that she wouldn't appreciate a forum that was "sunshine and rainbows" as she put it.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Did you peeps see the new 'ask a guru' thread in gd? I couldn't resist popping in with a few questions but you can bet your bottom dollar that they won't get answered. They always ignore me.

I refrained from asking about toddlers altogether...

Just saw it, started reading, but had to quit before I threw up. It seems more like a fawning "let's be BFFs" thread, but then I'm old and cynical. I'm waiting for "what's your favorite color" and "what's your college major" questions. :|

ETA: I decided to put on my big girl pants and read it all. Plus I posed a question about toddlers. Not asking if they'll come or not, but what was the real reason as to why they weren't included in the base game, since we were told conflicting reasons.

I feel like they'll add that in for a "History of Development for Toddlers in the Base Game" if they decide to something like that.

But anyway, I hope that doesn't fall into the jurisdiction of "future content," because there's always been confusion about why they did it exactly. If I were to guess, I'd say time, plus the dreaded "telemetry," although I feel like that would be more of an executive decision, or at least one influenced by higher-ups who deemed them as "not profitable enough" (trust me, if you add them in, you'll be drowning in profits for the rest of the life-span- provided you continue to fix the problems) than one the whole team would actually agree on.

But most of the questions I've seen have been more about how they choose what goes into packs, deciding how to implement it, making sure there would be enough ideas for the pack to work, how to decide what does and doesn't get cut. So it's not just "personal life stuff." I feel like @SimGuruDrake would honestly be disappointed if it was just stuff like that, because I remember her saying in the Drake feedback thread that she wouldn't appreciate a forum that was "sunshine and rainbows" as she put it.

@HIFreeBirdIH I don't understand the bolded part. Seriously confused. The only thing left for us to post is sunshine and rainbows if we don't want to be ignored or worse. I posted 3 sunshine and rainbow questions on the new thread because what else can I do? If I ask about future content, it will be ignored. If I ask for changes to game play mechanics that don't please me, I'll be ignored...
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    @NZsimm3r It was in a reply to a person who couldn't believe she could call the forums toxic. And they wouldn't ignore questions about changing game mechanics. They already explained why they can't talk about future content, because of the law, so they actually have a legitimate reason for not answering questions about future content.

Forums are 5% of my job (if that) but they aren't the main focus of my job. The devs do not have to engage with any player, they are hired to work on the game itself not to spend time on twitter or in the forums to chat --those that are SimGurus do so because they volunteered and choose to spend moments of their day engaging but it isn't part of their job description.

I am 100% allowed to call this place toxic, does it mean everyone who participates here is? No. But there is a reason a lot of game companies shut down their forums and it is because at one point or another they do reach a level where they have to be "rebooted" because it's more worthwhile to start over than to try and clean everything up. I don't want to be surrounded by people who are always sunshine and rainbows, I want to provide a space where anyone can provide feedback without fear that they will be attacked for not having the same opinion (and no, the "this is the internet grow a thicker skin" is not a valid nor will it ever be a valid argument for the way some people treat others.)

As for your reply I have been working on that in one of the other tabs so it is coming.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    @HIFreeBirdIH that explains my confusion a little. I know about the laws etc I actually read that gigantic document that drake and graham linked to explaining the regulations around revenue recognition. I don't have any problems about why they can't talk to questions regarding future content. But that doesn't detract from my statement that I can't post questions on that topic and expect an answer.

I guess time will tell. It does feel as though sunshine and rainbows/positive comments are pretty much all that will be addressed but I'm more than happy to be proven wrong. :)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    edited August 2016
    @elanorbreton *Zoink* I love your idea of doing those scrapbooks!!! They look amazing, and I love those pictures you shared. Are you still working on them? :smiley:

@missmani09 What wonderful pictures of TS2! That game, to me, will always be the best life simulation game ever. They got so much right. And your family is lovely. :smiley: I seriously hope they use this "vision" for the Sims 5!

@junceda I love your pictures! In TS3 I never played with the themed content because I was quite boring and always played modern day families. But I have always admired how creative Simmers like yourself are in utilizing that content and find so much enjoyment in looking at your screenshots. :smiley:

@sparkfairy1 How are you? I really hope you're going to continue to comment. It wouldn't be the same without you. :cry:
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    This is for you guys:
    grouphugg.gif
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Holy guacamole! My question in that thread was deleted! I was not asking about future content; I asked why toddlers were left out of the base game since we've been given several different reasons. My post was calm and rational. No yelling. No toxicity.

I can't even.... I just....This goes beyond being ignored. So much for "We hear you." :o
  • Options
    @Stdlr9 OMG really????
  • Options
    Holy guacamole! My question in that thread was deleted! I was not asking about future content; I asked why toddlers were left out of the base game since we've been given several different reasons. My post was calm and rational. No yelling. No toxicity.

I can't even.... I just....This goes beyond being ignored. So much for "We hear you." :o

Yeah, when I read your question I pretty much thought that would happen. :/

• Options
    edited August 2016
    asouthernwriter's comment was also edited by SGD to remove the comment "is it possible to add more life stages to TS4" but she kept "is it possible to add new life states" and "is it possible to add cars." I don't understand how life stages are different to cars and supernaturals, aren't they all future content?
  • Options
    Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member
    So now that they have managed to whittle down the forum to a ghost of its former self the gloves have finally come off and the true face of Maxis is being shown. I guess my only surprise is that it didn't happen sooner...
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    Looks like culling won't be getting answered either, at least not in that thread. Elanorbreton's comment was crossed out :/
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    NZsimm3r wrote: »

You did? May I ask why? I tried to keep my tone quiet and my questions logical. I would appreciate any insight. Maybe it's not what I said, it's just that I'm.... me. Sad face (just kidding!).
  • Options
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    Looks like culling won't be getting answered either, at least not in that thread. Elanorbreton's comment was crossed out :/

But SGD has written that she is already getting an answer re. culling and will answer that separately. :smile:
  • Options

You did? May I ask why? I tried to keep my tone quiet and my questions logical. I would appreciate any insight. Maybe it's not what I said, it's just that I'm.... me. Sad face (just kidding!).

Mainly because it seems like the only questions that will be accepted are the "sunshine and rainbow" kind of questions (see my posts just above). In my way of thinking it will only be positive appreciation type questions or perhaps the odd "could you adjust..x?" type of question. Like I posted above, I am way more than happy to be proven wrong but that is what I think.

• Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    Polyrhythm wrote: »

But SGD has written that she is already getting an answer re. culling and will answer that separately. :smile:

Yup I saw that as well, and thanks Simanite for letting Me know bout the dates being announcements, much appreciated.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    "Can Pre-Teens come in The Sims 4 in an upcoming patch??" was left. *scratched head*

Edit: I imagine this was probably just a mistake.
  • Options
    lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    so basically, even saying yes or no to "toddler are coming" without any other information is talking about future content ? wow, i wouldn't like to work for EA/insert other company who are under this law. So much info that you have to keep secret. i'll end up mad i think ^^'
    But i don't understand why they removed post about toddler and not cars, they are future content as well.
    I feel like family players have a bad reputation ...
  • Options
    It must be 'cause I smell like a horse.

Seriously, have you ever smelled a sweaty horse??? ;) Thanks for answering me @NZsimm3r!
  • Options
    It must be 'cause I smell like a horse.

Seriously, have you ever smelled a sweaty horse??? ;) Thanks for answering me @NZsimm3r!

lol, I can't say I have! That's ok. :) I suspect the future content questions left in like cars etc might be answered from a technically feasible approach which is why they have been left in.

I guess toddlers are a total no-go... *shrug* :/

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Who knows, maybe this is a good sign as in "we can't talk about toddlers because they are future content, but since cars and preteens aren't ...". A girl can dream.

But really, we can't ask about culling?

Smh.
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Who knows, maybe this is a good sign as in "we can't talk about toddlers because they are future content, but since cars and preteens aren't ...". A girl can dream.

Smh.

That's because it is being looked into and will be answered somewhere else. :)

• Options
    edited August 2016
    SGD has added another comment to clarify - we can't ask about future content but we can ask if something is technically feasible EXCEPT for lifestages. :cry:

Maybe I'm being dramatic but adding this to the toddler thread being moved back to Ideas is making me feel like we're going to get some bad news soon...
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    I have given up on asking what will be coming, Since I know I will never get the answer until it actually comes out, so if the stuff that I want does not come out in the long run, then I know for sure not to bother with the next game set in the series, its common sense to Me, that if they won't add what I want to a game, then why bother buying them? , that is My way of thinking anyhow, I will wait til the end of Sims 4, to decide if I will even bother with a Sims 5.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Smh.

That's because it is being looked into and will be answered somewhere else. :)

Yeah I know I've seen that, but not everyone necessarily has so she could just leave it in there and repeat that answer for everyone. I just don't see much of a reason for scrapping it.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top