The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• Options
    lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    I have SV on hold for now, I'm waiting for the big update.

It's truly a joy to see ConsernedApe's honesty, and the fans/customers really appreciate it - blink blink at EA

Ikr, his latest blog post is so raw and honest. I think I might become his biggest fan. :love: Indie developers are awesome.

Totally agreed !
    Last week, the dev of the game i follow (4 years of development, we are patient) say he was sorry because this week he had no news. He try to give us news every week ! Funny things, most of the comments says that he "don't have to show something every week" and that he can take all the time he need.
    The law is awful.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    What's that Stardew Valley thing you guys are speaking of? Do I need to get out my wallet? :D

Yep! *nods enthusiastically*

Carl's got a guide to Stardew Valley too. Didn't find it until I'd already figured a lot out but it's worth a look anyhoo.
    http://www.carlsguides.com/stardewvalley/
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    TY @NZsimm3r ! It definitely looks cool (it even has toddlers AND pets hahah ;))
    Thx for the suggestion!
  • Options
    NinoosimNinoosim Posts: 387 Member
    edited August 2016
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    What's that Stardew Valley thing you guys are speaking of? Do I need to get out my wallet? :D

So far over 150 hours played for less than 15 bucks (got it a week after release) so I'd say it's worth it :D And after your first playthrough you can always mod it. The community is also so kind it's refreshing!
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    I'm still surprised by what good value stardew valley is, I've got plenty of hours up. Looking forward to the new update as well.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    IMO, referring to the questions that were or were not accepted on the ASK thread, life stages are about The Sims themselves. Life States are probably being interpreted as other life forms like the aliens or vampires etc. I think I saw a question about 'are they sick of the toddler question' somewhere (not sure if it was that thread). I'd say yes! And I don't think that means they're coming, but who knows.

@mizuru007 much love to you! I do understand how you feel. If you thought what they did to your thread many moons ago was bad, I think they're going to be doubling down on that strategy going forward. They must be getting worried that disgruntled fans are going to ruin their little game. I hate to inform them of this, but they already ruined it themselves as far as I'm concerned. :D Hope you stay happy and healthy and if this place is bringing you down then staying away is the right thing to do!

Speaking of that I don't blame you for hanging out in the TS2 forum instead, @elanorbreton. Hope you are having fun with that game! I loved it when I played it but so far haven't been able to give up the things we got in TS3 to go back to it. Maybe one of these days I'll give it another try.

@MzPigglyPooh I'm so sorry about your laptop. I don't blame you for not wanting to sink that kind of money into it. I recently bought an Asus GL55 (I think that was the model but I will have to check) and I love it. Haven't played TS4 on it because I just have no interest in that game, but I can tell you it plays TS3 great and I'm sure it would play 4 as well. I'm less thrilled with Windows 10 but that's another topic.

Happy Simming or farming (I bought that game but haven't tried it yet!) or whatever you're doing for fun, everyone. :)

The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    ThrippaThrippa Posts: 678 Member
    Wow. I leave for a week to play No Man's Sky (found a new major time-sink!) and the thread goes to pieces. Farewell to the ones who have left this ship for others; you will be missed. I do wonder if they thought we'd all just quietly give up if they put us off long enough, vs. being loud and angry and storming off if they gave us a truthful 'no, never', and now that we've failed to give up they are trying to get rid of us since they can't do what they said they could (whether they actually thought they could when they said it or not). I still lurk to greater or lesser degree, but between NMS and getting the dogs ready for the Labor Day show I haven't had much time to get over here.

And @sparkfairy1 you did a great thing in creating and maintaining this thread this long; you are to be commended for your tact and patience in dealing with the issues as well as your insistence on welcoming all types of family players.
  • Options
    asouthernwriterasouthernwriter Posts: 1,041 Member
    IMO, referring to the questions that were or were not accepted on the ASK thread, life stages are about The Sims themselves. Life States are probably being interpreted as other life forms like the aliens or vampires etc. I think I saw a question about 'are they sick of the toddler question' somewhere (not sure if it was that thread). I'd say yes! And I don't think that means they're coming, but who knows.

@mizuru007 much love to you! I do understand how you feel. If you thought what they did to your thread many moons ago was bad, I think they're going to be doubling down on that strategy going forward. They must be getting worried that disgruntled fans are going to ruin their little game. I hate to inform them of this, but they already ruined it themselves as far as I'm concerned. :D Hope you stay happy and healthy and if this place is bringing you down then staying away is the right thing to do!

Speaking of that I don't blame you for hanging out in the TS2 forum instead, @elanorbreton. Hope you are having fun with that game! I loved it when I played it but so far haven't been able to give up the things we got in TS3 to go back to it. Maybe one of these days I'll give it another try.

@MzPigglyPooh I'm so sorry about your laptop. I don't blame you for not wanting to sink that kind of money into it. I recently bought an Asus GL55 (I think that was the model but I will have to check) and I love it. Haven't played TS4 on it because I just have no interest in that game, but I can tell you it plays TS3 great and I'm sure it would play 4 as well. I'm less thrilled with Windows 10 but that's another topic.

Happy Simming or farming (I bought that game but haven't tried it yet!) or whatever you're doing for fun, everyone. :)

I was just honestly wondering if it was possible with the way TS4 is built if they could actually add in additional life states (not just toddlers), spaces, and other game play like cars and more additions to the sims themselves.
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    I was just honestly wondering if it was possible with the way TS4 is built if they could actually add in additional life states (not just toddlers), spaces, and other game play like cars and more additions to the sims themselves.

Good morning, all. I'm really confused about what will and won't get answered in that thread. Some threads are deleted and some aren't. She says not to go off-topic (it's a development thread) but then people are asking her about her favorite foods. If that isn't off-topic then what is?

Since they won't answer anything about future content, delete threads they "could not" (would not) answer, and so forth, I don't really have any hopes that this will address anyone's big questions -- life states, life stages, cars, any additions, why they did things the way they did.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited August 2016

2s7be6p.jpg
    Found a place that would fix it for 60 dang you Geek Squad *shakes fist in the air* so its there now and I get to play my sims 3 and 2 again real soon yay! (still want to get a new laptop but it can wait)
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options

See and the one I want is an Asus but it's 1200 dollars! I'm going to put money aside for it though. I heard Asus are great laptops for gaming. Maybe ill get the one that 300 bucks less but I want the best of the best lol
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    Stdlr9 wrote: »

Good morning, all. I'm really confused about what will and won't get answered in that thread. Some threads are deleted and some aren't. She says not to go off-topic (it's a development thread) but then people are asking her about her favorite foods. If that isn't off-topic then what is?

Since they won't answer anything about future content, delete threads they "could not" (would not) answer, and so forth, I don't really have any hopes that this will address anyone's big questions -- life states, life stages, cars, any additions, why they did things the way they did.

Thats what I dont get but I agree with another poster that said its gotten depressing. This whole law thing kinda whamps if you ask me and its really cutting into communication with the customer. But oh well... Im to the point where I dont care which way it goes. Im not spending anymore money until there is more depth to the game. I will no longer continue to fund a company like EA.
  • Options
    Thats what I dont get but I agree with another poster that said its gotten depressing. This whole law thing kinda whamps if you ask me and its really cutting into communication with the customer. But oh well... Im to the point where I dont care which way it goes. Im not spending anymore money until there is more depth to the game. I will no longer continue to fund a company like EA.

I play lots of computer games and the only place I'm hearing about this "law" is in regard to The Sims. Other games and other companies are bursting with news and teasers and updates and hype. Weird. Whatever, EA's loss; I'm spending my mad money elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I play lots of computer games and the only place I'm hearing about this "law" is in regard to The Sims. Other games and other companies are bursting with news and teasers and updates and hype. Weird. Whatever, EA's loss; I'm spending my mad money elsewhere.

Really?! Well thats a HUGE eye opener. And it makes you wonder if they are usung the law as an excuse to drag things out. Because if you think about it in the past The franchise was quite open with ideas and future content. Now all of a sudden this law is thrown around like rice at a wedding. Its seem quite suspcious to me. But you're right there loss because i am one less person buying more of their 🐸🐸🐸🐸

Edited: because I wanted to say 🐸🐸🐸🐸 but it got changed to plum lol
  • Options

Really?! Well thats a HUGE eye opener. And it makes you wonder if they are usung the law as an excuse to drag things out. Because if you think about it in the past The franchise was quite open with ideas and future content. Now all of a sudden this law is thrown around like rice at a wedding. Its seem quite suspcious to me. But you're right there loss because i am one less person buying more of there plum.

Edited: because I wanted to say plum. but it got changed to plum lol

It's my impressions only. I can't follow every single game out there of course, but I have yet to see this "law" mentioned by any other game or company. I'm sure others have more insightful feedback -- anyone else heard of a game or game company using this "law" as a reason not to announce things? I honestly want to know.
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member

Really?! Well thats a HUGE eye opener. And it makes you wonder if they are usung the law as an excuse to drag things out. Because if you think about it in the past The franchise was quite open with ideas and future content. Now all of a sudden this law is thrown around like rice at a wedding. Its seem quite suspcious to me. But you're right there loss because i am one less person buying more of there plum.

It's my impressions only. I can't follow every single game out there of course, but I have yet to see this "law" mentioned by any other game or company. I'm sure others have more insightful feedback -- anyone else heard of a game or game company using this "law" as a reason not to announce things? I honestly want to know.

Well are the teasers and huge heaps of information they give out about patches to the game? Or is it about new games, expansion packs, and other DLC? Because that's completely different from free content patched to the game itself.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    edited August 2016
    Yeah, I play a lot of games and none of them are as secretive with their content and such as EA is with TS4.

Apparently the law only applies to DLC, but even at that other companies gladly show loads of screenshots, trailers, give interviews and insight on how it was made and what they plan on including with it during the whole pre-release period. Not just a tiny teaser and then only talking about it in detail like a week before it releases.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    There may indeed be a law (as a customer I could care less; just show me some meaningful gameplay!), but I also believe they've got something of a gag order on all the producers and devs due to things they have said in the past, or the way things they been interpreted. So this law is quite convenient for them. :D

• Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member

Respectfully, it's I that have asked the 'off-topic' questions. I asked because I figured they were going to be asked quite a few questions that will either not get answered due to their laws and contracts and some that will end up with some sort of non answers. I'm genuinely curious about their gaming outside of The Sims, and the more frivolous gives them something to answer that's a little more light hearted. At worst, I was going to get them either ignored or told that they don't answer frivolous questions.

General rule of thumb, IMO, for getting answers is not to ask about toddlers or if they're going to put in more family play, nothing that is directly related to future content. You could ask if something was possible and perhaps get an answer. If it would be technically feasible to change something.

Don't ask too much about why they put in such and such but not such and such, or go back to their interviews. If you've got something to ask about their development process that you've been burning to ask then now's a good time or related to Drake's job that isn't why did you say this or close my thread.

As for off topic, don't sit there discussing the price of eggs with somebody (for example) or how good or bad they are or aren't at their job and you're pretty much golden.

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    To be fair this is supposed to be a new law that doesn't completely take effect until 2018. I'm guessing at that time all companies will have to comply. For their own reasons EA has chosen to start observing it now.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options

I havent this is really my first time hearing it...
  • Options
    Arletta wrote: »

Respectfully, it's I that have asked the 'off-topic' questions. I asked because I figured they were going to be asked quite a few questions that will either not get answered due to their laws and contracts and some that will end up with some sort of non answers. I'm genuinely curious about their gaming outside of The Sims, and the more frivolous gives them something to answer that's a little more light hearted. At worst, I was going to get them either ignored or told that they don't answer frivolous questions.

General rule of thumb, IMO, for getting answers is not to ask about toddlers or if they're going to put in more family play, nothing that is directly related to future content. You could ask if something was possible and perhaps get an answer. If it would be technically feasible to change something.

Don't ask too much about why they put in such and such but not such and such, or go back to their interviews. If you've got something to ask about their development process that you've been burning to ask then now's a good time or related to Drake's job that isn't why did you say this or close my thread.

As for off topic, don't sit there discussing the price of eggs with somebody (for example) or how good or bad they are or aren't at their job and you're pretty much golden.

Thank you for your respectful answer. I just feel that the "rules" are being applied very, very selectively. Poster A asks something off-topic? It's OK. Poster B, known for being... shall we say... a detractor asks something and it gets deleted. It's a thread supposedly about development -- I want to know why they developed the game a certain way. They seem to wig out if you quote them from old interviews -- are they pretending those interviews never happened? Because they did happen and they led players to expect certain features.

Maybe I should ask what her favorite color of glitter is. That seems to be the level of communication we can expect.
  • Options

Thank you for your respectful answer. I just feel that the "rules" are being applied very, very selectively. Poster A asks something off-topic? It's OK. Poster B, known for being... shall we say... a detractor asks something and it gets deleted. It's a thread supposedly about development -- I want to know why they developed the game a certain way. They seem to wig out if you quote them from old interviews -- are they pretending those interviews never happened? Because they did happen and they led players to expect certain features.

Maybe I should ask what her favorite color of glitter is. That seems to be the level of communication we can expect.

Hahah that last part made me laugh really hard
  • Options

Thats a great break down. Even though that can be frustrating its nice to see it broken down. Because its seems censoring in a way and in the end its makes me, personally, not want to ask a darn thing. I dont like being limited with my questions. Because there are thingd I am curious about and Im a pretty straightforward person and I guess I expect that from companies too but because of this law they cannot say anything about anything. And so Its best I back out not give a plum and dont ask for family play and life stages like previous games.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Of course it's censored. Besides the fact that this is a private forum run by a corporation (as opposed to a public institution), they're going to do their best to make this place a la-la happy land, even if that means deleting threads and banning people. :s

@MzPigglyPooh I bought the Asus notebook with a 15" screen which was under $1,000, but then I added a $170 500GB SSD so that pushed the price up. But I feel it's worth it for TS3; the SSD shortens the time it takes for TS3 to load the game and saves.

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top