Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Coming back to the sims 3

Comments

• Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,930 Member
    @JaidLynn I use the soil rugs that came with Into The Future Expansion pack. I place them on the floor and plant into them. They are recolourable - which is fortunate because they are a horrible bright green by default. I like to have a garden in the bottom basement as that leaves more room on my lot for other things and also protects my plants from frost and snow. They grow and are harvestable all year around in the basement. I do need to leave some empty space in the basement the next level up though as the trees are a bit too tall and poke through the floor.

In this garden my sim is using the green dragon to harvest and tend her garden. There is a tractor track there too. I do occasionally use the tractor in the basement.

Sally009.jpgimage upload no size limit

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    @Karritz Does that mean if I'd like to garden inside I'd need Into The Future? :'( I always have at least one gardener family but with Seasons installed, I need to either have no winter season at all or make it really short if I don't want them to have nothing to do.. I'm guessing there's no other way you know of to grow a garden inside? :/
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Sharee, try taking out all the ports in IP, it may help with the routing issues. I have played it and my sims still lived on houseboats but I found removing the ports made it run better. There are some specific routing issues with specific ports and families I think. Sorry, I don't know which ones they are, been a while since I played it.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    Blue's vampire mods allow vampire sims that aren't controlled to autonomously drink from other sims. They also make "Ask to Turn" and "Offer to turn" interactions autonomous so that non controlled vampires and / or other sims can turn or ask to be turned without player intervention.
    They also allow teen vampires to use the "Read Mind" and "Think about Me" interactions because EA disabled these by default. Vampires will also hunt on their own, and gain fun and social from doing it, but they wont actually go mad and attack or drink from sims while doing it.

She has a couple of versions, one of them without the autonomous turn, in case some people didn't want that.
    Thanks, I'll check it out because I'd love for vampires to be more dangerous than they are now. I don't want the entire town to turn into vampires again though.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    @Karritz Does that mean if I'd like to garden inside I'd need Into The Future? :'( I always have at least one gardener family but with Seasons installed, I need to either have no winter season at all or make it really short if I don't want them to have nothing to do.. I'm guessing there's no other way you know of to grow a garden inside? :/

You can plant indoors if you have Seasons or Supernatural as there are planter pots you can use. It is just easier to place the mats than lots of planter pots.

The other options is to use MoveObjects on cheat to tell your sim to plant into the floor. You can turn it off once you've finished telling your sims where to plant. You shouldn't play with that cheat on as unexpected things can happen in your game.
  • Options
    JaidLynnJaidLynn Posts: 12 New Member
    23 Aug 2016

Thanks Karritz for the very helpful & useful information about indoor gardening. Another benefit to indoor gardening would be that zombies cannot get to your garden. Normally I have to put fences up to keep them away, but my friend said that didn’t help her games, so not sure if she had the gates locked or not. I will have to play around with having more than one level basement too. I am not a great builder though. I like the idea of saving on lot space. I really wish I could buy 2 lots next to each other & be able to connect them in world editor. I have had my sims own lots in the town on the same street & have the cows & chickens and such on those lots before. You have given me some great thoughts to expound & expand on.

Thanks to all who are freely offering their knowledge here & welcome back to all those that have strayed off only to find their way home as well.
  • Options
    JaidLynnJaidLynn Posts: 12 New Member
    Sharee wrote: »
    I wish i could play island paradise.. its the only EP i have problems with.
    I get no problems with the game otherwise.
    But yes WELCOME BACK

23 Aug 2016

Are there still compatibility issues with Island Paradise? I can play it currently **knocks on head—err, wood** but the original game I started there with, tells me there are things missing from it. Not sure if it is simply corrupted or what. I haven’t changed any sims content. Also, on that note, I played another game that had things randomly missing from the house—rock & stone patterns—with no warnings about missing content. Bizarre.

Also, are there still issues with World Adventures? I had to uninstall that altogether from my computer because it flat out would not play the base game at ALL with that installed. At the time, I only had base game, Pets, Dragon Valley & World Adventures. When I uninstalled WA, no issues anymore & I have been very reluctant to put WA back on the computer again.

Sorry if this has hi jacked the original poster’s thread. Any input is appreciated though.
  • Options
    CherbitDipCherbitDip Posts: 116 Member
    Goldbear86 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

So as my title says I'm going back to the Sims 3, Ironically it was playing the sims 1 last night that has prompted me to give the game another chance. I have all EPs and stuff packs but there's lot of it I haven't played with/used yet. My game normally runs ok, is there any essential mods I need to prevent lag? I don't use CC.

I'm feeling quite excited. If I'm honest I'm a little bored with the sims 4. I will go back to it eventually but I'm wanting to give TS3 another shot as it's the only sims game that I don't give a lot of attention to.

Welcome back to Sims 3! Like others have already said, the NRAAS mods are excellent. Took me a long time to pull my big girl pants on and read up on them and get them installed, wish I had done it sooner! Let us know how your game goes, sounds like you'll have lots to do and play with :)
  • Options
    ZenoraZenora Posts: 63 Member
    Welcome back to simming ^.^

I still got sims 3 myself, got rid of that Nraas stuff because it was erroring all over the shop. The only lag I still get is in Isla Paradisa and I cannot figure out why =(
  • Options
    juleseast3003juleseast3003 Posts: 318 Member
    I've got ITF installed and totally forgot about the rugs My sims have a huge basement as well. Can you still use the sprinklers inside. Zombies do my head in. Is there a way to stop them spawning. I've tried altering the mood phase
    Thanking you in advance
    Julie :)
  • Options
    ZenoraZenora Posts: 63 Member
    Build a fence all around your house and keep the gate closed, they cannot spawn in enclosed area's so your sims should be safe
  • Options
    Zenora wrote: »

I still got sims 3 myself, got rid of that Nraas stuff because it was erroring all over the shop. The only lag I still get is in Isla Paradisa and I cannot figure out why =(

There is a lot on the routing issues and other issues in Isla Paradiso. It used to be in the Island Paradise forum but it is now in the Expansion Packs forum. Try the Island Paradise Bug thread as there should be info in there but don't bother with filling out the questionnaire as Crinict closed that down a few weeks after the EP was released.

EllaCharmed has a fixed version of the world where she took it into CAW and fixed what she could of routing issues there.

https://ellacharmed.wordpress.com/2013/10/05/isla-paradiso/
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,436 Member
    I've got ITF installed and totally forgot about the rugs My sims have a huge basement as well. Can you still use the sprinklers inside. Zombies do my head in. Is there a way to stop them spawning. I've tried altering the mood phase

@juleseast3003 I understand there's a mod (or mods) to get rid of Zombies, but I don't have one and can't give you any details. I've just set the moon phase to one static thing (I picked waning gibbous) and haven't seen a single zombie. I may look into modding it, though, because I'd really LIKE to have the moon phases - just not the zombies that go with.

Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    juleseast3003juleseast3003 Posts: 318 Member
    I'll have a try. It's like the walking dead. I hate the walking dead
    Thanking you in advance
    Julie :)
  • Options
    inmyeyeinmyeye Posts: 396 Member

One of the most simple fixes for lag in IP is to move every sim that lives on a houseboat to a land based home and then delete the houseboats and those ports. There seems to have been some fairly bad routing issues with the houseboats. The houseboat idea was a good one however very poorly executed.
    “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).”
    ― Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    inmyeye wrote: »

One of the most simple fixes for lag in IP is to move every sim that lives on a houseboat to a land based home and then delete the houseboats and those ports. There seems to have been some fairly bad routing issues with the houseboats. The houseboat idea was a good one however very poorly executed.
    Yes, I've been following all adjustments a modder had made (may well have been EllaCharmed), opened the game and there still is some stuttering no other worlds have for me. And that's right away, at the beginning of a game. My sim is in college now - nothing wrong there - but when she gets back I'll have to dive into it a bit further. Like maybe delete the houseboats all together. Pity though...
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    inmyeyeinmyeye Posts: 396 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Yes, I've been following all adjustments a modder had made (may well have been EllaCharmed), opened the game and there still is some stuttering no other worlds have for me. And that's right away, at the beginning of a game. My sim is in college now - nothing wrong there - but when she gets back I'll have to dive into it a bit further. Like maybe delete the houseboats all together. Pity though...

Yeah. It is a shame. Like I said the houseboat idea was a good one. Could have been alot of fun. I know the one time I put a sim on a houseboat I had nothing but trouble. Wound up taking him off. It seems to make a big difference if you get rid of all the houseboats. I still occasionally get an un-routable sim though.
    “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).”
    ― Mark Twain
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Strangely enough, I've not had problems with IP. I don't get the "stuttering" others complain of, have no instances of sims being reset on shore or problems with mermaids/men. I didn't play it long however, just long enough to get my sim skilled up to 10 in scuba diving and IP seemed to be the best place to do it. I did edit some of the dive lots and placed lots of those cave things in them and the underwater chests so he could collect things but I only played in it for a couple sim weeks. He did have a houseboat but I found it rather clunky to move around in.
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Yeah. It is a shame. Like I said the houseboat idea was a good one. Could have been alot of fun. I know the one time I put a sim on a houseboat I had nothing but trouble. Wound up taking him off. It seems to make a big difference if you get rid of all the houseboats. I still occasionally get an un-routable sim though.
    I hope Overwatch and Errortrap will help me with that one :)
    @nickibitsward A friendly simmer pm'ed me a while ago (@llandros2012) with this solution concerning the caves:
    Make sure that you have seen the monster's tentacles waving outside before you explore it. If you have not seen them, you will be reset. If you DO see them, then you can explore safely with no resets. Usually, you just have to wait until the monster is active. You just have to see the monster's arms once while you are under. If you come back a different time, do the same thing - wait!

You can always turn on cheats, delete the cave and then undo, go back to live mode and wait until the monster becomes active. It seems to jump start it sometimes.
    I really hope that will actually work (and maybe your sim accidently used the caves at such moments).

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Welcome back to TS3! I agree with using Overwatch. It cleans up unwanted vehicles (even though you can't see them), turns off TVs and stereos, stops pet adoptions from popping up in households (but does not stop you from picking pet adoptions, if that makes sense), and lots of other things that cause lag.

I use a lot of other mods from Nraas but they are more of a want than a need. I highly recommend using a "No Memories" mod too. Memories in TS3 are IMO useless and game-clogging.

To speak to Isla Paradiso specifically, I recommend deleting all spiral staircases and replacing them with either regular staircases or ladders. If I don't my Sims get stuck constantly.

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    They added an in-game setting to turn off memories so you no longer need a mod.

I've also played IP with few issues, but I can't say I've played a really long term game there. For those having problems, if you use custom worlds there are a few out there that have added houseboats and dive spots you could try (there is a rec thread stickied near the top of the forum and some of them mention good custom worlds).
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    CherbitDipCherbitDip Posts: 116 Member
    They added an in-game setting to turn off memories so you no longer need a mod.

I've also played IP with few issues, but I can't say I've played a really long term game there. For those having problems, if you use custom worlds there are a few out there that have added houseboats and dive spots you could try (there is a rec thread stickied near the top of the forum and some of them mention good custom worlds).

Think I might have a look at them @HappySimmer3 thank you! I love IP but my last playthrough, the stuttering was awful :(
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    One of my favorites is Legacy Island III by Rflong7. If you want to try it you might want to grab it quickly because I'm not sure whether she will be keeping her account on the Exchange.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    baturhulyabaturhulya Posts: 198 Member
    edited August 2016
    @Goldbear86 I wouldn't play my game without some nraas mods,such as Overwatch,ErrorTrap,MasterController,No CD,Debug Enabler,Traveler.Those i need for a bug free game play,there are many other mods to play the game to your liking,so it's up to you,if you put them in your game or not, so is custom content(Store or third party). This game runs better with minimal custom content.Knowing that ,don't overload your game.I organize my mods thematic,for example: Medieval,futuristic,tropical,build stuff,and so is my custom content. If i plan to play a futuristic world,i put only the futuristic folder in my game and when done with my game, i take it out.That way i tweak my game to my liking and have maximum 3-4 min. load time.Never play long sessions,in particular when you build and when you are in CAS. Always save as,quit and reload.Those are my tips for a smooth play.And lastly don't forget to clean the 5 cache files in your documents-sims3 folder when you start a new game.As for IP lag,
    @ciane has made a save file,in which she/he corrected the issues,you could follow the tutorial and make a save file yourself,or you could grab the save file which is already there. Welcome to Sims3 ,wish you a happy simming.
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    As of yesterday I've made my return to The Sims 3 cause well The Sims 4 leaves me uninspired, constantly replaying the same story lines, and always have the game tell me what to do like on dates and parties. Yeah that wears off fast but in The Sims 3 I can create endless possibilities from Sims to story lines and now have an evil genie Sim living in Bridgeport wanting to become a 5-star celebrity as an attempt to make friends that will never betray him after his cell mates escaped from prison leaving "Kiwi Lime" (my Sim) behind. Poor Kiwi!