The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Coming back to the sims 3

Comments

• Options
    EpochismEpochism Posts: 411 Member
    Karritz wrote: »
    I recently went on a download binge and got lots of fantasy cc.

I'll try to find some links and post here.

I also find that skins can dramatically change the appearance of your Sims. I'm loving Sims 3 and after playing it since release I'm still doing totally new things all the time. I found one way to find new things about Sims 3 is to read the requirements to get badges. Even if you don't manage to get the badge trying to work towards them will show you things you never knew about the game.

If you google 'Sims 3 Fantasy' you'll find lots of links to explore.

These links will help you find a few interesting things too.
    http://stuffiwantinmygame.tumblr.com/post/137450160280/moonskin93-kurasoberina-primer-hd-skin-for

https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/moonskin93

Here's a few pictures of Sims I've made recently. They have cc skins and some have cc hair and makeup too.
    Annabel016.jpg

Gene061.jpg

Sims017.jpg

Sims007.jpg

Sims005.jpg

Felicity002.jpg

Duncan026.jpg

Connie001.jpg

My fairies are posted among a fairy village made from luna's fantasy trees and rocks and other things. It's hard to find her things and I'm still going through what I've downloaded to see what I really need and what I can live without.

House002.jpg

Nate002.jpg

This female sim is a EA generated NPC that I captured and gave a new hair style to and added her to my game.
    Felix_And_LR009.jpg

Luna's dining set
    Visitor.jpg

One of my 'old' sims (probably base game) that I gave new hair to and probably a new skin.
    Fay005.jpg

This 'fairy village' is in a previously empty part of Barnacle Bay.
    Fairy_Conversations003.jpg

A fawn I downloaded from a few places. I originally found it on MoonSkin93 site but the horns and legs are on other sites. All the info is on the MoonSkin93 pages.
    Fawn003.jpg
    I think the horns were by Psycho

The red mushroom is a chair and there is a table to go with it. They are recolourable.
    Paula023.jpgimage hosting 10mb limit

I have dozens more. But this is the last one as there are way too many pictures here already. This sim is watching TV. I like her as she seems so natural to me. She is wearing skin and makeup and cc hair. None of which I can identify but it gives you some idea of the variety that can be achieved. I have lots of non default skins that I use for my Sims. A fair bit of makeup and a few hairs.

Paula003.jpg

Your fantasy sims are cool! They're all so unique. It's great. :)
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,934 Member
    Epochism wrote: »
    I recently went on a download binge and got lots of fantasy cc.

I'll try to find some links and post here.

I also find that skins can dramatically change the appearance of your Sims. I'm loving Sims 3 and after playing it since release I'm still doing totally new things all the time. I found one way to find new things about Sims 3 is to read the requirements to get badges. Even if you don't manage to get the badge trying to work towards them will show you things you never knew about the game.

If you google 'Sims 3 Fantasy' you'll find lots of links to explore.

These links will help you find a few interesting things too.
    http://stuffiwantinmygame.tumblr.com/post/137450160280/moonskin93-kurasoberina-primer-hd-skin-for

https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/moonskin93

Here's a few pictures of Sims I've made recently. They have cc skins and some have cc hair and makeup too.
    Annabel016.jpg

Gene061.jpg

Sims017.jpg

Sims007.jpg

Sims005.jpg

Felicity002.jpg

Duncan026.jpg

Connie001.jpg

My fairies are posted among a fairy village made from luna's fantasy trees and rocks and other things. It's hard to find her things and I'm still going through what I've downloaded to see what I really need and what I can live without.

House002.jpg

Nate002.jpg

This female sim is a EA generated NPC that I captured and gave a new hair style to and added her to my game.
    Felix_And_LR009.jpg

Luna's dining set
    Visitor.jpg

One of my 'old' sims (probably base game) that I gave new hair to and probably a new skin.
    Fay005.jpg

This 'fairy village' is in a previously empty part of Barnacle Bay.
    Fairy_Conversations003.jpg

A fawn I downloaded from a few places. I originally found it on MoonSkin93 site but the horns and legs are on other sites. All the info is on the MoonSkin93 pages.
    Fawn003.jpg
    I think the horns were by Psycho

The red mushroom is a chair and there is a table to go with it. They are recolourable.
    Paula023.jpgimage hosting 10mb limit

I have dozens more. But this is the last one as there are way too many pictures here already. This sim is watching TV. I like her as she seems so natural to me. She is wearing skin and makeup and cc hair. None of which I can identify but it gives you some idea of the variety that can be achieved. I have lots of non default skins that I use for my Sims. A fair bit of makeup and a few hairs.

Paula003.jpg

Your fantasy sims are cool! They're all so unique. It's great. :)

Thank you. I have about a dozen or so more that I didn't show and they are also all very different from each other. I love the challenge of trying to make them look different. And with different traits they behave so differently too. I enjoy having large households with Sims with different personalities and see how they get along. My current household has 4 flirty witches and the dynamics in that game are very interesting.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    @LunaNova I don't get the sense of sculpting the way I want because that too has limitations. Even more so than sliders and I was quite bored, unimpressed and still is with TS4 CAS mechanics in the demo. Because sim creation is one of my favorite features and a critcial feature I deem important as I'll be playing these sims during gameplay, I need to be able to create in a way that has minimal restraints. Sure you can now have body types but at what expense? I say juvenile because of the presentation, the shallowness in which everything is done. (I don't always fully process my thoughts since sometimes there are too many at once but my critique is definitely not liking the overall design and tone. Especially when TS has always been more complex and in-depth which showed in the design and tone as well.) Did they really take inspiration from Super Mario 64? At the very least for a teen rated game about the simulation of life, would this have been too much if they were going to go that route? Or rather that's the point...too complicated. But no the real issue is changing a personal single player experience into an online social game like TSO. The only great thing about TSO...it was a spin-off.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo9L8d-5x20

TS4 is not innovative and so far behind what's currently achievable and many settle for the high price like it's actually worth it. But you know, I'm pretty sure it is to them, as they don't appreciate anything complex. They don't like too much freedom nor creativity and prefer a simple game that they feel the need to be told what to do because otherwise, the game would be boring with no direction. But isn't that why The Sims was so successful in the first place? Because players had the freedom, A REAL SANDBOX, to do whatever they wanted with no direction of how they should play.

Also, I've built my first gaming desktop for under 1K and it plays TS/TS2/TS3 well. And other older games although I'm not much of a PC gamer. It's not just about the GPU or CPU. TS3 is probably more specific/picky than any other game when it comes to computer figuration and not just anything will do regardless of the price or being high-end. There's more to it than that. I may not know everything there is about computers but I do know how to research and do my homework well if I want the best result.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2016
    HOW DARE YOU DESECRATE THE HALLOWED GROUND OF THIS FORUM BOARD WITH YOUR WORDS (even if you didn't start out here). NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU DO WITH YOUR GAMES, TAKE IT BACK WHERE YOU ALL CAME FROM...HEY, WHY IS IT GETTING DARK IN HERE?

OH NO, NOT THE BARS WITH THE LOCKED GATE AGAIN...

Whoops sorry guys, the Evil Igazor got out of his cage again. All is secure now. >:)

Bit late to see this thread actually, but would like to offer some tech advice for the OP and those returning to TS3 if I may.

- Vsync was mentioned, but so were very warm/hot graphics cards. It's very important to check on actual fps rates being achieved in-game because sometimes a card's control panel might tell us vsync is activated but it then doesn't do it's job and more tools are needed. From the cheats console, fps on (enter). As you play and move the game camera around, the fps rate displayed there should never wander far above your monitor's refresh rate, which is usually 60 Hz (some are higher, but those are pretty rare). To make the displayed rate go away, cheats console again and fps off (enter). An unlimited frame rate can cause screen tears, graphics glitches, outright crashes, and ultimately damage your card and system board. Also note that Vsync only works in full-screen mode, not windowed mode.

- On the TS3 Tech Issues board, we can help you get those newer cards recognized properly by the game. It's not always necessary to do so, but for some cards, some players get better performance from having done this. Some see no difference. Your DeviceConfig.log file inside your game folder will tell you if your graphics card is being recognized and if you are getting the standard 32 MB Texture Memory Override condition, which can also be fixed.

- The OP mentions downloading the game or parts of it fresh from Origin. That means they are on Patch 1.69, which was released late last year. There are no choices given with new Origin installs of the base game or any EP/SPs, the new patch is a requirement. Then the SuperPatch was mentioned, which is for 1.67. You cannot downpatch a 1.69 install to 1.67 using the SuperPatch without breaking the game install and/or the Launcher. EA locked this down back in January of this year or so.

- Crash Log Analyzer was mentioned. CLA does not work on Patch 1.69.

Anyway, the point is that running a game originally designed in 2009 on something closer to today's hardware is a bit tricky, but it can be done and assistance is available here, on MTS, and at NRaas for those who need it. Won't necessarily be a perfect gaming experience, there will always be little things that maybe don't look or behave exactly as they should, but it's still worth it to many of us who prefer this version of Sims or who want to have it around as an alternative and keep pushing it along even after all these years. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    JaidLynn wrote: »
    2) I am surprised that no one mentioned the easiest fix of all to stop zombies—in OPTIONS, there is a box to check next to things you want to be able to spawn in the game; witches, vampires, zombies, celebrities, opt current household out of the celebrity madness, snow, rain, etc., I **think** it is the same page as the moon phases. I personally do not stop any of these things from spawning as there are some pretty unpredictable & funny things that can happen.

There is no game option to disallow zombies. Full moon zombification is a temporary condition, much like a disease. Suppressing that entirely while keeping full moons in play requires a mod. Some of the options were listed out here a short while back.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15126295/#Comment_15126295
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    There's another thread running about CAS at the moment as fate would have it and I posted these pictures there as well to illustrate, I think that the Sims 3 CAS is really very good, you can create great looking sims (to my taste anyway) and they don't all look the same. I never use CC and they turn out fine. That's not to say I don't like Sims 4 CAS, it is easier I think and in the end can produce sims well but more of a caricature appearance than the reality of 3. I think too you can see in the picture of the three of them together the difference in emotional expression of each compared to the other which is also partially achieved through the CAS system. Especially the middle sim- I've tried to recreate him numerous times in 4 and just can't- I can't find a way to achieve the slightly worried look (?) a feeling of having a past that was not perfect. I don't know it strikes me as a little dark and I have never been able to get it right in 4- not even close in any way, structure or feel.

Screenshot-132_zpsvxtmw2p8.jpg

Screenshot-136_zpsrevyqkyh.jpg

Screenshot-134_zps4hq2ore0.jpg

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    coco wrote: »
    Oh dear not another one of these. I wonder how many people who complain about the unbearable glitchiness and ugliness of ts3 are playing on a potato laptop :unamused:

A potato laptop? Don't you mean a 'fried laptop' if you get the joke ;)

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    I agree with Igazor. I had to get a bit messy in the files to get my graphics card recognized, but it eventually worked and like he mentioned it was because it was a newer one that was not recognized by the game. Also I had to do a bit more tweaking in the graphic rules file in order to fix some pixelated shadows. (I am a novice at all this tweaking stuff, but followed online tutorials)

Honestly I'm a little shocked at the amount of crashing people seem to have. Everyone I'm sure knows that my game is loaded to the HILT with CC, I have all EP's on at all time (still on 1.67) and play through Steam.

Rarely does my game crash. As in... once maybe in the last 3-4 months. A few times it has refused to open and that is due to improper CC and was totally my fault. I deleted the CC and it opened.

Stuttering saves are an exception and are deleted swiftly. I find, and this may all be in my head, that a stuttering save will somehow affect any other saves I open during that session. So I erase the save and shut down and restart. (Make sure to save OFTEN in Save AS)

Learning how to use sliders is KEY to getting unique sims. Its totally possible without CC. I just happen to like a lot lOT LOT LOT of CC, and that's just me. You definitely don't need it, but for me I like to use a detailed default skin, and default eyes (for a larger catchlight). That also means though that I am not really a fan of TS4 looks because they are too smooth and cartoony. I've definitely tried TS4, but it always fails to meet my expectations and I disagree about sliders being less accurate and variable than push-pull I find the opposite (and my slider multiple is set at the default 1). I could never get my sims in TS4 to look how I wanted.

Under the cut for a million faces. (not literally of course, just some of the images I have on hand to share)

Top three are related (one on the right uses no CC sliders), middle three are made from the same sim, bottom three are un-related. I still think they all have their own looks.
    29315706115_95278c3084_b.jpg

Middle row are all related in some way. The rest are un-related and made from puddings by me (most have minimal-no CC facial sliders)
    29237347251_81c60eeced_b.jpg
    Post edited by GaiaHypothesis on
    Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Yeah, I know everyone has their own taste, but every time I read someone raving about the TS4 graphics, including the sims, I think they must be looking at a different game than I am. But then I never really wanted my sims and their world to look like a Pixar Disney cartoon movie. Those are pretty to look at during a movie, but I don't want to look at that every day in my game. It's too stylized and specific and can ruin the story I want to play out.

(And actually, those movies give their characters much better hair - the hair in TS4 is more like the My Sims game.)

I'm rather puzzled at all the crashing reports, too. The last time I had a crash I played for about three sim days on long custom aging settings and slowed Relativity time (so it was a much longer period if I were on regular game settings). So that was not exactly unexpected. :D
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,934 Member
    Yeah, I know everyone has their own taste, but every time I read someone raving about the TS4 graphics, including the sims, I think they must be looking at a different game than I am. But then I never really wanted my sims and their world to look like a Pixar Disney cartoon movie. Those are pretty to look at during a movie, but I don't want to look at that every day in my game. It's too stylized and specific and can ruin the story I want to play out.

(And actually, those movies give their characters much better hair - the hair in TS4 is more like the My Sims game.)

I'm rather puzzled at all the crashing reports, too. The last time I had a crash I played for about three sim days on long custom aging settings and slowed Relativity time (so it was a much longer period if I were on regular game settings). So that was not exactly unexpected. :D

It's not hard to make it crash if your computer is being pushed to handle the game and you don't save often and have graphics up high and add lots of CC and other stuff and keep going into CAS and building without saving etc....

I could manage a crash several times a day if I did that sort of thing with my game. As it is I almost never get to crash and rarely get an Error 12. The only times I get one of those issues is if I do something I know is highly likely to crash or produce Error 12 and do it anyway just in case it doesn't - this time.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've not actually had the game crash or error 12 in a long time though I'm running with so many Mods and so much CC that I can hardly find any EA content in my buy mode.I played in Oak Leaf recently and might be playing there again today because I want to get a new chapter out for the blog story.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member

It's not hard to make it crash if your computer is being pushed to handle the game and you don't save often and have graphics up high and add lots of CC and other stuff and keep going into CAS and building without saving etc....

I could manage a crash several times a day if I did that sort of thing with my game. As it is I almost never get to crash and rarely get an Error 12. The only times I get one of those issues is if I do something I know is highly likely to crash or produce Error 12 and do it anyway just in case it doesn't - this time.

Oh believe me, I know that it was totally my fault that it happened! Thankfully I'm not that forgetful most of the time. :)
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    Seriously!!! @Epochism another freaking person saying "ALL" sims in 3 are pudding.Am getting really sick of this, I have pics of every townie ever made by EA and could posts hundreds back to back not any would look the same and also getting sick of like @Coco mentioned "Who is spot on" Sims 3 must be bad because the cardboard box I am running it on does not play it correctly and cannot handle good graphics settings. :rage:

Sims 3 Townies are all different,sims 3 Homeless Sims are all different,Sims 3 NPCs are all different.These were handmade just like a person creates a sim using facial sliders etc.You need to learn what pudding sims are.I did a whole post on them Taxi drivers are pudding sims they should be they are irrelevant.Tourists in your towns with WA installed are pudding AT FIRST once you travel they are replaced by Named human made sims from the 3 travel destination worlds.You have not traveled yet of course no tourists visit you have not went anywhere yet the game has to make somebody to fill the role.Pudding sims are role fillers only!!!!

So is this EA made sim??

Screenshot-659_zpsdpuxyi7f.jpg

And this EA sim

Screenshot-4245_zpsdflbgiwj.jpg

And this EA sim

Screenshot-745_zpslco0qe49.jpg

And this EA sim

Screenshot-1540_zpsobxhqdep.jpg

And this EA sim

Screenshot-4199_zps35lax2hi.jpg

And this EA sim

Screenshot-4170_zpsexewavcr.jpg

All the exact same,you honestly are saying you cannot tell them apart and they look awful compared to Sims in the 4th installment.And I do not cover mine in CC so squash that now.That was Homeless,Townies,and NPC mixed in there.
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,094 Member
    I enjoyed reading your review of both games.Well written.
  • Options
    fxchrfxchrfxchrfxchr Posts: 329 Member
    edited August 2016
    Seriously!!! @Epochism another freaking person saying "ALL" sims in 3 are pudding.Am getting really sick of this...

I agree. I suspect if a person is playing with graphics detail turned down (particularly the Sim detail) then they might all look the same. When I first played TS3 I had a potato that made the poor Sims look like they were from TS1! Thank you for sharing such excellent examples.

I created a couple of register Sims in CAS by using the randomize button until these two very distinctive Sims came up. These are completely random and have not been tweaked at all (except for clothing & hair :) ). No CC used.

2jeb6sn.jpg

2gtuj2v.jpg
    Firby nurbs!
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    @LunaNova one of the things that helped me some was by-passing the launcher, from NRASS, I could sometimes play doing that. Also funny but I could play it better when I uninstalled Origin. I was told to do that by EA chat.

You don't need Nraas, or any other mod, to bypass the launcher, unless you have patched TS3 to 1.69. Find your game .exe file, put a shortcut to it on your desktop if you want, and launch the game from that. I find the Launcher a waste of time and computer resources.

For those who have problems with lag, stuttering, etc. in TS3, it's usually your computer, not the game. I have no problems, even on a 5-year-old system. I buy gaming rigs. So I can see why TS4 appeals to some who play on the 2016 equivalent of a potato with wires.
  • Options
    EpochismEpochism Posts: 411 Member
    @CravenLestat, ok I guess I used the wrong wording. Not all sims are pudding, but they all look dead inside. XD

They don't have expression, they always stand the same way (leaning on thier one leg) and just don't look--alive....
    Sorry I upset you, I didn't mean to :)
  • Options
    fxchrfxchrfxchrfxchr Posts: 329 Member
    @CravenLestat, ok I guess I used the wrong wording. Not all sims are pudding, but they all look dead inside. XD

They don't have expression, they always stand the same way (leaning on thier one leg) and just don't look--alive....

In my examples above, the first Sim is actively listening (head tilted to one side, nodding etc.) and the second Sim is waiting for a customer but looks expectant. At least, that's what I see. To me, TS4 Sims are *too* expressive to the point of distraction :)
    Firby nurbs!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2016

Would you believe I have exactly that with Sims 4 sims? Not kidding here. They look like puppets on a string to me. And they in fact also always stand the same way, sort of bending over as if they want to try to touch the floor with their fingertips but fail. And still they smile while they're doing it. Creepy.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,727 Member
    edited August 2016

I wonder if you have any pictures or examples of what you consider to look not "dead inside". If you want to see expressions again there's that popular thread I linked before. I'm really confused on what makes you think they look "dead". Is it CC? Craven doesn't use any. Obviously those pictures are taken for modelling purposes too.
    This doesn't look "alive" to me either??
    930.0x524.0.jpg
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    You know what's "painful"? These comparison threads. If you are trying to encourage interest in The Sims 4 with these, you may wish to reconsider your approach. These just make people angry.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    @Coco When you mentioned people complaining about sims 3 being bad cause their computer is a potato.That is something that really gets to me also.I cannot have anything higher than the lowest settings or my potato will explode so Sims 3 graphics are horrible :D I can only run 2 expansions cause my generic computer cost 100 bucks but try to run seven expansions,sims is so laggy. :D These people have no clue how ridiculous these things are not just to a player on these forums but to any logical person period.

I cannot afford a mansion so with the above logic they are not that great and terrible to live in.Who needs private chefs a personal massuese your own private movie theatre and infinity pool.Living in a garden shed is where it's at. :|

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,727 Member
    @CravenLestat But your pictures look great all the time! Even my computer is not that great. I use a GeForce GT 630 which according to a chart I saw on mod the sims, I shouldn't even be able to play all the EPs and SPs, but I do. I meant it more when people have the graphics on the lowest setting and complain that it's not "pretty" when actually it's a limitation of their machine.
    I agree @Sindocat. I'm not one to get angry on a forum but all these threads being moved here where someone hates this, doesn't like that, was disappointed in this etc. really bugs me. Of course everyone is free to share their own opinion but it doesn't change anything.
  • Options
    @Coco "I meant it more when people have the graphics on the lowest setting and complain that it's not "pretty" when actually it's a limitation of their machine."

That is exactly what I am saying could not agree with you more and my post was agreeing with you. <3 How silly do they sound when they say that.

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    edited August 2016
    Ok, I cannot keep silent anymore. I must show my unexpressive and robotic sims to everyone. Granted, I do use cc skin and eyes. But that doesn't change the "physical" expression. My main character right now is the sim in my avitar. I took all cc off of her to show that she is still expressive without it. Be forewarned, incoming picture spam.
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Game face
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Even kitties are expressive
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Avatar with no cc with her dead eyes. ;)
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    These two characters at the festival. What is the guy in the back looking at?
    screenshot_original.jpg
    This!
    screenshot_original.jpg
    I have plenty more where that came from.
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    my robotic sim playing with her chameleon

The sim 4 example above looks dead in the eyes to me. It doesn't even look like a 3D rendition, it looks like a 2D cartoon. :/ In the end these are all just programmed pixels simulating life of some sort. To each their own. But don't tell me that the sims 3 is worse. I just don't see it.