Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    @Kellog_J_Kellogg Love it! Summer Holiday's new look is beautiful. :) I always have trouble with her makeover.

Okay... this triggered an informal poll question of mine. How many of you do makeovers on the townies/NPC's and how many of you just leave them alone? I'll reserve my preferences till after I get some responses, but if you've read my stuff, you probably already know.

I don't systematically go through townies to give them makeovers, but if I see one with horrendous fashion or a broken mod, I will grab them and fix the problem. If I interact with a townie a lot, or if I like them, I will give them a full makeover :)

I'm preparing to write a new story, and for that one, I would like to give all townies/npcs a full makeover. It might be too much for me, so maybe I'll get like, halfway through, and delete the rest... we'll see xD
  • Options
    ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    Okay... this triggered an informal poll question of mine. How many of you do makeovers on the townies/NPC's and how many of you just leave them alone? I'll reserve my preferences till after I get some responses, but if you've read my stuff, you probably already know.

@AdamsEve1231 Depends on which townies. Some I like as they are, though those are a minority. In the vast majority of cases, I give them makeovers, especially if my sims interact with them more often. I do try to just make those makeovers and not plastic surgery... but sometimes I do change them entirely, because the likes of L Faba and Gemma Charm barely look humanoid to me in their default state.

But that's for premades. If you mean the randomly generated NPCs in their festival outifts and way too many accessories... I try to plop down enough gallery sims to not have to see those very often :D

Clearly I'm very vain :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @ Kellog_J_Kellogg Love it! Summer Holiday's new look is beautiful. :) I always have trouble with her makeover.

Ooh that's a spicy one! And I have two different answers for two different games...

TS3: If I'm playing with them directly/using them for storytelling...yeah at least a little. Any given pre-made was made with a limited selection of clothes and hairs (base game + content in whatever pack they came in) and I have enough content that "fits" better than what they were given. Also, some pre-mades clearly were not assigned outfits beyond their Everyday and maybe one other. (if any of you play the game and have Supernatural: load up Moonlight Falls and take a gander at some of the choices made/not made. My other example is Pearl Yang from Sunlit Tides, who doesn't have pre-made formalwear for whatever reason)

TS4: makeovers are quick so yeah, all the time. I was setting up a story file for what is certainly not a No Stars Over Uptown reboot and figured everyone needs an overhaul and even some facial tweaking to blend in better (read: mostly bigger noses) The thing is that there are hardly any TS4 pre-mades I care that deeply about. Though I also give heavy fashion overhauls to premades I love in TS3 so who knows.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    @ Kellog_J_Kellogg Love it! Summer Holiday's new look is beautiful. :) I always have trouble with her makeover.

Ooh that's a spicy one! And I have two different answers for two different games...

TS3: If I'm playing with them directly/using them for storytelling...yeah at least a little. Any given pre-made was made with a limited selection of clothes and hairs (base game + content in whatever pack they came in) and I have enough content that "fits" better than what they were given. Also, some pre-mades clearly were not assigned outfits beyond their Everyday and maybe one other. (if any of you play the game and have Supernatural: load up Moonlight Falls and take a gander at some of the choices made/not made. My other example is Pearl Yang from Sunlit Tides, who doesn't have pre-made formalwear for whatever reason)

TS4: makeovers are quick so yeah, all the time. I was setting up a story file for what is certainly not a No Stars Over Uptown reboot and figured everyone needs an overhaul and even some facial tweaking to blend in better (read: mostly bigger noses) The thing is that there are hardly any TS4 pre-mades I care that deeply about. Though I also give heavy fashion overhauls to premades I love in TS3 so who knows.

What are these teasers, Trip! You cannot taunt me like this!
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Haha I gave Yuki Behr a makeover for the Windenburg save before I read Winter's Alchemy and do I feel bad now? Not really since she's just there to fill crowd shots.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options

Haha I gave Yuki Behr a makeover for the Windenburg save before I read Winter's Alchemy and do I feel bad now? Not really since she's just there to fill crowd shots.

Lol, all good. I give Yuki a makeover whenever I start in a new world and she walks over, so samesies? No point in musing over what happened in a parallel universe...
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    hi my internt was down for a while.
  • Options

Glad to see you back :)
  • Options

Glad to see you back :)

me too. itwas weird i was wacthing tv and suddenly had no tv or internet.
  • Options
    TheYayToastTheYayToast Posts: 1,466 Member
    Kellog_J_Kellogg Love it! Summer Holiday's new look is beautiful. :) I always have trouble with her makeover.

@AdamsEve1231 I don't have any particular connection to the premades in Sims 4, so I have the tendency to either give them makeovers or just delete them depending on my mood. I was playing Berry Sims until recently, so I had went the route of deleting them all and then just giving makeovers to the ones from the new packs as they arose...

However in my current save I'm trying to completely repopulate the world with approximately the same balance of Sims so I'm systematically deleting premade households and replacing them with my own. If you've ever been curious to see the exact spread of how many Young Adults and so forth are in each of the worlds... here's an excel spreadsheet I created to keep track of all the households generated by EA:
    Sims Overview Spreadsheet

The list of my created households is still under construction... I'm making slow progress on actually refilling the world.
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    Kellog_J_Kellogg Love it! Summer Holiday's new look is beautiful. :) I always have trouble with her makeover.

I do townie makeovers all the time. I try to keep as much of their original style as possible and just clean them up a little like getting rid of ridiculous accessories or terrible color combinations.
  • Options
    Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,554 Member
    Thank you, @AdamsEve1231...I'm very pleased with that new look as well. I have two folders I use with Sim 66: One is the sixties era CC and the other is archive pictures of Sixties looks and fashions for men, women and children. Summer's look is based on one such photo of a mod girl in 1966 and I just happened to have a CC dress that matched it.

As for townies and NPCs in my games....I only makeover the NPCs in my games that have either a specific decade look or a sci-fi or fantasy setting. Every NPC in Sim 66 has been retro-outfitted...even down to the make up and hairstyles. In Sim 66 all the randomly generated Townies get the 60s makeover as well. In my regular legacy and rotational games I leave the NPCs alone and the Townies I only alter if the fashion is truly stomach turning.
  • Options
    capturethemagiccapturethemagic Posts: 249 Member
    i've got a stable plot and a good outline for each chapter but like
    how?? do?? i?? write?? it?? *well*??
    c22f90da185c99d211adfff586bffe45.png
  • Options
    i've got a stable plot and a good outline for each chapter but like
    how?? do?? i?? write?? it?? *well*??

Well as they say, done is better than perfect. Just start writing, and your style will come to you. Especially if it's a legacy, which goes on for a while...
  • Options
    capturethemagiccapturethemagic Posts: 249 Member
    just started a legacy feeling right motivated

not an hour in and she's died in a fire
    c22f90da185c99d211adfff586bffe45.png
  • Options
    lizzielilyylizzielilyy Posts: 4,891 Member

that is not cool :#

Hey guys! I hope you're having a wonderful Thursday!

What would everybody say is the one thing they have learned/wished they knew when starting out writing SimLit?
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,759 Member

What would everybody say is the one thing they have learned/wished they knew when starting out writing SimLit?

the "diary curse" of many writers; characters. OR using old tropes from what your read or play with as a child
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

I wish I'd known not to take it so seriously, relax a little, try different stuff. It's a little too late for that now :joy: But I know better for next time!

P.S. Just letting you know that the link in your signature seems to be broken :)
  • Options
    I need to have two arguments between twin sisters. The older one just loves to be outside a lot and the other one is a movie-buff (I have to go look up what movies were in the 1970s), goofy and homebody. But the younger twin always gets blamed for everything
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    @MadameLee: what kind of argument? As for movies, my 'rents were teenagers/college students in the 1970's so I'll bug them about their favorites when they get home. (A film buff would also still be watching classic films too; my dad finally remembers Casablanca, On the Waterfront, and The Wizard of Oz from his history of film class even though he took it in the late 70's)

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    @MadameLee: what kind of argument? As for movies, my 'rents were teenagers/college students in the 1970's so I'll bug them about their favorites when they get home. (A film buff would also still be watching classic films too; my dad finally remembers Casablanca, On the Waterfront, and The Wizard of Oz from his history of film class even though he took it in the late 70's)

I'm not sure what kind of arguments. I just know in the first instance homebody and movie-buff Cora (the younger twin who always gets blamed for everything) starts the argument. Well in the 2nd instant it's Elizabeth who starts the argument. And in both situations, the twin starting the argument had just protected the other twin from bullies.

Wizard of Oz 1939, Casablanca was (1942s) and on the Water Front (1954). All I could remember was the fact the time between the 1970s-1988 was the "Dark Period" of Disney. That and Star War IVs: A New Hope (1977)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    MadameLee wrote: »

I'm not sure what kind of arguments. I just know in the first instance homebody and movie-buff Cora (the younger twin who always gets blamed for everything) starts the argument. Well in the 2nd instant it's Elizabeth who starts the argument. And in both situations, the twin starting the argument had just protected the other twin from bullies.

Wizard of Oz 1939, Casablanca was (1942s) and on the Water Front (1954). All I could remember was the fact the time between the 1970s-1988 was the "Dark Period" of Disney. That and Star War IVs: A New Hope (1977)

If someone just defended their twin from bullies, I can see them turning around and going 'why are you getting bullied? Can't you stand up for yourself? You're embarrassing me'. They don't really mean it, because they care about their twin, but the bullied twin is hurt by this and it spirals off into an argument about petty things such as 'that one time you wore my shoes without asking me'.
  • Options

Well the older films are context for how they were already being regarded as classics in the 1970's, enough for college classes anyways.

Taxi Driver and Animal House are two I know I watched with my dad. Fritz the Cat is one I watched by myself (animated but infamous for being X-rated)

Mum says that Saturday Night Fever and Grease really defined her movie going in the 1970's since that was also the peak of John Travolta. My dad headed straight to the shower so hold that thought. :p

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options

i had that happen in my very first legacy ever. his name was colin forbes ans even sim men can be stubborn. he had no walls but decied he wanted a stove with no cooking skill. this was the very first time i caved. saying that for people who read my old new story. i caved and he died in a fire 10 minutes later.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

If someone just defended their twin from bullies, I can see them turning around and going 'why are you getting bullied? Can't you stand up for yourself? You're embarrassing me'. They don't really mean it, because they care about their twin, but the bullied twin is hurt by this and it spirals off into an argument about petty things such as 'that one time you wore my shoes without asking me'.

I guess in a way bullying drama is the ongoing Swanson-Berjsen feud (think Romeo's and Juliet's families) and the family drama of the Swansons (which is the main focus). But also it's a way to show even twins don't get along (I guess you could say Elizabeth and Cora are the forerunners, of in the very far distance great-granddaughters of Elizabeth). Since Elizabeth's great-granddaughter, Jane will turn on her twin as well. This also would make a bigger reason why Elizabeth who is still alive at the time of her great-granddaughters' birth would have a talk with Jane about being there for Jane's twin just as a warning to her-actually you can at the moment see the future great-granddaughters of Elizabeth 2 pictures as children and 2 as teens in my siggy at the moment.
    6adMCGP.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top