Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts about the upcoming Medieval Castle Kit 🏰

Comments

• Options
    tatselktatselk Posts: 519 Member

I think the bits like the gatehouse door and the roof detailing will really help to make medieval/castellated builds look realistic.

Would be good for building a medieval church in the Old Platz neighbourhood of Windenburg or a stately castle to replace the Villareals' house.
  • Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    I am in love with this kit <3
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    Love it!

Everything looks to be great quality, I love the aged look of the stone walls.... makes it more realistic feeling.

From the two pics, I see:

2 arches (one is medium wall height, one is tall wall height with decorative open gate)
    1 double door (looks to be in 2 wall heights - medium and tall)
    1 single door (medium height)
    4 windows (2 tall height, 1 medium height, 1 short height)
    2 styles of friezes
    1 decorative stone corbel
    1 stone wallpaper
    1 stone floor (I think?)
    1 matching stone foundation
    2 stone fences
    1 stair railing
    1 new set of stairs
    1 column type
    1 spandrel type
    1 decorative stone wall plaque

And with the pond tool and pond effects, we also get to build great looking moats around our castles. :smiley:

Even though this looks to be strictly a build-only kit, I'm holding out hope there will also be a new gothic style ceiling light fixture that comes in all 3 wall heights.... something that has lots of candles and functions off-grid would be awesome.

Either way, this kit is going to be a much-used addition in my game!

My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I'm totally geeking out right now. :p I so love historical build & play. <3 I'm extremely excited for the Medieval Kit. Last time I was this excited was when the Horse pack was released. B) I just so hope that Maxis will build that castle. That way I can just add what I want. I have a hard time building big. My castles & palaces tends to be on the small side & that's with using many of my packs & cheat codes. I'm currently trying to build a Medieval Castle, however it's just layed in the middle. Hopefully, this Kit will help me build better Castles. ;)
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Love it!

Everything looks to be great quality, I love the aged look of the stone walls.... makes it more realistic feeling.

From the two pics, I see:

2 arches (one is medium wall height, one is tall wall height with decorative open gate)
    1 double door (looks to be in 2 wall heights - medium and tall)
    1 single door (medium height)
    4 windows (2 tall height, 1 medium height, 1 short height)
    2 styles of friezes
    1 decorative stone corbel
    1 stone wallpaper
    1 stone floor (I think?)
    1 matching stone foundation
    2 stone fences
    1 stair railing
    1 new set of stairs
    1 column type
    1 spandrel type
    1 decorative stone wall plaque

And with the pond tool and pond effects, we also get to build great looking moats around our castles. :smiley:

Even though this looks to be strictly a build-only kit, I'm holding out hope there will also be a new gothic style ceiling light fixture that comes in all 3 wall heights.... something that has lots of candles and functions off-grid would be awesome.

Either way, this kit is going to be a much-used addition in my game!

Nice list. I believe there is also a gargoyle. The pics also show a wall light that might be new. (we have so many I am not sure.) And of course the battlements. I have the impression this will be a fence, so maybe you included it as fence in your list?
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    The leaked description also mentions arrow slits. I haven’t noticed them in any of the shared images, but arrow slits is something I wanted for a long, long very long, long time.
    There’s two types of castles: folly castles (as depicted ) and fortresses. Most (medieval) fortresses don’t have large, ornate windows, they’d have arrow slits. Large windows would weaken the walls. πŸ€“
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited January 11
    The leaked description also mentions arrow slits. I haven’t noticed them in any of the shared images, but arrow slits is something I wanted for a long, long very long, long time.
    There’s two types of castles: folly castles (as depicted ) and fortresses. Most (medieval) fortresses don’t have large, ornate windows, they’d have arrow slits. Large windows would weaken the walls. πŸ€“

*trebuchets herself right through that big window at the back of throne room* I'm the King now 😎
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member

*trebuchets herself right through that big window at the back of throne room* I'm the King now 😎

This is precisely why.
    Now, the wonderful thing about castles with massive windows is that most chambers will be flooded with vibrant, dancing daylight= the perfect Vampire King/ Queen repellent. 😈
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,609 Member
    I love this I want more build architecture kits like this! While medieval castles are still possible and plenty of genius builder who make these looks with tool mod and debug, have the official pieces will be so much more accessible for all.
  • Options
    edited January 12
    delete*
    Post edited by LeucosiaX on
  • Options

This is precisely why.
    Now, the wonderful thing about castles with massive windows is that most chambers will be flooded with vibrant, dancing daylight= the perfect Vampire King/ Queen repellent. 😈

Ouch it seems I have made mistake
    *goes under the throne room rug and travels towards dungeon with it like snail* I'll be back
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,929 Member
    edited January 12
    Castle kit will be great <3

Of course I cannot build those, but I "order" from others :p
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    edited January 12

This is precisely why.

Ouch it seems I have made mistake
    *goes under the throne room rug and travels towards dungeon with it like snail* I'll be back

It's kind of a big mesh up with anticipation and expectations. I hear Medieval and immediately think of Medieval cathedrals, where are gothic arch allowing for larger windows. This architecture is pretty much definitive of the era. The kit is called Medieval *Castle*. which is royal residence of that time. And then Gothic revival happened later on were technology allowed for even larger windows.

I'm an content with a castle kit, but still desire a gothic cathedral kit, but sims have a strict policy on certain "politics" which means may never come to fruition. I have a lot of cc of gothic architecture style build items but I still crave more and prefer official. Maybe if a medieval or time travel ep or gp happen, it will be included in the build buy without need of explanation or titles πŸ™

53459620454_7437c73139_k.jpg

53459424648_715395c558_h.jpgScreenshot 2024-01-12 at 11.01.26β€―AM by leucosia x, on Flickr

53458337942_f98822c48e_k.jpgScreenshot 2024-01-12 at 10.39.16β€―AM by leucosia x, on Flickr

53458338737_393327d381_k.jpgScreenshot 2024-01-12 at 10.02.56β€―AM by leucosia x, on Flickr

example of medieval gothic architecture

I didn't see the narrow arrow slits @CAPTAIN_NXR7 That is something I have previously searched endless for in custom content and could never find, without glass, and that did not crash my computer. I would really be looking forward to having that in the kit.
  • Options
    edited January 12
    For sculptures I am still hoping we get sculpting skill one day
    and that it would let us create sculptures of our own sims
    that would help with all sculpture needs

but also yes endless building details to want
  • Options
    LuvtehGeeksLuvtehGeeks Posts: 1,663 Member
    Hasn't anyone else noticed the hand rail to the steps is only on the left and right instead of going up the middle where the stairs are 3 wide? I think it brought a tear to my eye to see it so...normal. LoL πŸ˜‚
    graphics-kisses-hugs-822976.gif
  • Options
    Enlarged the pics.

piACQl5.png

6yG5ree.png

Forgot to quote first.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Hasn't anyone else noticed the hand rail to the steps is only on the left and right instead of going up the middle where the stairs are 3 wide? I think it brought a tear to my eye to see it so...normal. LoL πŸ˜‚

You can do that now without this kit or the prepatch coming later this month.

Adjust the width of the stairs. Drag using the arrows. Here's a YT short I found:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/O7aZ_jMxBvc?si=SzYW3LzqUyx-8JFb

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding your comment. :sweat_smile:
    i7-13700K β€’ 16GB β€’ RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Hi @SimplyJen, don't apologise, I should have said I think they fixed handrail's!!! Previously the handrail's applied the left and right side making a handrail go up the center of our staircases when they are more than 1 wide. The stairs in the picture don't have the center rail mucking it up! I am so excited we can FINALLY build a grand staircase! πŸ˜πŸ¦ΉπŸ¦‡πŸ₯°
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Hi @SimplyJen, don't apologise, I should have said I think they fixed handrail's!!! Previously the handrail's applied the left and right side making a handrail go up the center of our staircases when they are more than 1 wide. The stairs in the picture don't have the center rail mucking it up! I am so excited we can FINALLY build a grand staircase! πŸ˜πŸ¦ΉπŸ¦‡πŸ₯°

I'm pretty sure they said they fixed in last patch but they didn't. I built a staircase yesterday and the railing was still going through the walls and seeping through them and there was no way to remove one of the sides. With every patch they seem to mess something else up that used to work just fine.
  • Options
    RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member

I'm pretty sure they said they fixed in last patch but they didn't. I built a staircase yesterday and the railing was still going through the walls and seeping through them and there was no way to remove one of the sides. With every patch they seem to mess something else up that used to work just fine.

I think this was their fix for the railings not showing up when you had a wall at part of the stair. They just added the railings back to both sides whether there is a wall or not. I just noticed this yesterday when I saw railings showing through a wall again. Too bad they couldn't do an actual fix for this.
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    Am I the only one who's never experienced stair railings running up the middle of stairs that are more than one tile wide? I honestly didn't even know this was a glitch. I have lots of stairs in my builds that are two or three tiles wide and none of the railings are going up the middle of them (railings on both sides of each tile width).... so I'm surprised to see that this has been an issue for some people?

My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Am I the only one who's never experienced stair railings running up the middle of stairs that are more than one tile wide? I honestly didn't even know this was a glitch. I have lots of stairs in my builds that are two or three tiles wide and none of the railings are going up the middle of them (railings on both sides of each tile width).... so I'm surprised to see that this has been an issue for some people?

I've never had that either. Only if I'm doing a "split" stair (which I've sometimes done on purpose at like museums) where rather than having a wider stair I put two stairs next to each other. So only when it was deliberate on my part.
  • Options
    @SimplyJen, I should have said Thank-you first, I apologize! 😁 @crocobaura, @RedShoe7, I agree and am totally disgusted. @AncientMuse you definitely lucked out! Thank- you all for clarifying, I haven't played recently between being sick and seeing the words corrupted save. 😀🀒 I do hope they get the game bugs fixed before the for rent pre-order bonus is over and the kits drop. Happy simming! πŸ˜πŸ¦ΉπŸ¦‡
  • Options
    edited January 15
    Medieval castle I have at the moment, looks so sad :lol:
    2dAEoUd.png
    Place of worship I have in Windenburg
    X0YnRBV.png
    oK02idu.png
    Castle style mansion I have in Forgotten Hollow
    ozvC3qf.png
    probably will use this kit to rebuild the first castle
    going back and forth on if I should use it with the 2 other builds or nah
  • Options
    Hi @Simmingal, looking good! I would leave Vlad's place in the Forgotten Hollow brick etc. to stay to to origins except maybe that sweet new gate, he needs that...then use the kit to add the finishing touches to your castle and cathedral. Happy simming! πŸ˜πŸ¦ΉπŸ¦‡