Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any hope left for Pre-teens?

coldplay2233coldplay2233 Posts: 451 Member
I've only recently returned to The Sims 4 after several years absence.

After aging up one of my child sims into a teen, I was reminded about just how big of a jump it is. The teens in this game are still indistinguishable from Young Adults.

With The Sims 4 almost 10 years old and Sims 5 on the horizon, is there any hope left that we'll get a new life state?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    There is always hope! We got infants!😁😁😁
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    To me the children in TS4 already look and act approx age 10-12, basically preteens except that they can't cook independently.

I feel like the lifestage that's missing is the "little kid" stage, like age 6-8.

But I think I am in the minority ;)
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    There still could be a possibility for Tweens. Who knows? :o
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,040 Member
    I get that people want this life stage, but personally I would rather that teens be more like teens. They did address some issues in the HSY with crushes, stupid challenges and their own aspirations, and they do have their mood swings, but left to their own devices a teen will cook, clean up, do their homework... all autonomously. They're more like a parent's dream of a teen than any real teen. I want slamming doors and arguments and hanging out with friends on the floor while blasting music and throwing clothes on the floor even if the hamper is 'right there' and refusing to make the bed or clean up after a meal. That would make them stand out.

What I do miss is a middle aged life stage. They added some of this with midlife crises (love them) but I still get adults having babies a few days before they age up to elders. A life stage with thinning hairlines, drop in fertility and wrinkles would be nice. Or maybe just a gradual drop in fertility (and desire to have kids) in adults so there is some changes in an adult sim's life.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    I don't want anymore life stages. If they could just make teens a little shorter I'd be thrilled. IRL I'm the same height I was at 13-14, because I grew fast, but in the game I need that distinction. I know it won't happen, but that would be good enough for me.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    IObelleIObelle Posts: 136 Member
    Teens in sims 4 are a bit older, I think of them being 15-19 while in previous games they were more like 13-15. I'm fine with this and don't really want an update that makes them younger, much because it would mess up custom content clothes and hair.
    There Are No Plantsims In The Sims 4
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    I think we will be getting younger teens or middle school age. I still feel the gap between child and older teens is too much, we definitely need a life stage between child and the teens we now have in game.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    I don't think so. They've already added one life stage to this edition, they'll probably wait till Sims 5 to add another.

I think the better route is to add more young-teen-esque activities and clothing.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    edited July 2023

After aging up one of my child sims into a teen, I was reminded about just how big of a jump it is. The teens in this game are still indistinguishable from Young Adults.

With The Sims 4 almost 10 years old and Sims 5 on the horizon, is there any hope left that we'll get a new life state?

I believe so I mean they did bring in a modder who now works for The Sims and she started the preteen mod and her ideas were great hopefully they will listen to her and to us simmers who had tons and tons of threads in this forum with great ideas about having a Preteen Lifestage in the game it's new and I personally believe it would be a lot of fun. So if not this game then hopefully in Sims 5.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    No more life stages. There is nothing unique about preteens that can't be added to kids and teens.
  • Options
    No more life stages. There is nothing unique about preteens that can't be added to kids and teens.

Respectfully you don't know that for sure because the franchise has never had them in game.
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    edited July 2023
    Briana2425 wrote: »

I believe so I mean they did bring in a modder who now works for The Sims and she started the preteen mod and her ideas were great hopefully they will listen to her and to us simmers who had tons and tons of threads in this forum with great ideas about having a Preteen Lifestage in the game it's new and I personally believe it would be a lot of fun. So if not this game then hopefully in Sims 5.

@Briana2425 This is what I think too, because they hired her. I think because of this and infants being added, that we very much so might get preteens/middle school age teens. It's the waiting and not knowing when that is hard. It would be very exciting if they do add them and I personally think they will. o:)
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    ArcaArca Posts: 183 Member
    The team employed the preteen modder last year, but I don’t know her position in the team
    Let’s hope and wait
  • Options
    Arca wrote: »
    The team employed the preteen modder last year, but I don’t know her position in the team
    Let’s hope and wait

@Arca she is an assistant producer for EA.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,235 Member
    edited July 2023
    Life By You and Paralives don't have Preteen same as the previous games and spin-offs.

So nothing let me think that will happen in the future.

I can't imagine the studio spending 3 years to develop a new life stage which have no gameplay and a poor CAS collection.
    And make Preteen compatible with interactions from 14 EP and 12 GP.

A lot of work for what gain in term of fun ?

There are plenty of things which would be more fun to add to the game (Car, circus, hotel, band, fairies, zombies, ...).
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Life By You and Paralives don't have Preteen same as the previous games and spin-offs.

So nothing let me think that will happen in the future.

I can't imagine the studio spending 3 years to develop a new life stage which have no gameplay and a poor CAS collection.
    And make Preteen compatible with interactions from 14 EP and 12 GP.

A lot of work for what gain in term of fun ?

There are plenty of things which would be more fun to add to the game (Car, circus, hotel, band, fairies, zombies, ...).

@LeGardePourpre Paralives, and Life By You are being developed as we speak so I wouldn't just rule that out quite yet there's still a lot of time for both games especially since life by you extended their early access.

I'd say never say never and expect the unexpected I personally didn't expect to see infants coming to the game but yet here they are.

Also Preteens are in the Sims Freeplay they can look to that for gameplay inspiration and there's tons of ideas in this forum of threads talking about Preteens it's well into the thousands they can come up with something also they can go ask Middle Schoolers Preteen age on the idea.

Yes that all can be added into the game but preteens can't???
    Post edited by Briana2425 on
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Also Preteens are in the Sims Freeplay they can't look to that for gameplay inspiration and there's tons of ideas in this forum of threads talking about Preteens it's well into the thousands they can come up with something also they can go ask Middle Schoolers Preteen age on the idea.

The Sims FreePlay replaced Child by Preteen, so the sims grow from Toddler to Preteen to Teen.
    "A tons of idea" but nothing new, Crush and Middle School are renamed existing features.

Infant life stage is a different case because it brought a new gameplay that Toddler never gave.

Personally I would appreciate Preteen in the game to get 3 siblings growing together.
    Child, Preteen and Teen as a similar experience as Infant, Toddler and Child.
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Also Preteens are in the Sims Freeplay they can't look to that for gameplay inspiration and there's tons of ideas in this forum of threads talking about Preteens it's well into the thousands they can come up with something also they can go ask Middle Schoolers Preteen age on the idea.

The Sims FreePlay replaced Child by Preteen, so the sims grow from Toddler to Preteen to Teen.
    "A tons of idea" but nothing new, Crush and Middle School are renamed existing features.

Infant life stage is a different case because it brought a new gameplay that Toddler never gave.

Personally I would appreciate Preteen in the game to get 3 siblings growing together.

Hopefully preteens will get added no matter what as I do not like the fact that teens in this game are so identical to adults in many ways it is so uncanny valley at this point. Also, while I want preteens, we also need older Adult lifestage to fix the "my child is a Teen and I'm a Young Adult" problem in this game. How is it even possible Cassandra Goth is already a Teen while her mother Bella is still a YA, only one life stage above her? It feels very unrealistic and stupid lol.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    ULIBABA66 wrote: »
    Also, while I want preteens, we also need older Adult lifestage to fix the "my child is a Teen and I'm a Young Adult" problem in this game. How is it even possible Cassandra Goth is already a Teen while her mother Bella is still a YA, only one life stage above her? It feels very unrealistic and stupid lol.

Technically it's possible to be a 35 years old parent of a 15 years old teen.
    But I agree it's weird that Bella is at the beginning of the YA life stage.

As I said in another thread, 15 years old teens almost reach their adult height and look like young adults.

"Harrison Cerami, 15, banned from class for refusing to shave off his beard"

articl10.jpg
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    Imo I think highschool years failed to really differentiate a teen from a YA what I would have liked is teens having classroom gameplay, also going home and doing like interactive home like reading a book, gaining a skill, doing the class project they bring home.
  • Options
    RapidRabidRabbitRapidRabidRabbit Posts: 134 Member
    I don’t mind not having preteens, but I wish teens looked younger and shorter than adults. It’s just a little weird to see your child sims age up and immediately look like they could already be paying taxes.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Children feel so young with what little game play we have for them they play with doll houses have imaginary play then in an instant they become adult sized teens in high school. To me it feels like they go from 7 to 16+ but sadly at this point I doubt they will ever come in Sims 4 hopefully we see them in Sims 5 or Life by You.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    ULIBABA66 wrote: »

Hopefully preteens will get added no matter what as I do not like the fact that teens in this game are so identical to adults in many ways it is so uncanny valley at this point. Also, while I want preteens, we also need older Adult lifestage to fix the "my child is a Teen and I'm a Young Adult" problem in this game. How is it even possible Cassandra Goth is already a Teen while her mother Bella is still a YA, only one life stage above her? It feels very unrealistic and stupid lol.

Bella has clearly made use of a potion to restore youth.

I think the problem is almost all, maybe even all, Sims start at the beginning of their life stage when you begin the game. I don't think we can take that as an indication of their exact age.