Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

8 months ago, a Promise of Project Rene Transparency. When?

Comments

• Options
    RoaringHeightsRoaringHeights Posts: 34 Member
    New Behind The Sims announced for this summer, expect more news about Rene/The Sims 5 at the event.
    Simmer since 2012, The Sims 2, 3 & 4. Setup: i5 10400f, GTX 1650 SUPER, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD & Steam Deck
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,401 Member
    New Behind The Sims announced for this summer, expect more news about Rene/The Sims 5 at the event.

I saw that. Good!
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Looks like the Rene bit is a repost of the October Behind the Sims Summit.
    Post edited by simmerorigin on
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    If there's one thing it's safe to say, it's that Project Rene is not in the early stages of development.

There is very concrete evidence that the initial work for the game (I'm not talking about development), started in late 2018, when EA started looking for an executive producer for the development of a new sims title.

https://simscommunity.info/2018/09/10/maxis-has-started-working-on-a-new-the-sims-title/

At the end of 2019, a new job vacancy appeared, and in it they were looking for someone to work on an "experience of tomorrow", in addition to other information that suggested a completely new game. Let's not forget that in 2019/2020/2021/2022 there were many other job openings to work on the game that were discovered.

Still in 2019, after The Sims 4 Island Living was announced, Grant Rodiek, one of the main producers of The Sims 4, leaves the game's team. He went so far as to say that he would continue working at Maxis, but he didn't say what. He was completely missing for 4 years, until he recently appeared earlier this year in the first episode of Behind The Sims.

What has Grant been doing all those years missing? - Working on The Sims 5.

The truth is that Project Rene is in advanced stages of development. The game is already formed, its technology as well, and there are already many fully playable demos.

Of course, there's still a lot to be done in the game, but it's not in its early stages.

When the game's producers say that there are still "years" of development ahead, this is very relative. It could be a year, two years.

We will see more about Project Rene soon, a new episode of Behind The Sims has been announced for the coming months.

I don't think Maxis is going to show as much of Project Rene as Paradox with Life by You, or Paralives. There will be things we'll discover and see about the game's development, but a lot will remain under wraps for a long time. The look of the Sims, what they will look like, will be one of the last things shown, probably when the game announcement is very close, or only in the game announcement.

The reason Life by You and Paralives are being shown in abundance is simple: they are new games, they need to sell their ideas, convince people to try them out, and show that they are receptive.

Another important thing to mention is that Life by You will likely be released by the end of next year. EA isn't going to sit around and watch a next-gen game come along and grab all the spotlight while staying in The Sims 4.

It is very likely that 2024 will be the last year of The Sims 4, completing an exhausting 10 year cycle. Next year should probably be the year The Sims 5 is officially announced, to be released in 2025, when the franchise will be 25 years old.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    If there's one thing it's safe to say, it's that Project Rene is not in the early stages of development.

There is very concrete evidence that the initial work for the game (I'm not talking about development), started in late 2018, when EA started looking for an executive producer for the development of a new sims title.

https://simscommunity.info/2018/09/10/maxis-has-started-working-on-a-new-the-sims-title/

At the end of 2019, a new job vacancy appeared, and in it they were looking for someone to work on an "experience of tomorrow", in addition to other information that suggested a completely new game. Let's not forget that in 2019/2020/2021/2022 there were many other job openings to work on the game that were discovered.

Still in 2019, after The Sims 4 Island Living was announced, Grant Rodiek, one of the main producers of The Sims 4, leaves the game's team. He went so far as to say that he would continue working at Maxis, but he didn't say what. He was completely missing for 4 years, until he recently appeared earlier this year in the first episode of Behind The Sims.

What has Grant been doing all those years missing? - Working on The Sims 5.

The truth is that Project Rene is in advanced stages of development. The game is already formed, its technology as well, and there are already many fully playable demos.

Of course, there's still a lot to be done in the game, but it's not in its early stages.

When the game's producers say that there are still "years" of development ahead, this is very relative. It could be a year, two years.

We will see more about Project Rene soon, a new episode of Behind The Sims has been announced for the coming months.

I don't think Maxis is going to show as much of Project Rene as Paradox with Life by You, or Paralives. There will be things we'll discover and see about the game's development, but a lot will remain under wraps for a long time. The look of the Sims, what they will look like, will be one of the last things shown, probably when the game announcement is very close, or only in the game announcement.

The reason Life by You and Paralives are being shown in abundance is simple: they are new games, they need to sell their ideas, convince people to try them out, and show that they are receptive.

Another important thing to mention is that Life by You will likely be released by the end of next year. EA isn't going to sit around and watch a next-gen game come along and grab all the spotlight while staying in The Sims 4.

It is very likely that 2024 will be the last year of The Sims 4, completing an exhausting 10 year cycle. Next year should probably be the year The Sims 5 is officially announced, to be released in 2025, when the franchise will be 25 years old.

All of that is even more reason that @simmerorigin's request is not unreasonable. They don't need a show. Literally a two line post would be fine.
  • Options
    Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member
    I agree with Celipoesias They probably won't wait too long after Life by You comes out to announce Sim 5's release. The question will be, will they aim for the Early Access release in September, or the end of Early Access, about 12 months after that.

Anyways, with Life by You, I expect the Sims Team will become more talkative with sharing the features. Its true, since they are the known fish in this sea, they don't have to earn everyone's loyalty, but they still may want to show off some of their swimming, so players don't count them as a dead fish. Seafood aside, I hope you understand my symbolism there. My family is already looking into if we can upgrade our PC to run Life By You.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    SimSpock wrote: »

All of that is even more reason that @simmerorigin's request is not unreasonable. They don't need a show. Literally a two line post would be fine.

Yes, I'd like to know basic features such as the extent of the open world. I'm hoping for an open world that supports rotational gameplay. I want my other families frozen in progression when my active is being played.

I don't need a full summit with fluff such as choreographed dance routines and singers. A paragraph long blog post (no fancy graphics required) is more than enough. Annual Behind the Sims summits are rather infrequent to match Lyndsay Pearson's commitment of transparency, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Rene has been in development for a quite a few years now, I expect 2024 to be the last year of Sims 4 content with maybe one last expansion releasing the following year.

I like TS4 but it's overstayed its welcome at this point.
    Simmer since 2012, The Sims 2, 3 & 4. Setup: i5 10400f, GTX 1650 SUPER, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD & Steam Deck
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,336 EA Community Manager
    Just chiming in that I've been lurky-looing in here, and passing along feedback :)
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    edited June 2023
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Rene has been in development for a quite a few years now, I expect 2024 to be the last year of Sims 4 content with maybe one last expansion releasing the following year.

This better not be true :( that means EA would have lied to ALL OF US…remember they released that blog post in October 2022 where they confirmed The Sims 4 will exist for years to come and more content is planned for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    I think that that more stuff about it will come out during the summer. Paralives has posted a lot of development screenshots and videos, but they never gave a date of any sort (and I'd say it's still years off from being available). When the Life By You Trailer dropped with a September date for Early Access, it may have sped up the timeline slightly, forcing the team to announce more about Rene/TS5.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    ULIBABA66 wrote: »

This better not be true :( that means EA would have lied to ALL OF US…remember they released that blog post in October 2022 where they confirmed The Sims 4 will exist for years to come and more content is planned for the foreseeable future.

No I don't think it's true. Every year, for the last 9 years, people have been saying ts4 is ending this year 😅😅
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member

No I don't think it's true. Every year, for the last 9 years, people have been saying ts4 is ending this year 😅😅
    Yess, that's true :lol: I do hope the Rene releasing around 2028 rumour is true, though! I don't have any interest replacing The Sims 4 with a brand new base game anytime soon! I will gladly pay for DLC for TS4 for years to come! I am in no rush at all <3
    Still, they really should create more pack refreshes and stuff packs for Sims 4 too, though.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member

2024 release seems pretty early to me earlier this year all they had to show us was how build mode worked sizing and recoloring objects no Sims no finished world no actual game play beyond building which looked so unfinished. Now I guess Sims 4 proved they really don't need content to put out a game but I expect to see an adult Sim used as half the life stages, a child Sim who behaves exactly like an adult and a bassinet before I'd think the game coming out anytime soon.

I guess we see the next Behind the Sims how far progress has gone I'm still thinking 2025 unless they picked up the pace drastically.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    I know everyone (including myself) has been clutching onto Lyndsay's use of words "over the next couple of years." Personally, I don't see that as 2024.

However, she also said that the buy mode demo we saw during the Sims Summit "is just a small taste of what Project Rene and the team is working on" so no doubt there is more they haven't shared with us.
  • Options
    Since 2018, The Sims 4 producers have been repeating this speech that the game still has many years to go. I always think that these “years” are quite relative, because it could be two years, three years.

Since 2020, I've been saying that 2024 should be the last year for The Sims 4. And in my personal opinion, it's the most realistic date considering The Sims 5 has already been “announced”, and we have competing games coming up for the first time.

Another important thing we need to consider is that all those “more obvious” features that the community has been asking for are coming. We're going to get horses in 1 month, which is one of those very requested obvious features.

What are the most obvious things the community wants that haven't arrived yet?

- Fairies (Gamepack)
    - Bands/Singers (a The Sims 3 Showtime style expansion)
    - Hotels (fully possible in a hotel management gamepack)
    - Cars
    - Burglars

Among the more obvious things that the community has wanted and asked for for a long time, is this.

I don't include pre-teens because I don't believe they will be added to the game. Unlike infants, who have a reduced range of interactions with Sims and objects, pre-teens would need to have animations created for many things that were done over the last 9 years, so the work to be unfeasible.

Another important thing is that the foundation of The Sims 4 is not holding up anymore. The game is experiencing an increasingly severe amount of bugs and technical issues.

I also don't think The Sims 4 will continue to release new content after The Sims 5 releases, in case The Sims 5 actually releases in 2025.

When EA releases The Sims 5, they will certainly want all the public's attention for the game, and it wouldn't do well in marketing terms for The Sims 5 if the previous game, The Sims 4, kept releasing new content. It will be a direct competition scenario, The Sims 5 vs Life By You vs Paralives.

If The Sims 4 continues to release new content after The Sims 5 releases, I can only imagine releases of new Kits, or smaller packs like stuff packs that add new interactive items. Teams working on larger packs in The Sims 4 will all carry over to The Sims 5.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    When I said that 2024 would be the last year for The Sims 4, I didn't mean the 5 would be coming out too. 2025 is 100% the year Rene will release as it'll be 3 years since they announced its development.

The Sims 4 isn't gonna last forever and it most definitely will not last to 2028.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,235 Member
    edited June 2023
    In November Maxis showed us in buy mode like Paralives did in 2019.

So the expectations should be very low.

Keep in mind it's "early stages of Project Rene’s development".
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    In November Maxis showed us in buy mode like Paralives did in 2019.

So the expectations should be very low.

Keep in mind it's "early stages of Project Rene’s development".
    As I said earlier, Project Rene is definitely already in advanced stages of development, as the game started development in 2019.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    edited June 2023
    I think TS4 definitely has at least a good 2 years left in it for more content. As already mentioned: We still need a fairies GP to complete the occult collection.

We really should get cars at some point. If they did the tedious work to make horses, then cars shouldn't be an issue either. And yes, the game could really still use a hotels pack, bands, and also some kind of futuristic and/or into the past kind of pack to match the content of what the previous games offered.

I do think that TS5 has been in development for a couple of years too though. The first year or two was probably making all of the concept art and planning the basic core game mechanics. Then of course they have to hire a team for all of the separate departments and have to also create the basis for the game to run on. We already saw an idea of what the worlds could look like at the summit, and it definitely was intriguing. I hope we get more insight into what the worlds may look like and some basic BG ideas in the Behind The Sims video, though I know the event itself isn't long so I'm guessing the details would be a 5 minute segment at max.

Lastly, it is apparent that the team working on Project Rene is separate from TS4 team, meaning both games are being worked on simultaneously. Working on TS5 shouldn't interfere with the TS4 team's work, so I definitely think they could have gotten quite a lot done on TS5 in the last half a year.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    The potential spanner in the works is the multiple platform thing. Having a separate version for each platform is one thing, having one version handle all of them is quite another. What works well for a PC could easily overpower a phone, what's grand for a phone will be ultra meh for a PC.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I think the Sims Team has received the message that we don’t want the Sims Online (looking at you Project Olympus) and therefore will integrate these online multiplayer features as supplementary to the core Sims 5 game

This is good so that we actually have a functioning and expandable core game and aren’t missing cars almost a decade after release like in the Sims 4

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2023

Do you remember when Grant left TS4? When was that information out there? Like in 2017 or 2019? I can't remember but we see he has been working on Project Rene, right? for a very long time. So, yeah, something is a little off about just started the project and or if it's true it was in the works for a few years or more. ETA: History is bound to repeat itself. There were all kinds of projects planned for all of the series and dropped once a new game was ready to be released. They have said every time now, they will keep producing a game as long as people are buying, but it never holds to be true, they drop an older game like a hot potato once the new one is ready.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.