Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can we please have a sexual preference option?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I dont think this is an issue for parents or any political parties...the game already has lgbtq+ features, themes, cover art, had a boycott and whatnot throughout the game. Its very obvious there is lgtbq media in the game thatll surprise no one. Adding a preferences feature is good for players to play their own way. In the meantime I believe there are mods that can do this
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    This has nothing to do with politics or with the neighborhood stories. It's been like this since game release -- my guess is it's an issue with the game engine and multitasking and the emotion system (which is shallow and lackluster). Sims 3 was set up where once a sexual preference was set, it stuck and it would take a lot of work to get a sim to switch teams so to speak, which also could be a bit of an issue. You could use mods to refine the system (NRaas SP was particularly robust when it came to setting sexuality, but a system was already in place).

Really, ideally you would be able to set sexuality, including monogamy, through neighborhood stories. I'd also like for group chats to be a lot less invasive. That is actually one of my biggest complaints about Sims 4 -- everyone is way too chatty, and there are a lot of times where the chatting is completely inappropriate. I'd prefer it if group chats involving an active sim had to actually be initiated by the active sim.
  • Options
    Natsu1986Natsu1986 Posts: 9 New Member
    I might be bi... But, I don't think straight, gay, and lesbian should be preset to bi without their permission by the staff.

Maybe give us romantic preference likes & dislikes instead of a single turn on, and turn off.

And, both this like & dislike system, and the one about hobbies, decor, etc. should let you pick a stance on everything instead of just twenty. What kind of person only likes twenty things total in existence? I'm definitely more evolved than that by a lot.

I'm also more evolved than five personality traits. And, I don't need university for it.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Not a fan of the wording and message of the original post, but sure I think it would be good to add the option of setting sexualities and other preferences for those who want it. Personally though I like how my sims can date and flirt with whoever I tell them to rather than being restricted
  • Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 725 Member
    And "Free Love" isn't specific to LGBTQ people. Beatniks and shortly after, Hippies, were the first to make a Revolution out of promoting "free love" and the vast majority of them were straight, white, and privileged. The point being, whether and to what degree monogamy matters, is separate from orientation or gender identity.

I too am annoyed by how meaningless relationships and woohoo are in sims4 due to them not caring, and hooking up with anyone and everyone, but that's not because of LGBTQ inclusion or representation, and one doesn't imply the other. :)

Totally agreed, although the hippies of the 60s were merely co-opting a much older idea. So called 'radical intellectuals' in the late 18th and early 19th centuries practiced ideas of 'free love', both as a way to protest the Christian churches ideas of chastity as a virtue, and what they saw as the 'slavery' of Christian marriage, and to promote equality between the sexes. There's was a utopian ideal of an egalitarian society by throwing off the shackles of convention, and adopting a free love ideal for all the sexes. Of course the people participating in this, including Mary Shelly and Percy Bysshe Shelly, were also of a more privileged class, and while it was easy enough for men in the movement to discard wives and girlfriends, the women in the movement still had to live in the reality of the society they were born into.

Having said all that, the idea that a group of privileged, or at least semi privileged people, trying to woohoo their way into a better society has anything to do with people in the LGBTQI community fighting for recognition is pretty ludicrous.

Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 725 Member
    Gay, straight, or Pan, there's hardly any point in Sims getting wed in the first place because they act just as unattached as they did when single, regardless. It's a larger problem, that nothing literally matters with Sims4 sims and it makes them boring or impossible to get immersion with.

This, so much this! I have a mix of heterosexual and same sex couples in my game, aside from one couple out of many all my couples are head canon'ed as monogamous in a committed relationship. So it peeves me to no end when my 'married for x number of sims years' couples suddenly start randomly flirting with other sims, or accept the flirtations of other sims.

Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    What I always believed was that the Sims in Sims 4 started off neutral and then gender preference was created based on player directed romance interactions. I thought it was 10 points for each action, and after 10 actions, it would become 100% gender preference or preference for both if they flirted with anyone. That is what I read somewhere else. I’ve never had any problem with autonomous flirting until the recent changes, so I am not sure what is going on, but the autonomous flirting is out of control and I think maybe they have been tinkering with autonomy for neighborhood stories and have just lost control of the flirty mood buffs? But then it sounds like some of you are saying you’ve had this problem for a very long time. Before the group chats or random chats started by other Sims never produced any relationship changes with my Sims in fact they didn’t even remember them.

I like that my Sims are building autonomous friendships, but autonomous romances are just not meaningful when they are so random. I think the flirty mood should have a personality impact, not a relationship one. If they are feeling flirty, they should have some fun new interactions, but they shouldn’t complete romance socials without any rules. It makes it impossible to play with your own story. Maybe the Sims shouldn’t build romance autonomously unless you agree to it. There could be a popup like the NS ones to see if you want them to proceed with flirting or not in the chat. I also really want an attraction system, but I would like a more interesting one with personality traits, likes and dislikes, skills, careers, income etc. included with any physical traits. As for setting sexual preferences in CAS, I don’t think they have any issue with that, I just think they had it determined through gameplay before, so they should fix the gameplay but if they can't maybe they should make a CAS option if that will work better.
  • Options
    TammorsTammors Posts: 359 Member
    Don't they develop sexual preferences if they keep flirting and woohooing with sims of a certain gender?

I thought they did. Then again, my game does have mods.
  • Options
    SommoreButtaSommoreButta Posts: 489 Member
    Not sure if anyone has answered this. Didn't read all of the comments. But there's a thing by TurboDriver where you can fix that in your like's. Just to let you know.
    sdaomhlfplv5.png Bestie's In Sim Form
  • Options
    CangwenCangwen Posts: 220 Member
    I wish it were an option. The ace community hasn't gotten enough love from the sims team.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,417 Member
    edited June 2022
    This is how Gender Preference works in The Sims 4
    • Hetero sims = no same gender friends
    • LGBT sims = only same gender friends

This system is awkward because people tends to do the opposite thing.

Maxis should not count the friendship and only romance should matter to adjust the Gender Preference.
  • Options
    Sol_RisingSol_Rising Posts: 20 Member
    > @bruceleroy98 said:
    > I'm getting tired of having to struggle to undo unwanted same sex relationships in my game. I understand gameplay freedom and I have nothing against homosexuality but I don't want it in my game without my control.
    >
    > Please make this a gameplay base game update soon. It ruins the flow of the game. Make it optional please.

I think I understand most of what you are saying. Your saying that you don't want homosexuality present in the game without your control right? That I can agree with. It should most definitely be an option, especially for religions that don't support homosexuality. The problem is, I feel as if people will look at this as hate towards homosexuality and in turn EA wouldn't implement this to avoid a dip in reputation.

Again, I have no problem with homosexuality. I don't necessarily support it (meaning I wont actively celebrate LGBTQ and will typically ignore it) but I don't hate people based on their sexuality. In fact, I love socializing with everybody and learning more about them, no matter what they look like or what their sexuality is. Furthermore, I have family members who are homosexual and I never look at them negatively because of it. I feel EA should not only implement more LGBTQ content into the game, but also add options to hide them for the people who are apart of a religion that contradicts them.

A part of me feels like there are many simmers than anybody realizes who feel the same way like you, and maybe even like me in regard to religion, but those people have a fear that if they open up about this, it may indicate hate and therefore a lack of complete understanding will occur. Someone may call discrimination or assume hate, but an understanding person will know that there are still religions to this day that consider it a sin to be in a same-sex relationship.

Hopefully, EA can understand what you and even I have said and implement an option to prevent homosexuality relationships in the game. Until then, mods are the way to go, if you can find one that wasn't taken down due to discrimination/hate.
    Played TS2, TS3, and obviously TS4. Systems I played the Sims on are GameCube, Xbox 360/One, PS3/4, and now primarily the PC.
    fRPtyvE.png
    The picture is from my ROBLOX game. Yep, I'm a ROBLOX developer and proud to be one.