Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U Course: Building Tombs! Guest Lecturer: Lissykin! ViewAll Lessons Now! (see post 1)

Comments

• Options
    LissykinLissykin Posts: 2,794 Member
    edited August 2012
    Yay for Lesson 4! Register now! :D

Just a little note:
    Calmorezoo is hosting a contest to build a graveyard...it would be a fantastic way to flex your new tomb building muscles, Arnold style.
    As Prisca says..."I have a tomb-er".....Hah! :mrgreen:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/580619.page#9355530
  • Options
    priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited September 2012
    Register me please... I'll be back. 8)

Woo hoo hoo!!! Internet is working good, and I got my entry for the contest in... I won't be turned into a toad, so I can build Tombs today! Although, might be harder for a Mummy to catch a Toady? :D

So, Tomb Building today, it is! And this is how I feel about it:
    Screenshot-17-3.jpg"width=600""height=450"
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Hi everyone! I'm having some ongoing game issues since installing the patch yesterday, so I was unable to fully prepare the portion on Fog Emitters. I'm going to post the finishing of the tomb, and then work on the Fog Emitter portion during class. Thanks for bearing with me. :)

I'll also be posting the processes in list form for future reference later today. :)

@Prisca: LOL @ your T-shirt!!! :lol:
    I'm still not sure what the issue is with the Fire Trap/Steam Trap trouble. I messed around with it for awhile and finally was able to get mine to work every time using the instructions I gave earlier. Weird, right?
    You may have to do it Aliens style and as Ripley says, "Nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure." I wish I had better news for you! :(
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Welcome to Lesson 4!!

You've made it through! :)
    Since this is the last one, today we’re going to focus on some finishing touches, final loot and decorating.

To start, please open your game, and in the main menu open the cheat window (ctrl+shift+c) and enter testingcheatsenabled true. Open the cheat window again and enter buydebug.

Select your neighborhood and start the game. Once you’re in the neighborhood, you can do one of two things:
    Option 1: Edit Town, then build/buy the Forgotten Sepulchre. –or- Option 2: Select your tester simmie’s lot, then once in live mode, pause the game and teleport your simmie to the Forgotten Sepulchre by ctrl+shift+click-ing anywhere on the lot and selecting Teleport Sim.

Last week we left off in the lowest level of the basement, so head back to that location.

Starting in the first room (this is the one with the corner style rock pile in front of it), we’re going to place some treasure. :)
    Please go into buy mode. First, select four wall torches so you can see what you’re doing. It must be the torches, because we’re going to create more triggers and behaviors:

Lesson4Image1.png

Now, go into the misc category of the ? menu, Tomb Section, and select a tomb room marker. Place it, then open the miscellaneous section and place a tombstone against the wall in the center of the room (please note that it will turn into an urn).
    Place the urn on an end table. It used to be that you could change the urn to the tombstone style indoors, but since the most recent game update, that option isn’t available. Anyway, after you’ve done that, then go back to the ? menu and place a Hole in the Floor directly in front of it and ctrl+shift+click then select Hide:

Lesson4Image2.png

Ctrl+shift+click the urn and select Mourn:

Lesson4Image3.png

Ctrl+shift+click the Hole in the Floor and select Link to Activated Behavior…Appear:

Lesson4Image4.png

When the simmie mourns the death, the Hole in the Floor will appear. Let’s make it a little more interesting. Next Ctrl+shift+click the door to Room 2 (with Panu’s Axe), then select Add Ability to Add Triggers and Activate Behaviors. Ctrl+shift+click the door again, and select Lock:

Lesson4Image5.png

Next ctrl+shift+click the Hole in the Floor and select Link Triggers…Hidden Switch:

Lesson4Image6.png

Ctrl+shift+click the 2nd room door and select Link to Activated Behavior…Unlock:

Lesson4Image7.png

We need to add the Cause/Effect FX so that the adventurer is aware of what the switch did. Ctrl+shift+click the 2nd door, select Activate Behaviors…Unlock…Turn on Cause/Effect FX:

Lesson4Image8.png

The 1st room is now just a switch room. Add treasure to the Hole in the Floor by ctrl+shift+click-ing the Hole in the Floor and selecting Treasure Component…Set One Time Treasure Info (Currently Set To)…Relic Collection Gold Figurine:

Lesson4Image9.png

Excellent! Now if you want to make any additions to the first room, you may but I’m considering it complete. On to Room 2! :)

For Room 2 Pangu’s Axe is the main glory. I would like it to be a bit hard to reach, so let’s build a wall in the middle of the room.
    Go into build mode and select the wall. After p,lacing it, open buy mode and in the ? menu select the Left Eye of Horus. Place it on the floor near Pangu’s Axe:

Lesson4Image10.png

The Eyes of Horus have the ability to transport the holder of the right eye to the location of the left eye and vice versa. To make sure your simmie has the right eye, let’s place it in a locked treasure chest. In Buy mode under the ? menu, choose the treasure chest and place it. Ctrl+shift+click on it and select Set Treasure Chest Info (Currently Set To) 2 Items Crescent Locked:

Lesson4Image11.png

Ctrl+shift+click the treasure chest a second time and select Set One Time Treasure (Currently Set to) Gem Tiberium:

Lesson4Image12.png

Next we’re going to place the crescent Keystone on an end table. Select an end table in Buy mode and then go into the ? menu and select the Crescent keystone, placing it on the end table.

Next, enter standard Buy mode (no shift+click). This will make the camera zoom to your simmie’s home lot. Once there, open the ? menu and select the Right Eye of Horus. Place it in your simmie’s inventory. Teleport your simmie back to the Forgotten Sepulchre, and into the 2nd room. Open the chest, and place the Right Eye of Horus from the simmie’s inventory into the chest. Excellent! When the chest is unlocked, the simmie will get the Right Eye which will allow them to travel through the wall to the room with the Left Eye and Pangu’s Axe.

The simmie will be trapped in the room, so let’s make an escape route. Place a new door. Ctrl+shift+click, select Add ability to Add Triggers and Activate Behaviors. Ctrl+shift+click the door again and select Lock:

Lesson4Image13.png

Now place a floor switch next to the door. Ctrl+shift+click the switch and select Link Triggers…Step On:

Lesson4Image14.png

Ctrl+shift+click the door and select Link to Activated Behavior…Unlock:

Lesson4Image15.png

To finish this room, please place Tomb Room markers in the first and second sections. In game play, the simmie will now be back in the first room, but with Pangu’s Axe. Naturally they will go directly to the boulder. When they smash the boulder they will reveal the door to the last room in the tomb.

To begin setting up the last room, let’s first place some lights. After that, please go to the ? menu and select the Treasure Spawn Point. The spawner allows items to appear on the ground for a simmie to retrieve, like ancient coins, gems, etc.

Place the Treasure Spawn Point near the corner of the room. Ctrl+shift+click it and select Add the Ability to Add Triggers and Activate Behaviors:

Lesson4Image16.png

Ctrl+shift+click the spawner again and select Set One Time Treasure Info (Currently Set To)…Gem Soulpeace:

Lesson4Image17.png

Of course you can choose any treasure you prefer. You’ll notice that the spawner can also be a trigger. Ctrl+shift+click the spawner and select Link Triggers…. Removed Item:

Lesson4Image18.png

When we initially set the Sarcophagi, we set them to have the mummies always appear. Now we’re going to trigger them to do that when the adventurer picks up the gem.

Ctrl+shift+click Sarcophagi 1 and select Link to Activated Behavior…Release Tomb Mummy:

Lesson4Image19.png

Now ctrl+shift+click the spawner and select Link Trigger…Remove Item then ctrl+shift+click Sarcophagi 2 and select Link to Activated Behavior…Release Tomb Mummy. (No pic)

Now when the gem is removed, the mummies will be out! :)

To give our explorer a way out to defeat the mummies, please go to build mode and select a fence and add a gate:

Lesson4Image20.png

Now place a Wall Trap next to each sarcophagi, and a floor switch in front of the gate:

Lesson4Image21.png

Ctrl+shift+click each Wall Trap and select Set Trap Type…Fire. Ctrl+shift+click the Floor Switch and select Link Triggers…Step On:

Lesson4Image22.png

Ctrl+shift+click the Wall Trap and select Link to Activated Behaviors…Set to Fire:

Lesson4Image23.png

Now we’re going to do the same process for the second Wall Trap. Ctrl+shift+click the Floor Switch and select Link Triggers…Step On. Then ctrl+shift+click the Wall Trap and select Link to Activated Behaviors…Set to Fire.

When the simmie stands on the Floor Switch it will make the fire traps go off, so if timed right, both mummies will be destroyed by the flames.
    Next we’re going to give the ultimate treasure reward inside the sarcophagi. Ctrl+shift+click the first one and select Egypt Tomb Loot – Epic:

Lesson4Image24.png

You can either put the same loot in the second sarcophagi or choose something entirely different. This is the final tomb room, so when you place the Tomb Room Marker, ctrl+shift+click the Tomb Room Marker and select Set Final Room Marker. It will bring up a text box asking for the name of the tomb. In this case it will be called The Forgotten Sepulchre:

Lesson4Image25.png

This will queue the game that the simmie has completed the tomb so they can earn the Lifetime Reward and/or moodlet for completing a tomb.
    Since all the exploring is done, it would be boring to ask the simmie to retrace their steps, so let’s create an exit for the sim. First create another 3x7 room using the basement tool:

Lesson4Image26.png

Then you’ll add the same sized space on all the levels:

Lesson4Image27.png

Lesson4Image28.png

Now add staircases all the way up:

Lesson4Image29.png

Lesson4Image30.png

Lesson4Image31.png

Lesson4Image32.png

Now the simmie can climb the stairs all the way to freedom. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Lesson 4 Part 2

We aren’t done quite yet. :)
    Please go back down to the lowest level and add a wall and a door:

Lesson4Image33.png

Now lock the door (ctrl+shift+click then select Lock)to prevent bypassing the tomb traps:

Lesson4Image33a.png

Ctrl+shift+click the door and select Add the Ability to Add Triggers and Activate Behaviors:

Lesson4Image33b.png

To be able to unlock the door at the end of the tomb, place a Floor Switch, ctrl+shift+click and select Link Triggers…Step On:

Lesson4Image33c.png

Then ctrl+shift+click the door and select Link to Activated Behaviors…Unlock:

Lesson4Image33d.png

Page up to the next level and create a wall there too:

Lesson4Image34.png

Lesson4Image35.png

Great! Now let’s hide the top staircase. Ctrl+shift+click on the stairs and select Hide:

Lesson4Image36.png

Now the stairs won’t be visible when first entering the lot. And, even if the stairs are discovered, they can’t be used to go straight to the tomb room because we’ve locked the door from the other side.

Excellent job! :mrgreen:

Now to explain how to override tombstones.
    Please enter the main room of the tomb with the statues and all the urns lining the walls. We’re going to make one of the urns act as a trigger.

Ctrl+shift+click the urn closest to the secret door. Select Override Tombstone’s Plaque…Mummy’s Curse:

Lesson4Image37.png

Lesson4Image38.png

You can set a different death type for each of the urns to make them unique. If you updated your game yesterday, then you’ll notice that the new death types from Supernatural have been added. You may use those choices if you prefer. Next, let’s place a Hole in the Floor. Ctrl+shift+click the Hole and select Hide:

Lesson4Image39.png

Now you’re going to ctrl+shift+click the “death by mummy’s curse” urn and select Link Triggers…Mourn:

Lesson4Image40.png

Ctrl+shift+click the Hole in the Floor. Select Link to Activated Behaviors…Appear:

Lesson4Image41.png

Very good! When the simmie mourns that particular urn, the Hole in the Floor will appear. Go ahead and ctrl+shift+click the Hole in the Floor and select Set One Time Treasure Info (Currently set to) Gem – Soulpeace (or whichever treasure you prefer):

Lesson4Image42.png

Since I would like the sparkly line to be drawn from the urn to the Hole in the Floor, I’m going to ctrl+shift+click the Hole in the Floor and select Activated Behaviors…Appear…Turn on Cause Effect FX:

Lesson4Image43.png

In the future when you build a tomb, you can make all your Triggers and Behaviors include the Cause Effect FX. Just remember to select the item that is the Activated Behavior, select Activated Behavior…(behavior)…Turn on Cause Effect FX.

would be the next thing to discuss when we’re talking about tombstones. Ghosts! I personally have never been able to kill my helpless simmies just for a haunting, so I found another way. First, go into buy mode and select the Carter’s Display Case – XL Edition. This item is listed in the surfaces section of buy mode under the display subheader.

Lesson4Image44.png

Place the display anywhere on the lot, as this is a temporary placement. Next go to the ? menu, and for the ease of searching, select the asterisk and choose to display only items from Ambitions. Next, find the Spirit. Place one in each of the open slots of the display case:

Lesson4Image45.png

In Live mode, click on the display case and select Irreversible Transfiguration 2,500:

Lesson4Image46.png

The machine will flip the spirits on the shelves inward, wobble and shake, maybe generate a little lightning and then when the shelves turn outward, there will be an urn, ghost included! :)
    The simmie will automatically place the urn into their inventory backpack. Grab the urn from the inventory and place it on the lot. Shift+click on the lot choosing Buy on this Lot. Sadly you can’t change the names of the ghosts, but you can alter the way they died. After placing the urn (which will automatically turn into a tombstone when placed outside) anywhere on the lot, ctrl+shift+click on it and select Override Tombstone’s Plaque, then select the type of death. I’m choosing Jelly Bean Death. :)

Lesson4Image47.png

Just repeat this process for the amount of ghosts you want on the lot. If you place too many, it can slow down your game play, so I would suggest limiting it to three or four to start. As you play the game, you can move others simmies who are no longer with game from the town Mausoleum to the Sepulchre lot.
    As far the decorating goes, I will leave it to you to decide how you want to present the interiors; if you want to see how I decorated, I'll be uploading my final version to my studio soon.

For the exterior, the only thing left to do is to place a few shrubs, flowers and a tree to obscure the hidden stairs:

Lesson4Image47a.png

Congratulations! You have a completed tomb!

One last thing, I can't forget to create the ambiance of a cemetery, so now I'm
    going to explain Fog Emitters.! :)

Lesson4Image48.png

Fog Emitters are game magic. They are by far one of the most interesting items. By default they create the palpable fog practically required for a spooky game setting like a graveyard.

After placing them on the lot, they will slowly start building up fog, in the same way that the smoke builds into a plume at the top of a fireplace.

When you ctrl+shift+click on a fog emitter, it will bring up a menu of options; the one we are going to use is Set Visual Effect. When you select this option, another menu will queue asking for a typed command; this is the code for the animation the fog emitter will emote. ;)
    SimEve has compiled an amazing list of the commands and images of what fog emitters can create here. A huge thank you to SimEve from me for taking the time to put this monster together!!
    *If you don't mind, after using this amazing resource, would you please take a moment to thank her either on her blog or on her page for creating such an excellent resource? Thank you!* :mrgreen:

Essentially what the fog emitter does is take a command and generate an animation for that command that can be timed or static. The fog emitter can recreate every animation in the game. So, with that in mind let’s do something really fun!

First, place the fog emitter on the lot; ctrl+shift+click and select Set Visual Effects...fireflies:

Lesson4Image49.png

Lesson4Image50.png

This is what the fireflies look like in game (difficult to catch a good pic of, but they are there):

Lesson4Image51.png

Now to make a fantastic fireworks display that will be visible from the Map View. :)

First, go into Buy Mode, select a fog emitter and a processor. Place them anywhere on the lot:

Lesson4Image52.png

Ctrl+shift+click on the processor select Logic Mode…Cycle (Crawling Ants):

Lesson4Image53.png

Ctrl+shift+click the processor and select Set Clock Mode…Enabled:

Lesson4Image54.png

Now Ctrl+shift+click the processor and select Set Clock Period:

Lesson4Image55.png

A new text box will open, enter 30. By typing in 30 we’re telling the processor how long to unhide the fog emitter, therefore showing the animation. The clock period is set to speed 1 (sim time) so 60 sim seconds equals 1 second in real time. That being said 30 is equal to .5 seconds.

Lesson4Image56.png

Ctrl+shift+click the processor and select Link Triggers…Out 0:

Lesson4Image57.png

Now we’re going to Ctrl+shift+click the fog emitter and select Add the ability to add triggers and activate behaviors:

Lesson4Image58.png

Ctrl+shift+click the fog emitter and select Link to Activated Behavior…Unhide:

Lesson4Image59.png

Ctrl+shift+click the fog emitter and select Set Visual Effects…ep1fireworksfx:

Lesson4Image60.png

Lesson4Image61.png

Ctrl+shift+click the fog emitter and select Activated Behavior…Hide…Activate:

Lesson4Image62.png

Lesson4Image63.png

Lesson4Image64.png

Very good! You’ve now set up the processor to display an amazing fireworks show. :D
    There’re loads of animations and eight slots on the processor ready to be used, so I would encourage you to play with it a little bit to see what you can create!

Thank you so much for attending my courses, I hope this helps you to make the explorable tombs you've been wishing to adventure in.

Lesson4Image65.png

If you do decide to upload a fantastic tomb to the exchange, please send me a note on my page, or post the link on the thread (or both) so I can try out your hard work!

• Options
    sharonxyzsharonxyz Posts: 811 Member
    edited September 2012
    Hi to all! I really hope I have the correct bat time and correct bat channel ...er day... who looks at calendars and clocks? Who gets my ancient tv references? :D
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Hi Sharon! You're here right on time, I get your references! They aren't that old... lol

I'm currently having Photobucket issues, so bear with me...Bah. What a day so far. lol
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Having now actually read (yay, I can read) Lissykin's last post, maybe class will be more informal. Thus I will lurk a bit until I have company...and take copious notes when info is up. I could read the last Zoo U classes too, but maybe should focus on tombs. Soon I NEED to learn CFE! Hope all tomb students have learned much and refer to this forum thread...it is valuable and will stay (if EA loves us at all :))

This big patch, by the way, has my opinion in flux; I love scrolling worlds...so can install more at a time; I hear one can opt out of celebrity status (finally); but at the moment my game won't work totally, as I cannot seem to open my characters panels, such as inventory, traits, status, rewards....ya know, the stuff you need. I may need to reboot or.... sniff.... try playing on line. I cry, because my store stuff gets recalled when I open my game on line. Oh dear, maybe recalling is in progress now! Those meanies won't get me to run away!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Hi Lissy,

Always happy to prove:

a) that I don't JUST talk to myself;

and

b) that I am not lost in time and others here maybe within a decade or two of my age! Still blows my mind that people born in this new century can almost drive, but they definitely enter puberty...oy
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm very curious about the fog emitters...can you believe I once believed (this year!!!) that they just emitted FOG?

:D
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Well, I NEVER talk to myself, I talk to:

1. the cats
    2. the flowers on the bathroom wallpaper

Number 2 needs explaining: as a vegetarian in RL, I get the popular carnivorous retort of "how do you know plants don't scream when picked?"

Well, if they have feelings, then I can talk to them. And I only eat non-poisonous ones... yep, the innocents. Not flowers. I like lettuce.

Oh, and I talk to the monitor and the Sims, but doesn't everyone? :D
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    LOL

Well, I hate to say it but Photobucket will not let me in. All my images are there so class will be even more delayed while I upload the images to a new site. I'm so irritated with Photobucket!! :oops: :x :cry:
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I am here, but I just updated game this morning, and this site has been really buggy for me all day. I'm trying to be able to follow along. If I don't respond to anything, I will post sometime today, whenever I can.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Lissy, if you want to wait until Photobucket is working, I will always wait on you.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm reading SimGuruHydra's report on the Supernatural Q and A. Yowza, new stuff. Even the LAST PATCH has added moodlets and interactions for the vampires now!!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Lissy,

you had me at "hello"

:D
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    See? *points up* Sharon is with me. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    JediArielJediAriel Posts: 4,870 Member
    edited September 2012
    I'm here!!! I'm here!!!

I am so sorry Lissy for being late!!! I'm been so busy and ill, I actually forgot what day it was!!! :oops:

I decided to take a break and update the game. I was playing with the new sliders, when it hit me!!! :shock: :oops:
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    sharonxyz wrote:
    Well, if they have feelings, then I can talk to them. And I only eat non-poisonous ones... yep, the innocents. Not flowers. I like lettuce.

I'm allergic to lettuce... honest! But not steak! So I'm a carnivore! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm so glad you all are here! I'm going to try out Shutterfly, as Photobucket keeps redirecting me and then not responding. Grrr.

Hang in there. If you have anything else you need to do, like play the game, or attend to RL, I should have everything accessible to me by 2:15. What a pain! Sorry to make you wait!! :cry:
  • Options
    ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited September 2012
    Lissykin has been hit with the same technology bug that I caught last night! FINALLY my computer is back on the 'Net, but I really needed access last night for the D.N.A. request spread AND the D.N.A. sponsored contest thread which I was in charge of.
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I am so sorry that both you and Zoo are having problems!!! *Big Squishy Hugs*

And Lissy, please don't worry about class. It looks like prisca and sharon are having a lovely time talking about eating talking flowers and I'm just overjoyed that I haven't missed anything!!! :mrgreen: *More Squishy Hugs*
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    JediAriel: Are you able to sign into Photobucket right now? I'm running into issues with subscription costs and other jazz at other sites, could you see if its just me and try to sign in? Thanks!!! :D

@Zoo: What a pain!! I'm sorry you're having issues too. I'm going crazy not being able to do the things I took for granted. :S
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Lissykin wrote:
    JediAriel: Are you able to sign into Photobucket right now? I'm running into issues with subscription costs and other jazz at other sites, could you see if its just me and try to sign in? Thanks!!! :D

@Zoo: What a pain!! I'm sorry you're having issues too. I'm going crazy not being able to do the things I took for granted. :S

I was able to get on and I did a test upload and it worked fine. I'm so sorry Lissy!!! Do you want to send the pics to me so I can upload to my account??? Or I can give you my login and you can try it from there?

edited to make better sense. :roll:
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Alrighty! Well,I've finally been able to get into Photobucket. Pffft. Entering the class info now in the reserved post on the prior page. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top