Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U Course: Building Tombs! Guest Lecturer: Lissykin! ViewAll Lessons Now! (see post 1)

Comments

• Options
    cbrock7cbrock7 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited August 2012
    Finally, I made it here! :)

Register me! pretty please!

Edit: I also need to share that I've gone crazy with Miss Julianna Tester! She is such a big help! Had to throw that in when I read the above post! :)

• Options
    ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited August 2012
    cbrock7 wrote:
    Finally, I made it here! :)

Register me! pretty please!

Edit: I also need to share that I've gone crazy with Miss Julianna Tester! She is such a big help! Had to throw that in when I read the above post! :)

Thank, cbrock! You just made my day and I definitely will register you! :mrgreen:
    oow785m
  • Options
    LissykinLissykin Posts: 2,794 Member
    edited August 2012
    @Sharon: Love the screenshot! What a great idea to include an easel in the treasure chest! :)

I like the decor too. I haven't done mine yet, I'm an 'until the very end' type gal...aside from the initial rooms as there had to be something in there! lol

@cbrock: Welcome!! Next week will be fun! :D
  • Options
    sharonxyzsharonxyz Posts: 811 Member
    edited August 2012
    @Lissykin,
    My nature prevents me from leaving a room unfinished unless time is too tight. The pacing of the class was just right to try all the new stuff, decorate quickly, and copy text to notepad for future reference! I just know I need to try to make a small tomb somewhere soon, because I believe I'm starting to do the steps intuitively, as if I truly understand...at least so far! Looking forward to next Saturday!! (My nature is also telling me to clean out the weeds and brambles, but I know I should not...at least until class is complete LOL. The atmosphere they give is awesome, but i have some quirks about foregoing realism for neatness :D)

@Zoo,
    Julianna Tester is such a trooper, she is up for anything. I spoil my sims so much they would need static mode to run errands for me LOL.

BTW, I always make my sims jump in dive wells fully clad LOL... swimsuits never occur to me. But they don't seem to mind and love to show off with the backflip into the dive well. I think giving them all the "brave" trait does a lot for tomb hunting :D
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    See all the fun we're having in Lissykin's class? It's not too late for you to join in! Read the first two lessons on this thread, and register for lesson 3 now! Then join us this Saturday to learn more about tomb-building!
    oow785m
  • Options
    priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2012
    Yay! Tomorrow is almost here! I am too excited to wait! :D
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    priscapup wrote:

WHOOT! I'm looking forward to it, too, P-pup!
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    priscapup wrote:

WHOOT! I'm looking forward to it, too, P-pup!

EDIT: DANG IT! I stepped in double-post and it's all over my houseshoes now. Ewwww!

:lol::lol::lol:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    oow785m
  • Options
    exotickittenexotickitten Posts: 4,113 Member
    edited August 2012
    Wow! I had no idea this thread existed! Book marked and going to read all of it. Will probably take forever. But I always wanted to build a tomb and just wasn't sure how. :mrgreen:

Register me. I think that would be around 10 am my time. I will be here. :mrgreen:
    & http://exotickittens.blogspot.com & https://twitter.com/simkitten
    -my nickname was taken on twitter :(
    dac6aa93-85be-457a-a356-02f0a5dd016f_zps42daf419.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Wow! I had no idea this thread existed! Book marked and going to read all of it. Will probably take forever. But I always wanted to build a tomb and just wasn't sure how. :mrgreen:

Hope you can join us for the third class as being here "live" is fun, but even if you can't the lessons will always be here for you to refer to and study at your own pace! :D
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Yay for later today! I'm getting excited to show what I've put together for you.

Floor Traps and Wall Traps and Processors, Oh My! lol

@Prisca: Love the new avi!! She's gorgeous! It's so weird to me when the avi's change because it's like my friend just changed her face. lol

@exotickitten: I hope to see you there! If you have any questions at all about the earlier courses, please don't hesitate to ask, I'm more than happy to help!!

@Zoo: Ewwww....double post on your house shoes...LOL You are so funny! *hugs*
  • Options
    priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2012
    @Lissy: Thanks! I had to change, 'cause I got back to Dallas and cut off all my hair... I felt like a fraud on my avi! So I found something with shorter hair to suit me. :D BTW, haven't mentioned it to hubby, he will find out when he picks me up at airport on Tuesday. :shock:

@Zoo: Quick!!! To the Feet Shed, I can help you get rid of that nasty double-post thingy! *wrinkles nose, looks around quickly for any signs of Jess* :roll:
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    priscapup wrote:
    @Lissy: Thanks! I had to change, 'cause I got back to Dallas and cut off all my hair... I felt like a fraud on my avi! So I found something with shorter hair to suit me. :D BTW, haven't mentioned it to hubby, he will find out when he picks me up at airport on Tuesday. :shock:

@Zoo: Quick!!! To the Feet Shed, I can help you get rid of that nasty double-post thingy! *wrinkles nose, looks around quickly for any signs of Jess* :roll:

Lissy: I know what you mean about avi changes! Freaks me out every time. And my first reaction is always an irrational, "HEY! You can't call yourself by that name, that's my friend's name!" since I don't recognize what has happened for a second. :lol::lol::lol:

P-pup: Two things: First, you are BRAVE to make a big change like that and your husband have no warning! Hopefully he is not one of those, "NEVER cut your hair!" guys! :D

Second: I ain't washin' nothin' in Jess's shed! She could be around, you don't know her. She lurks! And she also actively hates it that we now call her shed The Foot Shed (am I a bad person that that makes it even funnier?) and so you and I are already on her "list". And it isn't the "good" list. :lol:
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Hello and welcome to Lesson Three: Statues, Processors, and Sundries. This lesson raises the bar from early beginner to intermediate, so I strongly advise completing lessons one and two before proceeding.

Let’s get started!
    The first thing you’ll need to do is start your game, and in the main menu open the cheat window (ctrl+shift+c) and enter testingcheatsenabled true. Open your neighborhood and load The Forgotten Sepulchre. I’m going to be teaching this with my tester simmie on the lot. Now open the cheat window (ctrl+shift+c) and enter the cheat buydebug.

Excellent! Let’s start by creating a new area adjacent to the treasure room we made last week.
    Go ahead and enter build mode. Create a basement next to the first basement that is 10x8, and then place a wall:

Lesson3Image1.png

Lesson3Image2.png

Now we’re going to choose a door. I’m going to use the Tomb Passage by Tomb Tech:

Lesson3Image3.png

The idea now is to use a pushable statue puzzle to unlock the door. Go into Buy Mode, ? Menu. Select the pushable statue and place it anywhere in the room. For ease, I’m going to put it near the door:

Lesson3Image4.png

Now go back to the ? menu and select two floor switches, (Switch A and Switch B) and place them. Again, I’m placing them somewhat near the door:

Lesson3Image5.png

We’re ready to add some triggers and behaviors.
    REMEMBER: Always set the Trigger, then Activate the Behavior
    Ctrl+shift+click the door, select Lock:

Lesson3Image6.png

Ctrl+shift+click floor switch B near the door, then select Hide:

Lesson3Image7.png

Now ctrl+shift+click the statue. Select the Make Visibly Moveable – (Currently False). When you click it, it will now read Make Visibly Moveable – (Currently True):

Lesson3Image8.png

Now ctrl+shft+click the floor switch A. Select Link Triggers…Step On:

Lesson3Image9.png

Now ctrl+shift+click floor switch B and select Link to Activated Behaviors…Appear:

Lesson3Image10.png

Ctrl+shift+click floor switch A and select Link Triggers…Step Off:

(No Pic)

Good. Now go back to floor switch B. Ctrl+shift+click and select Link to Activated Behaviors…Disappear:

Lesson3Image12.png

Now ctrl+shift+click floor switch B and select Link Triggers…Step On:

Lesson3Image13.png

Almost there! Ctrl+shift+click the door and Add the Ability Add Triggers and Behaviors:

Lesson3Image14.png

Ctrl+shift+click the door, select Link to Activated Behaviors…Unlock:

Lesson3Image15.png

Last but not least, ctrl+shift+click floor switch A and select Toggle Visual Style:

Lesson3Image16.png

The result will be the footprints changing to the cog wheel symbol, so that your explorers will know to use the statue rather than simply standing on the switch.

Lesson3Image17.png

Very good! That’s all there is to using a statue to make a floor switch appear and unlock a door. Please save your tomb to the Library Bin, and then test it out. Please ask any questions with this part now. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Moving right along, we’re going to make the next room more interesting. Floor Traps and Wall Traps are great ways to confound adventurers.
    First, open Build mode. Create some walls in the new room; I’ve made mine 2x2 from the edge and 2x2 deep, with the long space between measuring 4x4. Next please place an arch to draw the explorer unwittingly forward:

Lesson3Image18.png

Next go into Buy Mode and add a row of pushable statues near the entrance like so:

Lesson3Image19.png

Now, select two floor traps, and place them side by side in front of the arch:

Lesson3Image20.png

Please choose one of the statues to be moveable by ctrl+shift+clicking the statue and selecting Make Visibly Moveable – (Currently – true):

Lesson3Image21.png

This statue will be the one to push upon the trap, thus disarming it so our valiant simmie can get through to the next challenge. Next ctrl+shift+click the first floor trap and use Set Trap Type….Electricity; repeat this action for both traps:

Lesson3Image22.png

Lesson3Image23.png

Lastly ctrl+shift+click both floor traps and select Set Trap State…Armed and Visible:

Lesson3Image24.png

Please note that this is typically the default state for this trap, but double check just to be sure it’s set correctly. Now place a tomb room marker. (No pic)

Nicely done! That room is now complete. When the simmie attempts to traverse the spans across the traps, they will light up and fry them!

There are several options with the traps. Feel free to investigate them. You can set the type of trap, speed, and whether it is hidden or visible. Traps can also be set as triggers.

In the next room (hallway), we’re going to assume your tester simmie made it through the arch and is now in the room beyond. In this room, we’re going to set a few traps that will disarm themselves with other traps.

Just like when I’m building on my own, I’ve gone and run out of space. So to fix that let’s open Build Mode and grab the wall to extend it, then add a narrow hallway:

Lesson3Image25.png

Now open Buy mode and light up this dark space so you can see what you’re doing next. I’m using the Old Times Replica Lamp for wall lights:

Lesson3Image25a.png

Next open the ? menu, select and place a floor trap. Then select a wall trap and place it as close as possible to the floor trap behind it. I’ve used the cheat moveobjects on to place this so the floor trap is just overlapping the wall trap:

Lesson3Image26.png

Please note that the placement shown in the above photo is ideal.

Please try to disreguard the placement of the traps in some of the other pics as it seems to be too far away for the steam trap to extinguish the flames without using the moveobjects on cheat.

Excellent! Now we’re going to place a Floor Switch:

Lesson3Image27.png

Now to set up the triggers and behaviors.
    Just another friendly reminder: First set the Trigger and then set the Behavior.
    Ctrl+shift+click the floor trap and select Set Trap Type…Fire:

Lesson3Image28.png

Now please ctrl+shift+click the wall trap and select Set Trap Type…Steam:

Lesson3Image29.png

*Please note the earlier message and make sure that the traps are placed using moveobjects on and not too far away from eachother*

Ctrl+shift+click the floor switch and select Set Trap State...Firing and Visible (no pic).

Ctrl+shift+click the wall trap and select Set Trap State…Armed and Visible:

Lesson3Image29b.png

Now ctrl+shift+click the floor switch and select Link Triggers…Step On:

Lesson3Image30.png

Ctrl+shift+click the wall trap and select Link to Activated Behaviors…Fire Once:

Lesson3Image31.png

The hallway traps are all done, now place a tomb room marker. :)

The trap is set so that the Sim can’t get past the fire trap until they step on the floor switch that activates the steam trap; which then soaks the fire trap so they can pass. Sometimes the trap can be buggy about putting out the fire, so just be patient and keep trying. :)

Special Note: Due to the buggy nature of the steam trap not extinguishing the fire trap, first, try moving them closer together using the moveobjects on cheat; if that doesn't cure it, do this additional step:
    ctrl+shift+click the floor fire trap. Select Is Disarmable.
    Now if the steam trap doesn't do its job, the simmie can disarm the trap and pass.

Okee dokee, so far so good! Please return to Build Mode and place a single door arch on the side of floor trap:

Lesson3Image32.png

Still in Build Mode, create a basement under the arch that is 9x5:

Lesson3Image33.png

We need a way to get into the new area. This time, we’re going to make a secret staircase. To do this, go to the stairs tool. Select the stairs you would like to use and place them against the rear wall:

Lesson3Image34.png

Before we go any farther, let’s add some lights in the lowest basement, shall we? You may have already beat me to it. Lol It’s rather dark down there! : ) (No pic)
    We’ll get to this staircase later; for now we’re going to need to use the processor and some floor switches in the alternate room.

The lesson continues in the next post. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Introducing...The Processor! :)

This helpful too will allow us to program up to eight different triggers that are activated by a single behavior in the same room.

First, let’s go to Build Mode and add a door, and then go to Buy Mode for wall lights (you may choose any that you like).

Lesson3Image35.png

Since we’ve added this door, let’s make a hole in the wall that opens it.
    Ctrl+shift+click on the door. Select Add the Ability to Add Triggers and Activate Behaviors, then ctrl+shift+click again and select Lock:

Lesson3Image36.png

Go to the ? Menu and select the Hole in the Wall and place it between the arch and the door:

Lesson3Image37.png

Then ctrl+shift+click the Hole in the Wall and select Link Triggers…Hidden Switch:

Lesson3Image38.png

Ctrl+shift+click the door again and select Link to Activated Behavior…Unlock:

Lesson3Image39.png

Perfect! Now place a tomb room marker in the hallway. That was probably fairly easy for you, because by now you would have completed this process several times; BUT if you have trouble, just ask and I will help. Last but not least, place a Tomb Room Marker. (No Pic)

Next, in the room we just unlocked, we’re going to create a puzzle for the explorer. This is where the processor comes in. :)

Enter Buy Mode and in the ? menu tab, select the Processor and place it in the room with the door:

Lesson3Image40.png

Please note that the processor is an extremely helpful tool that allows you to program up to eight triggers (0 thru 7) that activate with one behavior.

Due to the myriad of functions, I’m only going to describe how to use certain ones or we’d be eating Sunday dinner together. lol

Don’t be concerned with the Processor being visible as it will disappear when in Live Mode. Just place it in a convenient location for programming.

Now in the same ? Menu, select a wall inscription, and then a floor switch, placing them in the room with the Processor (sorry no pic).

Ctrl+shift+click the light above the wall inscription (see pic) and select Turn Off:

Lesson3Image41.png

Now ctrl+shift+click the floor switch and select Link Triggers…Step On:

Lesson3Image42.png

Now ctrl+shift+click the Processor and select Link to Activated Behavior…In 0:

Lesson3Image43.png

Ctrl+shift+click the floor panel and select Link Triggers…Step Off:

Lesson3Image44.png

Ctrl+shift+click the processor and select Link to Activated Behavior…In 0 (reset):

Lesson3Image45.png

The (reset) setting with a number deactivates the trigger associated with the number (example: In 1, then In 1 (reset)).

Ctrl+shift+c the wall inscription and select Link Trigger…Read Inscription:

Lesson3Image46.png

Now ctrl+shift+click the processor and select Link to Activated Behavior…In 1 (no pic).

Then ctrl+shift+click the processor and select Link Triggers...Out 0.

Lesson3Image47.png

Please note that you may need to use Link Triggers...Out 1 for this step if the process doesn't work. Special thanks to exotickitten for finding this potential hiccup

Ctrl+shift+click on the unlit light fixture near the wall inscription and select Add the Ability to Add Triggers and Activate Behaviors:

Lesson3Image48.png

Ctrl+shift+click the light fixture again and select Link to Activated Behavior… Turn On:

Lesson3Image48a.png

Ctrl+shift+click the wall inscription and select Enter Text; Create a cryptic message:

Lesson3Image49.png

Excellent! Now we need to place a moveable statue. Go to Buy mode and in the ? menu tab select the moveable statue and place it near the wall inscription:

Lesson3Image50.png

Please grab the statue and place it on the floor switch. The light will turn on (you’ll be able to see the glow under the lamp):

Lesson3Image51.png

Awesome! Now we’re going to make some floor switch triggers. Select four floor switches from the ? menu and place them:

Lesson3Image52.png

Ctrl+shift+click the first one and select Hide. Repeat this for all four switches:

Lesson3Image53.png

Now ctrl+shift+click the processor. Select Link Triggers…Out 0:

Lesson3Image54.png

Next please ctrl+shift+click on floor switch 1, select Link to Activated Behavior…Appear:

Lesson3Image55.png

Now repeat that for the remaining three switches:
    Ctrl+shift+click the processor, select Link Triggers…Out 0; then ctrl+shift+click floor switch 2 and select Link to Activated Behavior…Appear.
    Then ctrl+shift+click the processor, select Link Triggers…Out 0; then ctrl+shift+click floor switch 3 and select Link to Activated Behavior…Appear.
    Then ctrl+shift+click the processor, select Link Triggers…Out 0; then ctrl+shift+click floor switch 4 and select Link to Activated Behavior…Appear.
    Then ctrl+shift+click the processor, select Link Triggers…Out 0. Perfect!

Now when you grab the statue and place it on the original floor switch, all four additional floor switches will appear:

Lesson3Image56.png

Excellent! To make sure that the simmie can properly move the statue, ctrl+shift+click and select Make Visibly Movable - True (No Pic).

Now that all the switches have appeared, we want only one to do something special - make our adventurer have to work for a result. lol

Since the processor will only work with items in that room, we’re going to set a traditional trigger and behavior for the next bit.

First, let’s hide the stairs. Ctrl+shift+click them and select Add the Ability to Add Triggers and Activate Behaviors. Ctrl+shift+click the stairs again and select Hide:

Lesson3Image57.png

What we want to happen is have the stairs appear when the simmie stands on the third floor plate. To do this, ctrl+shift+click floor switch 3, select Link Triggers…Step On:

Lesson3Image58.png

Next ctrl+shift+click the stairs, select Link to Activated Behavior…Unhide:

Lesson3Image59.png

The explorer will stand on all the switches waiting for something to happen. When they get to the third one, they need to know it had an effect. To show a sparkly line revealing the effect, ctrl+shift+click the stairs and select Activated Behaviors…Unhide…Turn on cause effect FX (No pic).

Now, because the room with the processor seems a little blah without any other payoffs, I’ll leave it up to you to decide whether to place a Treasure Chest, Hole in the Wall or Hole in the Floor with some loot in it at the back. :D
    Place a Tomb Room Marker to finish it off. (No Pic)

Next we’re going to move on to the lowest level basement we just created. Down here, let’s get familiar with some of the extras; as in Giant Boulders, Sarcophagi, and Rock Piles.

First, go back into Build mode. We need to extend the basement yet again. Make it nice and large, and then add three rooms:

Lesson3Image61.png

Choose three doors (any that you like) and place them. Next go into Buy Mode and select the Giant Boulder, placing it in front of the first door:

Lesson3Image62.png

The Giant Boulders can only be broken using Pangu’s Axe, so we’ll be placing it in the second room; but not quite yet.

Okay, now we’re ready to place the rock piles. Rock piles are used to block doorways, treasure chests; anything really. They are also great for creating broken down looking areas. Go ahead and select the large rock pile, placing it in front of the second door, and a corner rock pile for the remaining door.

Lesson3Image63.png

You’ll notice that some of the door positions had to be adjusted to accommodate the rock piles, no worries. :) This happens a lot when building, so just move them over a bit so that only a peek of the door is showing through.

With rock piles you can ctrl+shift+click them and set them to trigger events, set the athletic skill and or time required to break them. We’re going to skip those options for now. Feel free to investigate them on your own.

Inside of the third room (corner rock pile) will remain empty for now. Next week we will fill it. The second room will hold Pangu’s Axe. Please select it from the Buy mode? menu and hang it on the wall – then we’ll leave it until next week.

Lesson3Image64.png

Finally, the third room is going to be the final tomb room. Please select two sarcophagi from the ? menu:

Lesson3Image65.png

Ctrl+shift+click them one at a time and select Mummy Chance…Always:

Lesson3Image66.png

That’s it for this class! :mrgreen:

I know it feels half finished, but next week I will show you how to add the finishing touches that will complete the tomb. I will also be explaining Fog Emitters, as I ran a bit long for this class and simply ran out of time. Thank you for understanding the need to bump it to next week. :D

Alrighty, that’s it for today!

I do hope you’ll join me next week where I will be adding more treasures and triggers, show off spawners, override tombstones, and share a few decorating tips.

I hope you enjoyed the class, and pleasedon’t hesitate to ask questions! :D

• Options
    JediArielJediAriel Posts: 4,870 Member
    edited August 2012
    Hi!!! :D
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Hi Ms. JediAriel! Gd to see you! :D

I've started the lesson at the first reserved post and will be adding to it a little at a time to try and cut down the waiting time for the delightful studious students. lol :mrgreen:
  • Options
    JediArielJediAriel Posts: 4,870 Member
    edited August 2012
    Looking through it now, teacher. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Hi. I thought I missed it.
    :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Welcome exotickitten! Your timing is perfect. :)

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I'm going to start laying out the second part of the lesson, but if you have any questions about the first, please ask them. I'm here to help!! :D
  • Options
    sharonxyzsharonxyz Posts: 811 Member
    edited August 2012
    Good afternoon, Professor Lissy :D
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Sharon! Helloooo! lol Good to see you too! :D
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Jimmygrimmy9 (my son) is present and at attention to. :mrgreen: I'm writing the steps down so I can do it with him in game.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top