Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's Talk About The Calendar: Full Pic Of Calendar Added

Comments

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I hope the actual week and calendar are in sync. It would be weird if you had Love Day on Wednesday on your calendar but it was Saturday in your game.
  • Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    I was also about to point out that we've seen simplified version @SimTrippy :) But yeah, I guess the calendar will adjust to the lenghth of seasons.

One thing that bothers me just a little is that the week starts on Sunday. I believe it's common in America, but for me the week always starts on Monday, and I always change it that way if I can. I know they've confirmed that it will always be Sunday, but I still hope it could be adjust in other countries. It's not a big deal, it will just feel weird to me otherwise.

It makes sense for it to be that way in the game though, because when you start a new game it always starts on a Sunday.

I guess it makes sense, but I start the new game so rarely that I don't percive thet as the beggining at all :) The real life habit is way stronger. In Polish version even the week on Sim's work panel is adjusted to begin on Monday.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited June 2018
    I was also about to point out that we've seen simplified version @SimTrippy :) But yeah, I guess the calendar will adjust to the lenghth of seasons.

One thing that bothers me just a little is that the week starts on Sunday. I believe it's common in America, but for me the week always starts on Monday, and I always change it that way if I can. I know they've confirmed that it will always be Sunday, but I still hope it could be adjust in other countries. It's not a big deal, it will just feel weird to me otherwise.

It makes sense for it to be that way in the game though, because when you start a new game it always starts on a Sunday.

New games also start at 8am, should the day change at 8am instead of midnight ? It would make just as much sense after all ;) The start of the week on sunday feels as odd.
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Looks like the calendar is more complex than shown in the trailer (see the extra info to the left?). They did say it was simplified for the video.

Can't wait to see the unblurred version of this. I'll definitely have to use my simself family as a test on the features/mechanics of Seasons before I tackle my rotational play save. I love micro managing and I think this will enhance my micromanaging & gameplay even more
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,551 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    New games also start at 8am, should the day change at 8am instead of midnight ? It would make just as much sense after all ;) The start of the week on sunday feels as odd.
    Now you're just being picky lol (joke) - I was just trying to think of a way we could look at it to make it feel better.

It does feel odd, I admit. And what it even odder is that my rl calendar in Outlook starts on a Sunday too! According to international standard ISO 8601, Monday is the first day of the week. It is followed by Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Sunday is the 7th and final day.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I grew up with this and it's still odd to me :D when important holidays fell on Monday when I was in school they would call it a three day weekend. Made sense as I thought Sunday was automatically the end of the week, still it was common to hear that it was the start instead. I always thought with sims it was fun when starting fresh that you had that day to do nothing though.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited June 2018
    Now you're just being picky lol (joke) - I was just trying to think of a way we could look at it to make it feel better.

It does feel odd, I admit. And what it even odder is that my rl calendar in Outlook starts on a Sunday too! According to international standard ISO 8601, Monday is the first day of the week. It is followed by Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Sunday is the 7th and final day.

You can change it in Outlook in the options. :)

At the very least, I think it should adjust based on the locale, just like it does for the 24/12 hour format. But perhaps it does and SimGuruGeorge wasn't aware of it/referring to that in his answer. The question wasn't what happened in other countries, but if it's customizable, which is a bit different.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,907 Member

Have you checked to see if you can change the starting day in settings? I have my Google calendar set up so Monday starts the week.
  • Options
    loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    Finally!! :D
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Hmmm. Random thoughts... I like how we can see the weather for the next couple days (is it accurate though? haha). I like how it shows the seasons, but I kinda wish it was a bit more obvious because you don't see it when a Holiday is scheduled - I'd much rather see a small icon on the right side than that pastel design over the whole thing.

Also can't see at first glance if your Sims are working on a specific day, without clicking on it... arguably not a big deal.

I also wonder how it will scroll from one 'month' to the next, as there are no dates or months... I'm guessing the current week will always be at the top and you can see the next 3 ones displayed?

How can you plan Holidays for every season if you can only see the next 4 weeks and a season is 3 weeks though? Will the game remember your 'Spring day' as the 2nd Thursday of Spring or something?

Would have to see it in action I guess. But I kinda like it. Just so many questions, lol.

• Options
    loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    edited June 2018
    I hadn't even realized those were four different weeks! I thought the slots were different times for each day in which you could place different events.
    It is weird to me that there is only one slot per day. I wonder how it shows when you have multiple events for the day. Maybe they aren't visible on the calendar itslef and are just listed on the left side?

@Francl27 it looks like there is a scrolling bar on the right side of the calendar.
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    edited June 2018
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I also wonder how it will scroll from one 'month' to the next, as there are no dates or months... I'm guessing the current week will always be at the top and you can see the next 3 ones displayed?

How can you plan Holidays for every season if you can only see the next 4 weeks and a season is 3 weeks though? Will the game remember your 'Spring day' as the 2nd Thursday of Spring or something?

I don't think they ever said the calendar is limited to a display of 4 weeks, you're just seeing the entire "year" with the default 7-day season length. If you change the season length, the scroll bar will get longer to accomodate (as seen in the trailer).

At what point does the calendar roll over to show the "new year", though? How far through the yearly season cycle do you have to get until you see the next winter?
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited June 2018
    Hmmm. Random thoughts... I like how we can see the weather for the next couple days (is it accurate though? haha). I like how it shows the seasons, but I kinda wish it was a bit more obvious because you don't see it when a Holiday is scheduled - I'd much rather see a small icon on the right side than that pastel design over the whole thing.

Also can't see at first glance if your Sims are working on a specific day, without clicking on it... arguably not a big deal.

Would have to see it in action I guess. But I kinda like it. Just so many questions, lol.

There's a scroll bar on the right if there are more rows. Also, can't tell from the screenshot, but info might display on hover.

loutredor wrote: »
    I hadn't even realized those were four different weeks! I thought the slots were different times for each day in which you could place different events.
    It is weird to me that there is only one slot per day. I wonder how it shows when you have multiple events for the day. Maybe they aren't visible on the calendar itslef and are just listed on the left side?

@Francl27 it looks like there is a scrolling bar on the right side of the calendar.

Gurus have said you can only plan one holiday for each day, but events are separate (I don't think there's a limit on those).
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »

I don't think they ever said the calendar is limited to a display of 4 weeks, you're just seeing the entire "year" with the default 7-day season length. If you change the season length, the scroll bar will get longer to accomodate (as seen in the trailer).

At what point does the calendar roll over to show the "new year", though? How far through the yearly season cycle do you have to get until you see the next winter?

Ok, makes sense. I wonder about when it rolls over too, and how it 'remembers' Holidays from one season to the next.
  • Options
    The holidays, I'm guessing, are fixed (but can be edited or deleted. Fixed as in doesn't move). If Harvest Day is on Thursday of this "year", it will be on Thursday of the next year and the next and the next. There are no dates (as in 1, 2, 3, etc.) or months (March, April, May). That calendar only changes if you add to or take away from it. The calendar in the trailer shows the full year of holidays from New Years to Christmas and all in between. So, there is no "rolling over" to the next year as it will be the same calendar every year if left unedited.

40857703580_af0dbebc9d_b.jpg
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,551 Member
    @Neia @simgirl1010 I never thought of changing the settings lol - thank you <3

I like the look of the full sim calendar, but I automatically think of it as being a month long, not a year. I am dying to know what the maximum settings are for the length of each season!
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited June 2018
    @Neia @simgirl1010 I never thought of changing the settings lol - thank you <3

I like the look of the full sim calendar, but I automatically think of it as being a month long, not a year. I am dying to know what the maximum settings are for the length of each season!

I've never thought of changing mine either on Google calendar xD drives my bf mad somehow. But me I've gotten used to it pretty quickly. I thought it was weird as first but now I've come to think of the weekend as simply being split in half so to speak. While Saturday's somehow still part of fun Friday, Sunday's already a step closer to Monday. I know it's not what the calendars were probably intended to be read like but that's how it stopped looking weird to me :D I can see why some simmers would prefer Monday to be first, but it honestly doesn't make all that much difference somehow. The week's still a week. So I hope they'll feel less bothered by it once they've used it a few times :)
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    We already have Love Day. It's the crappy romance festival.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Maybe you could set love day to happen on the same weekday as the romance festival so as to tie the two together.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2018
    EmmaVane wrote: »

There's a scroll bar on the right if there are more rows. Also, can't tell from the screenshot, but info might display on hover.

loutredor wrote: »

Gurus have said you can only plan one holiday for each day, but events are separate (I don't think there's a limit on those).

Oooh, so if there's no limit on events we can plan some very busy days. I think I'll plan a day where my serial romantic goes out with a different sim every 3 hours. Will be fun to see how far I can get with each date in such a short time. <3
  • Options
    yuppyupp Posts: 570 Member
    Does anyone know if we can customize events how we can holidays? I would love to finally be able to set up baby showers, wedding showers, pool parties, bbqs
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    So maybe you click the day and the possible activities come up.. or does that happen when you are making a holiday? And what is the diff between an event and a holiday? Soooo many questions. I want to have it now!
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    I'm sure there will be an edit button.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top