Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's Talk About The Calendar: Full Pic Of Calendar Added

Comments

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited June 2018
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Sooo I was thinking: they say they simplified the UI for the trailer. And then there's the story with Vladislaus being invited over (as part of a tradition, it seemed) before Harvestfest.

I was wondering about the tradition "invite guests". Maybe this really means invite them over for a set period of days you can choose yourself? Not getting my hopes up, but ... I guess it could be? (circled the image for another reason, sorry that it's sort of highlighting the wrong tradition :D)

iwDcfFj.png

I think it's possible. I believe that it was SimGuruEmory showing us EA Play as holiday, and there was set a certain time. So that feature is definitely missing from the trailer.

That would be really awesome :D You could just invite over the entire family for harvestfest / gift giving / personal family traditions (all the kids that have already grown up & left the house, the grandparents) & have them stay for the entire holiday season. Or only the grandkids and finally build a good relationship with them. I'd be so excited if they made that an option!
  • Options
    loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    Sooo I was thinking: they say they simplified the UI for the trailer. And then there's the story with Vladislaus being invited over (as part of a tradition, it seemed) before Harvestfest.

I was wondering about the tradition "invite guests". Maybe this really means invite them over for a set period of days you can choose yourself? Not getting my hopes up, but ... I guess it could be? (circled the image for another reason, sorry that it's sort of highlighting the wrong tradition :D)

iwDcfFj.png

The holiday might last for a certain time but its traditions, like "invite guests", are just the things that will give you points if you do them during the holiday. So as much as I would love for it to be possible, I don't think you can set a length of time for those
  • Options
    KyationeKyatione Posts: 187 Member

I knew it! What made me consider that they might have done that is that during the trailer when creating the Summer Cool-down holiday, they only picked things found at the very top of the UI and didn't bother scrolling down. I found that suspiciously convenient for them, especially when the list of traditions seem to be alphabetically organized except for Water Fun and Streaking which looks like they were deliberately placed there to not give away most of the details. Also, despite clicking on the traditions and selecting them, I didn't see where the option was to give select ones that little pink heart behind them like in the trailer. Lastly, after selecting holiday traditions, they didn't even show the final check off to confirm creation of the holiday so my instincts told me they were hiding something.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,767 Member
    edited June 2018
    Kyatione wrote: »

I knew it! What made me consider that they might have done that is that during the trailer when creating the Summer Cool-down holiday, they only picked things found at the very top of the UI and didn't bother scrolling down. I found that suspiciously convenient for them, especially when the list of traditions seem to be alphabetically organized except for Water Fun and Streaking which looks like they were deliberately placed there to not give away most of the details. Also, despite clicking on the traditions and selecting them, I didn't see where the option was to give select ones that little pink heart behind them like in the trailer. Lastly, after selecting holiday traditions, they didn't even show the final check off to confirm creation of the holiday so my instincts told me they were hiding something.

fork and knife w/ plate inbetween icon is "Grand Meal" and Polar Bear Icon is 'Polar Bear Splurge"
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited June 2018
    Looks like the calendar is more complex than shown in the trailer (see the extra info to the left?). They did say it was simplified for the video.

• Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I really like the look of the calendar, it will awesome to micro-manage my Sims timeline with it. I'm still hesitating how I'm going to handle my rotation, but I think I'll do one rotation = one year. I'll have my seasons rotation inside my household rotation, and the calendar will be super useful to keep track of that. I'll probably create new holidays over time, with some vacation here and there.
  • Options
    MadameLee wrote: »

fork and knife w/ plate inbetween icon is "Grand Meal" and Polar Bear Icon is 'Polar Bear Splurge"

I know that. Keep in mind they already tweeted about both of them so having people see the icon wouldn't matter anymore. What matters is hiding other things that have yet to be disclosed. I just didn't mention that they might have rearranged more than a couple traditions.
  • Options
    PopcornHotsaucePopcornHotsauce Posts: 143 Member
    edited June 2018
    loutredor wrote: »
    The holiday might last for a certain time but its traditions, like "invite guests", are just the things that will give you points if you do them during the holiday. So as much as I would love for it to be possible, I don't think you can set a length of time for those

Oh shoot, I didn't think of this. I was thinking the traditions were things your sims were likely to be compelled to do autonomously, like in GT clubs, and not just a checklist to get points. Still excited, but that changes things at bit for me. Still hoping they are swayed a bit to do them themselves, for instance, like watch a football game on Superbowl Sunday rather than me having to manually guide them and pick the channel.

• Options
    loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    edited June 2018
    loutredor wrote: »

Oh shoot, I didn't think of this. I was thinking the traditions were things your sims were likely to be compelled to do autonomously, like in GT clubs, and not just a checklist to get points. Still excited, but that changes things at bit for me. Still hoping they are swayed a bit to do them themselves, for instance, like watch a football game on Superbowl Sunday rather than me having to manually guide them and pick the channel.

That's not exactly what I meant. I was just talking about the fact they were actions you couldn't determine the lenght of.
    But that doesn't mean sims won't do them autonomously.
    Personally I hope our sims don't, because I would rather control my own sims than having them cancel what I tell them to do in order to do autonomous actions, but it would be great if the other sims outside of our household did those things autonomously on the specified day.
  • Options
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Looks like the calendar is more complex than shown in the trailer (see the extra info to the left?). They did say it was simplified for the video.

Uch .. I'm glad @SimGuruEmory is having fun with this xD
  • Options
    I hope this isn't off-topic but seeing as it is about the calendar and its traditions, I'm wondering if types of traditions will be updated appropriately with each new pack release just like with GT Clubs.
  • Options
    mctsimmermctsimmer Posts: 277 Member
    From what I can see family meals can be on the calendar. I'm hoping this extends to outside the household. I have several households that are branches of an extended family. I'm hoping this is part of the preview this Saturday to see how the calendar works.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »

Uch .. I'm glad @SimGuruEmory is having fun with this xD

I am too. Watching them tease us is fun in itself. The calendar system looks very complex. I'm guessing the guest section will have it's own tab. Such wonderful toys are coming our way...
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I hope this isn't off-topic but seeing as it is about the calendar and its traditions, I'm wondering if types of traditions will be updated appropriately with each new pack release just like with GT Clubs.

• Options
    IceyJ wrote: »

Thanks, IceyJ. I realized that the traditions are broader than the specific activities in clubs, I was just wondering if it was broad enough to cover future content as well. Well, no use crossing that bridge now, I'll trust the devs insight then. :smiley: Really can't wait for the reveal/unblur of the rest of the calendar UI. :relaxed:
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Most of the things in that list are pretty general and would work in different lists for different holidays. Gift Giving, for example, works for almost any holiday, birthday, anniversary, etc.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Most of the things in that list are pretty general and would work in different lists for different holidays. Gift Giving, for example, works for almost any holiday, birthday, anniversary, etc.

Yes at first I was thinking this too, but then I hoped they included a way to define who gifts are being given to. Cause I don't know about you but on my birthday I'm not handing out gifts to anyone else xD I kinda hope they thought of this and allow you to give gifts to either specific sims or categories of sims (like dads for Father's day etc.)
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Cause I don't know about you but on my birthday I'm not handing out gifts to anyone else xD

Would be weird if you did :D

Also I too want the option for sims to give pressies to specific sims.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 553 Member
    Yes at first I was thinking this too, but then I hoped they included a way to define who gifts are being given to. Cause I don't know about you but on my birthday I'm not handing out gifts to anyone else xD I kinda hope they thought of this and allow you to give gifts to either specific sims or categories of sims (like dads for Father's day etc.)

Based on the trailer I think there's one definite option for gift giving, which happens Sim-to-Sim, and which you probably have to initiate with your active Sim.

There's also a pile of presents we've seen, and they might have coded that to be like TS3 where you click on it and choose open gifts and a group of Sims will open gifts from it. But we haven't actually seen anyone doing that to my knowledge so maybe the pile is just for decor? We know that "give gifts" is a tradition but not sure if "open gifts" is, which I would count as a different activity.
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    I love how they added streaking as a tradition. Mardi Gras, here I come! >:)
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    I posted something similar in another thread, but it bears repeating.

40857703580_af0dbebc9d_b.jpg,

As you can see, the calendar appears to be one page, not one per month or season. You can see all the years holidays in one glance.

I see a birthday cake icon and a party icon. So if you have a family of six, would you have a different day for each sim's birthday or one day for all?

If you give Mary a birthday icon to remind you of her birthday, you can set Give Gift as a party option. And the same for your sim, I would think.

My question is, does this calendar (number of days) increase and decrease as you change the seasons length?
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I posted something similar in another thread, but it bears repeating.

40857703580_af0dbebc9d_b.jpg,

As you can see, the calendar appears to be one page, not one per month or season. You can see all the years holidays in one glance.

I see a birthday cake icon and a party icon. So if you have a family of six, would you have a different day for each sim's birthday or one day for all?

If you give Mary a birthday icon to remind you of her birthday, you can set Give Gift as a party option. And the same for your sim, I would think.

My question is, does this calendar (number of days) increase and decrease as you change the seasons length?

But it seems you can go down quite a bit further on that image. You might be right though that it gets longer with season length! I think you can make one birthday per sim though, not one for all (though you could probably do that too!).

@bizuktag just FYI the calendar we see in the trailer is a simplified version, so there may be more features to some of the options! :)
  • Options
    With the average season length of seven days, that means one year would be 28 days. With obvious holidays (6=/-), that leaves 22 days for our holidays. Almost one every other day.
  • Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    I was also about to point out that we've seen simplified version @SimTrippy :) But yeah, I guess the calendar will adjust to the lenghth of seasons.

One thing that bothers me just a little is that the week starts on Sunday. I believe it's common in America, but for me the week always starts on Monday, and I always change it that way if I can. I know they've confirmed that it will always be Sunday, but I still hope it could be adjust in other countries. It's not a big deal, it will just feel weird to me otherwise.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,568 Member
    I was also about to point out that we've seen simplified version @SimTrippy :) But yeah, I guess the calendar will adjust to the lenghth of seasons.

One thing that bothers me just a little is that the week starts on Sunday. I believe it's common in America, but for me the week always starts on Monday, and I always change it that way if I can. I know they've confirmed that it will always be Sunday, but I still hope it could be adjust in other countries. It's not a big deal, it will just feel weird to me otherwise.

It makes sense for it to be that way in the game though, because when you start a new game it always starts on a Sunday.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top