Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Online

Comments

• Options
    zoeisabeliazoeisabelia Posts: 67 Member
    The whole point of a multiplayer game is interacting with other people's characters. Let's look at what online would require from a sims game:

-CC would be a pain, since being able to see everybody's CC would require having the content downloaded to your computer. Either CC would be spread around willy-nilly (inflating your downloads folder, and having it so that everybody can have a random creator's stuff without so much as a credit), or else you'll be stuck with a limited number of presets. That's just how online games work.

-A single player game can run on my computer without requiring anything other than electricity. Once you connect to other computers, you'll need someone else to run a server. (It's possible to be a server yourself, but your average simmer doesn't have the technical knowhow or the internet connection to do a good job of it.) If EA runs the servers, they'll cost money. Maintenance, electricity, and in all likelihood a mod team. These thing all cost money, and they cost money on an ongoing basis. How much subscription would you be willing to pay in order to keep the new online sims up and running?

-Pay close attention to what sim social interactions look like. Your sims are engaged in an interaction until one of them disengages. Normally, when it's just you and your computer, the computer is happy to go along with what you as the player want to do. While it would be fun for a little bit to watch other player controlled sims wander around the world, though, how much ability should one player have to tie up another player's sim? On the one hand, if anybody can opt out at any moment, lots of sims would completely ignore you and cancel any interactions because they have other things they'd rather be doing. If starting an interaction can lock a sim in, have fun getting sidetracked from the stuff you want to do because someone else wants to up their social. Or just pick a fight.

These are just some basic issues inherent to an online game. (The Sims Online was basically a glorified chat room where you had to constantly grind to keep your skills up. There's a reason that model of MMO failed.) You can talk about different models - a microtransaction model instead of a subscription model, for instance. (Although play a few microtransaction heavy games before saying that you want this.) But given how often multiplayer sims has crashed and burned, you'll really want to explain how you'll deal with the flaws inherent to the idea.

So much this. I would like the idea but there are so many logistics involved. Another point would be that people would love to build these amazing huge houses and lots, but then they will find that there would be s limit of how much you can place in a lot due to server space allocation. EA has struggled with this is the past with previous games like the latest SimCity which was online and its current gen of mobile games ( and any online game MMOs that provide any type of player housing) .. The cost of maintenance for huge warehouses of servers would be insane to allow infinite building/collection space. I’m the first one to admit that when it comes to my sims files I am a pack rat and when I decorate I throw everything including the kitchen sink...so imagine the backlash just from builders alone.
  • Options
    LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Zara wrote: »
    @Sk8rblaze Just because the Sims Online failed doesn't mean they can't remake it properly? It had a faulty design to begin with. Also, don't forget the graphics. A lot of people nowadays don't like/play Sims Online today simply because of the graphics. For example, someone commented on a you tube video (regarding The Sims Online): "I wish they had one for sims 4! I don't think I can go back to the old graphics!" and many others agreed with her.

So, with better Sims 4 graphics and just a better game design in general, then I definitely think it could work. People simply like playing video games with friends and family. It's a growing trend in the video game industry.

Also, just because you don't like an idea doesn't make it a bad idea. :)

All in all, if it does actually happen, then it'd most likely be optional or a standalone game so it wouldn't affect you at all. With that in mind, why do you care so much? Why must you put down others' ideas that probably won't even affect you in the long run? Nobody's gonna force you to play multiplayer.

@MrJessXD I 100% agree that multiplayer Sims would bring in a large amount of younger generation fans but only with new and improved graphics. (A lot of) Younger people like games with good looking graphics and they like playing with each other rather than solo. Which is why the biggest game franchises out there right now are multiplayer. More importantly, the younger generations are the future of the Sims fanbase so it'll be best if they start marketing to them as well. I'm tired of investing in a new sims game every few years with no big, game-changing features.

PS....A multiplayer version of the Sims is in pretty high demand as well, so it'll be pretty risky if Sims ignores them. They could be losing a huge potential fanbase if they don't implement a new and improved multiplayer system. These are just a few of the tweets: (there are thousands more)

END_THOS_CONSREVATIVES.png

The highest number of likes I see for anyone requesting an online game again is 65 likes/hearts. That won't pay for a server. They had every oportunity to do this when they were creating TS4 and were in development of The Sims 4 Olympus Project, but they dumped it as they could see it wasn't going to be worth their time and money after the outcry from Sim City 2013. Now, if it was a brilliant idea, they wouldn't have dumped it, and you would be playing TS4 Multi player game right now, and not a single player pc game.

And if you think they are going to allow thirteen year olds to interact with sixty year olds with romantic interactions between Sims then you don't know much about age limit animations. And what would be the point of visting someone else's lot if I couldn't fix my Sim something to eat, have no control over food, entertainment or whatever. That would be hugely boring...about as much exciting as visiting TS3 Sims who threw you out for using the commode or fixing a meal. Everyone thinks their Sims will be able to interact and marry and have kids with other people's Sims=that's not going to happen or it will require an age limit. Especially if there are adults playing the game, you can bet on that at some point an age limit will be designated. ETA: The world is changing and it would be so politically incorrect to allow children to play romantic interactions with actual adults playing as Sims...it would be gross, and it will not happen or someone will be screaming it's wrong. It may or may not be..but this is a politically correct world these days, and it won't fly ever again.

I hadn't even thought about this (ages of players that would be able to have their sims communicate)... The idea of me unknowingly letting my sim flirt/kiss with another sim that's actually controlled by a minor freaks me out.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    LiesSim wrote: »
    @Sk8rblaze Just because the Sims Online failed doesn't mean they can't remake it properly? It had a faulty design to begin with. Also, don't forget the graphics. A lot of people nowadays don't like/play Sims Online today simply because of the graphics. For example, someone commented on a you tube video (regarding The Sims Online): "I wish they had one for sims 4! I don't think I can go back to the old graphics!" and many others agreed with her.

So, with better Sims 4 graphics and just a better game design in general, then I definitely think it could work. People simply like playing video games with friends and family. It's a growing trend in the video game industry.

All in all, if it does actually happen, then it'd most likely be optional or a standalone game so it wouldn't affect you at all. With that in mind, why do you care so much? Why must you put down others' ideas that probably won't even affect you in the long run? Nobody's gonna force you to play multiplayer.

@MrJessXD I 100% agree that multiplayer Sims would bring in a large amount of younger generation fans but only with new and improved graphics. (A lot of) Younger people like games with good looking graphics and they like playing with each other rather than solo. Which is why the biggest game franchises out there right now are multiplayer. More importantly, the younger generations are the future of the Sims fanbase so it'll be best if they start marketing to them as well. I'm tired of investing in a new sims game every few years with no big, game-changing features.

PS....A multiplayer version of the Sims is in pretty high demand as well, so it'll be pretty risky if Sims ignores them. They could be losing a huge potential fanbase if they don't implement a new and improved multiplayer system. These are just a few of the tweets: (there are thousands more)

The highest number of likes I see for anyone requesting an online game again is 65 likes/hearts. That won't pay for a server. They had every oportunity to do this when they were creating TS4 and were in development of The Sims 4 Olympus Project, but they dumped it as they could see it wasn't going to be worth their time and money after the outcry from Sim City 2013. Now, if it was a brilliant idea, they wouldn't have dumped it, and you would be playing TS4 Multi player game right now, and not a single player pc game.

And if you think they are going to allow thirteen year olds to interact with sixty year olds with romantic interactions between Sims then you don't know much about age limit animations. And what would be the point of visting someone else's lot if I couldn't fix my Sim something to eat, have no control over food, entertainment or whatever. That would be hugely boring...about as much exciting as visiting TS3 Sims who threw you out for using the commode or fixing a meal. Everyone thinks their Sims will be able to interact and marry and have kids with other people's Sims=that's not going to happen or it will require an age limit. Especially if there are adults playing the game, you can bet on that at some point an age limit will be designated. ETA: The world is changing and it would be so politically incorrect to allow children to play romantic interactions with actual adults playing as Sims...it would be gross, and it will not happen or someone will be screaming it's wrong. It may or may not be..but this is a politically correct world these days, and it won't fly ever again.

I hadn't even thought about this (ages of players that would be able to have their sims communicate)... The idea of me unknowingly letting my sim flirt/kiss with another sim that's actually controlled by a minor freaks me out.

in Germany the age for Sims is 6+. UK/EU- 12+
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

I didn't mean you personally, but lots of people think they should be that game, where you and someone else get your Sims together, how exactly would that sort of thing work when there is so many taboo things about that sort of situation. And then having a real adult interacting in a chat with a minor as their Sims get involved romantically. I don't think after so much lately, that idea is ever going to pass the green light. It would be too risky for a company like EA who caters to teens and younger to expose thier players to that sort of danger.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited February 2018

*image omitted*

People don't play The Sims Online today because the only way to do so is through a private, unofficial server that has died out rather quickly because people have become bored with it. Even with better graphics, nothing will change.

I'm not for an online mode because the single player mode needs more attention, in fact, all of the funding and attention it can get, before an idea like this should even be remotely considered. The Sims 4, as it is today, still needs a lot of work done for the base game, not only content-wise, but functionality-wise; it's really buggy. Their original online plans for The Sims 4 set it back quite a bit.

We can't really predict what EA would do. As we've seen with The Sims 4, it has affected me and every other player of this franchise, as content normally in EVERY base game in the past (i.e pools) had to be delayed past the release date.

I don't doubt there are users on Twitter asking for it. When you give everyone in the world and their mother a platform to speak on, and include a search bar that highlights keywords, you're going to see a result of people asking for absolutely everything under the sun.
    I'm tired of investing in a new sims game every few years with no big, game-changing features.

You're continuing to pay for the game, which allows them to do this. Not only that, why would you trust the same company to convert the game online as a means of fixing this? That won't change anything. You're still going to have the problems the single player mode has, and you're going to have to deal with the frustrations the developers themselves had when they realized an online mode was not the route for The Sims (and SimCity!)

Just my two cents. It's something I very strongly oppose because it has impacted the single player experience in a hugely negative way, and the life simulation genre which The Sims has always been on top of has loads of potential for further improvement. A multiplayer mode such as Minecraft's servers once sounded appealing to me, but then I think of how The Sims plays, and I can definitely see how time controls, for instance, just remove all desire of such a mode entirely.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited February 2018
    Things to add to the sims online disscussion

Thousands out of 5 million is not a lot of people to lose. Even 50 thousand or 100 thousand out of 5 million isn't that large of a group. Even look at the laundry vote, I'm sure thousands wanted other options than laundry fact is majority wins in marketing because it makes the most $$.

The love of online games and socializing is not new to this generation, Facebook and twitter are pre 2010s meaning people who are in their 40s and 30s helped make them popular not the people who are 20 and under or upcoming (not that I think 30 or 40 is old, they just have been buying and contributing to the sims game before so their vote was already accounted for theoretically). various online games have been popular since the early 2000s (from MMos like WoW (2004) ultima online (1997) final fantasy and all sorts of first person shooters) again, not the newer generation.
    In 2013 sims city flopped spectacularly when online, which isn't that long ago
    Other life simulators online while known are not as popular as the sims series even to this day.
    Other online sims games have not done well
    It is important to consider if the game is targeted at 11 to 15 year olds what parents will think of an online games (some are worried about that kind of stuff).
    Not only would CC and mods be a pain online, what about if some people have expansions others don't? (which often have new interaction of life states that can impact other sims)

Aren't the sims mobile and the sims free play online, wouldn't those count as side games online to play for those interested? (genuine question I have never played and don't know anything except they exist.
    As a side game most of these can be ignored and most people probably wouldn't care

Just some other things to think on
  • Options
    Lady_LeneaLady_Lenea Posts: 6 New Member
    > @BeJaWa said:
    > Things to add to the sims online disscussion
    >
    > Thousands out of 5 million is not a lot of people to lose. Even 50 thousand or 100 thousand out of 5 million isn't that large of a group. Even look at the laundry vote, I'm sure thousands wanted other options than laundry fact is majority wins in marketing because it makes the most $$.
    >
    Sims and Sims 2 had online and local co-op for console. It did not damper game play at all. Sims 2 sold 7 million copies, Sims 4 only 5. We are not talking about thousands we are talking about millions. Millions did not buy Sims 4. Then just take in account how much more accessible computers are now vs 2004 - 2006. Growing up we had 1 pc in the house with 1 console. I now have 3 pcs and 3 consoles.
  • Options
    P.S. SimmytheSim has created an open source for the multiplayer mod he has been working on. You can find it on Reddit his tag is thepancake1.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Lady_Lenea wrote: »
    > @BeJaWa said:
    > Things to add to the sims online disscussion
    >
    > Thousands out of 5 million is not a lot of people to lose. Even 50 thousand or 100 thousand out of 5 million isn't that large of a group. Even look at the laundry vote, I'm sure thousands wanted other options than laundry fact is majority wins in marketing because it makes the most $$.
    >
    Sims and Sims 2 had online and local co-op for console. It did not damper game play at all. Sims 2 sold 7 million copies, Sims 4 only 5. We are not talking about thousands we are talking about millions. Millions did not buy Sims 4. Then just take in account how much more accessible computers are now vs 2004 - 2006. Growing up we had 1 pc in the house with 1 console. I now have 3 pcs and 3 consoles.

@Lady_Lenea
    That was in response to a specific argument regarding twitter comments supporting the mode. My point was they didn't mean much on their own.

I will address this since I happen to have looked into pc vs console sims game sales before. :) The console version of ts2 was a very different game with sometimes a different audience. I can't find anything about it having sold 7 million copies, that in fact looks like a sims 2 stat which again is a different game.
    best selling console games on playstation
    best selling console games on xbox

note the sims games do not sow up on the console lists which end at about million sales each. That means console versions of the sims sold under 1 million, so their players would be in the thousands, tens or hundreds thousands maybe, but not millions. We then have to assume for those sales every play who bought it enjoyed the co-op and online features, but really sales numbers don't tell us why people purchased or if they even liked it.

I do consider the consoles side games, and like I said before, I don't mind there being options out there for online play, I merely want to still have the single player version as well.

Edits: typos
    Post edited by Shadowmarked on
  • Options
    @BeJaWa

I completely agree but I feel like there is so much hate for the idea of multiplayer. The issue is you can have a multiplayer game without it being an MMO. I feel like that is not even thought about. I am clueless as to why.
  • Options
    @BeJaWa

I completely agree but I feel like there is so much hate for the idea of multiplayer. The issue is you can have a multiplayer game without it being an MMO. I feel like that is not even thought about. I am clueless as to why.

Yes, I do think people are a little bitter to the idea, in part due to simcity and Olympus in regards to ts4.

Things change I'm sure ea does surveys and study groups to figure this out. Maybe the sims will go online someday :)
    I had thought the mobile games were online tbh, but I know basically nothing about them.
  • Options
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    @BeJaWa

Yes, I do think people are a little bitter to the idea, in part due to simcity and Olympus in regards to ts4.

Things change I'm sure ea does surveys and study groups to figure this out. Maybe the sims will go online someday :)
    I had thought the mobile games were online tbh, but I know basically nothing about them.

Sims Online failed after the EA changed it

Sims social FB failed

simport in Sims 3 failed

Sim city failed

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    It's not happening.. people hate the idea

As long as it's completely separate from the main Sims 4 game, and no "locked" content requiring multiplayer play, I'm okay with it -- I'm not likely to play it but to each their own.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

The best way to avoid it would be to have age-controlled servers -- some that are open to everyone but no romantic interactions, and others where everything goes but for 18+.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited April 2018
    At the very least this should be done at the end of TS4 development and production as a standalone, as somebody mention here I agree with: the singleplayer needs priority of improving. IMO the multiplayer/online could in theory work, If done well. I do play and enjoy playing FreeSO, but I do find a lot of room for some improvement.

I do agree TS4 Multiplayer/ONLINE (as a standalone) would have to a M/+18 rating. For obvious reasons thirteen age players shouldn't even be playing that sort of game. I do have an open mind, but as long it's executed at the right time (end of TS4 and as a standalone game without locked/exclusive features that feel fit in singleplayer as well). Besides, dlc are still being produced and release and multiplayer would then be complete (perhaps for those who own the packs for singleplayer will be able to fully access the game or have certain advantages of it to multiplayer component).
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    At the very least this should be done at the end of TS4 development and production as a standalone, as somebody mention here I agree with: the singleplayer needs priority of improving. IMO the multiplayer/online could in theory work, If done well. I do play and enjoy playing FreeSO, but I do find a lot of room for some improvement.

I do agree TS4 Multiplayer/ONLINE (as a standalone) would have to a M/+18 rating. For obvious reasons thirteen age players shouldn't even be playing that sort of game. I do have an open mind, but as long it's executed at the right time (end of TS4 and as a standalone game without locked/exclusive features that feel fit in singleplayer as well). Besides, dlc are still being produced and release and multiplayer would then be complete (perhaps for those who own the packs for singleplayer will be able to fully access the game or have certain advantages of it to multiplayer component).

But then we would have people in Germany or UK where complaing their 6/12 year old is too young to be allowed in the online. Or the 6/12 year old would be able to entice a friend or family member whose older to allow them to play
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited April 2018
    MadameLee wrote: »

But then we would have people in Germany or UK where complaing their 6/12 year old is too young to be allowed in the online. Or the 6/12 year old would be able to entice a friend or family member whose older to allow them to play

Then it would be there fault for purchasing the standalone game that as a red +18 marker or an R rating for their children. Multiplayer/Online should come as an external standalone/additional download that could be purchased through online registration or for free downloaded those that have purchased singleplayer edition.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    Matthewsims123Matthewsims123 Posts: 37 Member
    Instead I rather have a regular save but a multiplayer server that like up to a 5 friends can play on and only friends not random people that would be fun
  • Options
    TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    edited April 2018
    Instead I rather have a regular save but a multiplayer server that like up to a 5 friends can play on and only friends not random people that would be fun

This actually reminds me a little of a game called don't starve together
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    You can play Second Life if you want that.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Secondlife can't be optimized well because it's user made ... people can bring in their creations... that means textures are done badly ect. It's a crash fest waiting to happen.
    I would probably give an online version of the Sims a chance if it was made. If it's done I think it should be done in a way that people can have private servers with limited or friends/invite only possibilities. The owner of the server could determine the mods to be run.
    There could be larger public servers also. There would be a huge possibility for trolling.. especially if people wanted to play with things like vamp powers, fire ect. Could be fun but we all know how that goes. You have servers set up basically to bully people that come in.. all well and good if your prepared I guess or if you agree to it. Would be nice too if there were public servers that had some policing done.
    I don't see an online Sims game being rated for a general audience. It would not be a good place for kids.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    I appreciate the care with which you've approached this idea. I also think it sounds like a pretty kewl concept. I especially like the whole idea of the sims being the ones having the conversations. That helps moderate a whole lot that could end up being a problem with an online sims game.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    I've been wanting this for years
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    If people want it it ok but I refused the offer to beta test Second Life as well when it came out as that online stuff is not my line. Wasn't some sexy type online Sim type game brought out as well at that time?

How would an online game manage the language differences between participants? You also might be allocated a server away from your online friends in the forums because of location. Maybe we could all learn Esperanto?

SimCity5 failed because the servers crashed at the start and because of the format so EA would have to make sure they have the capacity this time for possibly, several million Simmers starting at the same time and make the format attractive to those buyers.
    https://kotaku.com/5991077/your-complete-guide-to-the-simcity-disaster.

There is scope for something like this in the future but I would see it as an over eighteen rated experience (not game) which a lot of older simmers want too but is EA/Maxis the one to make it?

• Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member

I have been reading a lot of your post, and as far as I can see, Simmers do not want anyone in their game as one put it they do not want anyone in their business. They feel that this would disturb their sims lives as it is. They do not wish to change their game and do not want others in their world.

I just want you all to know your worlds will always be safe. people could never and will never be able to walk into your sims game that you are playing now. The game is not made that way and no it will not ever happen. So that's not a problem.
    Example: when you got Sims 3 did the old sims from sims 2 arrive No.

If they do make and Sims online we would all have to make new avatars for and from that game only. and Start a new gameplay. make new homes and live in new worlds.
    Where will your sims 3 and sims 4 and sims 2 be? safe on your computer just where you left them. ready to be replayed anytime you wish.

Just forget about servers you never have to have your own servers in an online world. the owner's servers will be able to handle all your needs easily.
    CC Not a problem that's what online worlds do best. You could make your own creations and make a real shop to sell what you have made. either for real money if allowed, or for money in that world to buy things you want from shops and stores of other players. EA could also have shops outside of what we get when we arrive.

The owners can control whats allowed into the world, and how you build in that online world.
    Most online worlds will give out some freebies to help you get started.
    Just like in our games we can build. Sims online can also give us the ability to build for our self.

Some people seem to want to play forever alone in a world. then for those people, they can just keep the games they have or if they do go to an online Sims world, stay in the part you own, your city or your own house with just the family you made. All online worlds give you the ability to lock out all or group only or just your friends it will always be up to you.

Most online worlds will not Moderate you on your private lands. Not that they can not they just don't unless you have been reported. with proof. So yes they come with a lot of privacy on land you have bought and put a home on.

How can online be different, and yet fun? Maybe they will have dance clubs in the clubs are real simmers dancing from all over the world. Some may like to chat, and after go back to their private land or home and lock the door to relax on their beach, or go for a swim, that's easy for online worlds.
    Just maybe you may meet someone you would like to show your home to and how well you have designed it, and maybe they will invite you to theirs.

Maybe later you want a new outfit to go to the dance club again instead of going to build and buy mode you go to a shop, it's mostly done by teleporting. and you get a full list of shops you can teleport to.

Now that you have a private home in the Sims online maybe you want to make a club as well, maybe just for your friends or anyone. keep in mind you can ban all you want to keep out because your the Mod of any land you own.

But for these type games to work well they have to bring in money, Also they should make the simmers feel safe for their information, and safe from getting hacked, they can do this easily. Also, most people want to remain anonymous in these worlds. and not to keep the same names they have real or in any other games or forums.
    This type world will cost us but for the fun, the cost will be low. its no need to cost a lot like that greedy online world.
    But we should not expect free or extream cheap. I feel people do not appreciate what they do not pay for.

We already have Origin, so we already have a system set up for a way to pay and also we know kids accounts from adult accounts.
    Just like our games are rated so can land be rated, from G to mature. so kids could only go to G rated land and dance clubs. they would have mods, the Mature clubs would not. but still, the adults can get banned or reported with proof of a good reason. of course, it will be a code of conduct. as for any Online game.

I am not giving my opinion, either way just wanted to comment on a few things.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor