Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues

Comments

• Options
    redwingsgirl514redwingsgirl514 Posts: 13 New Member
    "When you quit, do you delete the five cache files from your Documents folder?" I have no idea as to how I'm even supposed to find that. I don't think that's ever been cleared out. :open_mouth: I didn't even know that was something you had to do. Thank you.
  • Options
    How do I delete those? Search for each of the file names?
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    How do I delete those? Search for each of the file names?
    You shouldn't have to search very far. They will be at the top level. meaning not buried down in subfolders, of your TS3 user game folder in Documents. @puzzlezaddict already listed them out for you.

CASPartCache.package
    compositorCache.package
    scriptCache.package
    simCompositorCache.package
    socialCache.package
    (you might not see the .package part, depending on your preference settings)

They will each regenerate all by themselves the next time the game launches.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    > @puzzlezaddict said:
    > @redwingsgirl514 The files are in the same place where you would find your Saves folder, as well as a bunch of other files key to running the game. I'm on a mac, so mine are in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\; if you're on a PC yours may be under My Documents but will still be located in the Sims 3 folder. Again, the cache files are as follows:
    >
    > CASPartCache.package
    > compositorCache.package
    > scriptCache.package
    > simCompositorCache.package
    > socialCache.package (deleting this one is optional, but it can't hurt)
    >
    > The folder entitled CurrentGame (which should always be empty when you're not actually running the game) will be in this same TS3 folder and should be cleared out if there's anything in it; when your game crashes, there will sometimes be files left over in there.

I'm not very tech-y. I find my saved game files on the screen that lets you pick out an old game, start a new game, and shows you your sim points total. There's somewhere else to find them?

I searched for one of the file names and got results in my libraries. Is that what I'm deleting? Ugh, I need tech support. lol
  • Options
    > @puzzlezaddict said:
    > @redwingsgirl514 The files are in the same place where you would find your Saves folder, as well as a bunch of other files key to running the game. I'm on a mac, so mine are in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\; if you're on a PC yours may be under My Documents but will still be located in the Sims 3 folder. Again, the cache files are as follows:
    >
    > CASPartCache.package
    > scriptCache.package
    >
    > The folder entitled CurrentGame (which should always be empty when you're not actually running the game) will be in this same TS3 folder and should be cleared out if there's anything in it; when your game crashes, there will sometimes be files left over in there.

Obviously I need to work on learning the ins and outs of the files on my computer. I've always been scared I was going to delete something I needed, so I've never touched them.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    > @puzzlezaddict said:
    >
    > CASPartCache.package
    > scriptCache.package
    >

I'm not very tech-y. I find my saved game files on the screen that lets you pick out an old game, start a new game, and shows you your sim points total. There's somewhere else to find them?

I searched for one of the file names and got results in my libraries. Is that what I'm deleting? Ugh, I need tech support. lol

Click on computer C drive, Than click on documents folder, than click on electronic arts folder, then click on the sims 3 folder. In the sims 3 folder delete files that have package written on the end of them.
  • Options
    SilasWaxxSilasWaxx Posts: 1 New Member
    Good morning. I just bought hp pavilion desktop 570-p054 yesterday and I've been trying to run Sims 3 on it. But it either crashes during the loading screen or shortly thereafter. Can anyone help out?
  • Options
    > @puzzlezaddict said:
    >
    > CASPartCache.package
    > scriptCache.package
    >

Obviously I need to work on learning the ins and outs of the files on my computer. I've always been scared I was going to delete something I needed, so I've never touched them.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    SilasWaxx wrote: »
    Good morning. I just bought hp pavilion desktop 570-p054 yesterday and I've been trying to run Sims 3 on it. But it either crashes during the loading screen or shortly thereafter. Can anyone help out?
    Hi there. Are we talking about the base game alone here, or are there EPs installed as well?

The stock version of the HP with that exact model number comes with an integrated video chip (not a dedicated card) and only 4 GB of RAM. Some of the heavier EPs would probably be impossible to play on that (Pets, Seasons, maybe IP and ITF depending on how many you have) or at least certainly not play very well. Price is not a sole factor when it comes to new desktops, but one should reasonably expect to pay at least $750 USD for a new desktop at current prices to run TS3 with all EPs. There are usually bargains to be had, but this one appears to be in a much lower class of machines, really not meant for graphics intensive games.

It is also possible that in addition to the above you are getting bad effects from the recent Windows 10 Creators Update. It just doesn't "play" well with older games and in fact not so much with many newer ones. Here are some detailed steps in getting its features disabled.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15902876/#Comment_15902876
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    > @puzzlezaddict said:
    >
    > CASPartCache.package
    > scriptCache.package
    >

If you delete the five files listed, and only those files, in the location described it may be that nothing will change or be helped. Or it may solve some of your current issues. But no harm will be done.

If you do not know how to navigate through your Documents folder or how to delete a file, sorry but I suggest that you get some in-person assistance from someone who can help guide you through these instructions.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    MelHub92MelHub92 Posts: 75 Member
    Hi again, so something someone told me to do must have worked because no more BSODs. So that's great, but now it freezes. It doesnt seem to matter what town or house and it is an inconsistent timeframe. Sometimes it takes a couple minutes other times hours. The music/sound still plays and the trees still move but time and sims freeze.
  • Options
    sarahmagoosarahmagoo Posts: 4 New Member
    I installed The Sims 3 yesterday and it wouldn't recognise my graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050) so I successfully did that fix where it now says Found 1 Matched 1. Played it yesterday and everything ran perfectly fine. Today my laptop did an update (windows 10), I went to run the game and now it's not recognising the card anymore, I went into DeviceConfig and it thinks it's running a different card altogether and now says Found 0 Matched 1.

The only other change I made was adding NRAAS Story Progression before I started it up today, I don't think that would've affected anything and I'm pretty sure the update did it but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Any ideas? Thanks.
  • Options
    sarahmagoo wrote: »
    I installed The Sims 3 yesterday and it wouldn't recognise my graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050) so I successfully did that fix where it now says Found 1 Matched 1. Played it yesterday and everything ran perfectly fine. Today my laptop did an update (windows 10), I went to run the game and now it's not recognising the card anymore, I went into DeviceConfig and it thinks it's running a different card altogether and now says Found 0 Matched 1.

The only other change I made was adding NRAAS Story Progression before I started it up today, I don't think that would've affected anything and I'm pretty sure the update did it but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Any ideas? Thanks.
    I am assuming you edited your two sgr files in Program Files (x86), wherever it is in there that the TS3 base game is installed, to get formal recongnition of your video card. NRaas mods won't have any impact on that and neither will Win 10 updates. But what can gum up the works is the Win 10 Creators Update from last year (and I suppose any updates to that in turn). It just doesn't work well with older games like TS3. Or, in fact, many newer ones.

If this is the problem, perhaps the steps outlined here will help.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15902876/#Comment_15902876
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    > @igazor said:
    > sarahmagoo wrote: »
    >
    > I installed The Sims 3 yesterday and it wouldn't recognise my graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050) so I successfully did that fix where it now says Found 1 Matched 1. Played it yesterday and everything ran perfectly fine. Today my laptop did an update (windows 10), I went to run the game and now it's not recognising the card anymore, I went into DeviceConfig and it thinks it's running a different card altogether and now says Found 0 Matched 1.
    >
    > The only other change I made was adding NRAAS Story Progression before I started it up today, I don't think that would've affected anything and I'm pretty sure the update did it but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks.
    >
    >
    >
    > I am assuming you edited your two sgr files in Program Files (x86), wherever it is in there that the TS3 base game is installed, to get formal recongnition of your video card. NRaas mods won't have any impact on that and neither will Win 10 updates. But what can gum up the works is the Win 10 Creators Update from last year (and I suppose any updates to that in turn). It just doesn't work well with older games like TS3. Or, in fact, many newer ones.
    >
    > If this is the problem, perhaps the steps outlined here will help.

This is a brand new laptop so I'm still getting used to it, and I figured out it was using a weaker Intel graphics card that was on it instead of the Nvidia one. Seems like the solution was to simply update the Nvidia graphics card. Thanks for the response though!
  • Options
    Ugh, sorry for the formatting on my above post
  • Options
    So far it looks like just one character's saves were never saved. Can one Sim get corrupted?
  • Options
    KyraS90KyraS90 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hey everyone, been a while since I had to ask for help with an issue with Sims 3 :'( hopefully someone will be able to help me out.

So the issue is, I recently got a new laptop etc etc, and reinstalling The Sims3. Went to re-download all the content I purchased from the store, some time ago, and they're no longer there?! Does the purchase history reset or something after a period of time?

The 2 worlds I recently purchased are there, but none of the furniture sets, create-a-sim items etc. I had quite a few and I'd hate to have to purchase them again.

Any help is appreciated!

Kyra
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    KyraS90 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, been a while since I had to ask for help with an issue with Sims 3 :'( hopefully someone will be able to help me out.

So the issue is, I recently got a new laptop etc etc, and reinstalling The Sims3. Went to re-download all the content I purchased from the store, some time ago, and they're no longer there?! Does the purchase history reset or something after a period of time?

The 2 worlds I recently purchased are there, but none of the furniture sets, create-a-sim items etc. I had quite a few and I'd hate to have to purchase them again.

Any help is appreciated!

Kyra
    Hi there. No, purchases do not reset over time. But is it possible that somehow you ended up with two TS3 store accounts, tied to different email addresses? Regardless, I'm afraid that only EA Customer Service can assist with getting your purchased items back or merging different accounts, if that's possible. It has to be a real time conversation, by either browser chat or telephone callback, whichever is available in your area and time zone.

Look for the HELP menu at the bottom of these forum pages on full-sized browser windows or try http://help.ea.com
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    simmeralexissimmeralexis Posts: 2 New Member
    hi guys, i put mods in my mods folder, a few months ago i got a dorm loft bed from verakena so i tryed to get others that were theirs, but it didnt work. only the dorm loft bed works! ive had this problem for ages. i have about 100 mods in my folder but i only have 1 that works :(
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    hi guys, i put mods in my mods folder, a few months ago i got a dorm loft bed from verakena so i tryed to get others that were theirs, but it didnt work. only the dorm loft bed works! ive had this problem for ages. i have about 100 mods in my folder but i only have 1 that works :(
    Hi there. Can we confirm please, which version of the game are you playing? I've only found veranka's dorm loft bed for TS4, but this isn't the TS4 section of the forum. The game versions are very different from each other. Also, the .package file formats may look the same but you cannot mix and match TS2, TS3, and TS4 content and expect any of it to work, in case that might be part of the problem.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    gossygossy Posts: 5 New Member
    Hi everyone, I'm having issues with lag in build/buy and slow loading times. It takes about five minutes for the first loading screen, then 15-20 minutes for the next one. I've tried so many things to make my game work but unfortunately nothing has really affected my load times nor the lag. I don't have any large saves because I just installed the sims 3 and 6 expansions about a week ago. I also have around 4gb of cc.

Specs:
    AMD Dual-Core Processor a9-9420
    AMD Radeon R5 graphics
    6 GB DDR4 Memory
    Windows 10
    (hope that's alright)

I've tried deleting cache files, compressing my cc, running the game without cc, using parkcontrol, fpslimiter and 3booter, gamebooster, changing my graphicscard.sgr to recognize my card, but so far nothing has really changed. Anyone have any tips to help me out?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    gossy wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm having issues with lag in build/buy and slow loading times. It takes about five minutes for the first loading screen, then 15-20 minutes for the next one. I've tried so many things to make my game work but unfortunately nothing has really affected my load times nor the lag. I don't have any large saves because I just installed the sims 3 and 6 expansions about a week ago. I also have around 4gb of cc.

Specs:
    AMD Dual-Core Processor a9-9420
    AMD Radeon R5 graphics
    6 GB DDR4 Memory
    Windows 10
    (hope that's alright)

I've tried deleting cache files, compressing my cc, running the game without cc, using parkcontrol, fpslimiter and 3booter, gamebooster, changing my graphicscard.sgr to recognize my card, but so far nothing has really changed. Anyone have any tips to help me out?
    Could be a number of different things. May I ask which EPs you have in play?

The one that screams out first though is that you may be expecting too much from that system. Usually we say 6 GB of RAM is plenty, and for the game it is, but if other processes are running away with too much like Windows itself, web browsers, or other things running at the same time, there may not be enough left for the game to use.

R5 graphics are integrated. Some of the EPs practically demand a dedicated graphics card. If your game is running in spite of the startup lag, it is using up processor power and RAM that a dedicated card could otherwise handle. Between the heavier running EPs if you have those and the 4 GB of CC (that's a lot!), there may not be much of a path to better performance here.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    lar0jalar0ja Posts: 49 Member
    THANK YOU SIM-JESUS! I'm so frustrated that I can't post a new topic for this like it probably needs, since I'm still technically a "new" member (despite being an active simmer since 2001).

My gaming PC is still running Windows 7, but I want to upgrade it to Windows 10. I'd really prefer to do a clean install of the OS to help address some other issues going on with my computer. I should be able to back up the tray and saves and then copy them to my computer once I'm done with the install, right?
  • Options
    lar0jalar0ja Posts: 49 Member
    Oh man, I just realized I posted this to the wrong thread. I meant to do this for Sims 4, not Sims 3. Sorry, please disregard.
  • Options
    lar0ja wrote: »
    Oh man, I just realized I posted this to the wrong thread. I meant to do this for Sims 4, not Sims 3. Sorry, please disregard.
    In case you haven't already found it, I believe that this is the thread you want. :)
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/878318/thread-for-new-members-to-post-game-issues#latest
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top