Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is this a corrupted save? And if so..

thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
WleMUXG.png

I have not opened the save file yet.

.. I remember reading somewhere that this is a sign of a corrupted save. Luckily I had just started it yesterday, so I'm not losing anything.
Got an Error Code 16 when saving, so I just quit without saving. But the save's still there? I assume it's corruption.

Basically wondering if it's okay to just leave it there and start a new save, or is it okay to delete it?
Thanks.
EDIT: Just realized the save date is wrong too.. oh no.
Should say yesterday or something like that.

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2018
    Error 16 tends to mean that your hard drive is full or something like file corruption interfered with the save so that it couldn't complete. A partial game save of course cannot be loaded. So easy things first, how large is the drive on which you are playing and how much free space does it have left?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    It’s also possible you didn’t choose an active family yet? Then there’s nothing wrong with the save, it just can’t show a house and a family.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    That's about how my save file looked in that game where my active family had their baby taken by the social worker after it loaded into a UI failure when I tried to load it again and it couldn't load without throwing a message telling me my save was too corrupted to load.I'd been having wrong interactions attatched to sims like adults getting toddler or pet interactions after glitching to toddler size with adult sized heads and toddlers getting adult interactions just before the UI failure.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    I basically didn't have enough room to save at the time, hence, the error code 16. Freed up some space however, so I don't think this'll happen again.
    I'm just wondering if it's safe to just ignore this save and start a new one.
  • Options
    Have you tried opening it yet? Maybe there's nothing wrong with it? It's always safe to open a save (if it's corrupted you simply get that notification) and also to start a new one. But I'd want to know first if there's actually something wrong with it if I were you.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I'm just wondering if it's safe to just ignore this save and start a new one.

Sure. You can delete it from the save game chooser screen, or delete the folder directly from your Saves folder.
  • Options
    I just did a test concerning the home menu. This is a save from a game with no active family:

qFhaD1b.png

As you can see it looks very similar to yours. One difference that could indicate this is not the case here: there is no family name on the right in my case, there is in yours (which implies your save does have an active family).

I accidently bumped into another out-of-the-ordinary save in the menu (not related, but to show the menu may show empty icons at times without meaning the game is corrupted):

tzsZKac.png

That's a very old save of mine I played years ago. The save itself didn't cause any issue, I played it till I left it with the next heir. There just seemed to be an issue with the lot. Never figured out what precisely, I could play in that house without a problem. It just didn't show in the icon.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
  • Options
    The only thing is.. it's showing an incorrect date and time as to when I last opened it.

And yes, the family name is still showing, so, yeah.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited January 2018
    The only thing is.. it's showing an incorrect date and time as to when I last opened it.

And yes, the family name is still showing, so, yeah.

It looks like a corrupt save. Go into documents, electronic arts, the sims 3 and then saves folder. Delete any bad saves . It will then remove the bad save from your launcher automatically
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    Though I can hardly imagine it was a tent (those are always in their inventory), there was a chest in that household. So I indeed think it must have had something to do with that then.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    If you haven't previously looked in your saves folder, there's a chance the game might have made a backup of that save. It won't show in the menu, because it has .backup added to the end of the file name. If you find one like that, delete the .backup extension, and it will show up in the menu. The game doesn't always save backups, but it's worth checking for one if you haven't already.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    @phoebebebe13 -I've had a save that looked like that thunbnail for the game where my family's baby had been taken by the social worker earlier in that save and it started looking like that just before the load into my UI failure and the time it failed to load and told me the save was too corrupted to load.It actually was corrupted by the baby being removed when the social worker took it away.I had adults glitched to toddler height with adult sized heads that could only do toddler or pet interactions and toddlers with adult interactions just before the UI failure.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    polrbearpolrbear Posts: 939 Member
    My main save now has that picture...but that's because there are too many sims living there to generate a family picture. However, on my save the house still shows in the bottom thumbnail. My save is fine, I hope yours is okay too :/
    I play Sims 2, Sims 3, Sims 4, and The Urbz: Sims in the City on gamecube and ds. Main Game: Sims 352033322186_3a08467dc6_o.png
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    The Sims 3 needs free disk space to run properly too. Make sure you have plenty of Free disk space. You'll need more than just enough to save the game.
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    In can also mean that you were in Edit Town mode at the time of the save.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2018
    Karritz wrote: »
    The Sims 3 needs free disk space to run properly too. Make sure you have plenty of Free disk space. You'll need more than just enough to save the game.
    Yes, definitely this.

Many seem to be skipping over what the original problem was here. The player had an Error 16 upon trying to save because they ran out of drive space. If Windows and the game are installed on the same drive, there needs to be at least 10-15% free space in order for things to even have a chance to function correctly and at no time, whether the game is running already or not, should free space ever be below around 30 GB (on most drives, depending on some other variables). When things are cut too close or the game and Windows itself does not have enough free space in which to maneuver, all kinds of unwanted and unexpected things can happen.

A hard drive running something as dynamic (ever changing) like the operating system or the game is not like a refrigerator, you can't fill it to capacity and expect things to still work right. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I sort of concluded that since they quit without saving and the date of this save is older, that this was a previous save (before the error). And empty icons as such don’t necessarily mean a save is corrupted. I wonder if the OP has tried to open it by now.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    I haven't opened it still. Just started a new one. Thanks for your responses, though.
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    @thesimmer14

Hi.

Just a little more insight into error 16 should it happen again (I have dealt with this one on a rather frequent basis).

EA lists the error as 'undefined', which mean 'something' occurred which stopped the save from progressing normally, sometimes its a near full disk and sometimes its not (my drive is mostly empty and I occasionally still get the error). When this pops up, generally using the 'Save As' will resolve the issue, so there's no need to abandon your game or chalk it up to a loss.

Here's a couple of links for a bit more info into the various errors:

Crinrict:
    https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/03/error-save-errors-error-12-13-or-16.html

The Sims Wiki:
    http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Save_game_error

-Happy Simming!